Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hi, as an actual person with historical knowledge, yes there would be brown and black people all up in Bohemia, including bumfuck nowhere parts of Bohemia in the loving 1400's.

200 years after the Crusades, yes there will be brown people all over the place. Bohemia was the loving trading center of most of the HRE, and even in bumfuck nowhere Bohemia you'd have a lot of turnover.

This isn't even getting INTO the poo poo that was the Classical Era, Alexandrian/Roman migrations/colonization, the settling/migration of many African tribes, mercenary movements, Carthaginian turnover into Spain, Berbers and Moors, etc etc.

Like I think America is something like 30% African American/5% Middle Eastern and you see a pretty decently chunk of both groups. Medieval Europe would probably be closer to 5%/5% or maaaaybe 10%/5%, but that's still a pretty hefty chunk. If you went to a major city or even just wandered around long enough you'd see someone of a darker complexion, even if it was just a trader or a mercenary.

The idea that people would die of fright if they saw someone of a dark complexion and that they'd call over the local law enforcement is silly.

Like talking the nationalism/painting Bohemia right angle, this game does Bohemia a massive disservice by painting it as a shithole country, unlike what it was, which was a center of trade and knowledge. This instead informs the opinion of people that the Medieval Ages were exactly what Hollywood tells us, and not what they were actually like.

Also getting into weapon talk/historical accuracy, nothing I've seen so far of the gameplay reads historically accurate. Swords are for thrusting, you would almost never slash with a sword. This was the age of pike and crossbow, turning into the age of gun. You'd really start to see guns showing up among the nobility, and basically everyone would be given a spear/pike or a crossbow. This was the deathknell of "knights" ( even though knights are rarely what we envision them as ), because any rando fucker can pick up a spear/pike or use a crossbow and kill them pretty easily. It's the age when we started seeing real actual militaries again, built up off the backs of the lower classes. The idea of a dude wandering around the countryside with a sword and a shield picking fights with other people is kind of silly. The idea of a large scale battle built around lots of guys using sword and shields still in 1402 is downright wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

by R. Guyovich

KyloWinter posted:

are you sure you aren't thinking of 1502. agincourt was 1415

Western Europe and Central/Eastern Europe developed quite differently. You generally saw a lot more cavalry/nobility at play in England/France which led to a greater degree of people using 2H weapons/Sword and Shield style fights. You also saw a much slower growth of crossbow use, and near no pike use for quite some time ( the French really struggled to adopt Pike for a variety of reasons. Namely feudalism. You give the average man the ability to kill trained fighters with ease and you gain strength over your enemies, but you also give him more power then he had which the French did not want! ).

By the early Hussite Wars ( 20 or so years after the game ) Bohemian armies were set. They were built around a Pavise line wielding Pikes, and you had Crossbowmen backing them up. They also made heavy use of cannons and other heavy guns. We have a number of historical examples even into the late 1300's of this being the Bohemian setup for war. Advance under Pavise, have your Crossbowmen spread out and use the Pavise line as cover, then bait them into your Pike through a mix of Crossbow fire and cannonade.

So watching the BIG BATTLE for this game being a bunch of dudes 1v1ing each other with swords and shields, not a single Pavise or Crossbow in sight is a little ahistorical let's say.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FuzzySlippers posted:

How much sandbox ended up in the game? I remember backing this at the cheapest tier when I thought it was a better looking Mount and Blade but then it shifted to how this is the specific story of white dude rags to riches blacksmith. Their terrible story sounded more boring than a goofy systems driven thing like M&B or Darklands.

Who knows. They basically refuse to do anything but talk about the core plot, so we have no idea what side quests look like. We know it features BOUNTY HUNTING, but who knows what that means.

If you don't want your key anymore, I'd gladly buy it off you for $30. The fall of the HRE and our understanding of it was the topic of my thesis paper, and I've got a morbid curiosity for this game's historical aspects, despite being pretty hesitant of it's quality. Having to learn how to read so you can do quests for monks/become a monk is just stupid enough I kind of want to see it, just not for $60.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phlegmish posted:

I will still be able to get the no-sex cheevo, right

[adjusts glasses nerdily] should I be ironic about this,

https://www.pcgamesn.com/kingdom-co...gin-achievement

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god. The old "Use the wait for ____ amount of hours feature in a shop to steal all the poo poo in the shop after the NPC's are assigned to go to sleep." exploit/bug from Morrowind is in.

They really didn't even care to try, did they?

Edit: It's around 42-43 minutes in for anyone that wants to see him do it.

Wait, you mention the sleep in their shop thing, but not the NPCs straight up just greeting him and not caring as he wanders around in a Private Area and knocks out some sleeping lady while they all watch? Also him fumbling around for 5 minutes trying to get back out while they all see him in the private area the stuff is stored at and just keep saying HELLO HENRY like some terrifying cult?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

by R. Guyovich

iGestalt posted:

What was literacy like in 15th century Bohemia, if you happen toknow? Legit curious, since it came up earlier in this thread in a round about way.

Bad.

England: 40% (Late 1400s - early 1500s)

Poland: 10% (1500s)

Italy: 25-35% (Late 1200s - early 1300s)

Germany: 5% overall, 30% urban areas (Early 1500s)

Like ironically enough, the fact anybody can read in this game is pretty ahistorical. This ain't England with it's 40%, it's Poland/Germany with it's sub5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fame Douglas posted:

There were no stars back then in Bohemia.