Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol, i think vara has shithead politics but people like andrew helped push there by bitching and screaming at him endlessly until he went right out of spite. gently caress em both, but my copy shiped so gently caress yeah, i have heard good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't fully understand what this means but I'm not sure if a patch this extensive bodes well for the final product.

Thanks to stupid coding practices the game's all in a few, enormous compressed files so even a tiny patch will be like, 10-20gb.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Found the racists lmao

Imagine getting upset over a reader-written letter to an obscure paper

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Revisiting that metro article, I saw this

quote:

This interview with Kotaku in July 2015 laid his beliefs bare. In fact, one of the reasons he developed the game was because he believed it was ‘historically accurate’ to not have any non-white characters anywhere, which is provably false given that medieval life was a melting pot of different races. The Journal of Medieval and Early Modern Studies published a paper on it, on how pointless it was to compare modern concepts of race to medieval notions of ethnicity.

I thought that sounds incredible, and so went to go read the article he's referring to, and I can't access it in full, but I can read the first page and I'm unsure if it is saying what he thinks it is saying -- it's saying that skin color wouldn't really factor into racial identity like it does for us in the modern day, apparently? I would like to read this article because I'd be curious -- Ancient Rome, after all, had a whole lot of different races of people passing through it, particularly in the Imperial days, but I'd always thought Europe was relatively closed off after the fall of Rome and after Charlemagne. I find it sort of hard to believe that medieval Europe would be a "melting pot" of any description, but I wanna know more.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 12, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Revisiting that metro article, I saw this

I thought that sounds incredible, and so went to go read the article he's referring to, and I can't access it in full, but I can read the first page and I'm unsure if it is saying what he thinks it is saying. I would like to read this article because I'd be curious -- Ancient Rome, after all, had a whole lot of different races of people passing through it, particularly in the Imperial days, but I'd always thought Europe was relatively closed off after the fall of Rome and after Charlemagne. I find it sort of hard to believe that medieval Europe would be a "melting pot" of any description, but I wanna know more.

We literally had a guy explain this 3 pages ago but I guess the historical facts don't match up w your feelings

What is it about this game that brings out the chuds

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I find it sort of hard to believe that medieval Europe would be a "melting pot" of any description, but I wanna know more.

people in this thread have already pointed out that that was the case in the region this game is supposed to take place at the time its supposed to take place. "Realism".

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

We literally had a guy explain this 3 pages ago but I guess the historical facts don't match up w your feelings

What is it about this game that brings out the chuds

My feelings? I skipped ahead after a couple pages.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I really hate the current usage of CHUD because I feel the people using it have never actually seen the movie.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Doorknob Slobber posted:

people in this thread have already pointed out that that was the case in the region this game is supposed to take place at the time its supposed to take place. "Realism".

If that's true, then the developer's claim of historicity seems patently absurd. I'd be curious as to which historians he consulted with.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

I really hate the current usage of CHUD because I feel the people using it have never actually seen the movie.

That's true the comparison is unfair to C.H.U.D.s

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

heres straight up 2 hours with no commentary gameplay of the PS4 version of this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eu8O841-Mo

looks pretty garbage tbh

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If that's true, then the developer's claim of historicity seems patently absurd. I'd be curious as to which historians he consulted with.

It seems like the historian he consulted with most was himself

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/2/16964080/kingdom-come-deliverance-history-rpg-ps4-xbox-pc

According to this article they have a historian on staff.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the fun gameplay looks like when your character is slowly sliding across the map to go anywhere thats some serious historical realism

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the fistfighting here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eu8O841-Mo&t=2402s

looks so loving lame and bad. love 2 play bad game oblivion

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

frajaq posted:

heres straight up 2 hours with no commentary gameplay of the PS4 version of this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eu8O841-Mo

looks pretty garbage tbh

What is with this world map, it's just watching a thing move for a long rear end time. The combat is also not looking amazing. Very clinky. Best I can say is that the character animations are good in fights, it's neat to see the (presumably) accurate sword fighting stances.

I had gotten the impression that more than one historian had been consulted, though I suppose she could have done that.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 12, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What is with this world map, it's just watching a thing move for a long rear end time. The combat is also not looking amazing. Very clinky. Best I can say is that the character animations are good in fights, it's neat to see the (presumably) accurate sword fighting stances.

I had gotten the impression that more than one historian had been consulted, though I suppose she could have done that.

apperently, your supposed to use blunt weapons(maces and poo poo) against armored opponents and blades against unarmored. the devs talked about it a bunch in the various videos. you can't really just use a sword in every situation.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 12, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're thinking of skeletons.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm the guy trying to block a loving sword with my arms and succeeding, repeatedly, until the guy punches me in the face and knocks me out.

That does not bode well for my $32.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think this game is a hard pass, that world map screen alone just irritates the gently caress out of me.

To be honest, if the game isn't even able to be historically accurate to its setting, then it's basically got nothing going for it. I get really wary whenever some sort of media gets politicized before its release, it seems immediately manipulative and I hate that intrinsically. I would be prepared to accept the idea that Eastern Europe didn't have many dark-skinned people at the time if that's truly what the prevailing historical opinion was, but it doesn't even sound like that is the case. I don't really have the means to investigate the idea either way, and the game doesn't look good enough for me to care.

I don't think period-accurate video game poo poo is ever going to work, I think Assassins Creed definitely had a better idea with basically just letting you be ancient history murder Batman so you could freely explore the game's setting. The fact is, you could do a story about being a far less capable or insignificant character, but I don't think it could be a grand, sweeping historical epic. Like, if you wanted to make a game about being the chambermaid for the royal castle, cleaning up after people and trying not to get beheaded for offending the queen's niece and picking up royal intrigue and gossip and trading it for political favors, getting characters inadvertently (or quite purposefully) killed by others, possibly even being able to barter the right information to the right person to see the monarch himself assassinated. You could easily make it work to explore the historical aspect, even if you could have very a-historical outcomes. You could have nobles discussing various intellectual trends of the time, serving girls to represent a lower class, probably a few actual historical figures to show up and color the plot, and so on.

How much did this guy's Kickstarter raise?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
This game looks like an oblivion mod lmao

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
to no ones surprise the installer actually installs oblivion first

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm the guy trying to block a loving sword with my arms and succeeding, repeatedly, until the guy punches me in the face and knocks me out.

That does not bode well for my $32.

Where did that happen?
Because that's awesome.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

gasman posted:

Where did that happen?
Because that's awesome.

Like 6 minutes into that video

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Tardcore posted:

Like 6 minutes into that video

I take that back, I thought he at least wore armour.

I hope it was just the player being poo poo.

gasman fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 12, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

gasman posted:

Nope. It turns out a simple peasant armored only with cloth can somehow cross his arms and block an overhead swing from a sword and not only fail to die but also act as if nothing happened.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nope. It turns out a simple peasant armored only with cloth can somehow cross his arms and block an overhead swing from a sword and not only fail to die but also act as if nothing happened.

This is gonna be just like a Bethseda game, the community is gonna have to mod it into working right.

Glad I skipped the KS.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gasman posted:

I hope it was just the player being poo poo.

a peasant crosses his arms and it makes his sword fuckin bounce off with a chk sound like he hit a rock. must have run into middle ages wonder woman

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Going further into the videos, this kind of melee combat in first person just does not seem the least bit fun. Unless someone can mod a workable third person perspective, this game looks like it's gonna be tedious as all hell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i'm the chest opening sound when you loot a corpse

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

i'm the chest opening sound when you loot a corpse

I heard this game has alchemy so I'm excited to see if health potions are more realistic than brown people

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

actually i'm this terrified floating horse

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

a peasant crosses his arms and it makes his sword fuckin bounce off with a chk sound like he hit a rock. must have run into middle ages wonder woman

I thought "okay the system has layered clothing maybe he had greaves on or something underneath his tunic" but nope, looting the dude you can tell he's got nothing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Wait what the hell, that video gameplay does not seem at all what the devs have made it sounds like. I fully expected you to just slash the dude once and he eats dirt. Welp, what the gently caress devs, way to hype it.
59 dollars for a lovely oblivion mod. I don't mean to be all against the game and all, but honestly from the previews and hype this is not what I gathered for the combat. I thought I can skullcrash a peasant with a mace or slash a dude with a sword.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 12, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol game looks jank as hell

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Weapons seem to do like nothing to a person. It's like bloodless. I wanna bash a fuckers skull in w a mace but every hit is just *click*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i cant believe two worlds 3 came out so fast

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"Small archery tournament where the other 2 competetors disappeared when you looked away then back, then youre branded a thief for going and grabbing the arrows from the targets"

LOL

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm excited to learn how to read in this videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
if someone wants to get rid of their KS key for $30 because this game look a hot garbage fire send me a pm