Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Totally tell the dog to stay when you stealth kill an entire camp in the dead of night. That was my preferred by to take out camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Totally tell the dog to stay when you stealth kill an entire camp in the dead of night. That was my preferred by to take out camps.

Yes, but for that to work the stay command would have to work, which it didn't haha. Finally settled on stealth for the cuman camp, then did a rapid fire sabotage while dodging swords from every direction for the bandit camp and hauled out of there on my horse :black101:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Jesus loving christ, this achievement for "don't kill anybody" is so stupid. It is nice for most of the game, except battles where you just pray you kill no one while your useless allies just derp around. Especially the attack on Talmberg is stupid since 6 of your dudes just drop dead before they reach ladders (I dried doing the side objectives and they don't save even one of those idiots), then on battlements it is completely random if they get immediately all killed or completely roll over enemies. If by any chance I even reach courtyard there are like 20 enemies and only allies left alive are Bernard (if he didn't get stuck on some steps) and one other idiot who are constantly getting pounded from all sides :rant: I don't know who is bigger idiot, if that guy who created this achievement or me for trying it

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Does using a club or mace help that achievement cause I can think of like 90% of quests that involve some killing

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Axe-man posted:

Does using a club or mace help that achievement cause I can think of like 90% of quests that involve some killing

You can get through most of main quests without hitting anyone (except killing Runt and beating Ulrich). The only frustrating part is battles, where you try to distract enemies while not killing them (in one part of Vranik, you can just sprint through burned tents and it apparently counts as clearing it out of enemies). Even then battles were not that bad and your allies do pretty alright without you, but this last part is really poo poo at that. Maybe there is some trick to this like clubbing enemies with sleeping potion, but it's kind of hard to say it if even does anything, or if it is, when it gets applied

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does the main quest clearly sign post when I can chill out and start exploring? I know that, technically, I can start tramping the countryside that as soon as I'm Rattay, but previous experience tells me that, mechanically, thematically, and narratively, I shouldn't, so when should I?

I'm attempting to play through the game for the second time; the last time I stopped it was because of a problem I was having balancing side quests and main quests. The last time I played, I started exploring the game world as soon as I was at the Rattay mill, and when I eventually returned to the main quest I realized I'd made a major mistake in putting it off because:

- The game had hidden several vital combat mechanics behind more tutorials

- All of the quests / cut scenes sort of had an implication that the events at Skalitz had just happened

- I was given some basic equipment that would have been very welcome at the start of the game but was now far worse than what I'd found

- In my playthrough Henry was being made a squire after I'd just spent a few weeks poaching game, stealing, and spending time in the jail. The narrative writing me into aspirations of nobility is fine, I just wish I'd known so I could have leaned into it a bit more.

"Ludonarrative Dissonance" might be a fancy term for it, but it was jarring and I ended up putting the game down because of it.

Anyways, I'm currently reading Pillars of the Earth and it's rekindled my desire to play King Come. Since I'm now aware how the main quest is immediately after the intro I'm running straight through the it and enjoying things a lot more - it fits thematically, the extended tutorial feel right, and the equipment I'm gaining matters.

My question is: when should I go out and explore? Is there going to be a clearly marked "you've hit the main game, go nuts" moment? Currently I'm just training in the practice field and waiting to meet up with Nightinggale, the town guard, and while I know I've played through this far before, I can't remember quite how far I actually got in the main quest previously; I know I didn't retrieve my father's sword, assuming that happens.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

My question is: when should I go out and explore? Is there going to be a clearly marked "you've hit the main game, go nuts" moment? Currently I'm just training in the practice field and waiting to meet up with Nightinggale, the town guard, and while I know I've played through this far before, I can't remember quite how far I actually got in the main quest previously; I know I didn't retrieve my father's sword, assuming that happens.

The standard idea seems to be to rush through early main quest to do sparring, get a horse and progress till you get the quest "Ginger in a Pickle". You are free to do poo poo then and not have anything time sensitive.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sounds like it'll cover me mechanically, since I imagine getting a horse is a bit of a capstone to the soft tutorial that seems to be continuing after the intro, but is it also a narrative down beat that sort of puts a bow on what's happened so far and suggests I can take a break from the main quest?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not exactly. The main quest is more or less a rapid fire narrative chain until Baptism of Fire, 3-4 quests later. It certainly slows down for a bit after Ginger in a Pickle though, and sends you off for one of the most entertaining quests in the game.

Just watch out for the quest On The Scent. It's fine if you don't do it right away, but you're certainly supposed to.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

Not exactly. The main quest is more or less a rapid fire narrative chain until Baptism of Fire, 3-4 quests later. It certainly slows down for a bit after Ginger in a Pickle though, and sends you off for one of the most entertaining quests in the game.

Just watch out for the quest On The Scent. It's fine if you don't do it right away, but you're certainly supposed to.

I may well hold out until Baptism then, I really would like keep the narrative chain going.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Some of you guys might be interested there's a movie coming out called Medieval on the Ninth that deals with Jan Zizka and takes place around the period of the game. Haven't seen a screener or anything but I'm going to assume it ain't getting poo poo marketing so I might let the people who might care know about it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've just completed Ginger in a Pickle, and before I bugger off to find Limpy the Limper, I feel like I desperately need to get some training in. Am I free to faff about as I please, or is it one of those "right, we feel generous, you may have THREE days to get to it" quests; like, for example, digging up that ring for the miller, which I forgot and subsequently failed?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
This should not have any timer as far as I remember

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

inscrutable horse posted:

I've just completed Ginger in a Pickle, and before I bugger off to find Limpy the Limper, I feel like I desperately need to get some training in. Am I free to faff about as I please, or is it one of those "right, we feel generous, you may have THREE days to get to it" quests; like, for example, digging up that ring for the miller, which I forgot and subsequently failed?

Hang on there is a spoilered list of time sensitive quests in my history...

edit:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Pretty sure you can safely spend an in-game day or two training with captain whatshisname outside Rattay, near the inn. That practice should level you up pretty easily.

I think the questline with the bandits that attack the horsefarm ("on the scent"?) is the last super time-sensitive thing until after the big battle. If you get through that, you can stretch your legs: chill out, learn to read, get drunk with the priest, etc.

Here is a list of the time-sensitive quest titles I've found:
  • money for old rope
  • in god's hands
  • pestilence
  • on the scent
  • miracles while you wait
  • rob from the rich (patched, no longer time sensitive)
  • house of god
  • sport for kings
  • is a friend indeed
  • at your service my lady

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I loved this game and want to play it again sometime, but the thought of dealing with the combat scares me a little. When you're a walking medieval tank in full plate mail and 360 noscoping bandits with your mace, its fine, but early game it just feels like a gamble if you're going to win or die.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Node posted:

I loved this game and want to play it again sometime, but the thought of dealing with the combat scares me a little. When you're a walking medieval tank in full plate mail and 360 noscoping bandits with your mace, its fine, but early game it just feels like a gamble if you're going to win or die.

An hour or two irl getting stuck in with Bernard oughta fix that... :ese:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

inscrutable horse posted:

Yeah if you're on to Mysterious Ways you're free to take your time. The next quest (On The Scent) does have a timer, though you don't outright fail if you aren't fast enough.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you have time to waste on dumb bullshit, maxing out your stats in the tutorial is good for a chuckle.

My old pics from this thread:

Before leaving Skalitz:

After leaving Skalitz:

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 4, 2022

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Awesome, thanks goons! Looks like Cap'n Bernie is going to get his daily exercises for the next couple of weeks :)

Pwnstar posted:

If you have time to waste on dumb bullshit, maxing out your stats in the tutorial is good for a chuckle.

Welp, now I've got goals for a future play-through.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Didn’t they fix the method for maxing combat skills in the tutorial?

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

the sequel's getting announced on YouTube in 3,5 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48DEEjyS5k

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hell yeah

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Coming out in 2024?
:hellyeah:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
We got motherfucking guns. Let's go.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This game is going to own.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Dog petting confirmed!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Holy poo poo this looks fantastic.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Music still great, crossbows and guns, huge cities, huge maps, still eurojank.
Personal 2024 GOTY already.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Looks rad, stoked to play this, really gonna post-facto justify my purchase of a new GPU this year :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Looks like we’re still playing as Henry? Well poo poo I gotta play and beat the first game finally!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Thank God it´s still 'enry!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Looks like we’re still playing as Henry? Well poo poo I gotta play and beat the first game finally!

Hmm, judging by the trailer, he's gotta get hurt real bad to justify having to relearn everything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah definitely got that sense.

Which is fine, if it creates time for more misadventures with Hans

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh poo poo, I remember googling KCD2 not that long ago wondering if there was any news and at the time it didn’t sound likely a sequel was ever going to come out. Great to hear that was wrong!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Seems like Kunta Hora, the mining town is going to be the main area to be explored. That's awesome, I visited there once and it was amazing.

https://www.ign.com/articles/kingdom-come-deliverance-2-xbox-ps5-pc-warhorse-studios

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 19, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, time to kick Sigismund's rear end in the name of the chalice :black101: (or maybe kick Žižka's rear end in the name of the cross?)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seems like Kunta Hora, the mining town is going to be the main area to be explored. That's awesome, I visited there once and it was amazing.

Wait, you can go to Kuttenberg in Darklands, and the games are even set contemporaneously (1400 is the start year in Darklands, and a typical campaign takes 3 to 5 years of gametime).

If Henry runs into the wild hunt poo poo's gonna get real

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.
gently caress yeah, Henry's coming back to see us.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I played a lot of KC:D1 but never finished it; I'm surprised we're playing as Henry again. It wouldn't have been my first choice but I'll greedily play any sequel, the first game is unique and I'm excited to see what they do with more time, money, and development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jack B Nimble posted:

I played a lot of KC:D1 but never finished it; I'm surprised we're playing as Henry again. It wouldn't have been my first choice but I'll greedily play any sequel, the first game is unique and I'm excited to see what they do with more time, money, and development.

The ending of KCD may as well say "HENRY'S STORY WILL CONTINUE..." Not a surprise at all.