Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Earwicker posted:

not people of color necessarily but there were definitely Jewish communities throughout Bohemia at this time, there were laws in various towns that restricted what kind of work Jews could do or how they must identify themselves in public (often a yellow patch which is what the Nazi's later based the yellow star on), there was tension and pogroms in some areas, it was definitely an issue in medieval Bohemian and German and many other societies.. and as far as I've seen the game makes no mention of any of this and all Czechs and Germans are portrayed as universally Christian. though I'm not that deep into the main quest..

whether that absence is malicious or not is frankly a bit hard to say given the developer's leanings however, and as a Jewish person myself I'm not sure I'd care to see how they would address the issue in game..

Jews were restricted to towns where their movement was limited by the authority of the crown (which was their direct overlord and protector). They were not permitted to mingle with society at large, and were not allowed to live outside of their designated ghettos until like the end of 18th century. So most likely no Jews to encounter at all in the countryside.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If they do medieval Prague -- and they will want to do Prague at some point almost certainly -- they will want to take the PC through the ghetto for the same reason they wanted to take Henry through the monastery.

Personally I guess that they will choose Tábor instead of Prague for their Hussite Wars sequel. It would be much more manageable for a game with 1:1 relation to reality, and also more interesting, probably.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 7, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KyloWinter posted:

Apparently there's a lot of criticism with regards to display of not only the historical fighting but peasant life as well all the way down to their clothing. Wow!

There are some concession made due to gameplay, and some minor historical inaccuracies. For example I read one guy's complaint that the chicken in the game are inaccurate because that particular breed hadn't been developed until centuries later. I doubt they bothered to research such pedantic minutae.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love how whenever somebody starts throwing around "actual historians", they mean Youtubers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DogonCrook posted:

Starting over it really is striking how the quality degrades over time. Like watch the intro and the cutscenes with your father again the difference is night and day. Way more polished than any other part of the game i can remember, and the graphics are cranked way up in those scenes compared to others.

I'm pretty sure those intros are prerendered videos.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pyromancer posted:

If you change Henry's clothes and enable fps indicator it reveals most of the scenes before escaping Talmberg are prerendered with Henry's starting outfit and run capped to 30fps instead of 60.

Also you can see compression artefacts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is there any armor better than the Italian brigandine?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Milanese Brigandine chestpiece?

Armor varies a bit by slot, I put the rankings up in my guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305878776 (the link in the OP needs to be fixed, not sure why it isn't working)

Milanese Brigandine is the best chest slot armor you can buy but you can find the Nurembergian Cuirass in a few places and it's superior. Warhorse Helm is the best headslot, then Aachen Bascinet, then Italian Bascinet is best headslot you can buy. Pauldrons and Chausses Magdeburg is best and you can buy it; best gauntlets are Nobleman's Gauntlets.

Thanks, the guide is a good read.

The Chad Jihad posted:

If I remember right cryengine is pretty rough to work with

Original Sin 2 was also the second game using basically the same framework, so presumably there were way fewer complex issues to fix.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OK, I have an easy time picking hard locks, but any very hard lock will just snap my pick immediately. Is there a hard skill threshold I need to get over to unlock those?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally I don't understand why my reputation with Rattay soldiers keeps jumping up and down - I occasionally steal crap, but they never catch me, and I always let them search me without an argument. True, it affects nothing as far as I can tel,, but it's annoying.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Radzig seems to give surprisingly few fucks about the custom Dad-sword, tbqh.

He just lost his whole fiefdom.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Speaking of characters, I'm quite fond of the portrayal of Hans. I was sure he would be the obvious antagonist, the stuck up noble counterpart to our everyman hero. Yet he actually proves to be a good friend - if you get the chance to reach the social status where it is permissible to mingle with nobility. The game humanizes him, yet at the same time it always keeps in mind the feudal duality of his character - no matter how nice he may eventually end up in relationship to you, the concerns of the peasantry about his playboy lifestyle and wastrel ways remain in the center of his character dynamic, you get a distinct impression that by allowing yourself to join his circle, you are basically becoming a class traitor to the peasantry from which you came.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Akion posted:

I was going to come in here and ask if the game was worth a buy but after reading the last few pages...

:yikes:

It's buggy for sure, but I still don't regret my purchase.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Historically, as far as I can figure out, it wasn't rebuilt as a town until like the 1500's.

http://www.ceskaskalice.cz/en/tourism/ceska-skalice/

That's a very different town, you should be looking for Stříbrná Skalice. Which recovered soon after the pillaging, but the castle remained a ruin, Racek Kobyla turned to banditry, then was rehabilitated by the king and given a military office, but was killed for his Hussite loyalties by a mob.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does the unlimited savings mod still work? I used the no schnapps version and it won't let me save since I don't have schnapps in my inventory.

It works for me, but IIRC I had to get a schnapps in my inventory to make it initiate after the big patch. Afterwards there were no issues.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is the loot in this game randomized? I've already found several Milanese brigandines in charcoal burners / general peasant huts, which is kinda immersion breaking, not to mention balance breaking...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that at least makes a little more sense, if it was solely a matter of infidelity that would be the dumbest poo poo ever

It is made very clear in the game that Yennefer is furious about Geralt's affair with Triss, and that Triss is bitter about Geralt choosing to find Yennefer after recvering his memories.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The bascinets are what got me to install a mod that reduces equipment dirtying. It just bugged me that my helmet looked like I went through a battle after a casual stroll along a nice road.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also this game really needs a hotkey to swap between outfit presets instead of dragging crap manually every time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Thinking like this is what got us Oblivion after Morrowind...

Like, Bioware and Bethesda are still making games, why do you want to dumb this one down to their level?

Are you for real, adding decent UI is not dumbing the game down. Just like fixing bugs isn't dumbing a game down. This "hardcore gamer" masochism is loving dumb.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well good thing nobody is suggesting anything of that sort

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The super layered system is cool, but also there's not enough equipment to justify some of the slots currently, like I think I've only found one item for the hauberk layer that wasn't garbage.

VVVV
It's pretty much inexcusable that is not an option.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

Yes, which started the Hussite Wars (named after Hus's supporters) which included 5 crusades against The Kingdom of Bohemia proclaimed by the Pope. This is why people speculate that a sequel could take place during those crazy times.

One of my favorite historical tidbits is that Joan of Arc swore to lead a crusade against Hussites after wrapping up the Hundred Years War.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Neurosis posted:

lol. something else i thought was cool was how the heretics were a proto-protestant sect and merged into broader protestantism a couple of centuries later. i had no idea about the forebears to protestantism that were running around circa this game (well, aside from the rumblings from john wycliffe)

The Utraquist church that arose from Hussites actually merged with the Catholics during the 16th century in opposition to German Protestant movements which they saw as hostile and destabilizing to the Kingdom.

E: Oh, I though you were talking about Hus, not the heretics in the game. Well, yeah, the smaller factions were more complicated, but I wouldn't say they "merged" with what is conventionally considered Protestantism either...

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 26, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hey, just a question, has this game been patched, and is it worth €45?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, my RPG instincts kicked in, and I immediately started grinding and looting everything before even starting the plot line properly, and it in no way helped me to progress. It's better to think of this game as an adventure than a "proper" RPG.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

Who the gently caress likes inventory management

It's one of the great myths of cRPG that intrusive inventory design is a design feature. You will get a bunch of angry fanboys screaming bloody murder if you try to make a cRPG with streamlined inventory management.

Also it's worth noting that the chief developer of this game struck success with a game that was designed specifically to be as annoying about menial details as possible (Mafia)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Truman Show 2: Kingdom COme

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's a mod to remove the frankly idiotic grognardy schnapps mechanic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I actually liked both the lockpicking and pickpocketing minigames... there's something wring with me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Defeat your enemies by staying well hydrated at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, time to kick Sigismund's rear end in the name of the chalice :black101: (or maybe kick Žižka's rear end in the name of the cross?)