Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I got into "Doctor Who" thanks to internet piracy and weed. One of the guys upstairs in my college apartment had a real problem with both, and was downloading everything in the world he could get his hands on, due to some weird compulsion to digitally hoard everything. One of the things he ended up finding was this weird British sci-fi show that was just coming back on the air. He and his buddies were into because of the camp value; I got into it because this really good actor from 28 Days Later was on it.

After Eccleston's season wrapped, I was actually put off of the show for a while due to HOW BAD the start of Tennant's first season was. Like, I downloaded the Christmas special plus the first 4 or 5 episodes of Season 2, got through the Special and episode 1 and gave up about 10 minutes into episode 2.* I got back into the show a year or so after college, though, when the tech nerds at my first job started bringing in their own pirated copies of season 3. Pulled some episodes out of an unlocked folder, burned them to DVD and took them home, wondering if the show got any better. I jumped back in at "42," and it's a good thing too; had I jumped back in at "The Shakespeare Code" or "The Lazarus Experiment" or God forbid the Dalek 2-parter, I don't think I would have stuck with it. Been hooked ever since.

*It's weird how the start of Tennant's run does almost nothing to establish the character of the Tenth Doctor with audiences, right? Between keeping him in a coma for almost the entire runtime of "The Christmas Invasion," having Tennant spend a good third of the runtime of "New Earth" pretending to be Cassandra, and then spend half of "Tooth and Claw" putting on (or taking off, I suppose) an accent, it feels like the show had no idea what his character was or how to establish him. Like, he has a moment or two in "New Earth" where you can see something forming, but he doesn't hit the ground running the way Matt Smith did later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

*Peter Capaldi voice* Oh, come on now, just wait for the new season, it has to start sometime soon, you can wait.
*Michelle Gomez voice* Why just the Matt Smith episodes? Britbox is so cheap, just watch them all, including the reproductions. :D

Is the implication here that 12 and Missy are acting as those stereotypical cartoon angel and devil on your shoulders?

Because I didn't know that was true for anyone else...

• Locked thread