Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

TinTower posted:

Also, from Day of the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI

"You know, I really think you might." :tviv:

"I can only tell you what I would do if I were you...

heh

if I were you..."

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:shittypop: do they have English audio

I really don't like new Who but I am a whore for the classic series

:hfive: I recently started watching a bunch of classic DW and it brings back warm childhood memories. :3:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
The first time I saw any Doctor Who was sometime in the early 1980s. The PBS station out of Chicago ran DW in "movie" format and I saw what I later discovered was the last 30 minutes or so of the second half of "The Mutants" during summer vacation one year. It wasn't "G.I. Joe" so I promptly forgot about it.

Fast forward a couple years later. My parents had gotten our first VCR, I was in junior high, and on another Sunday summer vacation night, my brother and I watched a Tom Baker episode. I don't remember what one it was, but this time around I was hooked. I'd entered my nerdy phase where I was into comic books, pro wrestling, my brother's collection of rock and metal tapes, and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. So a British show about a time traveling alien was right up my street.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Astroman posted:

My issue with Sandifer wasn't his dislike of BF per se, but the fact that he clearly went into his critical analysis with a planned narrative--that the 2005 series was the apotheosis of the show and the only valid version. The books and BF were "The Wilderness Years" and a mere placeholder til we got back to the business of "Real Who".

He ignores the inconvenient fact that BF has continued 13 years after the new show started, that it uses the current and former actors and writers, and has produced some of the best Doctor Who stories ever made.

At least he did last time I read him, which was admittedly a few years ago.

I haven't read his stuff in a few years either, but I seem to recall that his views on DW went beyond just thinking that the books and audio stories were "the wilderness years"; and that he basically viewed all of classic DW as just a trial run for what he feels is the show's true form, namely the 2005 revival.

In any case, his writing style is overly pretentious and his views really shouldn't be given any more weight than amyone else's.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Davros1 posted:

Rewatched Day of the Doctor, and drat, do I love John Hurt.

Eleven: I demand to be locked up with my co-conspirators, Sand Shoes and Grandad.
War: (incredulously) Grandad?!
Ten: These aren't sand shoes!
War: (scoffs) Yes they are.

I've stated often that I am not the biggest fan of Moffat's run on the show (to put it mildly), but danged if I didn't enjoy the hell out of Day of the Doctor. :allears:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Burkion posted:

I do wish more companions reacted like the Brig did when he first saw the inside of the TARDIS

Namely annoyance and indifference. Of course this is happening. It's likely something the Doctor did just to pick at him

I loved Benton's response earlier in the same story, when he's looking around and the Doctor bemusedly says "aren't you going to say it's bigger on the inside than the outside?" To which Benton replies "well that's obvious, besides nothing to do with you surprises me any more."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
I remember reading an interview with Sophie Aldred, where she said she met Eccleston once, while taking her kid for a stroll. She said at first he thought she was just another fan, and was polite to her, but once he learned she'd played Ace in the classic series, he instantly opened up and was super friendly, asking her questions about her time on the show and such. She said she tried to convince him to do conventions, telling him how fun they were, but he said it just wasn't his thing. But at least it sounded like he was genuinely thrilled to meet someone from the original run of the show.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
"I have not seen Jaws IV, which I hear is terrible," said Michael Caine. "But I have seen the house it paid for, which is splendid."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
I just read a thing about Alec Guinness, whining about how Star Wars nearly killed his career, and how miserable he was playing Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I really hate that I became a fan during his time in the Original Trilogy, and that he's "My Obi-Wan." He's so loving joyless.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
From everything I've ever read, downtrodden little guys who work on Hollywood blockbuster films absolutely do not give a poo poo about the artistic integrity of those films. It's something they can add to their resume to get future jobs on Hollywood blockbuster films and that's it. The key grip on Thor or the best boy on G.I. Joe are not gnashing their teeth and rending their garments over the fact that some uppity Brit said he hated working on those films.

Also I note that people keep slamming Eccleston over what he said about Thor and G.I Joe, but gloss over the fact that he also said in that same interview that he enjoyed working on Gone In Sixty Seconds (with particular praise for Nicolas Cage, who is often pointed to as the textbook example of "Hollywood actor whoring themselves out for money"). But, I guess these cherries ain't gonna pick themselves.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

2house2fly posted:

That poor guy. I bet he'd been waiting for that moment for all his life. Oh lord.

I have it on good authority that he don't care no more. No more, no more. No more, no more. No more, no more.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
Yeah, I think it was established in his first appearance that Jack is an equal-opportunity shagger, when he mentioned stealing his ship (I think) from some space husband and wife, who he then proceeded to have a polyamorous fling with. Or something like that, anyways.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

The_Doctor posted:

4 kids already though, Christ. That’s why she’s not doing any acting any more, no time.

Seriously, at this point the poor woman deserves a nice long rest.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
It's been forever since I saw that episode with Michelle Ryan and The Magic Bus, can anyone remind me why her character was so horrible again? Not that I doubt anyone's word that her character was trash (many of RTD's characters were). I just don't remember the particulars, other than the episode itself generally being a terrible dumpster fire, so I can't be hosed to bother trying to watch it again.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Her character was straight up just a rich, bored aristocrat who steals national treasures purely for fun and robs the public of any chance to see or have access to them in favor of her amusement. Her (and RTD's) attempts to equate her selfish and self-serving actions with those of the Doctor traveling the universe and setting things right is a really terrible comparison that not only doesn't get called out but actually is left hanging as if the Doctor agrees with it. Her "nemesis" is a police officer attempting to catch a criminal committing crimes and we're supposed to enjoy him being hosed over when the Doctor aids in her escape and rewards her with a flying bus to presumably commit more crimes with.

Short of her lovely background though, she's also poorly written in her actions in the actual episode itself. There is one neat bit at the start where she takes control of the situation instead of the Doctor and he looks slightly put out but also intrigued by somebody who is willing to take the lead... except she then proceeds to do nothing other than follow him around asking questions like a standard companion and watching him sort out every situation. Even the rest of the bus inhabitants are left completely to their own devices and she doesn't lead, direct or manage them in any way.

She's a bad character with a worse backstory she doesn't do or accomplish anything or follow up on even the spark of potential she might have had. About all she manages to accomplish is to look smug about how much smarter and cleverer she is than everybody while not actually doing anything.

I really, really dislike that story. :sweatdrop:

So basically RTD bungled trying to write a "naughty, cheeky" version of Lara Croft, then.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
So if I'm reading that right, basically Eccleston clashed with RTD, Phil Collinson and Julie Gardner (the latter two were producers on DW during RTD's run). Given that Eccleston's made claims of bullying on the set by the people in charge, I'd be interested to see what specifics eventually come out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
Frankly, I'd rather hear actors talk about how much they hated working on some project that they clearly did just for the money. Nowadays everyone does the "oh I had a wonderful time on set, we were like one big family" thing, and nine times out of ten it's complete bullshit that they're basically ordered by the studio or network to spout during interviews.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
And while Frasier, Niles, and the Sixth Doctor all interact, Roz and Peri swap dating tips; Martin and Evelyn Smythe bond over Martin's recliner; and Daphne competes with Mel for the title of "World's Most Annoying British Person". :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember that episode.

"The Greytest Show In the Galaxy".

An entire planet of grey men, all devouring plates of mushy peas.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
Which was the worst NuWho spinoff: Class, or that Aussie thing with K-9

(Sarah Jane Adventures was fine if not my cup of tea, and Torchwood exists in its' own dimension of terribleness, so I didn't list them)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Doctor Zero posted:

God it must run in the family. Got on a crowded elevator at the last con and made “boy this sure isn’t bigger on the inside” jokes. Elevator stopped and we all parted to let the guy in the back corner out.

It was Peter Davidson. Quiet as a mouse.

Now, Peter Davison, on the other hand... :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
Dunno if it's been mentioned ITT way back in November when it was announced, but I just saw that Big Finish are releasing some Star Cops audio plays. Star Cops is an underappreciated gem and I'm kind of excited to hear about this. And it's tangentially related to DW not just because of Big Finish, but also because of Chris Boucher (who created Star Cops, script edited Blakes 7, and also wrote several classic DW stories, including the one that introduced Leela).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Rhyno posted:

Boy it sure does sound like Moffat had a great grasp of how the show should be run.

He sure did run me away from the show, let me tell you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Trin Tragula posted:

Or you could have characters who neither need nor want to go home every five loving minutes to get a pint of milk. Like, if the TARDIS showed up outside your home this evening, is there really anyone in here who wouldn't just be "see ya, fuckers, I'll send a postcard from 49th-century Blackpool"?

That's what made Jamie one of the best companions of the classic era. He wasn't moaning about going home and pining for Scotland all the time, he loved traveling with the Doctor and having adventures with him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I believe Horror of Fang Rock was a quick re-write because an earlier Terrance Dicks script had been scrapped because it clashed with another BBC production at the time, and he would have written it very firmly with the Hinchliffe/Holmes era of the show in mind.

Specifically, it was the story that eventually became State of Decay. It was put on ice because the Beeb was doing an adaptation of Dracula, and didn't want another vampire story airing around the same time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Android Blues posted:

Chibnall is for the most part a terrible writer and three companions sounds iffy. I am beset by doubts.

Jodie looks the part and has an absolutely winning smile. Beyond that, I'm not very hyped for Beano Regenerating Pizza Beans Doctor.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
I'm sure it was just mainly visual hoo-hah designed to remind the audience what the show is about (and reassure people who were afraid the show might possibly not be 100% revolving around events on Earth/the UK/London).

It's just that at this point, there isn't a person on the planet who doesn't know that the premise of the show is time travel-related shenanigans. So it was a little pointless in that regard.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Lessail posted:

I wonder if there's maybe something that recently changed with Doctor Who that might bring in a new and different audience

Doubtful, as even single-celled organisms dwelling at the bottom of the ocean have heard "the new Doctor is a lady" by now.

Wheat Loaf posted:

She has a nice smile.

She absolutely does. :3:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Liked that a lot better than the teaser trailer, for sure. Even in just the brief bits shown here, you can tell Jodie's natural charm (and excitement at playing the role) is just gonna radiate off the screen so wonderfully. :)

However, as I've said before, NuWho generally leaves me cold; so until I've seen an actual episode, I'm going to remain firmly planted over here in the chair labeled "Cautiously Optimistic" for now. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

emoticon posted:

Neat. Dreading the inevitable manufactured controversy and think pieces that are sure to follow, but looking forward to a possibly sunnier Doctor who goes on fun adventures and is actually excited to be the Doctor, because the whole self-hating, whining about being bad or whatever thing really got old.

That's what I'm hoping for, too. Let's have more of the Second Doctor's school of thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDw79__VRc

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn, Troughton just ruled so loving much.

"They sleep in my mind..." is such a great line.

I genuinely like all the various portrayals of the Doctor (whether they were in stories I actually liked is a different kettle of fish), but I'd have to say the Second and Fourth Doctors are tied for my "favorite Doctor" spot.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm really sad that we're missing so many of Troughton's serials. I could have watched seven seasons of him, Jaime and Zoe. I love Tom's run, but I think he kind of wears out his co-stars, whereas the chemistry between Two, Jaime and Zoe could have gone on forever.

I'd agree with this; Tom Baker's Doctor was just an absolute force of nature as a personality, so whenever he was on screen he inevitably drew all the attention to himself. Whereas Troughton's Doctor was much more understated by comparison and had less of an issue sharing the limelight with other characters, so even the secondary figures in a story could get some good screen time in with him, and his companions (especially Jamie) could shine right alongside him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
I'm hoping that running into and embracing fellow Doctors means that Eccleston is finally putting any hard feelings he may have had towards the DW franchise behind him. :unsmith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
IIRC Tom seems to have realized in his old age how much of a jerk he may have been towards some of the women in his life, and tried his best to make amends. I remember reading Louise Jameson telling the story of how he apologized to her, saying something like "I treated you very terribly, didn't I? I'm so sorry, my dear." It's possible he may havr done the same with Lalla.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Rhyno posted:

And then she is totally traumatized and leaves in an angry huff and it tears the Doctor apart. Tegans departure is some powerful stuff.

It's one of the first seeds of an element that became more prominent in the revived series, namely the idea that the companions aren't always having jolly japes and larks 100% of the time, and often suffer very real emotional distress as a result of their travels with the Doctor.

You can also look back at Victoria's departure in "Fury from the Deep", too, for another example. The Doctor and Jamie are having a wonderful time knocking around space and time, without any woes or cares...and meanwhile, Victoria is missing her father, basically just feels out of place, and eventually realizes that she's miserable and fed up with all the constant danger, and decides to stay on Earth and live a normal life.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

marktheando posted:

Guys, guys don’t argue, you are all soft southerners for living anywhere in England.

This reminds me of the time I had to patiently explain to a confused fellow American why the Irish lady she was talking to had just taken great offense at being asked "so are you from England?"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, I gotta admit I'd never heard of him before this but I absolutely love that design. Judging by that picture he wasn't all that old either?

Heck, judging by that pic, he could easily have played The Doctor.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Second Doctor John Le Mesurier

Only if Colonel/Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart is played by Arthur Lowe.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Obviously.

"Do you really think that's wise, Brigadier?"

Or even:

"YOU ARE THE DOCTOR! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!"
"Well, how absolutely lovely."

"Don't tell the Cybermen your name, Benton!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

echoplex posted:

I thought I was the only person alive who would want this

:smug:Sharaz Jek: "Come, Doctor. We're both on the same side here on Androzani Minor."
:argh:Bob Peck Doctor: "I am NOT on YOUR SIDE!!"

• Locked thread