Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I want new episodes now.

I think I'd prefer one story per month, 12 months of the year, with no broadcast breaks, than this "let's go for 12 weeks" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doctor Who fan [watching intently]: This show loving sucks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpeakSlow posted:

50's diner TARDIS was just poo poo, imho.

And has a companion been as hosed-over as Bill was? Lovely, interesting character who i just started to like then BAM, runs off with a watery tart after the body horror of being turned into a cyberman.

Katarina got kidnapped from a bronze age civilization, thought she was getting punished by the gods, and then unceremoniously blasted out an airlock. She didn't even survive one complete story.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't even realize that Under The Lake's quality was a controversial point.

Really, if an ep is going to have a problem, I'd prefer it be the effects and costumes and not the script.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TinTower posted:

Also, from Day of the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI

"You know, I really think you might." :tviv:

I enjoy this scene but I'm completely baffled by it from a narrative standpoint.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

The narrative/plot/continuity reasons are all,"It's the 50th and we've got Tom Baker so goddammit we're gonna use him."

I fully support, applaud and embrace this line of thinking.

2house2fly posted:

Well you see, at some point among his first three incarnations the Doctor met up with this museum curator, and evidently they got on so well the Doctor took on his face. The Curator knows a bit about Time Lord regeneration and assumed the Eleventh Doctor, who looked younger, was in fact a younger version of the man he'd met

These two things reconcile perfectly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Battlefield. It's just a gigantic disorganized pile of gobbledycook, but the Brig is amazing, and so are the scenes in which the doctor is getting pissed off at his future self.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In silhouette it looks like she's wearing a jumper and boots, which is cool.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

$60! Get your picture with the guy from firefly! No, not him. The other one. No not him, either.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

Fans are ruining these shows!

This but unironically.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I always liked 9 better than 10. 9 has this thing in which he's a jaded curmudgeon but, despite his best efforts, he manages to have a good time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before but here goes...

I had watched a few episodes of the original series when I was a kid, but the continuity was too much for me to get into it - I was never good at tracking when a given show was on TV, and so I never hit critical engagement. When the revival came along, I first heard about it through an annoying roommate who praised its campiness, which turned me off of the idea. A few years later a girl who I was ... getting to know ... invited people over for the 50th anniversary show. Any reason to spend time with her, right? Anyway, I watched the 50th with her, and I enjoyed it. We never got together, but I went and watched from the beginning of Eccleston, and here we are!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rirse posted:

So is he actually dead or he just can't be retrieved from the spaceship due to the black hole?

The suggestion is that he's trapped in a Sisyphean nightmare in which he is eternally pursued by perpetually-evolving cybermen who chase faster the farther he gets from the point of origin.

He'll be fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked Extremis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

This sounds interesting, what was it?

So did I! I hope that was clear in my write-up!

It was - your preamble just made me want to emphasize that, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

corn in the bible posted:

McCoy owns and Battlefield is great

I love battlefield.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Atlantic is discussing Silurians today

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/are-we-earths-only-civilization/557180/?utm_source=feed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remind me because I'm too lazy to google and I feel like posting and I'm thinking about Doctor Who -

When does the new series start airing?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Somewhere from 126 to 156 days until we get a new Doctor Who television story.

:smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RTD started the whole "the Doctor is literally Jesus" thing. IMO that intergalactic mythic poo poo is the worst part of the revival. I like it better when the mythic role gets assigned to a character from the episode in a tiny cute way, like at the end of the recent Picts/Romans story.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Now I know this is a no spoilers zone, and I'm quite fond of that. In fact, I'm so fond of it that I'd like to know what sort of leak this has been so that I don't accidentally stumble into it later when trying to google for information about the October series.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My consistent response to this kind of opinion is casual physical violence and humiliation. Is it weird that part of me wants to just beat up Ian Levine?

(note mods: not an actual threat; I am neither planning nor threatening to beat up Ian Levine.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The weirdest thing about following Doctor Who is that there are decades and decades of idiosyncratic personalities who have had prolonged slap fights over the show and its properties. Sometimes this thread can read like And then Nigel Farlowe-Smith said THIS and well I never!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really like Black Orchid

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TinTower posted:

You could see it coming a mile away, but I really liked how they did the Christmas truce.

It was good judgement to not have the Doctor cause it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't listened to much Big Finish, but she's loving great in it. I love her impression of 11 in Destiny of the Doctor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DrNutt posted:

Huh, I could have sworn he at one point was doing some sort of scan of something and it looked like he was holding a pen-shaped object and I just assumed it was a sonic screwdriver.

1 has a tendency to just poke things and look closely and go "hm hm yes yes."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Didn't Teegan go home for several months at one point?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Need a date for the premiere

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A lot of idiots think that calling something racist is tacitly arguing that it should be purged from the historical record.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really disliked 12's second sonic. My favourites are the simpler ones like The War Doctor's.

Edward Mass posted:

PLEASE!

It’s called a ‘Sonic Marital Aid’.

I've been wanting to make this joke since they revealed it but I didn't want to be the one who made this joke.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

It’s the joke that’s continually been made since its reveal, and it’s honestly getting tiresome.

And yes, the War Doctor’s is my favourite too.

Ah this is the only place I post about any tv show so I didn't see anyone make it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the other hand, a too-great emphasis on the sonic screwdriver as a tool denies us little moments like this

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:peanut:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Peter Capaldi for show runner 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think my two least favourite episodes of the revival are "The End of Time" and "Let's Kill Hitler".

There are plenty of episodes which I think are worse than either of them, but those are the two I anticipated the most and the two that most disappointed me.

Of course, my favourite episode written by Davies himself is probably something like "Gridlock", so there you go.

I have very mixed feelings about Let's Kill Hitler. It's this weird melange of strange risk taking and unaccountable mayhem, and so much of it makes no goddamn sense and doesn't work, but I still find it entertaining somehow. Much of it makes me wonder if a 14 year old girl got all coked up and dicated the script. AND THEN THE TIME TRAVELLING JUSTICE ROBOT HAS SMALLER ROBOTS INSIDE AND -THOSE- ROBTS KILL THE GUY

I'd much rather an episode take risks and fail and end up being a weird mess than for it to be forgettable, I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

The level of hype I am experiencing can't be good for me :stare:

Consider that weekend also has Khabib-McGregor. That's some acute hype. With that much hype, you might need to see a Doctor! :haw:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

And just in time, there’s a new trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCt6f1Ttmy4

Having Jodie in the "Don't forget to subscribe!" box made it all manifest for me. Until now it was still abstract and hypothetical :stare:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wilf is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Christmas special should have been 1 + 12 + Wilf.

• Locked thread