Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Every time we start a new thread (well done btw) I get the feeling we should rewrite a few of those BF recommendations. Some parts are inaccurate (Dorian Gray technically isn't a spinoff, for one) and I think a bit ungenerous.

I wouldn't mind redrafting it, if that's okay with everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

This - which is hopefully going to be either fantastically great, or fantastically awful based soley on the title:

I hope, anyway :v:

It's good. Title's not literal though.

I think Louise Jameson's character is meant to be based on Lynda Bellingham's performance in Trial of a Timelord.

I miss Lynda Bellinghamd. :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rirse posted:

Yeah. The half season with Amy and Rory felt like the plot was just spinning in a circle until they left. If they were gone from the start then they could got Clara act moving a bit faster and had more room for the Great Intelligence.

Huh, I'd have said the opposite. The first half with Amy and Rory is a half decent character drama (which ends on an uncomfortable and doubtless unintended note, but what can you do?). The second half is a lot of smoke and mirrors redundancy where we're invited to speculate about something happening when, in fact, nothing is.

Also the second half has Journey To The Centre of The TARDIS and Cold War. Point 7A.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I quite like Under The Lake / Before The Flood, but I think they were probably one more draft away from being very good.

Heaven Sent is quite good though, barring the part where I just can't bring myself to care about 12 or Clara. Face The Raven is in the same boat, too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Under the Lake was very good, it didn't stick the landing though

Yeah, absolutely. There's something about the future sections that don't work very well, with the way the episode handles its guest cast. It does have that absolutely killer moment where that crewmember is being stalked, though.

I do appreciate how it's one of the few stories -- actually, I think it's the only story -- that season to set up the Face The Raven stuff with Clara struggling to position herself as the Doctor. (Oh, okay, technically The Witch's Familiar tries this as well, but mostly by making Clara actually loving magic at solving technobabble in a way that's deeply unbelievable.) Before The Flood's also got an interesting moment of hypocrisy for the Doctor, as he yaps on about the immutability of death and the impossibility of saving people from their predestined fates.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, people don't like Ghost Light? Whaaa

(On that list, I also love Greatest Show, and Paradise Towers has a really tight script attached to a poor production.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I like Battlefield. It's just a gigantic disorganized pile of gobbledycook, but the Brig is amazing, and so are the scenes in which the doctor is getting pissed off at his future self.

It's also got Jean Marsh as Morgaine, who rules. I like the symmetry of her turning up in Nicholas Courtney's last (classic series) story, given the two of them played siblings in his first appearance.

If you think about it, Morgaine's kind of a proto-River -- a future character who has a long history with the Doctor, only the Doctor doesn't really know her yet. I also appreciate her being explicitly magical, wielding abilities that make her anathema to Who's pseudo-science heritage.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I tried to figure out what the hell is wrong with the guy who wrote Nekromanteia and now I'm even more confused. :stare:

I'm not defending Nekromanteia -- far from it -- but he's referring to the pocket dimension where everyone plays cricket, right?

(Yes, on top of having cannibal witches, attempted sexual assault, space madness and a plot structure that's literally The Caves of Androzani with different names, Nekromanteia also has a subplot where the Doctor gets sucked into an alternate dimension to watch people play cricket.)

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Minuet is awful but it's awful in a comedic, "What the gently caress were they even trying to do here? :xd:" kind of way. Creed and Nekro are just sleazy and nasty and gross.

One of last September's releases, The Silurian Candidate, gives Minuet In Hell a run for its money. It's Doctor Who does Trump, except he's Australian and the Silurians are secret Russians, or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I think the only thing I liked about this episode was the monk’s shield effect when a soldier fires on it.

I remember that being in the next episode, not Pyramid.

(Also, it's so painfully obvious watching these three episodes that the writers were barely communicating with each other. Hence the "churches" in Lie Of The Land.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Or maybe she's secretly Slitheen, and she's only wearing the face skin?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Perhaps now that the Mondasian Cybermen have had their moment in the sun the nostalgia wheel can go around and BF can rehab the much maligned 80s Cybermen?

Pssht. They're too busy rehabilitating Class.

(no joke, the cast just uploaded pictures of them recording on Instagram)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

They really are doing everything nobody is asking for, arent they?

I guess as long as the main DW stuff and B7 and Dark Shadows is output at the same rate I could care less.

Ouch. Way to backhand Dark Shadows.

(Arrgh Bloodline when!?)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Funny thing is, when BF had the McGann logo across the top, the designers hated that layout. The much preferred the sidebar layout, because they said that gave more room instead of having to fight against a floating logo across the top

I don't follow. Surely they'd still be fighting for space with the side bar?

(I always thought the side bar threw everything out of whack anyway. When a third of your cover was always the same colour and demanding balance from the other side you'd end up a bit more limited with what you could do than with a floating headline.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In my view, the jury's still out on Chibnall, even though, yes, his writing output on individual episodes of Who and its spin-offs ranges from decent to WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

If you think of Cyberwoman as a comedy -- and I think it's meant to be a little bit funny, if not the completely desirable lump of tack it ended up being -- then it's actually kind of fun.

Though Cyberwoman was actually formulated by RTD, and Chibnall ended up writing it in order to take the pressure off Davies.

Chris Chibnall posted:

I had more involvement in the second season. I was there throughout but Russell had created the show and he knew where he wanted to go in the first season, and so in choosing the stories he would be saying, “That’s where we want to go,” and, “Let’s bring Suzie back in Episode Eight.” He was very much doing all that kind of stuff. I mean I ended up writing a lot of them just because, and I did a bit of polishing here and there, although I did a lot more in the second season. It was as much that I was there to write to take the pressure off him; some of those story ideas were his, Cyberwoman was his idea...

And, honestly, we could do a lot worse that Torchwood Season 2, which is both a consistently solid series, and a series in which its three best scripts -- Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Adrift and Fragments -- are Chibnall's.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 30, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ahahaha best loving news: Big Finish are doing a River Song set featuring the Master -- as played by Geoffrey Beevers, Michelle Gomez, Derek Jacobi and Eric Roberts. Beautiful.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope they do a proper multi-Master story at some point, since I imagine this is gonna be a One Master Per Disc thing. I really want to hear all the others get annoyed with Eric Roberts's version.

Yeah, that's the plan apparently. Each story spotlights a different Master -- Eddie Robson's gets Eric Roberts, Jonathan Morris is writing for Gomez, Scott Handcock is writing for Jacobi and Roy Gill is writing for the Beevers undead Master.

BF has done a multi-master story before -- it's pretty good actually, despite also having the kind of plot that screams fanwank clusterfuck -- with the Two Masters. But that was McQueen and Beevers, and not any of the sexy new Masters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mysterio has an okay erection joke and helped keep Charity Wakefield employed, so it has those two things going for it.

It's not even fun, not that Moffat ever really knows how to do fun. RTD's specials were always at least fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I've never seen all of Genesis before...are you referring the the rock one of the mutate people was gonna use as a bludgeon?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Like I always got the impression his feelings on Moffat were "drat that Moffat! Who does he think he is! I knew him when we were nobodys in the DWAS or shooting poo poo in the bar in the 90s! I created Faction Paradox! He's ruining Doctor Who with his crap writing! Oh God please call me to write an episode Stephen!"

He's never liked Moffat, but a lot of what he said about the guy -- that Moffat was an egotistical arsehole -- turned out to be true.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't get the food thing. She steals a guy's sausage, replaces a woman's pizza and swaps another dude's reading material when he's distracted by canteen food.

Is this some sort of play on RTD's chip's thing, or was someone just hungry?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Android Blues posted:

The scene in Dragonfire where the Doctor bamboozles a guard by asking a series of circular existential questions is really funny.

This scene is even better than what you're describing -- the guard ends up being a better existentialist that the Doctor can cope with, some he achieves largely by quoting excerpts from an (IIRC) overly pretentious Doctor Who essay book.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, though they've yet to announce it, there's at least one upcoming Missy boxset as well, with John Dorney writing a script that appears to be about King Henry's wives.

I badly want one of them to be Missy, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do you think BF gives Lalla first dibs at the lunch buffet in exchange for putting up with Tom?

Big Finish usually record with all the cast together, but they record these plays separately, in different studios. I think Lalla Ward basically records in a vacuum; they have Jane Slavin do her part in the cast recording and then replace her takes with Ward's performance.

(It's how they cast Tom's new, upcoming companion. He liked working with Jane Slavin so much they wrote a character for her to play regularly.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 6, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm going to go ahead and add The Silurian Candidate to that list as well.

Ill conceived, stupid and a bit racist. High points include an "Australian" Trump, and the Doctor crying over a dead dinosaur while a man bleeds out right next to him.

Not a big fan of that recent Time War box set that attempted to make us feel bad for a guy who used time travel to manipulate himself into a relationship with a woman.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Like so much of the Davies era, it's really just a lot of silly fun.

I adore it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

After The War posted:

Since no one's mentioned it yet, "Boy That Time Forgot" is like a bingo card for lovely audios. It's boring, skeevy, and fucks with a major plot point of the series for a cheap shock hook.

I dunno, I thought it was funny.

(It's deeply meanspirited, but I think it was also trying to say things about aging and arrested development.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I skipped Flip Flop though, just from what little I've heard I feel like my brain would eat itself trying to get to the end of both discs.

I mean, half the plot can be summed up as "alien invasion via political correctness" so, you know, did you really want to listen to it anyway?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I think Capaldi’s speech went on a bit too long, but he deserved it.

He's given longer speeches for which he deserved to die.

*side eyeballs The Zygon Inversion*

(For which his character deserves to die, in case there was some ambiguity here.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Forktoss posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have opinions on the Sutekh/Unbound sets?

The Unbound Benny seasons, which is I think what you're asking about and not the original unbound set of releases that everyone else are talking about, are either pretty great to very very good. Also they feature the weirdest trademark dodging Dalek cameo in Who's history.

The Sutekh set has a pretty mediocre Justin Richards entry, but the other three are good.

Generally anything from the James Goss era (starting with the Dalek entry before the Sutekh set) are of a high standard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like he was always a known poo poo.

By way of comparison, Big Finish have employed Richard Franklin in the past, so I doubt they care an awful lot about what someone says on Twitter.

(Edit: um, as poo poo as what Dreyfus says is.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

What's up with Richard Franklin? Legit don't know, aside from him alternating between joining UKIP and the Libdems - which is strange enough by itself - and a rumour he hooked up with a fan at a con in a dodgy way.

If the story's true, and I've no reason to believe it's not, he's just a flat out rapist.

Beyond that it's common knowledge that he used to use the convention circuit as a way of hooking up with younger fans. But yeah, he's a gross man.

• Locked thread