Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The horse whistle is a little terrifying. Get off your horse, walk a hundred yards across a field, looking at him the whole time. Then turn just so he’s out of your vision and whistle. And in a heartbeat, there your horse will be, breathing heavily down the back of your neck.

My one complaint is that the horse only does its Creepy Watson impression when you whistle.

the game really should have found a way to put making savior schnapps in the tutorial. It's dead easy and the save system doesn't suck as much when it costs like 5 gold for one in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Real Cool Catfish posted:

The dice game would be a lot more fair if they people I played against ever realised they win once they hit 2000 and rolling for more points past that literally does nothing. I feel like they’re missing the ability to realise when they’ve won.

The gambler in Sassau is way luckier than he has any right to be, and I've seen him get 1-1-1 and 1-1-1-1.

I'm going to follow him home tonight.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

precision posted:

Click R3 to cycle targets.

jfc I've been trying to drag my view from person to person, which has not been going well let me tell you.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Major Isoor posted:

By the way, can someone explain combos to me? I've been holding off on getting any combos (I use a longsword and mace, if that impacts which ones I should get) since the game doesn't seem to explain performing them, anywhere.
Like, am I meant to perform all the clicks for slashes/stabs rapidly, or should I be waiting until each blow lands (or is blocked) before performing the next?

When it lands or is blocked.

Bernard has a combo training called strikes or something. Unfortunately it's just a generic combo and you don't get to choose which one to practice.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

lol I love how much it hyped up Roach round 2. Countered him once, bonked him on the head with a mace, hello victory cutscene.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Tei posted:

I took the "human trashcan" vitality perk accidentally. I am a horrible person? despite the description I have not seen it do anything.

When you eat low condition food you have a chance at food poisoning, which hurts a bit and lowers stats.

With that perk, if you eat bad food, you don't gain nutrition but you don't get poisoned either.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Surprised they didn't make a 'frantically unbuckle your armour, drop your pants and squat to avoid shutting yourself' mini game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

If you're seriously saying "game mustn't be buggy because I personally haven't experienced a bug" you should probably stop. Maybe offer a prayer of thanks or buy a lottery ticket. My favourite trivial bug so far was stealth killing a sleeping guy, getting discovered and having to running away and fight the pursuers for a few minutes. Then I came back, went to loot the dead guy and found another dude sleeping on the body.

Futuresight posted:

Wow. Just tested this and yep it works just like that. You don't even need to get the order right. Just put in the wine then the 1 nettle and 2 belladonna in whatever order and then just phial it up.

That means without the perk you can probably just mortar and pestle the belladonna and ignore the fire.

Without the perk, I hosed up making nighthawk and added the cave mushroom to the still boiling mix, everything's fine. :thumbsup:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can't remember the name of the perk, but I highly recommend the one where your energy and nutrition does not drop if you are standing still. It seems useless until you consider that it applies to sleeping and waiting as well. You basically lose the need to eat outside of traveling around the map.

Considering going to the baths gets you a refill on energy/nutrition it's not that great, but it might be handy for the odorous among us.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Don't dismiss the people in this thread talking about the bugs they're experiencing as "maybe watching streams or having bad computers". That's like walking into a GP's reception area, looking around and going, "hmm I feel fine, maybe these people have been watching too much House"

Futuresight posted:

That means without the perk you can probably just mortar and pestle the belladonna and ignore the fire.

Just testing now and without the perk I can just throw wine, one nettle and two belladonna into a cauldron, put it in a phial and I have saviour schnapps. :stare:

e: same with bowman's brew. Just put ingredients straight in pot, put in phial, all good.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 19, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I think if you re-read my statement about bugs you’ll see I’m more or less saying that if you have typical popular hardware from the last few years (my build is pretty ordinary) then you probably won’t have a buggy experience. I think steam right now is full of a bunch of morons and autists like you flipping out because their 10 yr old amazing cpu with sandybridge for SOME reason wasn’t tested and GAMES BRKED.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Really appreciating little touches like the triangle symbols on the alchemy base liquids, it's great just glancing at the book to double check I'm using the right one.

'course missing big touches like not actually checking that you're following the instructions is a bit weird.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Oh god drat, I just noticed when you hit a guy your sword is usually in the right position to execute a combo, just press the right slash/strike combinations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

help i'm dying

e: unfortunately after a moment the visual bug goes away, I wasn't able to shoot him full of sword

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Highly recommended y'all get a stealth kill while you're holding a torch.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I got owned by the Robber Baron quest and lost ~3 hours progress. I think people mentioned it here before but I wasn't listening. Something about if you go report the camp's location back to Bernard, after you kill the Baron, any saves made after you turn in the quest are corrupted and won't load. If while scouting you just happen to kill everyone it's fine. Not sure if there's a third diplomatic solution yet, cbf replaying it again.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Anybody: is there a combo tutorial online? I cannot figure this out. I've tried clicking before the strike, just after the strike, at the moment the strike is audible, but nothing will get me a combo. What is the specific moment to press the slash button again? Do I have to hold the button down? Do I have to press two buttons simultaneously like a reposte? I've tried the training event with Bernard dozens of times, and after 20 or so attempts it just completes the objective when I hit him once, never having completed a combo. I still haven't learned how to combo.
:smith:

general combat video, pretty helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNlk6i2aK3c

Another guy on combos specifically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyv2Q1ozuis

Press the attack button just after the blow hits/is blocked. The dot in the middle of the attack directions also flashes white at that time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Also combos are def broken, the timing requirements on them is too precise to accurately recreate, imo, I just get lucky sometimes. I say this because perfect blocks are fine:

Combos are fine though. Just go to Bernard, do the combo training, but don't do the combo he wants you to do, do any other. You get like five minutes to whale on him before he calls time. Do this until you understand the timing and can remember the combo. When you learned one, go away, then come back in an hour or two and do another.

I really like this combat system. Against a skilled enemy it's trading perfect blocks back and forth until finally one hit gets through, then trying to convert that to a combo for max damage. Or get them in a cinch which is a much easier way to make an opening for a combo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Kopijeger posted:

Had a fight with a certain sneaky murderer near the monastery. He lunged at me with his sword, and an oblivious civilian NPC wandered between us at just the right/wrong moment and got cut down for his trouble.

I couldn't complete this quest without reloading and doing something different, my graphics card wouldn't render the murderer.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

precision posted:

Another thing I love to add to the pile is that for once an open world game doesn't make you feel like you're chumpetizing yourself by not going in every drat building and searching everyone's drawers and whatnot. In every other open world game, if you saw a farmhouse in the woods, there'd be a 100% chance it had something great to loot in it and a 95% chance there's a quest attached. Here, you can safely play like a sane human being and only go places you have a legit ingame reason to go to because there aren't Gauntlets of Ogre Power hidden in some schmuck's basement or w/e

Question: Are there caves? It feels like there ought to be caves.

I've found a few caves but they're very short. There is a mine complex west of Skalitz that is pretty cool, but I'd stay out of it until you have a quest to go there.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Very mad that my Rattay murder spree couldn't end with an epic duel between Bernard and myself, because they disable your attack buttons when you fight him.

Also holy poo poo it is fun scything through villagers. Aw, you have a tiny hatchet, how cute!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The Lone Badger posted:

Who do you sell it to though? The people who buy meat have no money.

Herbalists buy anything, general traders, innkeepers. Even if they don't buy anything the first day, the next day they'll have more gold reserves, and more again the day after if you keep trading with them.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Most annoying yet harmless bug: the ticking sound from pick pocketing some times just keeps going until you restart the game.

I meant to try pick pocketing someone else to fix it but I forgot and just wanted it to stop.

also, who knew, pick pocketing is fun when you get some skills in it??? I wish the buttons were more responsive, I feel like I'm pressing the grab item but it's not taking.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Coldforge posted:

Ehhh, I don't know what game you're playing, but in the one I've been playing feinting or attacking from the opposite angle almost never works.

How often does it work on you as an opener? Occasionally you'll get lucky and dunk on Bernard with it but for the most part he sees it coming. This is fine, if the AI did it, you'd have a huge chance of countering it too. Mix feinting into other things. Like block them then feint, the AI seems to make mistakes when it's hard-pressed like people do.

e: loving hell it's so long between learning combos for the axe and mace. With swords you get a new one every other hour. I feel like I've been axing/macing forever with the basic combos.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 22, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Coldforge posted:

Yeah, like I said earlier, that works great when you're fighting a single person. The whole "string together a bunch of attacks and mix things up" idea breaks down the moment you start fighting more than two people, which happens a whole lot after the midpoint of the game.

Sorta? I'm over geared at the moment so it's hard to keep multi person fights going long enough to learn much from them. But fighting two, three or ten people has been basically the same as one. Circle strafe away from the center of the group, target a poor bastard who has weak gear because he's probably less skilled, wait until you can get him between you and the main group. Everything that works to make an opening in a 1v1 still works in a 10 v 1, you just have a fraction of the time to do it, and if it didn't work you're probably a bit exposed. Take some risks and be willing to trade a hit on your armour to bonk someone on the head though and you'll get work done.

Or play for ripostes like you said. :shrug: There's nothing wrong with them. If anything they break the rest of the combat system because, like you said, it can be a one hit kill they can't do poo poo about.

e: if anything I'm mad about dodging. If you're perfectly still it's fine, but if you're moving it's garbage and a crap shoot whether or not you'll get the dodge unless you go in the opposite direction, which is counter-productive in a brawl.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 22, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Coldforge posted:

Either we're playing two very different games, or we're at much different stages in the game. But yeah, dodging is worthless. "Always be moving," says the trainer. "Use the same control to dodge as to move," also the trainer.

Yeah. I might restart and power through the story to see how much is me and how much is Henry getting better/better gear.

precision posted:

Riposting isn't a magic win button, enemies can parry/riposte you right back

That said it seems to me that this game has a real problem dealing with the player getting any good equipment at all because, and i guess this is kinda realistic, if you get good equipment you're basically a god king

It actually is though. A riposte is an automatic hit on them they can't do poo poo about. If you do nothing and just wait for the chance to riposte, even if you fail and don't get one, you're probably still going to get a perfect block. Just do nothing with it and wait for the next riposte.

High level bandits are bastards. I had a bowmen pull out a longsword, I laughed because I was in full plate, and then the fucker took off half my health bar because I was dumb.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

precision posted:

You've never had a guy riposte your riposte? Maybe my Henry just sucks. I'm not very far in the game and have shite gear.

Not that I can think of. There's two different things. There are ripostes which are special animations like you knocking their blade aside and shoving your hilt into their mouth, and there are perfect blocks which don't cost stamina, slow down time and give you the opportunity to do a normal directional attack if you want to, which they can then riposte or perfect block -> counter attack, which you can then riposte/perfect block and so on.

You need to get Bernard to train you in ripostes, I can't remember what it's called but I think it should be available about the same time he teaches you perfect blocks.

e: it's criminal that the game doesn't have a giant flashing sign pointing to Bernard saying "DO EVERY TRAINING WITH THIS MAN" after locking techniques behind it.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 22, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

precision posted:

:psyduck:

This game is not very good at explaining itself. The other thing is called a Riposte in the skill description.

oh my god you're right

ripostes are their own thing and are different to the master strikes

just trying this out now (sorry sasau but you're all dead) and it seems to come out much faster than a normal attack, lightning fast, it's loving nuts

how have i won any fights at all

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The Lone Badger posted:

Could you clarify what you mean?

Y'know what I'm not actually sure anymore. I can't get anything consistent when practicing with Bernie, but I think sometimes the animations don't play right with him.

The game says while executing a perfect block, press the strike button to do a riposte. The riposte can only be blocked by a perfect block. When I was trying it out in Sasau, I noticed that a few times I killed guards even while they were blocking normally. I'd perfect block, do a return overhead strike, and even though they're blocking up they'd die.

These were very different to master strikes, which play the special animation.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Actual good mods? Untested, just browsing.
Coloured arrow fletching

Hide HUD on keypress

No NPC greetings & other things

Remove (gross) sharpen effect when drunk

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

School Nickname posted:

Does the main quest run off without me if I'm doing other quests, or can I leave it fester like in Skyrim? Want to gently caress around a bit in the game.

Pretty much when you get to and actually start a quest, you should finish it ASAP. Or if they say meet me here tomorrow morning, yeah, do that. If they just say meet me in X you're probably fine to ignore it.

Apparently henry's damage scales up stupidly with skill levels, which probably why combat is so easy now. God drat it. Why make an intricate system if you're just going to gently caress it like that. I was ok with attacks coming out faster with levels because that's cool. Raw numbers going way up is dumb.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

MiddleOne posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance || "a realistic RPG"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdlHwzrNb_w

:five:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The Lone Badger posted:

The best melee weapon is a bow. Arrow-To-The-Face-Technique can't be blocked, and works just fine at point-blank range.

Likewise the best stealth method is the Point-Blank-Arrow-To-Cranium-Technique.

ughhhh posted:

Are you sure colored arrows are historically accurate? Maybe places like Prague which is a cosmopolitan city would have them, but such a remote place as Bohimia wouldn't.

yes

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

wizard on a water slide posted:

Games definitely have a tendency to overuse/overpower it, but there were historically and are still various two-weapon styles of martial arts, and a long tradition in European fencing in particular of exactly what that guy was asking if you could do (mainhand sword, offhand dagger)

It should be a risky option for players who wanna live dangerously and show off

yeah but there's already light armour/unarmed for that

for real, punching out a guy with a sword is so good

TheAgent posted:

the best is watching people playing this game slowly die on the inside upon reaching the end

realism indeed

I detoured hard into open world fuckery, now I'm tired of that and thinking about completing the main quest except I'm up to the parts that break hard :ohdear:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

TjyvTompa posted:

The game is really hard in the beginning but once you level up some skills it is way too easy. I one-shot even the most armored people with my mace. To have the fight last longer than 10 seconds I have to limit myself to only damaging the opponents with ripostes, just touching them with the mace will have them fall dead right on the spot.

I should go look for hard numbers but yeah the difficulty curve falls off a cliff late game. I'm basically stomping into late game bandit camps screaming "Fight me cowards!!!" There was a mod that increases enemy spawns to stupid high amounts, I should put that on...

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

poor bandit, looked at a henry and died

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Palpek posted:

I installed the sectorial lockpicking, visible bow dot and unlimited weight mods and this game became a lot more enjoyable to me.

What a cop out.

tbf the game got a lot more enjoyable or me when I put all my money in the bank, stopped looting corpses of anything but money, and tried to live off that and pick pocketing. My armour is so expensive to repair if it gets damaged beyond the self repair threshold :qq:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

MadJackMcJack posted:

I tried that, except if I came close to a tree or a wall the drat horse threw me off :argh: Old reliable Pebbles doesn't give me this poo poo.

I'll never forget the first time I found out that the shop signs have collision boxes.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeah, that's the thing that took me the longest to get over and why it took so long for me to ~get~ archery. I just assumed it worked like that and thought my Henry just sucked and couldn't shoot where he was aiming. Eventually I just realized it was poorly designed and the arrows all went to the center of the screen.
:smith:

what

what

what

also lmao the head cracker perk can proc on unarmed attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I suspect that the heating times aren't critical so players can discover recipes on their own. If you had to trial and error the heating steps you'd go insane. It'd be cool though if it only told you the heating was right when you got it right.

You also don't really need to guess the base liquid, if you look in the herb part of the book each herb will have the triangle icon for the base.