Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah except every day we discover more and more female influence and participation in societies of past now that "white chauvinist rich men" aren't the only style of a historian publishing research. Naturally the role of men dominating society in many ways is true, but that is no reason why we can't have believeable and well-fitting female characters in games we deem realistic and historical. From Boudicca, Cleopatra, Theodora, to Katerina, we have plenty of leadership figures that are well known, and the rank and file surely had more female adventurers and warriors than just the ones we know now, but there might be a good reason why their stories weren't told. You know, with rich white chauvinist men being in charge in Europe and all. Can you imagine how interesting a game like Kingdom Come could be with a female character that faces opposition in every act and discussion she faces, and not only fights against sword and pike, but also the raging male supremacy of the time? That'd be pretty baller imho. There's also a really good argument made for giving minority and other-than-straight guys and gals the chance to identify with their characters, and not stomp all over games with sparkly clean straight white guys in the name of "biotruths and history" that don't seem to hold against closer observation anyway.

Ever heard of Makouraino? Matilda of Tuscany? Jeanne Hachette? loving Isabella of France? Queen Rudrama Devi? Blanche of Castile? Razia Sultana? Mercadera? Matilda of Boulogne?

I would be important to point out, that all these figures are women of wealth and upper class. Persons in position of powers and influential networks.

What if little Katina of Bushwack Ville, Bohemia never heard of these inspiring persons because like a lot of people in the lower classes, regardless of gender, she neither can write or read and only hears mostly gossip from the next bigger town?
Being a woman of low class in a medival simulation can be a terrifying experience.

I like your pitched game concept, but the execution would face so many gameplay problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Think of social stats in old tabletop roleplay games. Start out as a daughter or wife of a peasant farmer. Your lord owns your land and you can't leave. You have to decide if you want to flee to the uprising new cities, to get rid of your bonds ("Stadtluft macht frei.")and be a low wage pauper or join the local peasant rebellion, which will be brutally beaten down by the troops of the local lord. Getting ambushed and raped by local bandits in the woods in this time of strife as optional horror encounter.
I admit i exaggerated the gruesome setting a bit.

An interesting experience, but not fun for most "power fantasy" players.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

ah yes, the popular "everyone was constantly raped" idea of the past. big fan of game of thrones here huh

I apologize. I was aware it is a cheap "grimdark medival age" trope.

I wonder if i could write in a catch-22 and the city, you try to flee to, is ridden by the bubonic plague. :getin:

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 9, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

gasman posted:

Yea, that's... I don't know.
:same:

I guess they go for some eastern european humor in the trailer and in the game itself (intense metabolsim mechanics).

I don't know, if this can be charming in its own way... or just a very eastern european game i don't get.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 9, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Captain Oblivious posted:

Even this is an oversimplification. Yes, the women of wealth and status are the most commonly known examples but every year we turn up new and compelling evidence that female participation in society was greater than we have been led to believe by our primarily male historical forbears. A good example is Japan, we typically take for granted the assumption that the "modernizing" influence of the Meiji government meant that women were overall, if still subordinate, doing better than they were than in the "backwards" Tokugawa period. Recent studies suggest that is in fact not the case, and that non-high status women actually enjoyed greater ability to head households/control land and assets in the Tokugawa period than in the overtly patriarchal, yet modernized, Meiji regime.

History is full of these kinds of contradictions and exceptions to broad social trends and we're finding more as time goes on.

And i would agree with you. Historical documentation can be either highly perceptive or does just barely exist. Robert Fossier, a french historian, laments in his book "Cens gens Moyen Âge" that he would like to tell more about the common people in the medival age, but lacks sources. They are not a lot of documents left, when those common people couldn't write themselves. (Or pay someone to do it for them.)

But i at the same time i sometimes don't understand a certain group, who thinks every game should have a strong female lead (at worst: the perfect waifu), that fight the evil (white heterosexual) patriarchy.
I like the concept (Horizon: Zero Dawn may be a good example?), but don't cry when a game does not offer a female lead.

KC:D looks like a sausage fest. At worst some misogynistic medieval ages simulator. At best "camping trip with the lads" experience (including taking dump in the woods and drinking yourself into stupor).

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 10, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

the character design in this game is pretty bad compared to other historical games like dynasty warriors

I love all those ugly mugs. I have the highest exspectations for the medieval dress up part.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

KyloWinter posted:

The sword was still really important. You would still carry it the same way people cc pistols. You have your pistol in war too but really you are mainly using an AR or whatever. I'm assuming in this game you aren't rolling around in the army most of the game but I have no idea.

HEMA focuses on reading and understanding the fighting manuscripts we have. In that understanding the fighting is practiced and competed in. Most of the HEMA competition is styled after the judicial duel which, as far as I understand, if you weren't a noble you would be mostly unarmored with a longsword or sword and buckler or whatever. HEMA is valid insofar as people are actually attempting the athletics and martial pursuits that we have available to us. Through that training a greater sense of understanding of the techniques is available to us as opposed to just reading and trying to imagine how they might work as some of them aren't immediately apparent why they are useful.

As far as this game goes the types of melee weapons that would be in use around this time period would be a variety of polearms, spears, pikes, lances, pollaxes, maces, staves, longswords, arming swords, langes messers, daggers etc etc etc etc like shitloads of things. Armor would be gambeson, maile, plate, different helmets like bascinet, sallet maybe. Whoever said swords aren't sharp is wrong as hell, swords aren't steel clubs. Also swords cut. Some are better at cutting some are better at thrusting but the swords of this period can do both to varying degrees. Oh also wrestling is your standard unarmed fighting style since everyone you would fight would have a dagger.

maybe i made all this up tho get owned
I guess when most people read "cutting", they think if sharp kitchen knives. Which would be indeed wrong. The sword edge this sharp would to brittle and go blunt very easily. But a swung sword would still be sharp enough to split a fruit (or head) and not simply crush them.

Anyway.

As long as combat doesn't boil down to silly i-frame abuse or combo meters, i am sold. And slow as molasses, (like Dark Souls 1). I hate twitchy melee games.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

I kind of agree with that "man in agony" on the cover. Swords - how do they even work?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Skoll posted:

Having a Nordic themed tattoo, I feel that pain ever so acutely.

What the hell is a "Nordic themed" tattoo? Horned helmets and skulls, some pseudo runic script or your favourite Skyrim waifu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

VanillaGorilla posted:

It is a little hosed up that the "Courtship" quest for Theresa apparently just....ends...after you have sex. Theresa is a ride or die lady, I kinda wanted her and Henry to have an actual relationship? The achievements being tied to sleeping with people is also kinda on the nose.

It sends a pretty hosed up message, anyway.

I wouldn't call Bioware romances more sophisticated.

In every video game the definition of "romance" is (getting) hosed.