Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I got the game a few weeks ago and liked it well enough roleplaying as a night stalker serial killer, but I just noticed that they've recently added it to the microsoft's game pass, so if anyone's on the fence that's a pretty easy way of getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Steam Workshop will be in the game.

https://www.pcgamer.com/kingdom-com...=0&ns_fee=0

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm sure there'll be some nice rebalances and retextures (And some less-than-nice ones, and some automatic rifles, and some lightsabers), but my mind instantly went to a shitler adding swastikas because "This is before Nazi Germany, so they don't actually mean anything!"

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Got the game recently and it's really been scratching the itches of skyrim and mount & blade for me. Really enjoying the difficulty of it, feels quite balanced and brutally fair. It got the daily needs stuff down really well compared that that strange litter of unfinished survival games that sprouted up a few years back - ark, rust etc - and I'm so far enjoying how it ties into the roleplay element of it, I want to be seen as all honourable and stuff but I'm also skint and hungry right now. I've been really taking it slowly, I just got to "The Prey" at 9 1/2 hours in, guessing that's slow as hell as its still feels like its the tutorial.

One thing that is bugging me though, is it best played on controller rather than mouse and keyboard? Lockpicking especially feels like it was designed for sticks rather than a mouse. Can't tell if the reason I haven't managed even once is that I need to gitgud or got parkinsons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Buy wine or beer. They can fill you up and level drinking and most important don't spoil! Just don't over drink!

Get the mod for lockpicking I think there is a link in the OP that divides the lock into segments. Its very similar to skyrim/bethesda games, you find the spot where the whole circle is yellow. Then you hold down the button to turn it while keeping it in the same place.

I think its this one but I didn't install the version without runes.
https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/32

Also you may want to turn on the cursor with the bow. It's in the section of the guide, Settings, Config, Mods, & Console.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305878776&searchtext=Search+Kingdom+Come%3A+Deliverance+Guides

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 6, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

wit posted:

Got the game recently and it's really been scratching the itches of skyrim and mount & blade for me. Really enjoying the difficulty of it, feels quite balanced and brutally fair. It got the daily needs stuff down really well compared that that strange litter of unfinished survival games that sprouted up a few years back - ark, rust etc - and I'm so far enjoying how it ties into the roleplay element of it, I want to be seen as all honourable and stuff but I'm also skint and hungry right now. I've been really taking it slowly, I just got to "The Prey" at 9 1/2 hours in, guessing that's slow as hell as its still feels like its the tutorial.

One thing that is bugging me though, is it best played on controller rather than mouse and keyboard? Lockpicking especially feels like it was designed for sticks rather than a mouse. Can't tell if the reason I haven't managed even once is that I need to gitgud or got parkinsons.

Everybody who was playing console at launch was complaining that lockpicking was way easier with a mouse. I don't find it hard at all keeping it in the zone, but I'm used to FPS games, ymmv I guess.

As for food I feel like I go the whole game without buying much at all. Dead enemies usually have loads of food to loot, dried meat is especially great because it doesn't spoil, but it's all good.

If you need money then looting armor off people you kill is the best way to fix that. Poaching isn't bad either (cook the meat to clear the stolen flag), though you'll want to wait until the plot gives you a horse to really get into either. You're very close to that point now.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 6, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I’m pretty sure the lockpicking for consoles was patched then, because last I played it was nigh impossible

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Lockpicking is quite easy with the mouse, when you get a few points in it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The base game is on sale for $15 on steam. Is the Royal Edition for $30 worth it? The DLC reviews on steam look mixed.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

PittTheElder posted:

Everybody who was playing console at launch was complaining that lockpicking was way easier with a mouse. I don't find it hard at all keeping it in the zone, but I'm used to FPS games, ymmv I guess.

As for food I feel like I go the whole game without buying much at all. Dead enemies usually have loads of food to loot, dried meat is especially great because it doesn't spoil, but it's all good.

If you need money then looting armor off people you kill is the best way to fix that. Poaching isn't bad either (cook the meat to clear the stolen flag), though you'll want to wait until the plot gives you a horse to really get into either. You're very close to that point now.

theft is by far and away the most lucrative option. 10 in lockpicking and a padfoot potion

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mu Zeta posted:

The base game is on sale for $15 on steam. Is the Royal Edition for $30 worth it? The DLC reviews on steam look mixed.

a woman’s lot and band of bastards are with $15 together imo but not much more. and the other three are whatever

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think if you're buying the whole deal as a package with a discount, it's worth it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If you enjoy the game, it's worth it to bundle the DLC, since the package price is the same as either of the big ones, netting you the rest for free. Pretty sure you can upgrade to the Royal Edition if you get the base game and change your mind later. It goes on sale every 3-4 months.
:shrug:

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

The drunk lockpicking perk is a bit OP, I'm now apparently a master thief after picking approximately 20 locks.

Also, condolences to every shopkeeper in Rattay on the mysterious disappearance of your inventory. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the gentlemen you politely asked to leave your house at 2AM.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Foehammer posted:

The drunk lockpicking perk is a bit OP, I'm now apparently a master thief after picking approximately 20 locks.

Also, condolences to every shopkeeper in Rattay on the mysterious disappearance of your inventory. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the gentlemen you politely asked to leave your house at 2AM.

Lock picking is now suitably difficult for me but not impossible. I was just being overenthusiastic about keeping the ball golden at all times and the instant snapping in the training made me act like the picks were made of straw when they can actually take a bit of abuse. Bad tutorial, bad. Didn't know about the lucky drunk perk. Central European games are hilariously positive when it comes to getting blackout drunk and doing batshit things.

As for the five finger discount, I have to admit my own Henry has just turned into a thieving git too. The different systems are so greatly fleshed out it really makes me wish you had more plot freedom to just be a thief, or an alchemist/travelling snakeoil salesman and gently caress the plot. On the subject of shops, is it my imagination or does selling to a vendor increase the money they have the next time they stock up? It'd make sense that they're running a profit on the stuff you're selling them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah their cash reserve definitely builds up as you sell stuff to them. Before I stopped selling stuff because money had lost all value to me, the Rattay armourer was sitting on about 30k, and my Pribyslavitz armourer about 90k.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah their cash reserve definitely builds up as you sell stuff to them. Before I stopped selling stuff because money had lost all value to me, the Rattay armourer was sitting on about 30k, and my Pribyslavitz armourer about 90k.

The Rattay alchemist buys more or less anything, so when you sell poo poo to him, his stash builds up quick.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Megazver posted:

The Rattay alchemist buys more or less anything, so when you sell poo poo to him, his stash builds up quick.

Megazver posted:

That guy is pretty rich on my coin too. Early on in alchemy I had a daft scam running with him and his security where I'd jiggle the lock on the shop from the alchemy bench room out back until they heard me and opened the door to look. By then I'd run around the front of the shop and nabbed stuff. I love how open ended messing with NPCs is, a lot more fun than basket on head. I got round to the haunted butcher shop and forgot poppies were part of it. Sadly the game wouldn't let me go outside during the ritual to pick some so, at a loss I improvised and punched the old woman in the face like a crazy faith healer. She called the catchpole and I told him it was all part of a secret mission from the crown. He apologized and I walked outside with him, she took one look at me and ran down the street in terror. So I stole as many sausages from her market stall as I could carry and now I'm on the lam.

I haven't got any of the expansions yet, but feel I'm going to have to once I'm done. I take it they're finished making DLC?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mu Zeta posted:

The dlc is kinda fun. I bought it just cause I was enjoying the base game.

You get the tourny - a good place to level up weapons your not using and you don't damage your gear.
Band of bastards - you join a group and ride around the country solving a bandit problem. This was a nice little story.
From ashes - you build a town.
Womans lot - you play as the females of the story and you get a dog and a houndmaster skill line. The dog is ok, it can attack bad guys and hunt for you. Might be annoying for some but is ok. I haven't played the story part yet.
Capon the bold - is a story quest with a noble to get him a wife. I haven't done this one yet.

The game is alot of fun, in my opinion. Its kinda different from a skyrim. The battles in it are alot better than skyrim when they make it so you can't shoot your teammates in the head.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 11, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Megazver posted:

The alchemist was my main vendor as well. I don't know if anyone else has tested this, but I'm pretty sure traders will sell off any item that is not part of their own default stock. So in the alchemist's case you want to sell him everything except alchemical items, because those will just sit in his inventory forever without increasing his available cash.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I love the roadside ambushes the game spawns in the game. It really makes the world feel alive.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I do wish they that when its bandits vs cumans they'd not gang up on the player quite as much. I had one fight that should have been a 1v2v2 turn into a 1v4 because the enemies decided to exclusively fight me.

Am I right in thinking that if you're heavily geared up the weaker bandits will start running for the hills? I rolled into a bandit camp and saw 5 guys, 4 of which ran off screaming with only the camp boss fighting me.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Carcer posted:

I do wish they that when its bandits vs cumans they'd not gang up on the player quite as much. I had one fight that should have been a 1v2v2 turn into a 1v4 because the enemies decided to exclusively fight me.

Am I right in thinking that if you're heavily geared up the weaker bandits will start running for the hills? I rolled into a bandit camp and saw 5 guys, 4 of which ran off screaming with only the camp boss fighting me.

Yeah, there are even perks that make it more likely for them to run.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Carcer posted:

It seems to work very like the dialog system. I'm pretty sure there's reputation buffs and at intimidation works too. I've started wearing town clothes and suiting up for combat seperately now I have a bit of coin. When I've managed to straight off masterstrike someone in a gang of bandits he and everyone else just poo poo themselves. Running around covered in blood helps too. If you keep fancy pants clothes on your horse and a bloody axe murderer costume, you can totally have your own Bruce Wayne/Batman shtick. I haven't tried it, but I've a feeling that if you just run around in rags bandits should ignore you, they definitely choose their battles, looking for rich weak dandies rather than walking murder machines. Even at that, if a rich weak dandy flat out kills their head guy like its nothing they seem to quickly rethink the situation. So yeah, probably a dozen different factors at play that more or less mimics common sense of how/how not to look like a tourist.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is there anything that you can do to make gang fights less miserable, short of cheesing it on horse or something?

I like the combat system when its 1 v 1 but as soon as another enemy joins the fight it's impossible unless they're both total crap.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Carcer posted:

Is there anything that you can do to make gang fights less miserable, short of cheesing it on horse or something?

I like the combat system when its 1 v 1 but as soon as another enemy joins the fight it's impossible unless they're both total crap.

Arrows to the face, strafing while clonking them with a mace, running away. That's for decent armored opponents. You can take on unarmed rabble easily.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
when fighting multiple armoured guys one will face me and the others will just sprint to my sides so I can't keep track of or defend against them.

Side strafing some of them out strafe me somehow and I end up surrounded.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the easiest way to make money stealing is to steal every single item you can thats worth anything and sell it to peshek. wait a week or whatever it takes and then break into his shed and box and just take all the money he has. since you're probably spending a fair amount of time near him for your back and forth its less annoying than the alchemist, and theres no guards or anyone to catch you

Carcer posted:

high strength + clinch master lets you kinda shove and bash one dude over and over and they seem less likely to attack you when you're going through this though once you get to three dudes its not great

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 11, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Carcer posted:

Back up and strafe away continuously, abuse ripostes to victory. If you can put a hillside or fence or something on one side of you that'll help a lot. But they are generally kinda miserable, do your best to avoid fights worse than 3-on-1.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Carcer posted:

That's the huge problem with locking on for me, you can't outflank enemies into an orderly queue because your movement gets sucked into being relative to one attacker. I generally go for the toughest guy and try to knock him on his rear end there and then to send the fear of god into the gang. Also, I don't think running through a camp on horseback is cheesing it too much unless you're doing it 5 times for a 5 strong gang, your horse is your only companion most of the time. At bandit/cuman camps you can wait till the early hours, take nighthawk, poison your weapons, poison their wine, things like that. I really enjoy planning an attack all day and getting potions and the right gear, scouting etc, but you better believe I'm saving scumming before I commit to an attack. Your common or garden peasant type bandits can be taken on in threes and fours easily because they're absolute squishy cowards.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can avoid all the bandit camp fights by just going in at midnight and murdering them one at a time while they sleep. The lock on combat is just that lock on combat. It's always kinda meh in every game that uses it. If this game didn't use it then we wouldn't have a bunch of cool stances and different swings.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Verviticus posted:

the easiest way to make money stealing is to steal every single item you can thats worth anything and sell it to peshek. wait a week or whatever it takes and then break into his shed and box and just take all the money he has. since you're probably spending a fair amount of time near him for your back and forth its less annoying than the alchemist, and theres no guards or anyone to catch you

Peshek only buys a 1000 gold at a time. Just keep the stolen poo poo in your chest until the stolen tag goes away and fence it all to the alchemist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

You can avoid all the bandit camp fights by just going in at midnight and murdering them one at a time while they sleep

I've actually noticed this to be super unreliable; I tried to do it a few times just to boost up my stealth skill level, only to find the whole camp awake and standing around at 1AM.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I've actually noticed this to be super unreliable; I tried to do it a few times just to boost up my stealth skill level, only to find the whole camp awake and standing around at 1AM.

Padfoot potions while you are pretty much naked helps until you get naturally high stealth and perks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah this was me trying to break from like Stealth 8 or so up to ~18. Just gotta find a bunch of people to choke/stealth kill; road side ambushes are actually amazing for this.

I guess I could just choke out random villagers and wayfarers and such, but I was being a lawful try hard Henry.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Videogames have taught us that we should be able to take on 30+ dudes simultaneously, but this game does not respect that at all. Even at OP-levels, anything past 3-v-1 because difficult, bordering on impossible, because it's too easy to flank you and hit your undefended sides.

If its 2-v-1, try to keep the guy you're fighting between you and the other opponent. This takes a lot of maneuvering, and can be extra difficult if both enemies are using melee, but it can work. Sword and shield combo works best for taking on groups, imo, since you get the extra blocking power and much easier perfect block/riposte. Usually, if it's 2- or 3-v-1, one attacker will melee with the other switching to ranged weapons, this is ideal, as you can position the guy you're actually fighting to soak up those arrows. This requires a lot of strafing, however, as they range-shooters will try to avoid hitting their friend...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I also find mace ripostes do insane amounts of damage to people, way more than ones done with a sword. If there's a group fight I immediately swap to mace/shield.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

Peshek only buys a 1000 gold at a time. Just keep the stolen poo poo in your chest until the stolen tag goes away and fence it all to the alchemist.

just give it to him. the whole point is that he'll convert the entire stack into money

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

They do have guards at night you gotta dispatch first. They walk around and eat and then stand in complete darkness.

This is pretty much what the guards do all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

They do have guards at night you gotta dispatch first. They walk around and eat and then stand in complete darkness.

This is pretty much what the guards do all night.

I don't want full on assassins creed, but having a few distractions up your sleeve other than kiting AI would be really nice. I have noticed though, that their cone of vision is genuinely on their head. If their head is pointed away even for a second they cannot see you, which includes simple movements like picking things up, eating, downing a beer. Maybe now that my bow skill is beyond scooby doo levels of trembling I can properly dispatch them. Up till now, my attempts at being a silent murder machine has just been confused guards thinking "who keeps missing me with arrows over and over? Is he loving with me or cock eyed?" I pretty much cheesed the bow to 5 by decimating local livestock and red deer so point blank executions of stationary bunnies is no longer impossible.

I didn't even think of the non fatal option for the thread title's quest until the priest and herbalist shamed the hell out of me. In the confusion they genuinely did seem intimidating as hell, though went down very easily. Fast travel took me riding back through Ledetchko - home of events that went south a game week earlier I had forgotten about - only to have the town stop me with guards and locals punching the back of my head and jeering as I passed through. When I managed to pitifully get to the edge of town and they stood there watched me go and shouted "Yea! gently caress off, you poo poo!" and I completely lost it. I loving love this game. Of course I just finished the priest bit on the main quest line which means fun times. I'm sure there's some way to game my reputation back up, but I really want to do the whole thing while known pretty much the dodgiest bastard around who steals your poo poo, performs quack exorcisms and punches old ladies. I'll be bummed out if the quest line people are all happy and nice to me like they don't know what a tosser Henry is.

wit fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 12, 2019