Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

In this game you have a Drinking skill so I think it will be good.

Obviously putting all my skill points into Drinking whenever I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

god chivalry was so good when people didn't abuse weird engine things.

Chivalry is still good, i have almost 2,000 hours and I(m not even good

e: 1754 hours

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I will still be able to get the no-sex cheevo, right

[adjusts glasses nerdily] should I be ironic about this,

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If the combat is actually like Chivalry, it's a day one purchase for me. Chiv combat in an RPG would be like a dream come true. I highly doubt that's the case, though.

e: imagine looking at a historical game set in 15th-century Bohemia and complaining about the lack of racial diversity, how far gone you would have to be for that. It's like a parody. If the lead dev is an rear end in a top hat during interviews or something, that's fair enough, but this particular complaint is nonsense.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 12, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that there were traders from all over the known world in major European cities. I was under the impression that people were complaining that random-rear end villages didn't have black people in them. That's stupid. I'm very sceptical as to this claim of Europe in 1400 outside of the Iberian peninsula and the Balkans being 5% black (what? did they mean North African?) and 5% Middle Eastern. And the barrier here isn't 'race', which didn't exist yet as such, but religion. Religious conformity was strictly enforced at the time, and people coming in from outside cultures would usually be quickly absorbed by the local population instead of being allowed to form minority communities. If you saw them or their descendants in Europe at any given point in time, they likely would be indistinguishable from the natives other than a slightly darker complexion, if even that.

On the other hand, that period in time did coincide almost exactly with the arrival of the Roma in the area, so if that is reflected in the game somehow it could be interesting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Would you say this is a bad game for racists?

Glad I didn’t pre-order or anything. An unproven developer with a greedy publisher trying to get $60 seems a bit absurd.

People are saying the mechanics look janky, and some of the devs are dicks. Haven't had the time to take a good look at it myself, but it sounds like I'll be waiting for reviews to come out before I pick it up, if at all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Archonex posted:

Going off of the previews so far this thing is going to be such a mess. What's worse it's around the top seller spot on Steam at the moment.

It surprises me that this became so popular. Like that other goon said, I saw it mentioned in the blurb for an nVidia driver update. It's weird as this originally struck me as an obscure game for nerds (like me), but it seems to have broad appeal.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought this wasn't going to release until tomorrow. Any dudes streaming first impressions?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah I didn't really get the point about light pollution

e: though gently caress realism, I want to be able to actually see things in video games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know when you're drunk and it's dark out and you're lost and you're frustrated

This game will be like that, especially after I max out my Drinking stat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do NOT take this perk in real life, it seems to be bugged. Waiting for a patch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm hype about the idea that the game presents, so I'm kind of leaning on the idea that most of the fuckups will be patched relatively quickly now that it's out. Even the big things like not being able to clearly tell when you're under a status effect is just a matter of throwing an icon on the UI.

That said, it's amazing we have slid this far into "all new releases are beta builds", especially considering the game was in production for four years

I'm in the same boat. No way am I playing this before the first round of patches, but I'm planning on getting around to it as the concept is interesting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

In the starter town I get 40fps at 2560x1600, gtx 970 & 8700k. All minimum settings. Seems this game wants something better hardware wise.

I doubt it's a well-optimized game, but on the other hand, I'm not surprised a GTX 970 no longer always cuts it when playing on a resolution higher than 1080p.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Even pubg runs better these days :v:

I'd upgrade but the gpu prices have not been reasonable for a reasonable upgrade. I paid 380€ for this, what can you get for 380€ these days? Nothing. 6GB 1060 is around 350-400€ for 15% difference in performance...

I got a GTX 1070 (combined with an i7-6700k) for not much more almost two years ago, and I'm very satisfied with it. But as I understand, real prices have actually increased since then, due to the dumb Bitcoin craze.

What I'd do in your situation is turn down your resolution to something with the same aspect ratio, I'd say you have some margin there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought you guys were dissing Raheem Sterling.

Is there a good YouTube review/overview out at this point?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So is speech a poo poo stat then? Pump strumph?

People are apparently failing the first speech check, doesn't mean it's useless for the rest of the game.

I'd be tempted to put points into it, but I don't want to get wrecked during combat

Der Shovel posted:

Congrats, you ran into the same bug I ran into several times. If you're outside, just leave and come back later to try again. If you're inside... well, hope you saved recently.

lol and now I remember why I'm waiting for the first round of patches to hit

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Someone else with a GTX 970 was having trouble, but he was playing at 2560x1600. If you're on 1080p you'll probably be fine at medium settings.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It does seem to conform to expectations both in the positive and the negative sense. It's definitely staying on my wish list.

How do you raise Speech in this game, do you just talk to people? Can I talk to the same peasant wench over and over to grind my Speech?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rock Puncher posted:

protip: you can also punch the horses near mum & dads house, if they path towards mum and dads house when they flee you are basically guaranteed easy levels in warfare, strength and unarmed combat

watch out for guards because if they catch you punching horses they will resist your persuasion attempts and throw you in prison where you will die over an 80 coin fine. No matter how many times you flee and surrender and try to explain this is an important mission from important guy that requires horses to be punched.

Hahaha

I'm hearing you can grind endlessly during the tutorial, but it's just certain skills? Lockpicking? Jumping, which is apparently a skill?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Also, not an awful idea to set the VA to German but have English subtitles. No Czech, unfortunately.

I'm deffo going to do this, some of the nobles would have spoken German at that point, right?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Czech would have been even better, as I understand the protagonist is some sort of proto-class warrior. I guess it wouldn't have been worth the investment.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Megazver posted:

They seem to be doing well. Seems like this game will probably get the support it needs to really shine.

Those are D:OS2 numbers, looking solid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheAgent posted:

older whores have more experience and can help level your charisma, pretty whores drain your agility

I could totally believe this is a mechanic in the game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

After I found out you could rear naked choke people, loot them and it counted as pickpocketing I've been doing that. Then I found out that if you bash in their unconscious face with you mace it raises your skill. Unfortunately now I've killed a dozen villagers on the roads and people hate me...kind of regret that.

The satanic panic people were right all along

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just figured everyone assumed Henry did everything bad because he's a dirty jumped up peasant.

Honestly, he's not exactly proving them wrong

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I boned the Russian/alien chick with a mask on in Mass Effect 2. It's a deep game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I eagerly started taking notes until I realized that's not an exploit

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lady Gagazula posted:

After much herb collecting and level grinding, I can now magically transform .7 Groschen into 78.3 Groschen with the press of a button. This ensures that the Rattay alchemist is well stocked and that I can finally afford a few niceties for myself.

That is a very regal/French horse

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Me thinks the goon doth protest too much

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Is anyone really upset that there's no Czech voice actors in this game or is that just me?

Would have been cool for immersion, but there are only 10 million Czech speakers. It wouldn't be worth the effort from the devs' point of view. It's like how Larian games don't have Dutch voice acting, and Dutch is a significantly bigger language.

I guess Slovakians could understand it (?) but that's still only 16 million people tops.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Avalanche posted:

Slav languages are mostly really similar with exceptions here and there in specific vocab, case marking rules, etc.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Poles, Lithuanians, Serbs/Croats/Balkans people, and Russians should have little problem understanding a lot of spoken Czech.

Lithuanian's not a Slavic language, but yes, I've also heard that the Slavic languages are quite similar to each other.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Olewithmilk posted:

I made friends with a nice rich lady and she gave me some money and told me I could Rob her castle.

It's a euphemism

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Palpek posted:

So paying for a "woman's companionship" at the bathhouse gives you a +2 charisma boost that lasts pretty long. I think it's been up for 2 days now.

You should see a doctor about that LOL

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ledenko posted:

I asked Theresa to go out for a walk with me and she wouldn't because of the rain. It was a bright sunny day :confused:

Dude, take a hint already.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I hate how everyone in Bavaria keeps banker's hours. Nobody and nothing does business before 9:00, not even bathhouses, and forget stumbling into an inn late at night and actually getting any accommodation.

So it's basically Belgium

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shanghaied posted:

And the Netherlands. One time I was in Rotterdam and had a spur of the moment desire to drive to Bruges. But nope, because it's Easter Sunday I can only pick up cars that I have booked ahead of time, but not rent on the spot, even though they have cars, and people working, at the rental place. How are you guys a modern secular country in the 21st century?

I'm Flemish myself, but I work full-time and even I'm annoyed at how hard is to do any shopping during the week. When I leave for work, stores haven't opened yet. When I get home, most of them are closed already. Who are they selling to?

It's a remnant of the medieval corporatist guild mentality (which I suppose is still preferable to a full-on slide into liberal dystopia), so I'm not surprised to see it in Kingdom Come.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I saw the Vavra mention that they have a "thirty year plan" for future games -- my guess is basically the whole of the Hussite Wars, so that the whole game series becomes a sort of Czech national epic.

Clearly a reference to the Thirty Years' War, religious wars confirmed

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

thanks!

So if, hypothetically, one had an AMD RX 480 video card with 8GB video RAM, a SSD, and 16 megs PC ram, one would set those settings to . . .. ?

16 megs? Bro I think I identified the bottleneck :D

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Cool I got a bug where miller peshek was rear end-naked for some reason. He has a clenched white girl butt, a gap between his neck and his torso, and a tiny pecker.

Don't doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Any word on a patch? I know it takes a lot of work and testing, but I would have expected a few hotfixes in the past few weeks, at least.