Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So I found out The Holy Terror was on Spotify and listened to it today on the commute to and from work.

Well.

Well that was a thing that happened.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burkion posted:

Here's the secret to Doctor Who

Don't give a poo poo what other people think because no one agrees.

No one even agrees on why they like or DON'T like certain things.

I'm sure some one somewhere out there doesn't like Power of the Daleks

And that's fine

Just like what you like and don't like what you don't

I don’t like this post :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

That could have been a really good audio if they didn't have the shittiest possible voice/effect for the little kid.

I dunno, it was offkilter but still worked for me. Everything else was an exercise in badly written tropes executed by a madman, so it being hilariously done but still unsettling was perfect. This is my opinion and everyone else here has it too, in the Doctor Who TVIV thread where we all agree at all times.

Anyway next up is Spare Parts, get the gently caress in

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's still really good, but boy that voice does hurt it.

I SAID WE AGREE AT ALL TIMES :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

the nightmare child's voice rules, actually

this guy knows what's up :hai:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

I think my one note on Spare Parts would be ‘make the Committee more understandable’.

Yup. They’re okay as long as they don’t have background machine noise but while they’re thinking about something, oy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

misadventurous posted:

I had no idea there were Big Finish audios on Spotify, that rips

I thought there were like 3-4 as a sample and then I did a quick search and holy poo poo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
On my morning commute tour of the thread's greatest hits, I listened to Chimes of Midnight today. Does Eight flippantly break causal time as a general rule, or just for Charlie? It's the former, isn't it? I should hope so, since he's doing a very good job of it. It'd be terrible to have all that talent go to waste.

Astroman posted:

Would probably be as excited for this as I was Prisoner, War Doctor, and 10th Doctor.

Wait back the poo poo up. They have The Prisoner audios?!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pesky Splinter posted:

That would be telling.

Seriously though, listen to them - they're loving great.

I want information! Information! Information!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The Chokes McGee Big Finish Work Commute continues with The Genocide Machine! I'm pretty excited because, other than getting murked at the beginning of the TV movie, I've never seen Seven in action before. He's kind of sinister :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Edward Mass posted:

Wait, hold on. You're listening to a McCoy Big Finish BEFORE you've actually seen a McCoy serial?!? Has the world gone mad?!?!?!?!?!?

Oh my yes, quite mad. Quite mad indeed.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Just got done listening to the Marian Conspiracy, and—

cargohills posted:

Please just watch the old show. It’s better, mostly.

Better? Better?!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trin Tragula posted:

They call me Theta
Ka Faraq Gatri
They call me Doc
But, Sarah-Jane
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name

Are you calling me Basil
Are you calling me John Smith

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Listening to Shadow of the Scourge and this exchange nearly made me drive off the highway laughing:

Seven: Isn’t it obvious :smug:
Entire Cast: NO

That and Ace’s “you’ve betrayed me you’ve betrayed me :jerkbag:” still have me occasionally giggling like an idiot.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I really wish I could have liked that story, unfortunately it captured the feel of the 7th Doctor's era just a bit too much - I could easily imagine this having been produced on television during the JNT era and I don't mean that as a compliment.

That said, I loving loved when the Doctor's arrogant, condescending attitude/plan completely and spectacularly blows up in his face which causes him to spend the rest of the story getting back on even keel and slowly, inch by inch regaining the upper hand. That was VERY good.

Shockingly I disagree, it’s really good! :)

It is pretty much Seven Gets :owned: though and it’s just the right mix of sarcastic levity and absolute horror for me. Companion dynamic is great too. Ace is such a lovable clod :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I just want you to know this went neither unnoticed nor unappreciated.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PantsOptional posted:

Just finished up Holy Terror, which was also my first exposure to Frobisher. Even knowing (sort of) what I was getting into, I definitely wasn’t ready for either his voice or the voice of the Big Bad.

Frobisher sounds exactly how I expected him to tbh.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Twelve very much followed the same personality arc as six (plus big finish) and I will always regret that he never travelled with a talking penguin. :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Boston has a ton of pub crawls. Themed pub crawls, holiday pub crawls, literary pub crawls. I like the ones where you stop in Cheers for one drink and watch a bunch of traveling business bros ask everyone to "do the accent." My friends used to try to do the ones that tagged Penguin Pizza because one of them had a beer passport from there that he was trying to fill up.

One time I went on one that ended with watching the X-Men movie with Kevin Bacon in it. It did not have Kelsey Grammer as the blue furry person. I think it is the fourth one. I had never seen any of the X-Men movies before, and I am not much of a superhero person, but I did enjoy pub crawls, and one of my closest friends had just been through a breakup, so I thought I could both have fun and be moral support.

About halfway through the movie, Hugh Jackman was in the movie and told the cast to gently caress off, and I didn't understand why, but I was excited that Hugh Jackman showed up out of nowhere, but I said to myself "That's it? He can't just disappear, there has to be a Prestige," but as far as I remember, there wasn't a Prestige, and he was just in those ten seconds. The movie had Nazis and most people didn't have superhero costumes but Kevin Bacon wore a big green helmet, and that seemed very funny, but I tried to keep my laughter to myself, because I think even when you're drunk, if you're in a movie theater, it's nice to let other people enjoy the movie if they want to. It was probably a very simple movie to follow, but I had consumed many beers, and one of my friends, who had also consumed many beers, was upset about a breakup, and his ex was there.

At the end of the evening the woman that I was vaguely interested in went home with somebody else, and my friend got weepy drunk after his ex left, and the guy with the Penguin Pizza passport never did fill it up, but I remember walking almost four miles home because the T had stopped running, and thinking that it was pretty good to be young, and to do some night walking in the city, and that there were a lot of great bars with a lot of interesting people.

That's my pitch for pub crawls, thank you for listening.

Thanks for checking in Tom, big fan btw

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The more I listen to seven’s audios, the more I’m convinced if I didn’t know who they were you could put him and Simms’ master in the same episode and I wouldn’t know who was who (:haw:) until the very end.

Best of intentions my arse.

e: tbf at least he knows it. Shadow of the Scourge is pretty good at revealing just what he (and the other doctors) thinks of himself.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 3, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Unless you're, you know, listening to their voices?

How... would I know their voices if I didn’t already know them? :thunk:

I mean I kind of see what you’re saying, but you have to admit, Sly’s nasal delivery sounds awfully sinister sometimes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

I love this gif so much.

I disobeyed the Time Lords

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I hope this was meant to be read in a dalek voice because that’s how I heard it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

That would have been EX-PLAIN though right?

don’t care dalek voice

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doctor Zero posted:

IT IS... NOWW

THE DA-LEKS HAVE SU-PER-I-OR POSTING TECH-NO-LO-GY

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

A very nice thread about someone (not me) meeting Eccelston at a con:

https://twitter.com/daddaughterdr/status/993190121875927040

This part stood out to me:

https://twitter.com/daddaughterdr/status/993190138002976768

do it do a big finish audio

it's just one you don't have to do another one unless you want to

capaldi put the gun away, I said not yet

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

If anyone wants to try their hand at writing for Big Finish, the third annual Paul Spragg Memorial is open. This time you can write for any Doctor up through the 12th; excluding the War Doctor.

OH REALLY

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Idea: Sixth Doctor finally encounters something he honestly doesn't know, can't handle it. Suspicion that he can't possibly be wrong leads him to discover a conspiracy of a temporal blind spot. :hmmyes:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Oh, finishing up Sirens of Time today. I'm a sucker for anthology with linkers format, and throwing in a multi-doctor segment to top it off is just the best.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

The 7th Doctor materializes the TARDIS in an office tearoom because he could really use a cuppa. As he pours in the milk, he suddenly finds himself in the middle of a multi-year 5th-dimensional chess masterclass by a genius strategist who is pulling off an incredible coup involving billions of individual threads all coming together in absolutely perfect choreographed harmony. The Doctor is able to turn it all around on itself and trap the genius strategist in a web of his own making, then drinks his tea to celebrate.

It is still hot.

no no you have to write a new episode

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

Although I always had an idea for a story where Peri's supposed background as a botanist came into play - someone is trying to come up with a workable hydroponics system for space travel but the soil he's using came from a centuries-old meteor strike...

Her stuff in "...ish" really surprised me. Plus, it's nice to see her and Six legitimately having fun together instead of constantly being at each other's throats.

CobiWann posted:

A story where the Eighth Doctor does NOT get amnesia.

Oh now this is just implausible.

I think.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Mine doesn’t! But he does reference it...

How would he know? :thunk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

She's like Colin, Tom, and Frazer in that you want to hire them to read you your favorite books and do the voice acting for your favorite video games.

"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets."
"Pile of secrets? Pile of secrets?!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

dear god i HEARD it

I’m currently writing Six fanfic for an audio play company contest and wondering what twists and turns of my life led me here

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I know this was meant to be Colin but it also works for Tom

I would go with a nonplussed "Oh, well...." instead as his reaction, but yeah :)

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, sometimes its nice to think back about all the good decisions we made that lead us to our current happy state of being :)

There's only one force in the universe that could cause a crude temporal blind spot to appear in the Fractal Empire of Phobetor, and—gods help me—I'm putting a Weeping Angel into this story. :gonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

What the gently caress? Tom Baker! :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, the 14th Doctor.

Excuse me, sir, he prefers to be called the Curator. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

It was there all along and we never realized it

:aaaaa:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
synopsis written, time to fill in this skeleton with lovely writing *cracks knuckles*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

After The War posted:

Oh, Castellan Hootsworth was there the whole time, we just never saw Tom pull him out of his pocket onscreen.

Frobisher workin the long con, I see

• Locked thread