Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Delta and the Bannermen really captures the feeling of being trapped in a poo poo holiday resort and being convinced that you're going to die there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Bicyclops posted:

I mean those are all pretty bad tbf.

I liked Martha's initial departure and I liked Clara's, though.

Probably everyone has at least one or two companion departures that worked for them (for me it was Donna and Bill), but as always the loudest voices predominate every time so it looks like "oh the fans hate everything". Problem of viewing fandom in the aggregate.

Plus the series finales were often derided as overloaded, disappointing messes (again, by different people at different times) and that will color peoples' impressions of the accompanying companion departures.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The perfect opportunity for a departure was God Complex/The Girl Who Waited (even better if the episodes had happened in that order). Both episodes were so well crafted in showing the maturation of Amy and Rory's relationship, and how their relationship to the Doctor was no longer the childlike wonder it once was, and how maintaining both relationships wasn't sustainable. The choice to leave would have felt like a natural, organic consequence of their character growth... but then they stuck around for another half series so it was 'magic time travel barrier goodbye forever'.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

they kept the giant clam right

• Locked thread