Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Was RTD unable to budget correctly as well or was there some creative reason for why we only got 4 eps that one year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rirse posted:

Got to give props to the original cybermen for killing two doctors on the same mission.

If they were going to do that, maybe they actually should have had the finale of the season set on Mondas and actually led up to the Christmas special rather than having a parallel but separate Cyberman story?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Having somehow got through most of the original show now, I still find I was least engaged during Peter Davisons run. Something about his low key playing of the character mixed with his often outright obnoxious companions made most of his run a real slog for me. Nobody ever seemed to be enjoying themselves.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I can certainly understand the dislike of Colin Bakers run at the time, being as it was what the show was going to be, going forward, as far as anybody knew, but in the aftermath of what I saw as a somewhat disappointing and staid run by Davison, the crazy aesthetic, ultra-violence, and very 80s feel was something of a pleasant change for me. It also helped that I knew my Favorite Doctor was coming back, even if it was in a less than stellar story, and that it wasn't going to be a run I would have to deal with for long.

McCoy I like quite a bit, even if I still haven't powered through the last few eps yet.

Addendum: Davison's last serial is definitely his best, as is often remarked upon when trying to figure out a good episode to represent his run. My choice? Probably Enlightenment, as images from that episode stand out most in my mind out of any in other in his run, and I am a willing apologist for style if substance is wanting.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Azhais posted:

Disney/Marvel get the rights back?

Will if the Fox Film studio to Disney sale goes through I think.

Outside the scope of the thread, but on the subject of Reed Richards, I feel we missed out at some point on the best choice for the character with Peter Weller.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tom Baker's companions stood out just fine until his last season where he started picking up the people who were gonna travel with 5. If 2's Jamie plus Victoria/Zoe crew weren't around I would say 4 easily had the best companions.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I love Wargames sooo much. The ending is crushing and it is one of those rare cases where I am actually glad later writers went out of their way to soften it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

After The War posted:

I do stand by my suggestion of watching all the Dalek episodes, at least from "Genesis" on. They tend to encapsulate a lot of what's best and worst about each era.

(Don't worry, they were a lot less frequent in Classic Who! Doctors 5-7 only had one Dalek serial each.)

There have been carefully put together lists of episodes at the beginning of each thread as far as I can remember and while it wouldn't be as bad as suggesting someone watch all the Cyberman episodes, the Dalek episodes are in general far from the best each run has to offer. Worse, they have a habit of being tonally off from the rest of a given Doctors run. Take Genesis for example, I would say it is absolutely the most serious you will ever see Tom Baker in the role, and it is worth it for that, but it kind of feels off for him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Heh heh, there eh, can't be anything in old Who worse than Aliens of London, right? Right!?

For better and worse, bad classic Doctor Who is generally dull and draggy rather than idiotic.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I said generally?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If the Five Doctors was in any way worth it for anything but some of the performances, I would consider it a massive waste of potential in how it handled Susan. That said, it is what it is and I enjoy it for 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I will admit I was more excited at my immediate assumption that this was spoiler about the 9th episode of the next season but still, hooray!

• Locked thread