Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Jerusalem posted:

I was convinced there was something more to it and it was all gonna make a lot of sense in retrospect.

When it was all done, it.... kinda did. Sorta. A little. Maybe? ....but not really :sigh:

But gently caress it we got Heaven Sent out of it so in the end it was all worth it!

I kinda liked the pay-off to the Hybrid thing, and how it revealed that Missy put Clara and the Doctor together in hopes they'd break the loving universe, and it NEARLY WORKED. :allears:
but a lot of season 9 was rocky. Aside from the Doctor's incredible speech at the end, the Zygon two-parter is rubbish. Sleep No More might be the worst episode of Capaldi's run, and I might put it in the bottom ten of Moffat's tenure. the season opening two-parter is really uneven. Maisie Williams is a pretty limited actress, which isn't a problem in her first episode, where the character's entirely within her wheelhouse, but becomes more of a problem in every subsequent episode.
but I have a lot of fondness for Under the Lake/Before the Flood, Face the Raven is dope, Heaven Sent is unimpeachable, and that Capaldi masterclass showcase everyone was waiting for when they cast him. and I like Hell Bent more than most.
season 8 is more consistent and coherent, and season 10 is more fun, but 9 is weird and sort of experimental in a way I find fascinating. It doesn't work the way Moffat wanted, but I'm sort of expecting Chibnall's first season is going to most closely resemble a more upbeat version of it, structurally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

man, that hiatus almost destroyed my interest in Who. and then The Return of Doctor Mysterio came out, and it was....kinda equivalent to a lovely RTD era special.
Fortunately s10 was mostly decent, if sort of superfluous, like anything Moffat hadn't managed to say about the Doctor in the Smith years, he got out in 8/9. So season 10's kinda an "ugh, nobody's ready to take over for me? I have to make another season? gently caress. Okay." and for whatever reason he thought it would be a good idea to bring back the guy who wrote In the Forest of the Night. To be fair, Smile comes across as a decent episode that needed another script pass. And then it's Harness and Whithouse who really let him down instead. lol. I'm imagining an alternate series 10 where the Monks three-parter actually works. :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

gently caress, watching those clips reminds me how much I love The Husbands of River Song. I think it's honestly her best story, and one of the best of Capaldi's run. For all Moffat bungled payoff for many of his running plotlines, he manages to bring River's story entirely full circle in a way that almost makes up for all the gently caress-ups. When I watch Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead again, it's just going to be that much harder. but this is sort of what Moffat likes to do - brutally put his characters through the ringer, but not without meaning, and not without some measure of happiness.
I think this is what people miss when they look at Moffat - he's not a heartless bastard. The kneejerk "it's a copout" to both Clara and Bill's endings is lazy, and for that matter betrays a certain kind of bloodlust. and for all people accuse Moffat of being sexist (and he has had missteps), leaving it at Clara dead and Bill cyberconverted would be worse, rendering them as only, in the end, tragedies that happened to the Doctor. Instead, while the Doctor gets them into the nightmare situations, ultimately Clara and Bill come out of it transcended. Twelve didn't create tragedies, ultimately. He generated two more Doctors!
I mean, I say this as someone who is really, really not a huge fan of killing characters off for drama, and thinks the emphasis on it among certain fans is beyond grotesque.

the ghost of Earthshock needs purging.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

There are some places where that big-heartedness wins out and some places where it doesn't, though. Clara's ending is extremely good in my opinion, but Amy and Rory's ending, which I think is trying to do much the same thing, is not, because it strains even Doctor Who belief and it was dragged out too much over half a season. I also think that having almost literally every companion Very Definitely Die, Forever, and also Very Definitely Not Die, and Live a Fulfilling Life starts to be a bit too much.

Like most of the Moffat era in that, when he was writing well and playing to his strengths, he was great, but viewed in the patter of all of his work on Doctor Who since 2005, there are quirks that, while totally fine in themselves, start to wear on you with repetition (nursery rhymes, a tendency toward rewriting things that happened before the show, a certain kind of femme fatale character, etc).

Even the best writers tend to recycle plot stuff. Though, honestly I wish Moffat would've had more of a collaborative approach rather than being the single defining creative voice. It not only put too much pressure on him, but there wasn't anybody to go "well, we've done this already, why not try something else?".
The more I think about it the more I like Chibnall going for a more collaborative approach. That seems like a recipe for avoiding burnout - and repetition.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

It seems like that it won't be until about November at this point :(

What? It's been pretty consistently October.
It is also worth noting that they are still filming the season, so the wait is normal. Allowance for a new production team, too.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Narsham posted:

Hmm.
Rose: ends up on an alternate Earth with her mum and dad and human Ten. Fan reaction? Cheesed.
Martha: ends up appearing briefly on Torchwood and then coupled with Micky out of nowhere. Fan reaction? Scornful.
Jack: gets to be immortal. Downside: stars on Torchwood. Fan reaction? Mixed.
Donna: ends up having her memory (and character growth) scrubbed after being the first non-Time Lord companion given the chance to be the Doctor's equal. Fan reaction? Deeply pleased and traumatized.
Amy and Rory: get separated from the Doctor by a Weeping Angel and live complete lives together in New York City. Fan reaction? Pissed.
River Song: "River Song has been saved." Fan reaction? Bemused, then annoyed.
Clara: Refuses to get the Donna send-off. Goes off in a TARDIS to have adventures with Me. Fan reaction? Cheesed again. A companion who isn't dead or brain-wiped is clearly a Mary Sue.
Bill: Goes off in a liquid whatever-it-is as a liquid with liquid girlfriend to have adventures. Immortality possible but unclear. Fan reaction? Eye-rolling.

Conclusion? Doctor Who fans are terrible. Signed, A Fan.

I would take Doctor Who fans over fans of most properties, still, given their biggest failings are lazy criticism, and never loving knowing what they actually want.
there's not anywhere near as much hosed-up sex stuff, sooooo...

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Give them time. I'm sure Jodie's going to get a fuckload of harassment once her series begins.

eeeesh, I don't even want to think about it. I'm just gonna have to not read any comments on Doctor Who articles and Youtube videos.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi! I heard the thirteenth doctor was a lady doctor, has she had any new episodes yet?

No?

How about now?

No?

Now?

No? :smith:

OCTOBER.

but we may get a trailer after SDCC.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not crazy about how organic it is. It looks like something plucked off the wall in 9/10’s TARDIS. I also think the wasp waist near the curve makes it look a bit odd. If they wanted it to be more ergonomic, they might have been better off keeping a uniform diameter throughout the whole thing. Something like Count Dooku’s saber, but with the molten/organic bits.

best thing about it - seems like the Doctor belatedly took Clara's advice, and made a screwdriver that won't roll. :haw:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I love stories of the people who played the Doctor interacting, and the Doctor Who Youtube channel just uploaded a real fun one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLT9BU8vQ0

Also, pointed out by the comments: she borrows the Brooklyn 99 'cool, coolcoolcoolcoolcool', because she's a huge fan. So it was probably her that got that photo to happen, and I'm slowly realizing that every single thing I learn about Jodie makes me like her more!

the entire panel is worth watching. biggest pleasant surprise is that Tosin Cole is fuckin' hilarious, and I hope that translates to his character in the show.
Jodie Whittaker remains an absolute delight, a sheer force of nature, and every bit of publicity she does, it becomes more clear why Chibnall cast her.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I'm getting so antsy waiting for the new season that I really want to watch some old Who. I know, I know, I'm a terrible revival-only fan. but reading almost the entirety of Sandifer's TARDIS Eruditorium sold me on the old stuff. The only full episode I've ever seen is an episode from Attack of the Cybermen, which, yikes.

Is there any easy way to watch any serials? Everything on Amazon streaming needs to be bought, and IIRC Netflix has none of it now.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

Check the OP.

thanks!

I'll have to think about whether I can afford Britbox. Maybe just until series 11 premieres? I think I'll start with Pertwee, because I'm not keen on reconstructions.

also, randomly, I watched the first few episodes of Sapphire and Steel on Amazon Prime, and that poo poo is AMAZING. Really slow, but ~atmospheric~, and the leads are great, especially Joanna Lumley. It's got a different feel than Who, but owes so much to it. Fascinating stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

York_M_Chan posted:

They are hopping around each for each day. Today is Season 1 episodes 1-11. Tomorrow is season 8.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule

I think they're scrambling the order of the Doctors. Nine, Twelve, Eleven, Ten, IIRC.

• Locked thread