Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

So far the game runs pretty well on my 6 year old PC and it seems pretty great. Combat is a bit janky but it's better than Skyrim of course. Game design is somewhat old school 'gently caress you get better' but I like what I've seen so far. It definitely won't appeal to everyone so middle scores from reviewers seems fair, but overall it's a good first impression.

Small prologue spoiler when you get to the part where you have to get a horse and ride to Tamberg, it looks like you can try to save the people in the house. I just stole a horse and rode off but a conversation later made it seem like you could have saved the people from the Cumans, so give it a shot I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I thought the whole thing about people responding to how you're dressed was going to be a bit of a gimmick, but it is pretty interesting when you finally get a full suit of mail with some brigantine and you get all cleaned up and then start going around yelling at peasants. It's also nice when your reputation goes up and everywhere I go it's "Hallo Heinrich!"

If you're having trouble with combat, buy the longsword named Piercer at the Rattay swordsmith, it's amazing. You can thrust pretty rapidly and most lightly armored opponents go down after 2 or 3 pokes with that thing. Armored dudes are still tough but at least if you stab down the lightly armored guys first then you don't have to worry about getting stabbed in the back.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What are the best perks and the worst perks and is there any way to respec

I picked the perk to make my horse go faster at the expense of carry weight and boy was that a bad choice. I really hope there's a way to respec.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Man, you can really go from 0-100 quick in this game. I don't think I'm that far in the main quest (just finished that whole Neuhof bandits line of quests) but I've got full plate and that Becephalus horse with an awesome saddle and everything. You can get filthy rich just doing the bandit camp side quests and then looting the dead bandits and selling their gear. Cuman ambushes are pretty terrifying at first but once you've killed a couple and taken their armor it gets much easier.

I don't think I can go back to longswords after starting to use a mace with a shield. I was fighting some guy wearing plate except it turned out he wasn't wearing a helmet, so after a short duel of him pummeling me and me ineffectively trying to hit him, I landed a lucky shot to the side of his head and he dropped dead. And the mercy kill animation + sound effect is just great.

It looks like they wanted to include spears in the game but it didn't make the cut. Captain Robard offers you Polearm training instead of Mace training, but when you use it you don't actually learn anything. I also found a spear on a dead bandit but I couldn't equip it, although it said it did 117 damage in the inventory screen.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I want to use maces instead of swords, but are maces hard to come by?

Fortunately I don't see many bandits using them, but you can get some good maces at the weaponsmith in Rattay.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Jusupov posted:

Do you get this every time you satisfy your needs? Third female from a quest and I only now noticed it

Yeah it actually makes getting the happy ending at bathhouses a valid choice before going out on a quest that might require speech checks. I'm surprised there's no VD in the game since it seems to have everything else.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

^^ Only when you try to sell them

Bondematt posted:

So how open is the story?

Can I just roam around and mount and blade it up after a certain point, or are there just a few branching paths?

Each individual quest is usually a bit open-ended in terms of how you solve it, but there's no major branching paths that I've seen so far. You are free to stop doing the main quest and just do side quests or go poaching/thieving for a while. As soon as the prologue ends the whole world opens up for you to explore (but you should do the main quest until Neuhof).

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hey, what's the consensus pick for Good Horse from Neuhof -- Bucephalus, the Arabian, or some other?

Bucephalus has the most carrying capacity and the other stats are all pretty good as well, the stamina is low but you're rarely going to notice that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Diogines posted:

Diversifies the game world by making Cpt.Bernard an african-american

I'm sure the mod author did that on purpose but it always cracks me up when somebody is trying to be super PC and refers to black people as African Americans when they are clearly not from America.