Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Ghost Light is amazing, especially the first time when you have no idea what the hell’s going on.

Every McCoy serial is good, even the bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Those serials are weird, stupid messes and I love them. I don't care what some stuffy old dude from the 80s thought about them

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

The worst thing about Minuet is that it teases McGann's Doctor and the Brig meeting the whole story and when they properly do it's only for like 5 seconds because oops, Eight Has Amnesia Again.

I loved Scherzo for how perfectly suited it is for audio (and Paul's silky smooth readings of the short story at the beginning of each episode) but it's a really weird one. There were a couple other neat stories in that arc (Natural History of Fear has a cool twist that also only works because of the medium; Faith Stealer has, uhh, any fun dialogue or characters whatsoever) but otherwise it's a series of very tedious, forgettable stories (and one unforgettable Phillip Martin trainwreck)

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

FreezingInferno posted:

Five's era is one of my lesser liked of Classic Who (I'll make exceptions for the two Mara stories, the first episode of Earthshock, The Five Doctors, and Cave Of Androzani though) and I love all of Seven. All of it. Even Time And The Rani, which at least hits the notes of "so bad it's good" and "utterly ridiculously 80's" enough to be a laugh and a half.

My sentiments exactly!

The McCoy era feels the most like a loopy kid's show, I love it to pieces. Even the stories that most people hate on.

And The Curse of Fenric is the best classic serial. There. I said it.

Davison's era mostly bores and/or annoys me, though its best serials are very, very good. Enlightenment is a gem.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I had no idea there were Big Finish audios on Spotify, that rips

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I liked it when companions would just leave because they felt like they'd had enough, or that whatever time/place they were on needed their help, or whatever. I think those kinds of endings could be worked in even with the new approach. The finales where they're separated forever by circumstance are probably more of a modern TV thing, giving the audience a big dramatic sendoff.

One part of why I love Clara's ending is that she and the Doctor realize their relationship has grown too codependent and mutually destructive, so even though there are huge universe-shattering aspects to her departure, it's ultimately down to her choosing to leave and do her own thing.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

binro was right, motherfucker

;_;

Key to Time is my favorite T-Bakes season, hands down no questions. Just so fun from start to finish -- Kroll and the finale are a little lesser, but i still like 'em, and the rest are solid gold. Also, Romana I, woof (i adore Lalla Ward but Mary Tamm was gone too soon)

After The War posted:

Vicki getting the automated system to grant her the power to bring the world revolution

I see what you did here and I approve

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

And now you know the ‘Running in Paris’ music forever.

Oh god, I’m not the only one who gets this theme in my head at random, am I?

City of Death makes me smile start to finish. If anyone called it the best Doctor Who story, I wouldn’t fight them even if I don’t agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Jesus. Stay away from Twitter right now.

Evergreen advice

Old Who fans (the bad ones) have been defensive of Weng Chiang for years. Honestly, as much as the yellowface irritates me it’s the Doctor participating in the racism (“little men” and “epicanthic eyebrows,” jeezus) that left the worst taste in my mouth.

It also has Leela’s one really egregious moment of being damseled, just to ice the poo poo on a little more

• Locked thread