Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

rio posted:

They are setting it up for a direct sequel - this was the first game of a planned trilogy.

Interesting. Wonder how it'll turn out... not sure if they can replicate the charm of "lvl 1 illiterate peasant simulator"

On that note, I think the combat would be greatly improved if the master strike system was completely removed. IMO the combat was the most fun when you're at level 1 in lovely gear, fighting bandits in lovely gear, and you're dueling a bandit boss who has only medium-lovely gear, clanging perfect blocks back and forth against each other, with the occasional lucky blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tobias Stolz-Zwilling posted:

It was necessary to split the game to put smaller “parts” on the Kickstarter. This however, isn’t up to date anymore. We already reshuffled this idea and will release a regular RPG title: Kingdom Come: Deliverance, with a closed story. The next game will be “Kingdom Come 2” (not official name) and will offer a new story, map and more.

That trilogy idea was squashed into the game we got

Unless they changed their plans again, I didn't follow any news post release

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

All it needed is praying to saints for miracles and a couple absurd German folk tale monsters out of nowhere and my dreams of a AAA Darklands remake would have been complete.

I know it's Bohemia but playing this game seriously gives me that old "ADVENTURES IN OLDE GERMANIA" feel. It even has alchemy! Though, less recipes and less philosopher's stones. And no insta-death traps that require a hard stat roll to avoid. Thank God.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I have thoughts on the ending, but I won't go into detail, mostly because I don't want a big block paragraph of spoiler-tag. Suffice to say I thought it was interesting but I felt unsatisfied.

It does seem like they're setting up for a direct sequel, though. That quote does say they're planning a Kingdom Come 2. I don't know how you can make a direct sequel for a game like this, though. Since you're building skills and customizing a character in the first one. Unless maybe in the next one you play as Hans, who is just starting to come out of his protected life and learn to stand on his own, with Henry taking the role of the experienced veteran helping him out where he can while trying to hold things together on his end, like Radzig did in Deliverance.

EDIT:

Quicksilver6 posted:

All it needed is praying to saints for miracles and a couple absurd German folk tale monsters out of nowhere and my dreams of a AAA Darklands remake would have been complete.

I know it's Bohemia but playing this game seriously gives me that old "ADVENTURES IN OLDE GERMANIA" feel. It even has alchemy! Though, less recipes and less philosopher's stones. And no insta-death traps that require a hard stat roll to avoid. Thank God.

Man, I was really hoping to find a mod that was like, "You played the normal 'realistic medieval peasant simulator' game, now play again as A MOTHERFUCKING SORCERER!" Sadly one does not exist.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 1, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do almost an entire quest, game never autosaves and you're out of Schnapps, lose an hour of progress because your horse fell of a cliff

The closer I get to the end, the more trouble I have continuing on, all the little annoyances and tedious time-wasting bullshit are really starting to get to me.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Do almost an entire quest, game never autosaves and you're out of Schnapps, lose an hour of progress because your horse fell of a cliff

The closer I get to the end, the more trouble I have continuing on, all the little annoyances and tedious time-wasting bullshit are really starting to get to me.

Yeah, I died to walking off small ledges more than anything else in the game. As for the Schnapps, I modded that out of the game halfway though the tutorial. It is the worst mechanic and I have absolutely no patience for it whatsoever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I also modded that out. It stinks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Azuren posted:

Interesting. Wonder how it'll turn out... not sure if they can replicate the charm of "lvl 1 illiterate peasant simulator"

On that note, I think the combat would be greatly improved if the master strike system was completely removed. IMO the combat was the most fun when you're at level 1 in lovely gear, fighting bandits in lovely gear, and you're dueling a bandit boss who has only medium-lovely gear, clanging perfect blocks back and forth against each other, with the occasional lucky blow.

i feel like they will probably make the combat easier in the next one and i kinda hope they add an easier save feature. apparently the next one will take place during the hussite wars.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished the game. That ending was kind of...anticlimactic, with the encyclopedia's worth of exposition and the overly long horse ride. They're definitely setting up a sequel, though. As it turns out I was wrong about Sir Radzig being a traitor, or at least it didn't come up. Am I the only one who thought this? The dude is really suspicious, isn't he?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:lol: at everyone who installs the Schnapps mod when the game throws free Schnapps at you left and right and by the time you get to Rattay you can just make it at the free alchemy station. :shrug:

Phlegmish posted:

Just finished the game. That ending was kind of...anticlimactic, with the encyclopedia's worth of exposition and the overly long horse ride. They're definitely setting up a sequel, though. As it turns out I was wrong about Sir Radzig being a traitor, or at least it didn't come up. Am I the only one who thought this? The dude is really suspicious, isn't he?

Pretty sure the historical figure stayed loyal to the end and was one of W's most ardent supporters. He never did get his castle back. :smith:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol: at everyone who installs the Schnapps mod when the game throws free Schnapps at you left and right and by the time you get to Rattay you can just make it at the free alchemy station. :shrug:

that poo poo is annoying as hell though

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
lmao (laughing my rear end off) at the idea that people would mod an annoying thing out of a game instead of anticipating that it goes from very annoying to pretty annoying at some point in the future that they dont know about yet!!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I never really had a problem with it. You can make them easy to the point where you can sell a bunch for items/equipment or buy them cheap. I tried to be renting inn rooms permanently ASAP anyways.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Gothsheep posted:

I have thoughts on the ending, but I won't go into detail, mostly because I don't want a big block paragraph of spoiler-tag. Suffice to say I thought it was interesting but I felt unsatisfied.

It does seem like they're setting up for a direct sequel, though. That quote does say they're planning a Kingdom Come 2. I don't know how you can make a direct sequel for a game like this, though. Since you're building skills and customizing a character in the first one. Unless maybe in the next one you play as Hans, who is just starting to come out of his protected life and learn to stand on his own, with Henry taking the role of the experienced veteran helping him out where he can while trying to hold things together on his end, like Radzig did in Deliverance.

EDIT:

Man, I was really hoping to find a mod that was like, "You played the normal 'realistic medieval peasant simulator' game, now play again as A MOTHERFUCKING SORCERER!" Sadly one does not exist.

Maybe they will make one for the game’s critics where you’re an black female peasant who becomes incredibly powerful and converts the historical medieval based characters to atheism and 21st century values. Your partner will also be a sassy gay friend.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Yo how the gently caress are you supposed to win the goddamn tourney when Black Peter can just master strike you endlessly

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

BitterAvatar posted:

Yo how the gently caress are you supposed to win the goddamn tourney when Black Peter can just master strike you endlessly

He is the most capable or 2nd best in the whole tourney series.

You have 3 strategies:
1) Wait and try to do a masterstrike yourself. If you have decent timing, it will just take you a looong time. Most surefire method, albeit feels cheap. Even if you fail it, you will most likely block him properly.
2) If you have good strength and clinch master perk, run and do clinches on him, push him to walls and do a few stabs or slashes from different directions. He would counter me less often than standard attacks.
3) Pure war of attrition. If you have really good vitality and some of the perks that let you do more stamina damage or throw more attacks (depends on weapon you wield). When they run out of stamina, a single bad block leaves them open.

It's very hard to land combos on him, but the numbad notation 1-5-5 combo for longswords. which is short and sweet has decent chances and leaves him open for attacks.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The game's combat system would be 500% improved if master strikes were removed altogether. They're unreliable for the player (at least in my case I had no idea how to reliably trigger them even after dozens of hours), and it's bullshit that the AI gets a random chance to inflict unblockable damage on you whenever you strike. I once lost a tourney fight where 95%+ of my injuries and damage taken came from my opponent's master strikes and I was playing almost perfectly otherwise. I was so pissed off. As a mechanic, master strikes are frustrating, arbitrary, opaque, they take away control from the player, and they break up the flow of combat. It's just bad design.

In fact, the sequel would benefit from a much more freeform combat system in general, but I assume that's off the table since it's multiplatform. Right now I'd settle for the removal of master strikes and making it feel less wooden and sterile.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I was okay at doing master strikes. I found that if you're just watching the HUD for the counter prompt, you're going to miss the master strike most of the time. You almost have to block before the prompt flashes to pull it off, which means you need to watch the enemy to see them telegraph their swing. They'll telegraph their swing before the block counter comes up, so that typically gave me the time I needed to pull off the riposte.

Though doing that meant that nearly every time they changed stance I'd flinch and block, and I'm pretty sure the AI is programmed to take advantage of whenever you do that and strike in that little window that you're recovering from your block and can't block again.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've been told if I like A Song of Ice and Fire and Witcher poo poo, that this game would be my jam. I've looked into this game. It appears it may be my jam. is this game good on side quests and being able to gently caress off in a huge world, or is it more "there's a big rear end world but you're rail roaded on the story?" I like both approaches, just curious how this one rolls.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

you're railroaded a bit at the start, but at a certain point fairly early in the story it really opens up

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wafflecopper posted:

you're railroaded a bit at the start, but at a certain point fairly early in the story it really opens up

I'm ok with that. I know it's a janky euro-rpg, which I don't mind, but how are bugs and performance now that we're over a year from release?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

chaosapiant posted:

I'm ok with that. I know it's a janky euro-rpg, which I don't mind, but how are bugs and performance now that we're over a year from release?

It’s a very immersive and playable game now. It’s combat system turns out to be kind of shallow once you’re a high level, but it’s worth a play through.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I've been told if I like A Song of Ice and Fire and Witcher poo poo, that this game would be my jam. I've looked into this game. It appears it may be my jam. is this game good on side quests and being able to gently caress off in a huge world, or is it more "there's a big rear end world but you're rail roaded on the story?" I like both approaches, just curious how this one rolls.

Definitely the former after a certain point in the game. I was the richest man in Bohemia before I got halfway through the main quest.

My main gripes with the game are the combat (especially the godawful master strike system) and that some of the 'realistic' elements are more tedious than immersive. Overall, though, it was a pretty great experience and unlike anything else I've ever played. They delivered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought this game at release for PC and could barely play the game. My computer just couldn't keep up. Tomorrow i'll have my new gaming PC with a RTX 2070, I am really excited to make this one of the first games I try out on it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm on an i7-3770 with a GTX 1080/16 GB Rams. Will game work good for me?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played it on i7-6700k/GTX 1070/16GB and it was fine. I'm guessing it's the kind of game where most of the strain is on the GPU, so your set-up should be more than adequate.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

chaosapiant posted:

That’s my setup except with a 4770 and it ran great at 1080p, no problems.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I played it on i7-6700k/GTX 1070/16GB and it was fine. I'm guessing it's the kind of game where most of the strain is on the GPU, so your set-up should be more than adequate.

I actually think most people who have bad performance are more bottlenecked with the cpu. There is a lot of heavy simulation going on in the background with the NPCs and other systems in the game and I think that takes its toll more than the graphic fidelity.
But that's just a theory based on my own experiences.

Also, for anyone starting the game, there are at least two areas in the "prologue" section of the game, before it opens up for real, where the performance is just... way worse than it is in other places generally speaking (except maybe in the middle of the biggest city). So don't be too put off and soldier through if that happens.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does the game support Ultrawide/21x9 resolutions? And FOV increases if so?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

chaosapiant posted:

You're railroaded through prologue, then you can do whatever you please, but there is a catch - you're really bad at fighting, game haven't unlocked all of combat mechanics for you to represent that. So you should stick with the plot some more until you get proper training and a free horse.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

You should be able to max most options at 1080p. Game starts in a tutorial village and spends up to 5 hours there depending on your pace.

After that, it can take a few more hours to get a horse: that is the ~Chapter 2~ moment where you can officially gently caress off and do whatever! Call it 2-20 hours depending on how much wandering you do.

God save you, Henry!

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i think cryengine tends to using the cpu more heavily, so that's the thing to worry about. i might be wrong though

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Does the game support Ultrawide/21x9 resolutions? And FOV increases if so?

Yes. I play on ultrawide.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Played through most of the game and it is really good.

I like the combat system, although the combo system can be a little infuriating when you at 3/4 and then they dodge or block or something that breaks your combo. Now you have no stamina and they hit you for damage to your health.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

About an hour into it and so far so good. Is English the best language to play the game, or is there a superior translation like Polish in Witcher 1?

The way NPCs emote is pretty cool, though sometimes a bit much. In the very beginning there’s this scene when Henry is nodding at poo poo his dad says, and he’s nodding so vigorously with a slight delay to when his words come out, that I thought he was legitimately on the spectrum. But that seems to have gotten better.

What sort of graphic settings y’all use? I have everything on high (not very high or ultra) with the view distance sliders 80% up and 1xtsaa or whatever, and I’m getting 45-85 depending on where I’m looking. It dips the most when I look across town. I’m using a GTX1080 with an i7 3770. Is that on par with what other folks get performance wise?

Edit: another hour in and goddamn I’m hooked. Game is amazing!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 4, 2019

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I haven't tried it, but considering its a czech team making a czech game in prague that the czech language is probably good?

re:npc emotes, start showing up to your quests blackout drunk

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There is no Czech available.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've heard good things about the German version, which I suppose would be slightly more thematically appropriate as it was part of the HRE and some upper-class people spoke German, but I played it in English and it was fine. I can't remember any really poor voice acting, though I'm so used to hearing exclusively British accents in these types of games that the American ones stood out at first.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also, please be aware that certain perks/skills are totally game-breaking. So don't take the food perks if you like the survival system, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have a question regarding the HD Texture pack: how do I use it? I mean, I've downloaded it, and I've turned it on in the graphics settings, but do I need to also turn on ultra textures in the advanced graphic settings? My original thought was that you turn on the HD textures, then switch to Ultra to take advantage of them, but nothing I'm reading online is saying as much, and if there is a difference I can hardly tell.

Edit: More impressions, this game has the best atmosphere since The Witcher 1. Being in a rainstorm at night on those castle battlements was surreal. I can only imagine how good this game would be if there were potentially a VR version.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 5, 2019