Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mr. Pool posted:

2) Got a speech level up as I tried to ford a river and Henry said his "whoa poo poo can't swim" line
which occurs to me you could in theory? grind speech up to max by just repeatedly trying to walk into a deep body of water and making Henry talk to himself

You cannot, unfortunately. I did get get speech XP(40% to 41% at lvl 8), but Henry only said the line once and did not repeat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Mr. Pool posted:

I've gotten some truly bizarre exp from random activities:

1) Strength level up as I set the dude's broken leg at the Monastery

2) Got a speech level up as I tried to ford a river and Henry said his "whoa poo poo can't swim" line
which occurs to me you could in theory? grind speech up to max by just repeatedly trying to walk into a deep body of water and making Henry talk to himself

You get speech XP the first time Henry says something "unique" so just talk to everyone and exhaust all dialog options that are not grey (already seen) and you will level up speech pretty fast.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

TjyvTompa posted:

You get speech XP the first time Henry says something "unique" so just talk to everyone and exhaust all dialog options that are not grey (already seen) and you will level up speech pretty fast.

Yeah, when talking to random villagers, if the line is still white and not greyed-out, you get XP for clicking, even if you've heard it before!

If you want a silver-tongued Henry, chat up every yokel in Skalitz and Rattay!

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Ok I've got my pickpocketing level up to 13 or so now so I can do a bunch more quests, only now I've lost 30 or so reputation with rattay guards and citizens, how can I get these reputations back up? Is quests the only way? I think I've maxed out the buffs I can get from putting apples in cookpots and I can't tip to get those reputations up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

If you want to build up your reputation early, sell your items to a merchant one at a time. The reputation boost is per transaction, not per unit.

If you’ve ruined your reputation in a given town, you can improve it with trading. Sell a trader an item, haggle one step cheaper, and make the deal. Doing so will improve your reputation with them, though it only works if you move one step cheaper.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
won't this only boost my reputation with 'Rattay Traders' ?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Anecdotally, I've heard punching a guard and serving your requisite time in jail will improve your standing with the citizenry. I tried it once but my reputation was so bad, it didn't help.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
on another note Rattay is very pretty irl

also they kinda nailed it

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mr. Pool posted:

on another note Rattay is very pretty irl

also they kinda nailed it

They really did. This thread is also now old enough that I bet a bunch of people have never seen this gem:

Pharohman777 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1czyobl9Oc

A couple from Prague decided to go visit one of the ingame towns that actually exist.

The video has english subtitles.

They mention that a bunch of people from Prague are starting to go over and visit these small towns.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
that rules

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They really did. This thread is also now old enough that I bet a bunch of people have never seen this gem:

no one calls him hal though

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I am replaying the game after getting the dlc this weekend. Has anyone else encountered a bug with the first miller quest "a good thief" where you have to steal the ring from the executioner? I've done it before, so I know which chest it's supposed to be in- the one inside his house with the savior schnapps. But it isn't there for some reason? I've even tried to buy it from him directly, and the dialogue suggests that I do, but the quest never updates and I don't get the ring.

I assume if I just skip it I can find the next miller on my own and continue from there? I was hoping to make this henry a thief this run and everything

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Poor Outlook posted:

I am replaying the game after getting the dlc this weekend. Has anyone else encountered a bug with the first miller quest "a good thief" where you have to steal the ring from the executioner? I've done it before, so I know which chest it's supposed to be in- the one inside his house with the savior schnapps. But it isn't there for some reason? I've even tried to buy it from him directly, and the dialogue suggests that I do, but the quest never updates and I don't get the ring.

I assume if I just skip it I can find the next miller on my own and continue from there? I was hoping to make this henry a thief this run and everything

Have you tried digging up the body? Pretty sure the ring won’t spawn until you dig up the grave.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Have you tried digging up the body? Pretty sure the ring won’t spawn until you dig up the grave.

Yeah dug up the body, went back to the miller, got the lock picking tutorial, and went back and the ring wasn't there. Even tried reloading and playing the quest again, but no dice. I was just wondering if it was a dlc specific bug or something.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
so, whens the sequel?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mycroft Holmes posted:

so, whens the sequel?

They just dropped the last DLC so probably 2-5 years?

Poor Outlook posted:

Yeah dug up the body, went back to the miller, got the lock picking tutorial, and went back and the ring wasn't there. Even tried reloading and playing the quest again, but no dice. I was just wondering if it was a dlc specific bug or something.

Sounds like it's bugged...either go back to before you even started the quest, give up on thieving, or force it with the console.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Got the game from humble bundle monthly, how is it? Steam screenshots don't looks so great.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tenzarin posted:

Got the game from humble bundle monthly, how is it? Steam screenshots don't looks so great.

Game is beautiful on good hardware. Gameplay/UI is on par with the jank/buginess you'd expect from a first time studio. Reminds me most of Morrowind, warts and all.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can I just run around and rough up some bandits or is it like an on rails story game?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Can I just run around and rough up some bandits or is it like an on rails story game?

It's definitely an Elder Scrolls-alike. The first bit is a bit on rails, but then you're pretty much turned loose to do whatever. If you stumble across bandits, you can kill them as you see fit. If you happen across them at night, they could be asleep and unarmored.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, once you get a horse you can do whatever you want.

You can actually do it before then, once you lose the sword and get carried to Rattay you can gently caress off from the main quest, but you have to buy your own horse...

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Can't wait for Kingdom Come: Jan Hus

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Defeat your enemies by staying well hydrated at all times

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Buller posted:

Can't wait for Kingdom Come: Jan Hus

would love a sequel set during the hussite wars, tbh

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Man, I feel like an idiot by not picking up the masterstrike thing from Bernard earlier. I went from not being able to win even the first match in the Rattay tournament, to easily breezing through the whole thing with only a couple scratches.

I did pick up that top-end longsword by grabbing it from the bathhouse chest during the hans capon quest. I've generally found myself having more luck just braining people with a ceremonial mace though, while using a shield.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When I use a grindstone the graphics of the sword go super low res and it makes it almost look like celshading. This also makes it super hard to find the parts I need to grind to sharpen. Is there any fix to this?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I also can compete in the tourny with every single weapon but the god drat hunting sword in which I can keep the fight going forever but I never do any damage to the other guy. I can't find any kind of tricks with the hunting sword or any information whats happening wrong.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also Hieronymous Alloy's guide on steam is really good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tenzarin posted:

I also can compete in the tourny with every single weapon but the god drat hunting sword in which I can keep the fight going forever but I never do any damage to the other guy. I can't find any kind of tricks with the hunting sword or any information whats happening wrong.

I think the hunting sword only does slash damage, so you can't cheese it by right-clicking...or, more accurately, the stab-attack does almost zero damage.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I usually just go for the master block counterattack and like two of those where you stab 'em in the face and the ai usually gives in.

Tenzarin posted:

When I use a grindstone the graphics of the sword go super low res and it makes it almost look like celshading. This also makes it super hard to find the parts I need to grind to sharpen. Is there any fix to this?

I can never see what parts need grinding, I just grind the whole thing equally and when it gets down to just little sparks I call it good, usually gets me to like 97+

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I drank a bunch of potions like I'm the witcher and failed. I'll just have to try again later.

After getting my fill of poaching rabbits, I figured that I gain a decent amount of skills from just attempting the tourney. Bernald kinda kicks your rear end and he breaks all your armor if you use it. So I figured using the tourney for training might be a good idea. Got no hunting swords and I won barely.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 6, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I did wind up replaying on hardcore and I had completely forgotten how fun this was. Just sprinted my way through Ginger in a Pickle (knowing to actually report in to Bernard completely changes the feel of that quest, I really love how they did that), now starting to get out and explore the world again. Couple things though:

• What's with this thing where NPCs you're fighting just stand around looking at you, letting you just leisurely pop them with arrows?
  • Has anyone else found levelling Mace to be really slow relative to sword? I've barely used a sword at all, and it's already soared ahead of my mace skill. Maybe the Rattay tournament yields way more experience than training with Bernard? Also curse these practice bludgeons still beating the gently caress out of me.
  • Levelling alchemy remains annoying as gently caress.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

So I did wind up replaying on hardcore and I had completely forgotten how fun this was. Just sprinted my way through Ginger in a Pickle (knowing to actually report in to Bernard completely changes the feel of that quest, I really love how they did that), now starting to get out and explore the world again. Couple things though:

• What's with this thing where NPCs you're fighting just stand around looking at you, letting you just leisurely pop them with arrows?
  • Has anyone else found levelling Mace to be really slow relative to sword? I've barely used a sword at all, and it's already soared ahead of my mace skill. Maybe the Rattay tournament yields way more experience than training with Bernard? Also curse these practice bludgeons still beating the gently caress out of me.
  • Levelling alchemy remains annoying as gently caress.

Extremely inactive npcs used to be a bug, though it was supposedly fixed(it was by the time I played back in March). If you are not on an outdated version, somehow it relapsed I guess. Alchemy is one of the skills I paid a lot of money to train and get to like 10 quickly. I like the feel of creating a new potion/alcohol, but the grind is a pain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tenzarin posted:

Also Hieronymous Alloy's guide on steam is really good.

Thanks!

I need to update it but I still remember the game too well to do anew playthrough.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I was riding back to the mill and then rope was in the way and knocked me off my loving horse! loving huffing Black Peter loving jumped me with a loving poisoned sword!

Master strikes finally clicked like 3 tournaments in. I pity wayfaring knights who ask to duel me now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh right, I remember what I wanted to ask: is there some trick to dodging? I feel like I have perfect blocking more or less figured out (even if I miss it plenty), but dodging I've just never gotten the hang of, even when it's just Bernard. I do it sometimes, but other times not and I can't feel the timing difference, and because hardcore I don't have the indicators to tell me why.

Same thing goes for combos, I wish the game had wooden dummies I could fight just to practice the rhythm of those.

P.S. yeah Hieronymus your guide is still gold.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I am generally just using the guide for the perk recommendations atm because I am trying to slow down on how much I spoiler by looking for answers for game mechanics atm.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I know they call out different names in the tournament, but I swear its always the same guy but in a new helmet. Its like they ran out of people to send at Henry.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So I've noticed that the late game loves to throw you into fights with large numbers of enemies; a random roadside ambush I was in had 8 fully armored dudes run out of the bush (either that or some got pulled in from a raider camp nearby? Some seemed to trickle in). It's in hardcore, though I'm not sure if that makes a difference, I recall the Skalitz hill being a dangerous place last time I played too. Is there some trick to surviving these? I feel like it's just a non-stop series of animation locks, either trapped in clinches or riposte animations as people take swings at you. Though I'd expect that the answer might just be "you're not really supposed to win a 1 v. 8 fight".

Also, for Band of Bastards (spoilers I guess): is there any trick to keeping people alive during the final fight? Or do you just have to hope you get lucky taking out the mace armed folks first? First time I ran through the fight I feel like Kuno and friends died almost instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty sure Bernard tells you straight up that you don't learn as much with practice weapons, that's why there is the option to fight him with real weapons.