Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I've been playing a few hours and i'm running into some trouble.
I heard that this game has a lot of time sensitive quests and a article from way back when saying that the main quest goes on without you for instance. Is this actually a thing? I've been following the main quest pretty strictly cause it all felt kinda urgent, but i'm at the point where i just found limpin lugosh's (sp) body, my gear is in tatters, my weapon is a loving wooden club, i really need to learn how to read and at the very least spend like 3 days practicing with the weaponmaster dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dongattack posted:

I've been playing a few hours and i'm running into some trouble.
I heard that this game has a lot of time sensitive quests and a article from way back when saying that the main quest goes on without you for instance. Is this actually a thing? I've been following the main quest pretty strictly cause it all felt kinda urgent, but i'm at the point where i just found limpin lugosh's (sp) body, my gear is in tatters, my weapon is a loving wooden club, i really need to learn how to read and at the very least spend like 3 days practicing with the weaponmaster dude.

You can take a break and gently caress off from the main quest for a while. Chasing the horse thieves is time-sensitive, but if you've killed them and found Ginger, you're good to go. Here's my post from when this question was asked before:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Pretty sure you can safely spend an in-game day or two training with captain whatshisname outside Rattay, near the inn. That practice should level you up pretty easily.

I think the questline with the bandits that attack the horsefarm ("on the scent"?) is the last super time-sensitive thing until after the big battle. If you get through that, you can stretch your legs: chill out, learn to read, get drunk with the priest, etc.

Here is a list of the time-sensitive quest titles I've found:
  • money for old rope
  • in god's hands
  • pestilence
  • on the scent
  • miracles while you wait
  • rob from the rich (patched, no longer time sensitive)
  • house of god
  • sport for kings
  • is a friend indeed
  • at your service my lady

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I didnt kill them, but lied and said i did to Ginger cause i had super had it at that point with all the Geralt of Riviaing they wanted me to do when im a barely clothed idiot with a wooden stick. Is that gonna super matter at all in the long run? Should i be rushing?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dongattack posted:

I didnt kill them, but lied and said i did to Ginger cause i had super had it at that point with all the Geralt of Riviaing they wanted me to do when im a barely clothed idiot with a wooden stick. Is that gonna super matter at all in the long run? Should i be rushing?

you don't have to fight anyone at all before finding Ginger. If you report back to Bernard like he tells you to, his men at arms will take care of them for you

Also you don't have to rush really. You can take the time to run back to Rattay and get your gear repaired without it making a difference. Just don't take days to gently caress off and do side quests until you finish up On the Scent, which is the quest after your next one.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 13, 2019

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

PittTheElder posted:

you don't have to fight anyone at all before finding Ginger. If you report back to Bernard like he tells you to, his men at arms will take care of them for you

Also you don't have to rush really. You can take the time to run back to Rattay and get your gear repaired without it making a difference. Just don't take days to gently caress off and do side quests until you finish up On the Scent, which is the quest after your next one.

Ah i see, i got the feel the game was more "head to questmarkery" than that and that i had to do it myself, i'll try to think more outside the box, cheers.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
The ending was the worst since mario 2 for me. Excellent game but don't do that stuff, please. Its the opposite of clever writing and I get that it was a game of intrigue you're not privy to instead of a fairytale, but that was just a bit of an insult. Can't wait for the thrilling conclusion in KCD:10 when my nemesis has died and has bequeathed it to his nephew who won't give it back so I write scathing reviews on ratemynoble.com

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait you mean the bit with Jobst? I don't think it's supposed to be a stunning reveal, it's just him trying to sell the narrative for the potential sequel.

Pretty sure all of that is in the Codex entries too.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Wait you mean the bit with Jobst? I don't think it's supposed to be a stunning reveal, it's just him trying to sell the narrative for the potential sequel.

Pretty sure all of that is in the Codex entries too.

I must have got a completely different ending to you, in mine it was "let them go" "ok" "let's chase after them" "ok" "well, they got away" "ok". *dad dream where he says nah, that's all bullshit* Here is where the story really kicks off....long horseback chats with capon, END epilogue. If that's not the bog standard ending then I must have missed something, youtubing around says it is. Its a guy shouting out a window "let me go no killsies" "ok....dick".

If you're to have something like that it has to be episodic content released every few months not just "hey folks, tune in if we get to make this in 3 years." I checked their roadmap and this is where they're leaving it it seems. If it had have been like a -dare i say it- telltale game installed every few months (and actually complete an arc) then fine. I really wouldn't have cared if the game wasn't so drat good about being really earnest about what is happening and excellent in the plot you can hear and infer. Maybe I'm just being an entitled git and they have it around the corner, but it really, really feels like they just left the game at an anticlimax until the next one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah no that's just the ending. It's not conclusive I guess, but history tends not to be I guess?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i just finished this game and honestly, the ending seemed fine. nothing specifically stupid, just maybe a little dull, but whatever

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's fine. Henry's come to terms with what's happened in the story and is content with where he is at. Regardless of whether there's ever a next game, as a character he is ready to move on to the next chapter of his life.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Finally beat the game and I thought the ending was pretty good. I guess I didn't need to kill the big bad guy or get back my mcguffin. I still have 2 of the DLC to do also. All the quests in the blitz to the end were really good but I can see how they kinda lock you into what your doing for quite awhile. My only gripe with the game is how the cutscenes animate.

Like halfway through the game I was tired of looking at Tinman Henry so I stopped using helms and other head armors. Also the reason how they be removed in cutscenes really bothered me but even without using any headgear it would still delete my neckpiece to make it look like this.

I didn't learn until near the end of the game that you can master strike anyone doing attacks on you also. Even the guys your not targeting. It turned any fight were I was outnumbered to easy mode. Masterstriking also felt like it was the only way to attack in the game because how much the AIs masterstrike you. I think I only did a combo once for the entire time I played the game.

The game was also so long that I'm like a month+ behind playing the humble bundle monthly games but I did spend alot of time playing Surviving Mars that came out the same month.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 4, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the ai probably shouldn't be able to masterstrike if you're in the middle of a combo, to be honest. at the end, combat was sniping people with a bow and 1v1 combat was clinching and headshotting people

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I find that in 1v1 fights it's usually pretty reliable to get combos off on people. Even just chain striking them with the right timing seems to prevent them from masterstriking at all at top skill levels. It was always hilarious in the tourney when you get a clean attack off and then you can just chain it for 7 hits till they give up.

But yeah multi-person fights are all about abusing master strikes. Mace ripostes in particular just murder everybody, so I would always keep a mace and shield in my inventory just in case a fight pulled in loads of people.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I mostly just masterstruck my way though the game, while doing the occasional blunt strike combo with my ceremonial mace.

Is there a point to knowing different types of combos? I always just found that having one basic combo in my brain meats was fine, but more always seemed kind of unnecessary.

Also headcracker is the best.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I had to resort to doing the neck slicing combo on the German knight who is also investigating the ambush on the carts because my sword didnt do any damage because of his armour.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The trick to people who have alot of armor is just do more master strikes because they do more damage the more you hit them.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I found maces to the head quickly solved all of my armor issues. If I were starting again, I would pick up a mace immediately and not look back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I found that that works really well for the early and middle game, but that longsword actually seemed to pull ahead by the end. You're just so fast and far-reaching compared to maces (though mace-shield is still clutch for 1vMany fights).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You usually need to carry both, to pull out depending on the foes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My highest weapon skill was the bow. If your not getting surrounded and beat down its just so much stronger. If there's only one person beating on you, you can still kill them with the bow. Its just when there's lots they own your stamina.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Finished woman's lot and the capon adventure. You sure get alot of game for the money with this one but its so much to do I'm pretty petered out by it all and just happy to be finished.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So far I wish that the Capon expansion had more bro-ing out with Hans and less creepy flim-flam guy, but it's alright so far.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
Is there anything I should try to do in the tutorial area to make the game a little easier because I am terrible at video games. I don't want to cheese too much but extra money or slightly better skills sounds nice.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Picking herbs in the tutorial area lets you raise your herbalism and strength.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kukash posted:

Is there anything I should try to do in the tutorial area to make the game a little easier because I am terrible at video games. I don't want to cheese too much but extra money or slightly better skills sounds nice.

You can grind herbalism hard, it gives a good buff. Also you can choke out all the lone guards and shove their stuff that you won't just immediately put on yourself into the one chest in your house that doesn't reset when the village burns.

As for afterwards, biggest tip would be to immediately take advantage of training with the training guy once you get to Rattay until you level all your combat skills up to a reasonable level.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kukash posted:

Also when you get out to the far side of the tutorial zone, remember that you're a peasant and nobody expects you to start taking down armed opponents. Don't be afraid to ask for backup.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Most things in the game are greatly unleveled in weapon skill, I wouldn't be too worried about it. They more win fights on you by the numbers and not super swell muscle men.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Most people miss that going back and going "uh dude, mind giving me a hand" is an option, so it definitely should be pointed out :v:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Also when you get out to the far side of the tutorial zone, remember that you're a peasant and nobody expects you to start taking down armed opponents. Don't be afraid to ask for backup.

What is the "tutorial zone"? I kinda figured it was Skalitz, but I don't remember anything where asking for help seemed remotely like an option. I'm at "The Hunt Begins", is that before or after this point?

The unleveled combat is really neat in this game. It's really cool that early on the game gives you some tempting "Go ahead, try to fight your way through this" moments to remind you you are a peasant who cannot fight trained, well equipped soldiers.

The only thing I'm disliking is that I have yet to feel like I can truly explore an area. The quests feel "go go go" to get started with.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

wilderthanmild posted:

What is the "tutorial zone"? I kinda figured it was Skalitz, but I don't remember anything where asking for help seemed remotely like an option. I'm at "The Hunt Begins", is that before or after this point?

The unleveled combat is really neat in this game. It's really cool that early on the game gives you some tempting "Go ahead, try to fight your way through this" moments to remind you you are a peasant who cannot fight trained, well equipped soldiers.

The only thing I'm disliking is that I have yet to feel like I can truly explore an area. The quests feel "go go go" to get started with.

Opening village of Silver Skalitz before the castle is razed is the tutorial, yes.

You have some time to stretch your legs after you get to Rattay, and you can really start to take your time and bang out side quests after you find Ginger (The Hunt Begins is the start of this quest chain). Pro-tip for Neuhof: every time Bernard gives you a new task, if you check in during the investigations he will usually send a couple of guards to make the fights easier.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Tenzarin posted:

You can avoid all the bandit camp fights by just going in at midnight and murdering them one at a time while they sleep. The lock on combat is just that lock on combat. It's always kinda meh in every game that uses it. If this game didn't use it then we wouldn't have a bunch of cool stances and different swings.

I've had a ton of trouble just getting the prompts. Like 70% of the time they're too far in the stupid tent or whatever and I can't. It's dumb.

Also anyone have experience modding the windows store version?

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

i started playing this last week -- plz help me git gud in combat. any tips? the AI seems to have near perfect blocking mechanics

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
1. Once you get to Rattay and get the option of training with Captain Bernard, do it as often as possible. This will level up your stats, unlock perks, teach you new techniques, and give you practice with the combat system.
2. Use a mace(or club or hammer) if possible, it seems to be more forgiving and can easily be combined with a shield. If you follow the other tip do know that Bernard can actually kill you with the practice mace.
3. Avoid fighting against multiple opponents, especially early on. It's really not meant to be winnable in those situations and often if you do win it will be once you're much stronger and better equipped.
4. Look for alternatives to fighting head on. It seems like there are ways around most fights in quests. Whether it's through, diplomacy, creativity, or sneaky action.

I'm still sorta new at this myself, but following these tips helped a lot. Also expect to die sometimes regardless, it's not meant to be an easy game.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Play the main quest until you get a free horse and then use a bow and arrow at range. If enemies close the gap, gallop away. Rinse and repeat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It depends who you're fighting too; the bandits around Skalitz are far more dangerous than the ones around Rattay or random Cumans. Enemy skill correlates pretty well with armor level, so if you see a dude rolling in a bunch of plate watch yourself.

The Tournament is really good for combat training if you have that DLC; you won't ever die, your gear doesn't matter, and you're in a controlled 1v1 fight which allows you to practice the timing of everything.

Train with Bernard all the time. Once you get up to master strike level with some weapon, go off and start doing the bandit camp quests.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 28, 2019

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
does bernard go back to the ring after you find ginger? or am i just stuck without him now

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 29, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tabletops posted:

does bernard go back to the ring after you find ginger? or am i just stuck without him now

He goes back. I think you can actually ask to train with him at Neuhof and he just warps you back to Rattay.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I doubly recommend using the Tournament DLC as the best way to raise your weapon skill. Go in get as far as you can and you will usually get a bunch of skills leveled up. You don't even need very high skills to beat the game. Bow was my highest at 16 and all the other weapons were around 10-13 each.

Bernard will gently caress up your armor and make you repair it. If you fight Bernard and don't use armor, he will gently caress you up! Fighting with wooden weapons gives you far less exp than regular weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Tenzarin posted:

I doubly recommend using the Tournament DLC as the best way to raise your weapon skill. Go in get as far as you can and you will usually get a bunch of skills leveled up. You don't even need very high skills to beat the game. Bow was my highest at 16 and all the other weapons were around 10-13 each.

Bernard will gently caress up your armor and make you repair it. If you fight Bernard and don't use armor, he will gently caress you up! Fighting with wooden weapons gives you far less exp than regular weapons.

oh huh ok good to know i haven't trained with ihm without training weapons yet

i'm also basically just always wearing fashion stuff cause it looks good. i think? it has protection but it's not like mail or anything.

also should i avoid getting radical armor and poo poo at that point in the game? I stumbled on a sad scared knight man in shiny armor and he challenged me to a duel. i convinced him to just go do something else to prove his worth and he said ok

but then he turned around and was muttering about challenging someone else instead and that i was a clod or something so i dueled him and accidentally killed him

anyway now i have his shiny armor and stuff and i don't want to make the game too easy what do

edit and i found some nice weapons in some graves that seem crazy good. i don't have a good hammer though, just uhh the bashing stick you get near the beginning of the game