Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So this thing coming out finally then?

I backed it at the base tier on kickstarter years ago with "expected delivery date: December 2015" and as far as I can tell I'll supposedly get a steam key through my official-forum profile on the 13th?

What's the overall verdict -- is this game gonna be good or did I waste my money four years ago? Any consensus review emerging yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Popete posted:

I don't think anyone really knows, it looks promising but there is also a lot of red flags (alt-right dev, little open world explanation, combat may suck or be awesome). I'd say at this point it's got a 40/60 shot of not being a steaming pile.

Ok, well at least I already spent my money before I knew the dev was alt-right, so I can play with a clear "I didn't know" conscience

One review I saw said there was gameplay around the monastic-hours clock so that's cool. What's this about Actual Pooping?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This seems like one of those sim games whose devs spent so much time trying to implement so many systems that they forgot to check to see if any of them were any fun.

I guess it's going to come down to why you are playing it, and what kind of game it really is. A lot of RPGs have actually kind of lovely combat. Everyone loved Skyrim so much but let's be real melee combat was kind of poo poo. But you did it so you could explore the world.

If it ends up painting a compelling story it could be good. Or if you are there for all the micromanagement in making GBS threads Simulator 2018 then it will probably be good. But if you are there for the combat it's probably going to be crap. I expect the user reviews for this are going to be *scathing*

Yeah this seems like a good predictor.

I sank my money on the kickstarter at the lowest tier years ago so it's a sunk cost now, I'm mostly just hoping it has some entertainment value in there somewhere.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Archonex posted:

I didn't want to seem like I was complaining by just ranting about the video. But yeah, all that poo poo happened too and it had me laughing my rear end off and wondering where their QA budget went.

This thing is going to be such a mess. What's worse it's around the top seller spot on Steam at the moment.

At the moment, the way it's sounding so far, it's reminding me a lot of how Ultima Online was when it first came out -- a stinking hot mess of an awful game that was still worth playing anyway -- at least if you could play for cheap -- because it had some new and interesting ideas mixed in there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It was linked so I could get Beta access, but I don't have any way of getting the actual game. I checked their website and I don't see any way to link the account.

They mentioned in a backer email that some Soldier level backers would need to contact them directly to get activation. Their whole setup seems pretty janky start to finish.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KyloWinter posted:

drat. I didn't realize making a black npc took up more development resources than making a white npc

There are so many different joke directions I could go from this if it weren't for Poe's Law and the impossibility of differentiating between racism and sarcastic mockery of racists

dammit

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Reiterpallasch posted:

like, holy poo poo

Is that right before or right after this game? Cause one PC can only kill, like, two-thirds of that max

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also wondering

So far the magic eight ball is saying "ask again later"

It probably won't be good but it might be "good"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Haha, literal blue screen "your PC ran into an error and needs to restart" the instant I tell Steam to run the game

Magical

edit: now it's redownloading the entire game again

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 13, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So is speech a poo poo stat then? Pump strumph?

edit: is there an agreed upon good build or not yet?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 13, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Der Shovel posted:

Kingdom Come doesn't really have "throwing points", though. You do something, you get experience in that something. Get enough experience in that something, and that something goes up a level. Every other level up you get a perk point in that something. A Speech perk point can't be used for Warfare or Swords, and vice versa.

Is there any sort of curving based on the starting points? Like if you put all your starting points in Strump is it easier or harder to raise Strump further?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Der Shovel posted:

Yep. After that whatever you do, you get better at it. And if you want to do it when it counts, boy you'd better do a lot of it! Like for instance, before you hit Bow level 5, you can't even hold the bow right and will injure your arms every time you shoot unless you wear vambraces.

So bunny hop a lot to raise vitality?

I'm gonna need to macro this poo poo aren't I

Just powerlevel bunny hop

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You need a perk for it, under hunting

Does this game have any kind of scaling to level or is there absolutely no downside to making my dude hop all night long with a drinking bird to build stamina

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
where's the easiest place to get lockpicks in the starting hamlet place

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Junkfist posted:

If you talk to Klaus or whatever that one friend of yours is with the raspy rear end in a top hat voice he'll give you 4 of them after you talk to that dude who owes you an axe and nails.

Any particularly good place to use them in the starting village?

I feel like I should be able to clear this place out far more efficiently than I've managed to figure out so far.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pylons posted:

So what perks are people going for? I have a couple points, but none of the ones I have available to me really jumped out.

There's a +2 charisma perk really early in the herbalism tree.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a +2 charisma perk really early in the herbalism tree.

There also seems to be a permanent +2 Vitality buff if you win when the drunkard attacks you. Not fully confirmed yet.

One big question: what is the EXACT path to get Fritz to give you lockpicks? Whenever I try, my dudes just decide to gangbang the drunkard, which works, but doesn't give me lockpicks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

iGestalt posted:

Someone mentioned +2 Vitality perk or something from beating a drunk. Which drunk is that?

All I know is I got a +2 vitality permanent buff in the very first town and it showed up right after fistfighting the drunk guy who won't pay your dad. The fight where he attacks you after you fail the speech check.

It's visible under buffs, as "resistance."

Can't figure out how to get the alleged lockpicks from fritz though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

iGestalt posted:

Huh. Interesting. Would you mind screenshotting the buff? I'm really curious what it's called / saying.

I think I lost that sequence of events in a crash but I'll try to recreate.

Edit: ahhh I picked up a SHITLOAD of nettles, that explains. Sorry!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Well, given the savegame requirements I'm getting REALLY sick of this "hard crash to desktop when you run while tired" thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What are the best perks and the worst perks and is there any way to respec

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

khwarezm posted:

So, if you leave aside the crippling bugs and performance issues (and maybe some of the creators political views), a lot of the reviews seem quite positive about this game, what's the goon consensus?

Good game with weird but interesting design choices.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bees everywhere posted:

I picked the perk to make my horse go faster at the expense of carry weight and boy was that a bad choice. I really hope there's a way to respec.

Yah, the only obvious perk choices I've seen so far are:

1) Mule under strength for more carry weight

2) flower power for +2 charisma bonus from carrying herbs under herbalism

Perks I've been considering:

Thickblooded under Vitality for slower bleeding, since there' s no downside

horsenip under herbalism, herbs in saddlebags makes horse shy less

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

poptart_fairy posted:

What is it with you dumb bastards and not recognising an obvious steam quote.

The steam forums are waaay further out than that, sadly. If it's a Steam quote pick one of the ones from the thread about the planned female-PC expansion:

See, e.g., : http://steamcommunity.com/app/379430/discussions/0/2860219962082578946/#c2860219962082624247 (a.k.a. "Joan of Who? Never heard of her.")

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Phi230 posted:

syphilis

Not a problem in 1403. Syphilis came to Europe post-Columbus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PaybackJack posted:

I also immediately installed the lockpick mod, haven't regretted that decision.

It does almost make you too wealthy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PaybackJack posted:

Choking out a guard and stealing his stuff will get you a lot more cash. Each guard probably has at least a 1k worth of armor on him.

Does this make the guards mad? I value my as yet uncaught reputation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheAgent posted:

I'm pretty sure dogs testify to the guards like lassie in this game

I just figured everyone assumed Henry did everything bad because he's a dirty jumped up peasant.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OutofSight posted:

I kind of agree with that "man in agony" on the cover. Swords - how do they even work?

Didn't even get the pommel right

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The first major city. You won't be able to accurately read the instructions until you learn to read but you can generally puzzle through it or just look them up online.

Seriously alchemy is the best, buying potions is for absolute suckers.

how fast can you beeline reading

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zelder posted:

this game and it's popularity makes me realize that i fundamentally do not understand pc gamers

I am glad to see that historicity is such a huge draw. I was expecting this to be a much more niche game than it seems to be heading towards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The haggle interface seems confusing as heck

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The writing in this is good in a weird way. Like there's real depth of character and characters even have arcs and change, but it's also melodramatic also to the point of camp (*cries over parents*). Choices are meaningful and have impact. It's not flashy-good like, say, Planescape:Torment or something but it's solid and it gets the job done.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PaybackJack posted:

This game is definitely way better than it should be given that it's been years since the kickstarter and it's the developer's only game.

Megazver posted:

It's made by the guy who wrote and designed Mafia and Mafia 2 and people from that team.

Ahhhhhhhh that makes more sense then

I'd basically written off this game two years ago as a wasted pledge, so it's really been one of the most pleasant surprises I've gotten from KS.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How well does using archery targets work for leveling?

If I just stand right in front of a target can I speed-level it?

Seems like the source of arrows would be an issue.

I'm *really* bad at archery so far for some reason, it hasn't clicked yet. When I had to do the hunting rabbits quest in the main storyline I ran out of arrows and ran around sprinting after rabbits to stab them with the Seax and got more kills that way than I had with the bow.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can grab the ones you shoot.

I tried? They go poof or they aren't grabbable for me for some reason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nalin posted:

So, everybody level up your Maintenance skill. At level 6 you get a perk called Stuffing and it is absurd. Stuffing makes the noise rating drop on equipment you have personally repaired. And by drop it means sets to 0.

Buy one of every type of small maintenance kits, put on your full 100% condition equipment, and practice sword training for a few minutes in Rattay with a wooden sword. After that, all your equipment should have a couple points of damage to it. Repair all of it and watch your Noise stat drop from 100 to 0.

Become the silent dude in plate armor.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's really weird. I can recover every arrow I shoot unless they break or I lose it.

Also protip; don't just make a pile of poo poo to grab later. ALWAYS put it inside a container that's part of the environment. Otherwise it might disappear.

I need to start collecting these tips into some form of guide, all the online ones I've found so far have been crappy.

I'd also add "collect a shitload of herbs at the start" because there are two good perks from doing so, one for +2 Chr and one for +2 Vitality.

What else?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Clanpot Shake posted:

The huntsman in Talmberg has an easy chest in his attic containing 200 gold and a skinning skill book and a bunch of other poo poo. This is his supply as a merchant, meaning it resets after some number of days. Stop in every time you're moving through the area for some easy money.

Others:

-- getting lockpicks from Fritz in the beginning as discussed above

-- "stolen goods" laundering by selling them to a merchant and buying them back

edit: Where the gently caress is the best place to get a shovel?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 16, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Futuresight posted:

Make sure you're looting bladed weapons off your victims and repairing them at a grindstone for free maintenance XP. They also tend to sell pretty well so are generally worth picking up anyway.

See this is the good poo poo I'm talking about right here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
ok this drunk priest dude is my buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
swimming out into midstream raises speech for some reason?