Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does the main quest clearly sign post when I can chill out and start exploring? I know that, technically, I can start tramping the countryside that as soon as I'm Rattay, but previous experience tells me that, mechanically, thematically, and narratively, I shouldn't, so when should I?

I'm attempting to play through the game for the second time; the last time I stopped it was because of a problem I was having balancing side quests and main quests. The last time I played, I started exploring the game world as soon as I was at the Rattay mill, and when I eventually returned to the main quest I realized I'd made a major mistake in putting it off because:

- The game had hidden several vital combat mechanics behind more tutorials

- All of the quests / cut scenes sort of had an implication that the events at Skalitz had just happened

- I was given some basic equipment that would have been very welcome at the start of the game but was now far worse than what I'd found

- In my playthrough Henry was being made a squire after I'd just spent a few weeks poaching game, stealing, and spending time in the jail. The narrative writing me into aspirations of nobility is fine, I just wish I'd known so I could have leaned into it a bit more.

"Ludonarrative Dissonance" might be a fancy term for it, but it was jarring and I ended up putting the game down because of it.

Anyways, I'm currently reading Pillars of the Earth and it's rekindled my desire to play King Come. Since I'm now aware how the main quest is immediately after the intro I'm running straight through the it and enjoying things a lot more - it fits thematically, the extended tutorial feel right, and the equipment I'm gaining matters.

My question is: when should I go out and explore? Is there going to be a clearly marked "you've hit the main game, go nuts" moment? Currently I'm just training in the practice field and waiting to meet up with Nightinggale, the town guard, and while I know I've played through this far before, I can't remember quite how far I actually got in the main quest previously; I know I didn't retrieve my father's sword, assuming that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sounds like it'll cover me mechanically, since I imagine getting a horse is a bit of a capstone to the soft tutorial that seems to be continuing after the intro, but is it also a narrative down beat that sort of puts a bow on what's happened so far and suggests I can take a break from the main quest?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

Not exactly. The main quest is more or less a rapid fire narrative chain until Baptism of Fire, 3-4 quests later. It certainly slows down for a bit after Ginger in a Pickle though, and sends you off for one of the most entertaining quests in the game.

Just watch out for the quest On The Scent. It's fine if you don't do it right away, but you're certainly supposed to.

I may well hold out until Baptism then, I really would like keep the narrative chain going.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I played a lot of KC:D1 but never finished it; I'm surprised we're playing as Henry again. It wouldn't have been my first choice but I'll greedily play any sequel, the first game is unique and I'm excited to see what they do with more time, money, and development.