Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So how are you supposed to get out of Talmberg then?
Just give up on actually getting the armor from the 'right' way of doing things and get imprisoned/kicked out on purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah, the armour is in a locked chest, you have limited lockpicks, the chest isn't even the easiest level, and lockpicking is broken on consoles at least. Just punch a guard.

I managed to do it the 'proper' way after many reloads and to be honest it nearly soured me on the whole game.

Also, when you go to uzhitz is there any way of progressing if you fail to convince Godwin to help? I messed up first time and spent hours looking for an alternative solution with no luck, ended up reloading an earlier save

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 18, 2018

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

So how are you supposed to get out of Talmberg then?
Just give up on actually getting the armor from the 'right' way of doing things and get imprisoned/kicked out on purpose?

You can jump off the draw bridge to the rocks below.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Also, when you go to uzhitz is there any way of progressing if you fail to convince Godwin to help? I messed up first time and spent hours looking for an alternative solution with no luck, ended up reloading an earlier save

I had to look it up, you need to talk to the red hat bailiff again and he gives you a new lead.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I gotta say, delivering a hungover sermon that I'd only heard the night before while in my smallclothes was not what I was expecting when I got this game.

I mean, I could have put clothes on, but I don't think anyone would have been impressed with the gambeson I had been sleeping in for the past week.

I think I'm close to unconquerable god-Henry status. I've got enough armor people are starting to confuse me for a knight, and enough training and skill that I'm no longer flailing like a peasant.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dareon posted:

I gotta say, delivering a hungover sermon that I'd only heard the night before while in my smallclothes was not what I was expecting when I got this game.

I mean, I could have put clothes on, but I don't think anyone would have been impressed with the gambeson I had been sleeping in for the past week.

I think I'm close to unconquerable god-Henry status. I've got enough armor people are starting to confuse me for a knight, and enough training and skill that I'm no longer flailing like a peasant.

I think that quest stands out because, despite waiting for the hammer to drop, it all turns out well if you get through the speech. :catholic::hf::cheers:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Henry's come to visit us

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So um, is there a good time for me to jump off the main storyline railroad anytime soon?

I got through The Prey by the skin of my teeth after many failures only when I was able to silently take down the melee Cuman, leaving me one-on-one with the archer Cuman. Now I'm apparently on a crash course with the guys who took the sword, but I am nowhere near ready for any of that. I tried to disregard it and do my own thing but I wound up failing the 'meeting with Captain Bernard(?)' objective. Is there some point between here and some fight I can't win where I can just disengage and take care of my own business for a time?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

So um, is there a good time for me to jump off the main storyline railroad anytime soon?

I got through The Prey by the skin of my teeth after many failures only when I was able to silently take down the melee Cuman, leaving me one-on-one with the archer Cuman. Now I'm apparently on a crash course with the guys who took the sword, but I am nowhere near ready for any of that. I tried to disregard it and do my own thing but I wound up failing the 'meeting with Captain Bernard(?)' objective. Is there some point between here and some fight I can't win where I can just disengage and take care of my own business for a time?

Just go to Neuhof with Captain Bernard. You'll do a couple of things there and then be turned loose. With a free horse.

It'll be a bit more obvious from then on when you are about to trigger a bit of the main story that's time sensitive.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Since it's apparently not well-known, you can just sneakily untie Sir Hans in that mission and book it. The two Cumans are supposed to be a nigh-unsurmountable challenge.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Since it's apparently not well-known, you can just sneakily untie Sir Hans in that mission and book it. The two Cumans are supposed to be a nigh-unsurmountable challenge.

nah. the bow is really good and you'll be able to get off a shot from pretty close in, making aiming relatively easy; a headshot will put one down and the last one isn't too tough solo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that's how I did it. Just domed both of them with arrows and hosed off.

That was around the time I put the game down though, too many bugs and this was near release. Have they fixed most of the game breaking poo poo yet?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Fought Cuman A and used him to block sight from Cuman B. I should finish this game at some point, I left off around the quest where Henry and Radzig have a chat on a cliff and it's very clear why Radzig indulged Henry's bullshit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Having finished the game a few months back my main impression is that it strangely fails to take advantage of it's USP - the really interesting swordplay.

I spend enormous stretches of the game not fighting anything, then the second half of the main story throws you into a sequence of battles which you mostly spend circling round the enemy and hacking into their backs. Either that, or fighting 3-4 v 1 and having to back away constantly and frantically change target lock to the most relevant threat.

I would have really appreciated a pace that more regularly put me into 1v1 fights against an opponent that takes a bit of work to defeat.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I couldn't figure out how to pull that trick off since Cuman A is sitting on the log staring at Hans.
Also, just so we're clear. Shooting things from a bow from more than 10 feet away is a total crapshoot yes?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ChrisBTY posted:

I couldn't figure out how to pull that trick off since Cuman A is sitting on the log staring at Hans.
Also, just so we're clear. Shooting things from a bow from more than 10 feet away is a total crapshoot yes?

Not entirely a crapshoot. The aim only moves side to side. It is also exactly at the original position at the end of the draw. You are not supposed to hold an arrow: aim first, then release at the moment the arrow is fully drawn.

If you have to hold and aim, wait for your sway to center again and release when you are lined up. Again, if you didn't adjust the aim at all after starting your draw, the screen only moves left to right, just wait for it to center!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, once you figure that out you can win every archery contest trivially if you're so inclined.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In fact doing that is probably one of the easier ways to make money, assuming you don't wanna go kill a few dudes and then sloooooooooowly limp back into town.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

dogstile posted:

In fact doing that is probably one of the easier ways to make money, assuming you don't wanna go kill a few dudes and then sloooooooooowly limp back into town.

Poaching.

:ssh:
cook the meat before you sell it

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

dogstile posted:

Yeah that's how I did it. Just domed both of them with arrows and hosed off.

That was around the time I put the game down though, too many bugs and this was near release. Have they fixed most of the game breaking poo poo yet?

I've been playing it awhile and haven't seen any gamebreaking poo poo.
I was however dismayed to learn that after finally upgrading from my lovely Seax the weapon I got doesn't have a drat model for some reason so I'm swinging an invisible sword.
Which is funny until you try to grind it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bought this as part of the GOG sale and spent like most of my weekend playing it since I was having a real good time. I wake up this morning and try to load my save and it crashes on load. Try to load the next older save and the same thing. Finally get one that loads from like 6 hours of game play ago. Am I hosed or is there some way to repair saves? So far google search suggests that I am hosed

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dogstile posted:

I came across a guard tower along the wall behind the church in Rattay, that was trivially easy to sneak into and absolutely loving loaded with expensive weaponry. Like, dozens upon dozens of swords and poo poo in the 500-1000 value range. Just nab all you can carry, sell what your fences can afford to pay for and stash the rest until either the stolen tag clears or the fences replenish their coin. So yeah, if you're not overly concerned about cheesy poo poo like this, it's very easy to get absurdly rich in this game in no time. Unless that place has been patched out, it's been a while since I played.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I bought this as part of the GOG sale and spent like most of my weekend playing it since I was having a real good time. I wake up this morning and try to load my save and it crashes on load. Try to load the next older save and the same thing. Finally get one that loads from like 6 hours of game play ago. Am I hosed or is there some way to repair saves? So far google search suggests that I am hosed

I took a break, upgraded my PC and thought I'd finish the game in style, but my saves are broken. When I load them up, everyone just stands around, I can stealth kill them all, but can't talk to anyone or progress the story. Instead of diving back into my older saves, I think I'll just start over. I always find that easier than trying to decide where I left off.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
1.07 and Hans Capon DLC is out.
Will dive in and hope my saves are not hosed up.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I was playing with the cheathappens trainer, and put on one hit kills. Bumping into people kills them, but doesn't trigger that you killed them. I went to get something to drink and the cutscene ended and the king dude from the first castle bumped into me, died and then a bunch of guards freaked out cause the king was dead and tried to find him. The guards kept bumping into me and dying. I came back with my drink and nearly half the town was dead in a pile around me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

AxeManiac posted:

I was playing with the cheathappens trainer, and put on one hit kills. Bumping into people kills them, but doesn't trigger that you killed them. I went to get something to drink and the cutscene ended and the king dude from the first castle bumped into me, died and then a bunch of guards freaked out cause the king was dead and tried to find him. The guards kept bumping into me and dying. I came back with my drink and nearly half the town was dead in a pile around me.

:golfclap:

Henry's here to see us!

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Continued my new hardcore game from a couple months ago, and caught up to where I left off right after release (got to You Shits :v: )
Game is so much better it seems, and I really enjoyed it before. At least now if you choose to wait until people go to bed, they no longer throw on all their armor when they wake up! Before, I would choke one out and have to duel the hell out of the other until the former woke anyway.

This time I waited in the trees until they went to sleep, choked one, and the other fought me in his underwear...two slashes and he died, and I stabbed the unconscious one. :black101:

Slept in the other corpse free sleeping bag until morning and went on my way with some new loot. It was awesome.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So how's that Hans DLC?

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I wonder how that dlc is as well. I haven’t played either, I just got back to the part in the main quest where you first arrive at Ushitz. I know a lot of players are reporting that the Hans dlc is like 3hrs long and are unhappy. A couple of obscure review sites are loving it, and it was just announced by Rick from Warhorse that there was is a bug that is preventing an entire quest line.

I’m not sure how far into the main quest I am, but everything seems to be flying pretty fast with little time to branch off a bit (although I am to the point where I learned to read again and do some side stuff)

Really loving hardcore mode. Resting in the tavern for a second night after reading I drank some moonshine and beers alone in the loft. As the hours ticked by in sleep mode I heard Henry burp, and upon waking at 5am his sleepwalking kicked in and woke I’m an outhouse on some farm. “Henry has come to see us!”

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, it seems short. Lots of players are reporting that Hans won't even talk to you to start the quest. It adds a tournament too. Probably best for fans wanting more.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Are they still doing a lady-dlc where you get to play as the tavern wench?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Are they still doing a lady-dlc where you get to play as the tavern wench?

It's the last one planned, called 'A Woman's lot'. Next one is 'Land of Bastards'.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is this game good now? Lots of bug-fix patches and DLC?

I see it's pretty heavily discounted right now on Steam.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
It's plenty stable and game-breaking bugs are all gone. As an open world, it's going to have a base level of bugginess, though. DLC is partially out, the first 2? 3? have come out. I played it after the first round of patches and found it perfectly playable. If it looked like your thing to begin with, you should enjoy it just fine without bugs in the way.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

It looked interesting but early reviews said it was a poorly optimized, bug-ridden disaster.

I generally enjoy open world games, except all the associated bugs. What's the RPG gameplay like in this one other than "fetch quest" and "left-click to swing sword"?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

pmchem posted:

Is this game good now? Lots of bug-fix patches and DLC?

I see it's pretty heavily discounted right now on Steam.

If you have any nostalgia for early-2000s RPGs like Morrowind, buy it now.

If you want a gritty-historical version of The Witcher with a bizarre combat system: buy in!

The game has its quirks but I would say it’s definitely worth $50 and if you can get it for $30 or less you’re getting a great deal on dollars/hour of entertainment.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's the most unique and ambitious RPG I've played in awhile. It tries a lot of new things, some work some don't but overall it feels very immersive.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

pmchem posted:

poorly optimized, bug-ridden disaster

Yes it is, but it's still fun and the bugs are not that bad. Totally not GOTY but I enjoyed it and started a second play-through.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

pmchem posted:

It looked interesting but early reviews said it was a poorly optimized, bug-ridden disaster.

I generally enjoy open world games, except all the associated bugs. What's the RPG gameplay like in this one other than "fetch quest" and "left-click to swing sword"?

There are lots of words being said, there is a plot, there are characters you will love (the priest) and characters you will hate (the henry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
God save you, Henry!