Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Ski jump doesn't usually produce superstars. There is an Austrian guy who people said looked like Harry Potter won a bunch of golds and of course there is the story of Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards that British people can inform everyone about. But this year there is one superstar: Sara Takanashi. Sara is good. She is very well known in Japan. She is also fluent in English. She just missed out on a medal at Sochi but everywhere else she's been killing it, becoming one of the most successful ski jumpers of all time.

I hope she is successful this year. Here is a picture of her with an alpaca. :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm rooting for Kamil Stoch during the men's competition. He won 2 gold medals during the last Olympics and just last month won a grand slam of all four events in a single Four Hills Tournament which is something only one other jumper ever managed to achieve. He's in top performance now and jumps best under pressure during big events.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Stoch is the man. :cool: But don't count out the rest of the usual suspects, Freitag, Tande, Wellinger, Kraft, Forfang, and Johansson.

J. Kobayashi and Kubacki have had their moments too, and Stjernen, Ammann, Prevc, and Kot can never be counted out.

But of course, the biggest cheers always go out for the old man of the hill, 8 time Olympian and Japan's flag bearer this year, Noriaki Kasai!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4SbjTIgfT0

A shame they don't have flying hills in the Olympics, or he'd be a definite contender!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I'm cheering for Robert Johansson and his epic mustache

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I love these insane flying ski people. It's very relaxing to watch them hurtle through the air.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a man in the crowd with a Jesus placard. Like he's at the wrestling or something.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Well, those of you watching now have a practical demonstration of why the so-called style points are amnge the people I know more commonly called "fluency in German" points. In no world other than the one in the refs' heads was Wellinger's jump even close to being worth 19 points, let alone 19.5 he got.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Congrats Wellinger! But very impressive from Hula too!

:cheers:

A few unusually weak performances from Stoch, Freitag, and Kraft. Could just be from the normal hill, as the majority of world cup hills are of the large variety.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The wind seemed to gently caress a couple of people. But that's the sport I suppose.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

The wind seems to affecting the jumps for the women too. There hasn’t been a lot of good lift so far either.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
whoeee that last 3

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Congrats to Maren Lundby on her gold, that was a pretty sweet jump. Sara Takanashi did get her first bronze though! I’m looking forward to seeing how she gets even better in the future!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They talk about the telemark landing being one foot in front of the other but it looks like the back foot is more just off the side.

Watching the women's normal hill, I'm seeing vertical heel bars for the first time. Is that just for the women or a new allowance?

It seems like it would help to push off the starting bar with your hands to gain more speed but it doesn't look like competitors really do that.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 13, 2018

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

They talk about the telemark landing being one foot in front of the other but it looks like the back foot is more just off the side.

Modern equipment doesn't really allow for a proper Telemark landing, but they are expected to do whatever vague approximation they can manage anyway.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Robert Johansson is my new favorite male ski jumper. That mustache!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's kinda weird there's judging.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

PostNouveau posted:

It's kinda weird there's judging.
I think there kinda has to be because even a slight difference in wind speed or direction will make a huge difference in distance but yeah it is strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's been part of the sport ever since the beginning, probably invented by people with similar facial hair to Robert Johansson. I liked this article:

quote:

Johnasson likely will credit his coaches and his tireless training. I am going to credit his mustache.

Look at it. Bask in its glory:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/10/robert-johansson-and-his-amazing-mustache-win-bronze-in-olympic-ski-jumping/

Funny how his arms sort of mirror the mustache. He's hoping for a mustache wax sponsorship.

• Locked thread