Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Has anybody tried the save mod (Well, edit)? And if so, is it working okay / not breaking the game in half?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

There's a nourishment stat?

Yep, it's displayed at the bottom of the middle column in the Codex.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

iGestalt posted:

Has anybody tried the save mod (Well, edit)? And if so, is it working okay / not breaking the game in half?

I've only saved manually once so far. Don't you save when you sleep and fast travel?

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

iGestalt posted:

I saved and loaded a few times since doing it and it seems to be working fine. You need a potion in your inventory to be able to save with the mod so I'm not sure how it'd break anything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Drinking to save is dumb but stopping save scumming somewhat is okay.

Pretty into it so far. Combat is pretty Simon Says as expected but there are enough things (perfect parries, combos, etc) to make it not too boring. Story is neat, world feels lively. Only complaint is that finding quest objectives is a huge pain unless they are marked pretty close on the map.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Drinking to save is dumb but stopping save scumming somewhat is okay.

What's wrong with save scumming if that's how some people want to play

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

What's wrong with save scumming if that's how some people want to play

This might just be me but when I have the ability to save scum I feel like I have the obligation to do it. Playing normally feels like a self imposed challenge. Making your actions count for something by removing that ability except when you really want it is a benefit imo.

It's like scumming in XCOM. Yeah, you can do it, but you are kind of just ruining it for yourself.

That said, lock picking needs to be waaaay easier

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2018

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

welp I accidentally stole something and died in jail so I'll try that way instead this time

man gently caress this, I got my boys to help beat up Kunesh and now he's just running around the village in circles at lightning speed and I can't catch him

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
This game is giving off an Oblivion vibe so far, but in a good way.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
Wondering if I should buy this for my pc or ps4 pro. Got a GTX970 and i5 I5-4460 (3.2ghz) along with 16gb ram and an SSD. Good enough specs for pc?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Someone else with a GTX 970 was having trouble, but he was playing at 2560x1600. If you're on 1080p you'll probably be fine at medium settings.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a 7950 and I run it on high at 40-50 fps

Dialogue lowers my fps to 30

And rain lowered my fps to 15

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why did they make an individual pickup animation for every single item

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh the one hand I'm a bit disappointed that the game isn't unambiguously great, on the other the reaction it's been getting is precisely what I expected.

Gonna wait for a 50% sale.

e: I'm glad a kickstarted indy game doing a weird gritty realistic slant on Skyrim went right to Steam top sellers. The cash also makes it less likely it'll get abandoned.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 13, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It does seem to conform to expectations both in the positive and the negative sense. It's definitely staying on my wish list.

How do you raise Speech in this game, do you just talk to people? Can I talk to the same peasant wench over and over to grind my Speech?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This game is giving off an Oblivion vibe so far, but in a good way.

The UI looks extremely Oblivionesque to me

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

It does seem to conform to expectations both in the positive and the negative sense. It's definitely staying on my wish list.

How do you raise Speech in this game, do you just talk to people? Can I talk to the same peasant wench over and over to grind my Speech?

I believe you have to do actual speech checks to get XP, so you gain it naturally by doing quests

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh poo poo. Sorry Theresa. I didn't realize that was an option :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Same. I stopped to consider it and caught two arrows so I turned tail and ran

mem
Sep 1, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You monster!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I punched the dude in the back, couldn't get my sword out, and ran like a bitch. Still got credit for being a hero.

So far I've played for an hour or so. I'm enjoying it. I have to be on 1080p with the lowest possible settings but it's a good game. I'm glad I backed it.

Was there supposed to be a preorder bonus?

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Was there supposed to be a preorder bonus?

A treasure map for some armor I believe, but I haven't come across it yet or don't know how to activate it. It's a dlc called "treasures of the past."

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mem posted:

You monster!

I guess being a good guy is a henry thing to do. I'm not henry. I'm Hal :clint:

Hal also doesn't pay for food.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I guess being a good guy is a henry thing to do. I'm not henry. I'm Hal :clint:

Hal also doesn't pay for food.

Same, though I sucker punched one of those jerks and gave her time to run before stealing one of their horses. First thing I did in the next village was take all the free food they offered, swapped it for a lockpick with the local trader, and stole everything I could out of easy locked chests. Hal now has a full set of (padded) armor and a bow :clint:

Game is pretty fun on the PS4, runs just fine on a Pro, with no bugs (knock on wood) outside of clipping jank.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This game really does seem like realistic Oblivion, right down to having the same glitches with NPCs teleporting and spouting inane crap.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Internet Kraken posted:

This game really does seem like realistic Oblivion, right down to having the same glitches with NPCs teleporting and spouting inane crap.

Ohhh gently caress yes

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like t so far but that first chase sequence is amazingly frustrating. Also hate that I can’t save when I want.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Played this at a friends house and was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it

Will still wait for sales + save anywhere/quick save mods

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How do you skin animals for fur or pelts or whatever? I missed the popup and its not in the codex.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sheep posted:

How do you skin animals for fur or pelts or whatever? I missed the popup and its not in the codex.

You need a perk for it, under hunting

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You need a perk for it, under hunting

Does this game have any kind of scaling to level or is there absolutely no downside to making my dude hop all night long with a drinking bird to build stamina

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My character doesn’t jump period is that in purpose in the early game?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Brosephine posted:

My character doesn’t jump period is that in purpose in the early game?

I was jumping on chickens and other livestock since minute 1

Somethings up w your game

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does this game have any kind of scaling to level or is there absolutely no downside to making my dude hop all night long with a drinking bird to build stamina

I believe bad things happen if don't eat or sleep long enough.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hm okay. The controls keep swapping between pc and Xbox also wonder what’s up.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

I was wondering why I went over the weight limit after grabbing what I thought was a single thing... That's a lot of meat from one animal

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

How's the performance of this on the base PS4?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know it's a pretty good game when it has this much to say about medieval crappers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PSA: you can't save your game by sleeping in any bed, it has to be YOUR bed or one you buy at an inn. In the mill where you have your first bed there are two in the room, make sure you use "your" bed.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can, but there isn't much reason to do so. You are going to be running all over the map so gaming the system isn't really worth it.

That said, it's worth save scumming lock picking when you get to the practice area next to your bed because the minigame is very hard to get a hang of and lockpicks are expensive as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
About 10 hours in... this game is good in ways I love, and buggy bad in ways I'm learning to avoid. The potion/save system is awful however.