Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

You know I'm way late to they party but I want to say I find this utterly delightful, totally Tom, and thank all those responsible for exposing me to it. Yes, thank you for exposing me to Tom's cock (story). Seriously if this shocked you you really don't know Tom Baker and you didn't have a dick as a teenager. Not that I jerked it in company. But one can imagine it would have been just like this. I mean it captures the mentality of that age and sex perfectly. IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Jerusalem posted:

The Eaters of Light is remarkable for one reason: it was written Rona Munro. Why is that remarkable? Because Munro also wrote Survival, which was the last ever episode of the classic run of Doctor Who. This makes her, to date, the only writer to have worked on television episodes of the classic series AND the revival (other classic series writers like Terrance Dicks have written revival era content in other media, and several "wilderness years" writers came on to work on the revival).

Great review overall but this point threw me for loop. At first I thought you must be wrong but then I remembered there has been at least one director who worked in both eras but I haven't heard tell of writers before now. Which begs the question: Where's Ben Aaronovitch's invitation to write for the revival? Anyone else reading the Peter Grant books? Dude's one of my favorites. I'd go so far as to say he's a good writer. And his first job was writing for the classic series. Specifically, two of Sylv's best stories. This man may very well have written the immortal words, "Unlimited rice pudding," and he hasn't been asked back?!

(I say "may very well have" as a C.Y.A since, given the nature of script writing, that specific line could have been Cartmel's, the director's, an ad-lib or suggested by any one present at the time really. But it was delivered in a story with Aaronovitch's byline so I'll assume it's his work.)

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Watching the series on Twitch -- it's been fantastic to revisit so many of the serials I haven't been able to see in quite some time without a BritBox subscription and/or much of a DVD collection. Shotgunning them like this is really taking me back to the joy of first discovering the show on PBS when I was a kid and reaffirming my personal conviction that Series 14 was The Best Series. (I don't mean to be contentious it's highly personal if not especially controversial opinion.)

One thing that really surprised me, though, is that Horror of Fang Rock was produced by Graham Williams and aired as the first serial of series 15. If I knew that I'd totally forgotten. I think I can be forgiven for lumping it in with series 14 in my head.

This leads to my question: This isn't really a Williams joint is it? I mean, it can't be. Was it all approved and whatnot by Hinchcliffe and just held over? I know that happened with, for example, Robot being a Letts story that Hinchcliffe was just nominally in charge of. I know this shift is explicitly to do with Mary Whitehouse and all of that but is there more story here? How quickly did Hinchcliffe leave the show?

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

well, bored at work, time to fire up wikipedia and take a quick spin around the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Kafka%27s_It%27s_a_Wonderful_Life

:stare:

e: I mean I'm sure other people knew about it already but wow

I only sort of knew about it because I randomly just saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKPnb5MoRs&t=157s
but didn't really know anything about Capaldi's film itself. So, thanks!

• Locked thread