Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How the gently caress do I ever fight more than one person when I'm constantly locked on to one douchebag and his idiot partner is free to just circle strafe and suckerpunch me while I'm just desperately trying to get visibility on both dues at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Keep moving so that your target is always between you and the other guy, doubly so if the other guy is shooting arrows!

Arrow dudes is one thing, I've been stuck fighting two melee bandits for an hour because inevitably I'll autolock onto one and then the other turbofucks me, often while clipping through his partner.

He'll straight up just run in front the front and kill me while I'm stupidly looking at the other dude

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One of them usually has weaker defenses; kill that one first.

Fighting multiple people in melee at once is the toughest part of the game though. The real answers are either "Wear full plate and shrug off the hits" or "stealth kill them all first so you never have to face them simultaneously."

Or just find a doorway and let them come at you one at a time, then arrow them all in the face.

Somehow I just killed them both without taking a hit and got to mercy kill one. Dunno what I did different, feels good. Put on that dudes boots.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The combat seems cool but there are just too many effects going on. Too many simultaneous things to push/move while every blow from either side jerks my view around around then the fatigue effect kicks in and random slow mos will happen and the swings all have cartoonish wind ups. Ugh.

Also why does bowling into a dude with my horse at full gallop do nothing? Like 1/20 times I can use my horsie to get one good swing in before it becomes a liabilty/escape tool and it is really hard to hit people while mounted.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If I ditch Sir Hans for a while before going hunting instead of meeting the very next dawn, will anyone yell at me/will the quest change at all?

I want to get my cool guard commission and creepily chat up my roommate and do side quests without getting reamed out by my superiors. I wish more of the early main quest stuff was less GO GO GO. Woulda been fun to stay a noob guard for a while and maybe get guard-themed side quests and then launch the Hans tavern brawl and hunt whenever you're ready to progress.

Also what happens to my stolen cuman horse if I take it back to Skaliz in the prologue? I'm restarting now that I kinda know what I'm doing in this game and last time I just jumped off the drawbridge and hauled rear end on foot instead of stealing the armour. Which meant he was just chilling waiting for me in Talmberg stables next time I went there.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 18, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there actually just a non-spoilery list of which main quest lines are time-sensitive?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish Henry got to keep his helmet and weapons in cut scenes like everyone else.

Also, why on earth does walk/canter/gallop use different mechanics than walk/run/sprint? They are functionally identical.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like how you can not only blunder into an affair behind Sir Divish’s back, but that once you’v done it, you can’t even open the conversation menu with Stephanie.

Also, now that finding timmy is my main quest, where the gently caress is Radzig? Aren’t I supposed to report to him?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 20, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vavra has said that he has more plans for Theresa at least, she just got cut due to dev.time limits.

There should be a Theresa dlc where the new mechanics are introduced in alt-viewpoint Skalitz culminating in slitting the three cumans’ throats, then timeskip to her being a badass in her own right in hussite Prague. Henry can be an important npc with an import save feature to determine his role and the world state

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, just got to th bath quest. Fuckin lol. Henry is bathing in his usual outfit and Hans in long johns, about two quests ago we got shirtless men and women and priest sex noises in the background.

Honestly the priest scenes work, I’m more offended at the awkward backtrack. I’ll take your weird video game sex if it’s funny and not janky and has plot behind it

poo poo the Father Godwin scenes could be a movie, they were delightful. The unsung hero is the old tavern drunk who helps you pummel the bailiff but bails somewhere before the belltower.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AxeManiac posted:

You guys realize Henry is a sociopathic murder who gleefully smiles while bringing a mace down on a squirming human. A rich and rewarding romance might be a bit too far out of his reach.

The game is actually a lot more fun if you don’t play it as sociopath loot murderer 2k18

Like legit I was disappointed when the dead parents quest got started and revealed that this was yet another rpg where ideal playstyle is you pilfer every single thing everywhere and sell it to get more numbers.

I’ve played a fuckload of rpgs where 99% of the world’s economy is either wilderness loot or in a merchants bedroom. It’s boring and stupid

Also how the gently caress do you use a grindwheel? That poo poo is also boring and stupid. Every time I try I end up getting sparks and black smoke simultaneously so... great feedback game?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 20, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

You posted:

Henry is a sociopath who gleefully smiles while bringing his ding-dong down on a squirming human.

Hey, I just realized a thing. What if Henry is really bad at sex? Like so bad that his possible love interests won't even talk to him after the deed is done.

What an original thought, never posted before in this thread

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Where is Sir Radzig during the Finding Timmy part of the main quest, and does it actually matter if I report back like I said before actually, uh, finding Timmy? I think he said he'd be in Merhojed but I sure as poo poo can't find him.

Last time I failed to report back Bernard was threatening to hang me as a deserter and I don't wanna let papa Radzig down like that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Akion posted:

More dumb newbie questions:

1.) Do wayfarers respawn? Assuming I do so discreetly is there any penalty for robbing/murdering/knocking them unconcious?
2.) Bandit camps respawn, right? How often?
3.) Do the chests in peoples houses respawn?

Basically I want medieval murder-hobo simulator but I don't want to end up in an empty world. :(

I don't know about people's houses but merchants definitely respawn their stock. Their chests are insanely lucrative to chain rob. Helps that millers are the richest and most generous buyers in the land.

The little military camp northwest of Merjohed.

Thanks! It'd be nice if there was an optional compass marker for important characters like that. I bumped into Hans and Hanush in town and they both gave me cool quests but it is a pain to track them down if they aren't a current quest target.

Speaking of, I'm doing Hanush's vicar quest, and it is a flying shame that Godwin has no dialogue about it. That dude would definitely have something to say about a vicar who brags about torture moving in and taking over his parish.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ok, so I got to Viper's Nest, I think I scouted out All the Things because the game gave me a "report to Sir Radzig" objective that wasn't there when Henry had only scouted one or two things

try to fast travel

fast travel shoves me straight through the middle of the bad guy camp and I get beat down, time to reload.

Also I'd love if the rep system were more nuanced. It's weird having people I've never met go "AAAAH Henry's come to see us", it's weird for people I do know to be like "woah to what do I deserve the honour sir knight", etc

This game has so much flavour but also so much jank. I have high hopes for 2.

My pet peeve wishlist is for characters to change outfits. First of all, folks like Hans should have at least 3-4 outfits they change every day, and then anyone who can afford more than rags should put poo poo on when it's raining out. Hell, in this game I'd take "your armor degrades if you don't wear a cloak during rainstorms"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This is a really good idea since that mid-game plate armor really slows you down. :sweatdrop:

Yeah are people clanking around in full armour the whole time? I go lighter if I'm visiting town or riding around. As a bonus, it gives more incentive to try out different styles of dressup. I also like to keep two Skalitz Waffenfrocks and a red/yellow hood to swap out depending on how fancy I need to look, cuz I'm a nerd, plus a black/yellow hood for the parts where Henry claims to be repping Hanush.

Anyone else get the bug where halberds just accumulate in front of gates? It seems like the guards just drop them there or something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ok I just did baptism of fire and it is a drat flying shame you don't get the option to loot Runt. I wanted to claim his black armour as a trophy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm kind of surprised there's no mechanic to pull up your hood/put on a cloak, complete with armour degredation if you don't do so in the rain.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

Also this game really needs a hotkey to swap between outfit presets instead of dragging crap manually every time.

Yes please

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

This used to happen to me all the time, random dudes would come running out of the woods to ambush you - though you're almost definitely on your horse, so you have to turn around and go back to fight them - but now it no longer happens. I used to come across various shenanigans in the woods too, traders being attacked by bandits, Cumans fighting bandits/guards, but also haven't seen that in a long time.

I'm guessing a patch broke it, because I sure hope it isn't related to my now non-terrible skill levels.

This happens to me and I've only ever played the newest patch.

Also, Henry no longer shows up in the inventory screen. Help!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reposting, does anyone get the bug where Henry doesn't show up in the inventory? It's cramping my dressup vibes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thinking like this is what got us Oblivion after Morrowind...

Like, Bioware and Bethesda are still making games, why do you want to dumb this one down to their level?

Is this a real unironic post

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Equipment, especially armour, should be sortable by what slot it goes in

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sir Radzig has hussite sympathies and will eventually be stoned to death by a catholic mob.

Does anyone know what happens to the historical Hans? He died young but I can’t find poo poo that isn’t from this game about him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There are still self-proclaimed waldensians today. Although I guess there are also self-procalimed hellenic pagans and such so that isn’t exactly surprising.

KC2 needs to be Henry and Stephanie’s lovechild getting sent off to squire in Prague just in time for the Hussite Wars. Divish is a cool dude, he’d set up something decent for his wife’s bastard.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All lockpicking trqins stealth. You can get a level or two off of Peshek’s trainer chest.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are combos actually useful? I’ve been trying the same combo over and over on the dudes that want to kill Reeky. Inevitably what happens is me and Reeky die if I try combos but wipe the floor with them if I just block and facestab

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I feel like I’ve managed to avoid a lot of goon complaints and had more fun with this game by avoiding grinding or excessive looting. Not that that excuses the end game getting increasingly broken but it works for me. I’ve played a shitload of “steal and sell everything ever” in old rpgs like Morrowind and it’s more fun for me to be Good Guy Henry. I’ll claim stuff like swords and helms as trophies but I didn’t stagger out of Nest of Vipers with 1000lbs of crap to sell. I wish rpg devs would move away from looting enemies and stealing stuff being so easy and lucrative. I’d love an rpg like this where say, heisting the region’s richest swordsmith was a big thing you needed to build up to and plan, instead of being “level lockpicking, walk in, steal everything”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just got my first "fall through the floor to your death" bug. Which was double hilarious because I had been pursuing a rabbit that I watched disappear into thin air. Me and bunny died together.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaj posted:

Pro Tip, and or game is still first draft:

After you finish the prologue and get your skull cracked in Skalitz, head back to Talmberg. Your first horse, or for me, will be just standing there at the edge of the quarry on the road to Skalitz. Free horse before Pebbles.

If you jump the drawbridge it'll be waiting in Talmberg for you. Unfortunately I don't think you can use its inventory ever. It's a shame there's not a stolen cuman horse, either that one or another one, that was a proper horse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Will my Hans put his clothes back on?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ok I officially do not get the appeal of blunt weapons over swords.

Or why they though MASTE STRIKE wouldn’t the boringest thing but that’s different

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 30, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Group combat sucks, lock on system sucks, it's dumb as gently caress that I have to tank live five bandits while dumbass Ulrich fights them one at a time. Even if I stand there and watch him rush in, then turn tail and flee, I'll get five dudes chasing me while he melees the archer.

Combine that with locking on and MASSSSTERRRSTRIKE and perfect blocks and it turns into "mash shift to point your character in the correct direction for the next quick time event!"

Every idiot with a hunting sword is a god-tier blocker so there's no point trying to get a regular hit in

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Taintrunner posted:

I had the quest where you rob the convoy paying the rock quarry with your shitflinging friends, I manage to intercept them before they deliver the money and kill all 5 or 7 of them. The two blokes ride up, notice the trail of dead, and immediately run screaming to the closest guard, who is all the way around the road up the castle and inside the courtyard, screaming the same line over and over. All the guards come running out one by one to investigate while I’m following the two idiots. I can’t talk to them to turn in the quest until they make it all the way inside the castle to talk to the one guard left. Fritz finally does and I can talk to him, which I do. I tell him I’m keeping the money, so he attacks me, I kill him in self defense. His friend had already started walking back to his horse, who immediately aggros me as I’m walking out of the castle back to my horse, I kill him too in self defense and now I’m wanted for murder.

This game is impressively broken sometimes, I love it.

Why the gently caress would you kill Fritz and Matthew you monster

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imo the game is definitely worth playing on sale even with the old patch, but yeah the new patch is better. I don’t regret my purchase and I paid nearly full price.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Except no potato faces and random bandits will never don full suits of the game's best armor

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This is a game that definitely benefits if you roleplay in good faith, and especially if you avoid stealing/looting too much. Like most rpgs, stealing and/or killing and looting makes way more money than you could ofherwise get and all the gear you’d want can likewise be looted or stolen. And yeah it breaks if you try to grind out everything in tutorial village.

That’s a strike against the game, it ain’t players fault for doing what the game allows or encourages, but nothing is forcing you to break it, any more than Morrowind forced you to cycle fortify intelligence potions. There’s also mods that remove skill as a factor in damage which keeps combat scary for a lot longer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

precision posted:

Oh God, that Sir Hans DLC will probably be hilarious.

Between that and presumably a playable Theresa/actual end to her story I’m sold.

Siets posted:

The biggest thing I’m waiting on for this game is better performance. I get that it’s a gorgeous Cryengine game, but I get like 20 FPS in Rattay with a GTX 1080. poo poo shouldn’t be that poorly optimized. :mad:

I have an objectively shittier GPU than you but never get any fps issues on ultra, it’s all smooth sailing. There is something wonky with this game’s optimization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Since it's apparently not well-known, you can just sneakily untie Sir Hans in that mission and book it. The two Cumans are supposed to be a nigh-unsurmountable challenge.