Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

DoctorWhat posted:

The Sixth Doctor is Space Frasier.

le tardis volant!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rhyno posted:

The last IDW series wasn't terrible. The Forgotten. Fun concept and Frobisher showed up!

You're probably talking about The Prisoners of Time, The Forgotten is an earlier multi-Doctor story (and Frobisher-less as I recall, and definitely terrible).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rirse posted:

Here you go.

Of the titles I can see, The Time Meddler and Spearhead from Space are both great picks. Inferno, too, if you don't mind seven episodes (which you won't because they're all good).

EDIT: I also really like Paradise Towers but it's maybe more of an acquired taste

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 19, 2018

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Oh yeah, definitely watch at least Spearhead before Inferno.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Here's something cool I saw on Twitter! Andrew Skilleter, the guy who's done a bunch of covers for Doctor Who books, such as Virgin novels and Target novelisations, also made a second version of his artwork for the cover of The Five Doctors with Doctors Six through Ten:

(sorry for the low-res images though)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

David is King Peladon but I can't remember the other character. I forget who Michael Troughton was. This does not prove or disprove any point, I just enjoyed the impromptu trivia game.

One of the passengers in Midnight is played by a Son of Throughton, I'm not sure which but I'm assuming Michael (nor do I remember the character's name).

EDIT: Dammit I checked and it's David

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Speaking of Troughtons, this was just posted in the Movie Posters thread:

Palpek posted:

Woah, spooky.

Apparently Sylvester McCoy made an apparently lovely horror movie with Patrick's grandson Sam last year?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Question mark lapels for the jacket

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

Given that Castrovalva story and the fact that Troughton was the one who told Davison to only do the role for three years, I'm gonna go ahead and believe regardless of any other facts that he was actually secretly angling to slip back into the role :allears:

Getting Troughton back as the Doctor was kind of on the table at the time - that was Sydney Newman's suggestion on how to save the show during the 1985 hiatus!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Speaking of roundels, Clayton Hickman recently took an in-depth look at the history of roundel lighting: https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/status/978001316378234881?s=19

(it's exactly as exciting as it sounds, which is very)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
This rebranding even goes for Classic Who blu-ray releases, so its use in spinoff media is probably mandated by the BBC. I do like that they've apparently revamped the cover design for Monthly Releases in the same go, looks pretty good.

EDIT: The new Target novelisations still have the old logo, don't they? Even the New Series ones, funnily enough.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 19, 2018

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm doing a bit of spring cleaning and found a few Who books I might as well get rid of:

• Timewyrm: Genesys is absolute poo poo but I suppose it's historically significant for being the first NA novel as well as the first DW story where a historical figure gropes Ace (though probably not the last).
  • The Adventuress of Henrietta Street is pretty good, but I had two of these for some reason.
  • The Nth Doctor chronicles all the weird attempts at making a Doctor Who film, up to and including the TV Movie. This one's a lot of fun, actually.
  • Frontier Worlds is one of the better EDAs, plus it's more or less a standalone romp unconnected to any of the bigger arcs.
  • Cat's Cradle: Time's Crucible is boring as all hell
  • The Turing Test is good! It's got an amnesiac (of course) Eighth Doctor stumbling through WWII, alien plots, and Alan Turing's daydreams.
  • The Gallifrey Chronicles is pretty lore-heavy since it's the final EDA, but Lance Parkin makes it fun.
  • Mad Dogs and Englishmen is by noted mediocrity Paul Magrs, I haven't bothered reading it in the five years it's been sitting on my shelf and probably never will.

If these glowing reviews have enticed you and you would like some of these books, they're yours for just the postage fee! Send me an e-mail to forktoss (at) gmail . com telling me which books you'd like and where you'd like me to send them, and I'll figure out the shipping costs and get back to you. (Also maybe notify me in this thread so I'll know to check my mail.) Please note that I'll be shipping these from Finland and that might show in the postage fee, but I absolutely won't charge you anything for the books themselves.

I'll leave these up for grabs for a week or two, I think, but after that I'll drop them at the library or something. Still, if anyone is interested, hit me up!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
But if it's an audio, how can he tell where all the lights are? :ohdear:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I can't believe the Doctor's real name is Timemaster Anthony

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm seeing hubbub on Twitter that it's been somehow "confirmed" that a few missing episodes are apparently known to be in the possession of private collectors, but they haven't been handed over. Is there a real source for this, or is it just rumours again?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Right, now I know what that small-scale Twitter storm was all about. Restoration Team member and missing episode person-in-the-know Paul Vanezis was interviewed on the Radio Free Skaro podcast yesterday, and here's what he said:

Paul Vanezis posted:

There is absolutely no question that there are missing Doctor Who films out there with private film collectors. I know some of these collectors, and at some point they may be interested in handing over their films, but they are not the kind of people you should pressure into handing things over.

So yeah, Mugabe probably, I guess. He specifically says "one or two episodes" that he apparently knows of, though. I don't think we've had this sort of (semi-)official source confirm that collectors are for certain sitting on some episodes before this, or am I wrong?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Time hardly counts, it's so such a small domain.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

After The War posted:

I only just realized that this is exactly what "The Five Doctors" was... at least all the Prime Number Doctors up to that point.

It's even got a not-really-but-still-kinda One!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Doctor Zero posted:

Farmergeddons masterpiece has been taken off Youtube. :smith:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5sb07l

Finest aircraft in the world!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

After nearly 30 years, they’ve finally completed episode 1 of fan-film Devious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6KgHZgEvd8

Is the Pertwee cameo in this one or are they saving it for the finale in 2067?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
There was a welder Dalek all the way back in The Daleks as well, wasn't there?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

You could make an argument for Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon. You had Amy, Rory, River, and Canton Everett Delaware III and Richard Nixon

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I want Tomb of the Cybermen -style lever puzzle doors or no sale.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Open Source Idiom posted:

I badly want one of them to be Missy, but that's probably not gonna happen.

No, because she's obviously going to be all of them.

E: Except Jane Seymour who is going to be just a wax dummy

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 24, 2018

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Astroman posted:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/David_Burton

What in the actual gently caress?

https://lostmediawiki.com/Doctor_Who_(lost_pilot_episodes_of_British_sci-fi_TV_series;_1991)

How have I never hear if this/forgotten it? Was it covered in Lofficier's Nth Doctor book? (Can't be sure, not home to check my copy).

:psyduck:

I don't remember it being mentioned in Lofficier's book, but there's a short documentary about it on one of the DVDs. Burton even got a car for it:

The weirdest thing is nobody seems to be quite sure whether it actually ever happened or not. Not even David Burton seems entirely convinced.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Which DVD is it on? I assumed it would be most closely related to Survival or the TV Movie, but I don't think it's either of them.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Is it there because David Burton looks a bit like a Primoid?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that is nice, that's a hell of a job.

I have a vague recollection of somebody once posting color photos that were taken on set of The War Games, and the set colors were these incredibly vibrant and overly bright colors in order to get a nice shade of grey in the black and white footage. I always found that quite fascinating.

I remember these too - I think there were a few different photos, but this is the only one I could find.

I also remember seeing some colour BTS photos of The Mind Robber, which were really cool as well. I think the big white robots were actually lime green or something.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

(Sarah Jane won, by the way!)

LOCH

NESS

MONSTER

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The blu-ray sets have all the DVD extras, don't they? If they do the rest of the line properly, I'd be tempted to swap out my individual DVDs for a neat set of 25-ish box sets.

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if they’ll carry on doing seasons, or if they’ll knock out the McCoy era in one go.

I'm interested in how they will handle the seasons with missing episodes, too.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 22, 2018

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I love the story of David Tennant calling Wendy Padbury's agency when he was starting out and looking for representation, and when he realised who he was talking to he went all OH MY GOD YOURE ZOE FROM DOCTOR WHO :byodood: and she just hung up on him :laugh:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Yvonmukluk posted:

Technically that happened in the Titan Third Doctor comics.

Hold up

Tell me more

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Cerv posted:

forktoss, do you regret asking?

Excuse me but I'm the exact target audience for this dumb poo poo

Speaking of, does anyone have opinions on the Sutekh/Unbound sets?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

After The War posted:

And now the opening theme is stuck in your heads. All of you, whether you've heard it or not.

After reading this I started humming what I thought was the Sherlock Holmes theme song, but soon realised it was actually the theme to Keeping Up Appearances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rhyno posted:

I always forget that Pertwee is the incarnation with experience in ladies clothes.

There's great bit in Pertwee's autobiography:

quote:

My back had been getting steadily worse, and when we came to do Planet of the Spiders, I was in such agony that I would do anything to ease it, and someone had suggested keeping my spine rigid by wearing a surgical corset.

That seemed like a good idea and so I ordered one to be especially made. It certainly eased the pain whilst on one occasion earning me an unfortunate reputation. We were at an Army camp – Marchant Barracks in Devizes – for part of the location filming, and I had been allocated one of the huts to use as a dressing room. It has been pouring with rain, so after only two shots, I had to get out of my wet clothes and have my lank hair put in heated rollers. So, there I was sitting in this hut, wearing nothing but a pair of long johns and the whale-bone corset, with my hair all in curlers, when suddenly the door banged open and in walked the sergeant major.

He took one look at me sitting there, turned purple, turned on his heel and bellowed to the men behind him, ‘I don’t believe it. Doctor Who’s a poofter!’

He never looked at me in the eye again for our entire stay.

• Locked thread