Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, how about this for season 7? We get the Victorian Clara as planned originally for the first half, she dies saving the Doctor, then he meets modern Clara for the second half of the season as was.

Claras of the Week with the Doctor meeting a different one in different parts of time and space that always die at the end of every episode for like half a season before meeting the real one the way he did would have made the "impossible girl" thing more impossible and made more sense why the mystery of her bugged the Doctor so much at least even if it didn't really develop Clara proper any better than we already got

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

STAC Goat posted:

It just seems like Doctor Who makes no sense if you're the type that cares deeply about canon and continuity. No? You just gotta go for the ride.

I mean, yeah. The show gave three separate explanations for the destruction of Atlantis in the span of five years. You just kinda go with it and let them tell the story they want to at the moment regardless of what came before. It's better that way. That's why "timey wimey" is so good; it's a show about time travel, just go with it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
We can probably trust Chibbers to not ERASE PEOPLE FROM DOCTOR WHO at least.

Thank goodness we've never actually used the Oubliette of Eternity...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
hey baby i hear the blues a--callin'
cat broaches and gumblejacks

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

"Have you been in the pub?"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been thinking about ordering some classic Who DVDs since it's been a few years since I last really got any and was first thinking I'd fill out what I didn't have of the first couple of Pertwee seasons, but then I kinda figured that for around the same amount I could finish off what I didn't have of C. Bakes and Sly and cross them off as complete alongside Bill and the Trought. Except, well, it's kind of a cursed basket...

I'm personally kinda fond of Greatest Show in the Galaxy at least, I guess, and some people tend to like Ghost Light...? :shrug:

(and yes I need to have them all, even absolute guff like Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani. No, I don't really know why. I guess just because having the whole* show, warts and all, would be nice. I'm more picky when it comes to Big Finish and tend to cross check a few reviewers to tend to avoid the bad stuff there

*I have the narrated soundtracks of the stories that otherwise only exist in Mugabe's vault)

e: The more obvious solution, that for some reason completely eluded me until just now: get the Colin stuff, and fill out the first Pertwee season. Then, later on, I can fill out the second Pertwee season while getting the McCoy stuff and move on from there. Much more balanced that way

(TWANG!)

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 15, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TinTower posted:

Greatest Show had an Obama lookalike rap about the circus.

You can't beat that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaznck2xW-g

Greatest Show is such a weird, brilliant mish mash. There's a galactic circus but also Old Gods and killer robots and then a cool werewolf girl that should have been a new companion and...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

I see you already must have Vengence on Varos..

Yes, the one that has extra features! EVEN MORE OF COLIN!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Interesting that they have Cartmel and Aaronovitch back for it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Time for some Looms. BITCHES! :getin:

:emo:

Bicyclops posted:

Well, the first story in the Second Doctor Boxset sure is... something. :stare: Dick Sharples must have had a chronic case of horniness while writing it, and Guerrier, unfortunately, caught it somehow before adapting it. I'm amazed that Wendy Padbury could get through half of the descriptions of skin-tight outfits without laughing out loud.

Yeeeeah, that's one i very much avoided despite being a big fan on the Companion Chronicles format and some of the other First/Second Doctor Lost Stories simply because I heard such risible things about the first story.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ooh, Michael Jayston is reprising the Valeyard for Big Finish again in one of the Benny sets they're putting out later this year.

quote:

4. Every Dark Thought by Eddie Robson

The Doctor has asked for Benny's help digging up some mysterious ruins. He claims they contain the secret of eternal life. Why would the Doctor want that?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

I'LL KILL YOU

I believe it's customary in these situations to shove them into a vat of acid and then make a glib quip

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

This I like, and I agree that it looks like a Pink Floyd album.

Billie Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I bought "Timelash." I expect it to be terrible.

Save your breath for the viewing, Egon. Most people watch with a scream!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Been skipping to the Who repeats on ABC in the ads on Bargain Hunt and Curse of the Black Spot is on tonight and it's not the best episode but I managed to catch the bit where the Doctor gives his "two cars parked in the same space" metaphor that has Amy going like oh, yeah, I get that, only for the Doctor to say

quote:

Good. ‘Cause it’s not like that at all, but if that helps…

and I think that's one of my favourite examples of the thing where the Doctor simplifies a concept for us to be able to understand and then says well no, not really

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"Actually, capital and the bourgeoisie are good" - Doctor Who fans mad that the actor man didn't dance for them a second time

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Man, i'd forgotten that some of the DVDs have the old Annuals on them as pdfs. Including that kind of material is pretty neat

Zoltan! Looking forward to Doctor Who and the Continuum Transfunctioner

---

I've only just now heard about Stephen Hawking throwing a party for time travelers bback in 2009 and that sounds like a brilliant starting point for a Doctor Who story involving the man but it feels super tacky saying that given the circumstances

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 14, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I know it's Sting like from The Police, but the idea of the Master descending from the Tardis rafters really tickles me

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Third Doctor Adventures volume 4 featuring the Monk and the Cybermen is out now. I'm well behind on boxsets I've gotta listen to, never mind main range stuff or other bits and pieces I've picked up, but I'm really feeling like bumping this one to the top given the combination of era, enemies, and writers.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Listened to "The Destination Wars" and enjoyed it quite a bit, after I got used to the voices.

Yeah, it was good stuff. Bradley's intonation still feels off to me but they all sell the story well and mannnn is the Gimme Gimme Gimme guy a real pleasant surprise as the Master

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 21, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

*cracks knuckles*

Thanks. Time to fire up Pixlr. I know who Adric and Nyssa are, but I need to find a Nintendo Tegan.

First thing I thought of was Vandham from Xenoblade 2 purely because of the accent lol

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Doctor Zero posted:

PS: during Gomez’s talk she let slip that she did a BF audio as Missy going up against River Song. :swoon: should be out soon. I don’t think she was supposed to do that.

omgomgomg

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's from 2008

That's not a good example of olden daes stuff but Google's archives there do go back to late 80s/early 90s stuff. When they first got them all there I had a ton of fun combing back through all kinds of groups but then they reworked the interface and made it a bit more difficult to just kind of go back that far without having to set specific date periods or whatever

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
So since the old Doctor Who newsgroup was posted earlier I thought it might be fun to jump back to around the time Big Finish started doing their Doctor Who releases:

Some people loved it

quote:

(WARNING! DERANGED ENTHUSIASM!!!!!)
I just finished listening to the SIRENS OF TIME audio adventure and I have to
say that it's set this old fanboy's heart a flutter. It exceeded my
expectations and I think it was very well written and acted. Episodes one
through three showcased each Doctor's style of story to great effect and seeing
them (And I really did see them in my minds eye!) together for the final part
was terrific. It was great to hear Davison's Dr. back in action again and we
finnally get to see the sixth Doctor as Baker wanted to play him. And as for
the Seventh Dr? A classic never goes out of style.

I've read some of the poor reviews its gotten from a few posters and while I
don't like to get into the "It sucks!"/"No it doesn't" style of arguments that
seem to flourish here I have to say I can't imagine why some listeners have
dismissed them as 'poorly written' 'fan productions' (That was my paraphrasing
I was taking no one's words out of context. Or at least I didn't mean to
anyway.)

If any of you are on the fence about buying these I recommend them. They're
highly enjoyable.

Big Finish, thanks for giving me Dr. Who back.
As long as you keep making them, I'll keep buying them.

Some people were less keen

quote:

Oh it's out there and how I regret wasting £8.99 on this amateurish jumble.
More proof, if we really needed it, that DR.WHO needs to be written by
professional writers who know how to tell and structure a good story. Sirens is
just so much unco-ordinated, directionless fan drivel. My fear is that if these
tapes are successful (and they will be as starved fans wil lap them up), the
BBC may entrust the making of future TV WHO to this crowd...then it really
would be the end. Avoid!!!!

Rumours about some guy called Russell T. Davies relaunching the series? Not sure that'll go anywhere...

quote:

Outpost Gallifrey mentioned an article in the Independant that suggested
that RTD was approached to come up with an outline for a new TV series?
Can anyone comfirm or deny this? Apparently the plans for this new series
were put on hold by the plans for a feature film (just like the Dark
Dimension was apparently scrapped 'cos of the telemovie).
If anyone at the BBC has the sense to monitor this NG (and the patience to
wade through the bickering and fanwank) then I just want them to know that a
series is definately the way to go. A co-produced movie will most probably
be another Avengers/McGann film; disappointing fans and failing to interest
non-fans.
A well written, fresh, character driven series (developed by the person
behind Damaged Goods and QaF) is definately the way to appeal to the general
public and most of the fans at the same time.

And then there's, uh, this person...

quote:

Am probably going to get flamed for this but I find the thought of
being cyber converted incredibly sexual.
The thought of being made to wear a silver PVC catsuit and be subject
to their will excites me greatly.....but it seems I'm the only one out
hrere who has this fetish. I'm am in my twenties and am not looking
for a lover- just some feed back on this fantasy/idea. If anyone wants
to know more or explore some ideas with me - please mail me - if
anyone wants to flame me don't bother!!!

and yes, I do have the islver PVc catsuit :)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

P.S. : Honestly, that weirdo guy aside, those opinions don't sound so deranged or far removed from the range you might find here on SA.

Speaking of, here's one I found while looking at stuff from the release month of the TV movie:

Is there still a chance for McCoy?

quote:

I have been a Dr Who fan from the start. I have watched them all since
I was 7 years old in 1963. I have seen the program grow and develop
and thought that up to now the evolution of the program made some
sense. This new movie however was just too great a change for me, I
guess I'm just to set in may ways to accept this level of change.
My 14 year old son loved the new movie so I accept that it was aimed
at attracting a new generation and I hope that it is successful in
doing so..

I wonder however since at the beginning of the movie the doctor stated
that he was at the end of his current regeneration and as such this
may lead to an opening for the BBC or any other enterprising body to
continue with McCoy as the Dr and to fill in the gaps that lead up to
the regeneration.

At least this may give an opportunity to explain a lot of the changes
that occured in the movie.

Any thoughts ?

Time is a flat roundel. Now where's my McGann miniseries for the offseason...

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 26, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The real missing episode question is what happens to all the ones in Mugabe's vault now that he's been ousted as presidente?

Jerusalem posted:

Then that happened :stare:

The announcement that the original Cybermen were coming back popped up in my Facebook memories earlier this month given I'd shared that first photo of Capaldi being swarmed by them with the incredibly articulate comment "omgomgomg."

I know the Beeb announces this kind of stuff before time to try and get ahead of set reports and leaks and whatever but as someone that tends not to go out of their way to look for that kind of stuff nowadays the buildup through World Enough and Time would have been extra brilliant without them specifically yelling that stuff on official channels. I mean, the episode was great and executed those elements fantastically anyway so it wasn't ruined by knowing that it was coming ahead of time, but just imagine.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 28, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

FreezingInferno posted:

Forget "but what about Trenzalore", if that angry mop man is supposed to be Capaldi, that's The Caretaker. How the hell is Clive getting a photo from nine years into the future?

Maybe he did some janitorial work on the side during his seventy years at Bill's university? :shrug:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

I went back to look at this to find the bus of shame, and now I can’t stop looking at her very badly photoshopped neck. Jesus christ, how did this pass any sort of inspection?

C'mon now, she's obviously just wearing a turtleneck made of human flesh.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm torn between the second War Doctor box and the second Classic Doctors, New Monsters box. Which should I go for?

The second War Doctor set has the stories where Big Finish have been most actually "Time War"-y of all the Time War stuff they've done so far. Plus, more John Hurt! CDNM2 was fine but that's pretty much it, just fine, decent adventures but nothing really revelatory done with the matchups of monsters and Doctors.

So yeah, I'd say War

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't even remember if it was two or three episodes of Class that I lasted. The first opened the show okay, probably carried mostly by the Capaldi cameo and the promise of Quinn as a character but then it was just really... nothing at all engaging for what should have been promising given the premise of Doctor Who Meets Buffy, run by a man who I understand is apparently reasonably acclaimed for his YA work.

It wasn't something I cared for at all on television, but I think there's a foundation for something decent there for Big Finish to redeem it. Not something I'd buy without hearing impressions, but it's an idea I'm more open to than most of the other new series spinoffs they've been doing lately.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've finally been listening to UNIT Dominion the last couple of days (to get ready to start listening to Dark Eyes, to get ready to start listening to Doom Coalition, to get ready to start listening to Ravenous which I'm thinking about buying around launch since these sets never seem to get any cheaper than their preorder price in sales), and even knowing the twist it's really good. It's fun having some late life Seven, some of the inter-dimensional creatures are really neat (the giant cherub heads are suuuper unsettling and the lava spiders that cook you before eating you are kinda cool, but gently caress whatever that dumb thing in Tokyo was) and Alex MacQueen is really, really good here so even knowing the truth of his character doesn't really hurt things at all. Some loose morality regarding killing aside, he totally sells the idea of potentially being a Doctor we just don't know before revealing the truth.

Is it just me or does he sound kind of like Peter Davison? Like, his performance isn't really anything like the Fifth Doctor but when I started listening I was like Alex MacQueen's voice kind of reminds me of someone... and by the end of the first part I'd kind of clicked on it reminding me of him, though admittedly Davison is one of the Doctors I'm less familiar with so I might just be misremembering what his voice actually sounds like.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like Ravenous came out of nowhere? Like, Doom Coalition was winding up, the Time War stuff was on the horizon, and then suddenly Ravenous is out? Coming out?

It's been a pretty short announcement-to-release turnaround with formal details only being given in January and the first set coming out tomorrow (e: out just now, actually), yeah. But even before we knew what Ravenous was actually going to be they had said that they were going to be doing a more direct Doom Coalition followup alongside the Time War stuff. And with the McGann Time War sets apparently going to annual releases after the second one, it seems like Ravenous is going to be the "main" Eighth line for the time being.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 10, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Emerson Cod posted:

They just put up a post today asking people about what their favorite memories of Quantum Leap were and one a few weeks ago about Goosebumps. They seem to be heavily expanding into other properties if that's any indication. I remember one of their polls asked listeners what audios they might want to hear and they even had Star Trek on there. If they've got Scott Bakula on board that might actually happen. They definitely have an in with a lot of the actors with Chase Masterson.

They've been posting those things pretty much every week since the Goosebumps one. Short of maybe trying to gauge interest I don't really think they're indicative of anything

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I mean

Having the current logo on licenced releases has always been a thing :shrug:

jivjov posted:

I'll admit, I'm gonna miss the standardized bar down the left side of the art, but it's not a deal breaker for my enjoyment of BF

I like the sidebar being gone. Opens up the cover and gives the actual art more room. Though yeah, as a digital only listener the art isn't much of a concern to me.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Well that's certainly an occasion worth drezzing for

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I hear CGI Snake has an amazing voice for radio, tho

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Yes, we're about to enter the era of the first woman Doctor, I'm sure the fandom is going to be awesome this year!

I mean, fandoms at large are always terrible. Jodie's casting has certainly made them worse than usual, but as long as you avoid cesspits like Gallifrey Base and just stick to the works themselves and chill little spaces like we have here it's certainly good.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"That's it! I've been touched by greatness. I shook his hand, the man made of memes! You know what memes are?"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RIP. We're lucky to still be able to enjoy so many otherwise lost stories thanks to his ingenuity

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi yes hello

Just popping in to remind everyone the doctor is female now and will running around doing doctor things in a handful of months

Thanks, as you were

But I want it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Need to find something that will provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon. Anyone know any 100 tacos for $100 offers going on?

• Locked thread