Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

I am the hand with sausage fingers and tiny thumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
I'm not getting the boiling part of alchemy recipes - some people swear the stuff has to bubble for it to count, but I'm successfully making potions by barely warming it up, pulling bellows once for every turn, waiting for fire to go out and pulling again for next.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

GyverMac posted:

So I went on a little nigh time raid in the armourers shop. I got frustrated when I saw the armourer had packed away all the valuables before closing, so I choked out one of the guards in his bed and stole all his stuff.
The entire shop's inventory is stashed in the chests in the same building, so if you can open very hard locks you can just go in broad daylight, take everything and crawl out carrying it and nobody says a thing because they were at the counter and the chest is in the back room they can't see or hear.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Tei posted:

Weird poo poo:
Everyone in Ratay pretend to knows me and salute me "Hey Henry!", is all "hello henry", "hey henry". It make me feel weird, I like to have a low profile, and I am not stranger to steal people property. Having everyone to know me by name make it harder.
I wonder why people is so happy to know me. All I did was that one hunt with the local rear end in a top hat noble, and helped some people get a job.

It's the reputation - if it's high in the city everyone is happy to see you and greets you in the street, if it's low everyone shittalks you and even refuses some stuff, like training you.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Palpek posted:

How the gently caress do I lockpick with m+k, it seems impossible. I understand the concept but the lock turns too fast for me to keep up with the mouse cursor at the same place and the margin of error is like 0. Should I lower the mouse sensitivity for this, what the gently caress.

It's extremely easy with m+k - find the sweet spot, then hold D and move the mouse clockwise to keep the spot in the same place relative to rotating part. Is your mouse sensitivity so out there you can't draw a circle with it?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Rock Puncher posted:

Also what are the Cumans even doing right now? They came to Skallitz and burned everything looking for Radzig, are they just sitting around in the woods waiting for Henry to get off his arse and fulfill the prophecy? They had a loving enormous army, how are they feeding all of these people? Or did they just turn around and go home after their mission failed?

For Henry, the day Cumans burned his village was the most important day of his life. But for Cumans, it was Tuesday

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

precision posted:

Also, eat poo poo Hans. Once I heeded the "don't move the stick, just wait" school of Archery, I beat Hans by a score of 17 to 9. lmao. "Stab him in the face" also worked fine this time, I have no idea why that never worked last night, I just parried his attacks and then hit R1 and even though my Henry doesn't know Riposte yet (in fact, you can't know it for that fight presumably) it worked a treat.

Because that's not a real riposte, you just follow the block through with an attack, which also works. Hans is surprisingly bad at swords, random Cumans dodge, block and parry way more than he does.
When you get riposte perk you don't even need to hit attack button, just time the block right and Henry deflects the blow and counters without additional button presses.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

precision posted:

Is there another thing the game specifically calls a Riposte? The thing I'm doing is definitely called that, though I've never had it happen accidentally after a perfect block.

Riposte is the thing Bernard teaches you in "master strike" training for every type of weapon separately.
To do it you have to block at the very beginning of the green shield showing the perfect block window(easier to look at character animation than the shield to hit it in time), with that successful you not only deflect the strike but also smack them in the face without pressing attack button.

Also there's clinching - a combat mechanic not explained in any of Bernard trainings but you probably had it happen to you if you get too close in enemy face. You get really close to enemy and then spam F(or whatever is kick button in fistfight for you), if successful you shove the enemy and open them up for an attack while they try to recover balance

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 22, 2018

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Today I learned that the longsword combo of down-left, stab, stab is really good against anyone who isn't wearing face protection as it goes right to the head.

Even plain non-combo stabbing works great against just about everyone.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

By the way people, thanks for the appreciation and if anyone has any specific question about HEMA or its relation with the combat in KC:D, feel free to ask :)

What is that move in master strike with a sword when Henry just puts the tip of his sword against opponent's breastplate and uses it to push the opponent away. Is that a real HEMA thing? Because it mostly looks comical.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The media narrative seems to be getting more nuanced as people spend more time actually playing the game.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/05/kingdom-come-deliverance-historical-accuracy/

quote:

there are no rebellious women, no revolutionaries, no religious sceptics on the one hand, no religious fanatics on the other, no representatives of other cultures apart from murderous Cumans
Doesn't look like they played this game, because literally all of those are present

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that loving sucks. thats why i plan on waiting for more patches before playing anymore.

Right now completing some sidequests in certain ways breaks saving completely, which is quite a head-scratcher. How is saving tied to NPC well-being? :iiam:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I'm pretty sure those intros are prerendered videos.

If you change Henry's clothes and enable fps indicator it reveals most of the scenes before escaping Talmberg are prerendered with Henry's starting outfit and run capped to 30fps instead of 60.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

dogstile posted:

I'm willing to bet 90% of the archery is too strong people are using the cursor hack.

Nah, you get used to aiming relative to bow and gauntlet just as well even without enabling cursor

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

You can do the optional objectives after stealth murdering the entire camp, that counts as stealth, right?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Second, what happened to the "realistic gritty combat" bullshit? I rescue hans from two Cumans in the camp during hunting, and I pumped 12 arrows in the first dude, and 10 to the other one before I had to hack them with a sword? And how the gently caress does an unarmed peasant take multiple sword hits from me, blocking with his loving hands? Am I understanding something wrong, or is it supposed to be like this?

Something is definitely wrong, one or two arrows is enough for a kill on most enemies usually. Are you shooting tournament arrows with a bow you don't have stats to fully draw?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Drone posted:

I just did the quest with Ginger and the Neuhof bandits, and I now have the quest to go look for the guy with a limp in Uzhitz. I'd kinda like to take a pause for a few in-game days here and... I dunno, learn how to read.

Once you find the limpy guy you can take some time off by not talking to the priest about him, or he'll start the next countdown.
Then there are some time-sensitive main quests, so the next opportunity would only be when you're asked to scout and sabotage a bandit camp in the woods.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Is there a point to buying a caparison for your horse? I bought one and it just makes my horse slower while taking up space that I need for my illegal poaching activities. I'm going to put it in my trunk for now

A caparison is the undercarriage neon lights of the middle ages

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Jose posted:

how much of the main story is there to do after sabotaging the bandit camp and fighting runt?

That's about half-way through

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I've been told if I like A Song of Ice and Fire and Witcher poo poo, that this game would be my jam. I've looked into this game. It appears it may be my jam. is this game good on side quests and being able to gently caress off in a huge world, or is it more "there's a big rear end world but you're rail roaded on the story?" I like both approaches, just curious how this one rolls.

You're railroaded through prologue, then you can do whatever you please, but there is a catch - you're really bad at fighting, game haven't unlocked all of combat mechanics for you to represent that. So you should stick with the plot some more until you get proper training and a free horse.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

He wears a full helmet as of couple patches ago.

I won every first round of the tournaments by face-stabbing with a longsword, tournament helmets are all open, but they tend to force you into other weapons for rounds 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

• Has anyone else found levelling Mace to be really slow relative to sword? I've barely used a sword at all, and it's already soared ahead of my mace skill. Maybe the Rattay tournament yields way more experience than training with Bernard? Also curse these practice bludgeons still beating the gently caress out of me.

Pretty sure Bernard tells you straight up that you don't learn as much with practice weapons, that's why there is the option to fight him with real weapons.