Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Doorknob Slobber posted:

who the gently caress wants to poop in a game when its like the most boring part of real life unless you have a nintendo switch

its the highlight of my day

also diversity to gamers is black people and a female lead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

he's kind of a lovely writer, probably would do well writing for bloomberg

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

it's really weird hearing people talk about a place 600 years ago as "my culture" as if it's some static thing that never changes

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Rookersh posted:

Also getting into weapon talk/historical accuracy, nothing I've seen so far of the gameplay reads historically accurate. Swords are for thrusting, you would almost never slash with a sword. This was the age of pike and crossbow, turning into the age of gun. You'd really start to see guns showing up among the nobility, and basically everyone would be given a spear/pike or a crossbow. This was the deathknell of "knights" ( even though knights are rarely what we envision them as ), because any rando fucker can pick up a spear/pike or use a crossbow and kill them pretty easily. It's the age when we started seeing real actual militaries again, built up off the backs of the lower classes. The idea of a dude wandering around the countryside with a sword and a shield picking fights with other people is kind of silly. The idea of a large scale battle built around lots of guys using sword and shields still in 1402 is downright wrong.

are you sure you aren't thinking of 1502. agincourt was 1415

barkbell fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2018 around 03:36

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ive only seen the trailer so i dunno if there are big battles or what but you would definitely have swords that cut employed in non military fashion. the only fighting in the trailer was fighting some bandits, tournament fighting, etc. langes messer and longsword should still be popular in the hre and the rapier hadnt developed yet.

e: watching it again i guess there are some cinema shots of the armies so i dunno what this game is about i guess

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

The sword was still really important. You would still carry it the same way people cc pistols. You have your pistol in war too but really you are mainly using an AR or whatever. I'm assuming in this game you aren't rolling around in the army most of the game but I have no idea.

HEMA focuses on reading and understanding the fighting manuscripts we have. In that understanding the fighting is practiced and competed in. Most of the HEMA competition is styled after the judicial duel which, as far as I understand, if you weren't a noble you would be mostly unarmored with a longsword or sword and buckler or whatever. HEMA is valid insofar as people are actually attempting the athletics and martial pursuits that we have available to us. Through that training a greater sense of understanding of the techniques is available to us as opposed to just reading and trying to imagine how they might work as some of them aren't immediately apparent why they are useful.

As far as this game goes the types of melee weapons that would be in use around this time period would be a variety of polearms, spears, pikes, lances, pollaxes, maces, staves, longswords, arming swords, langes messers, daggers etc etc etc etc like shitloads of things. Armor would be gambeson, maile, plate, different helmets like bascinet, sallet maybe. Whoever said swords aren't sharp is wrong as hell, swords aren't steel clubs. Also swords cut. Some are better at cutting some are better at thrusting but the swords of this period can do both to varying degrees. Oh also wrestling is your standard unarmed fighting style since everyone you would fight would have a dagger.

maybe i made all this up tho get owned

barkbell fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2018 around 13:38

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Also HEMA seems to have a bigger problem with white nationalists and Nazis more than other club things

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Sure you normally wouldnít have some 15 degree edge angle like some Japanese chef knife but you can be sure the edge angle they did choose would be as sharp as that angle would allow. You would definitely resharpen after a fight. Just because the edge takes some nicks and burrs a bit and blunts doesnít mean you donít want it as sharp as possible for each fight.

E: the biggest thing with these medieval combat games like for honor and dark souls is all the strikes are so slow. No games really approach how quickly a strike would be.

barkbell fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2018 around 16:57

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Tonetta posted:

if pooping doesn't feel good, change your diet

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

found a video of combat and it looks pretty janky

e: no single time fencing or binding

barkbell fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2018 around 14:29

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

this game looks worse than i thought

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Maybe donít advertise your game as having sick rear end combat then

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Looks like everyone gonna be a stealth archer

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Because the swordplay sucks

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Hi, Iím an historian for the Middle Ages and HEMA veteran.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Rad Russian posted:

Was your PhD in Moorish migration patterns throughout Bohemian villages with population of less than 500 people in the early 1400s? If not, GTFO of this thread.

Yes. I am currently teaching a 200 level course on the demographic genocide of the Bohemians caused by this.

iGestalt posted:

What was literacy like in 15th century Bohemia, if you happen toknow? Legit curious, since it came up earlier in this thread in a round about way.

No one knew how to read before the Gutenberg press. All knowledge was divined through the medium to god, the clergy, as we understood the world in a metaphorical way and not a rational one.

gasman posted:

How do you poop in plate armour?

The same way you would poop in any armor. As an armored person one would not be wearing any pants so it is impossible to poop oneís pants.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

iGestalt posted:

Cool - I expected as much. Why is it that "Historical Games" never actually do research outside the surface area? I know the point has been made about the choice not to include peoples of an ethnic minority (within Bohemia in 15th century) but eeeh. Also the whole "night is super dark" thing is dumb. Night would've, surely, not been super dark as there wouldn't be remotely as much light pollution?

Without moonlight night is really dark. Even with some moonlight it is still really dark. Light pollution makes things brighter. Leave your houses goons.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Light pollution pollutes the light so itís darker you see.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Made me laugh because I just found out about that SJW advocating the games racist for not having black people in 15th century bohemia.

ya black people didnt exist rofl

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

xXWehrabooXx posted:

I disagree. The only moral duty a game developer has is to develop a game where the value is greater or equal to the price the consumer pays. The player should vote with their wallet whether or not they are willing to pay more diversity in their games, if players do value diversity, then games with more diversity will do better and more studios will make games which features more diversity. Most of these people complaining about diversity in video games don't even play the loving game and do nothing more than make the developers waste resources which is passed onto the buyer.

Just let the studios do whatever the gently caress they want and let the free market decide whether or not they succeed.

hahaha games goons

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

xXWehrabooXx posted:

But is it really?
It's set in the middle of buttfuck nowhere in Bohemia in the 1400s. Yes, there are traders of color; no, there aren't many of them, especially in middle of buttfuck nowhere. Even though Bohemia is a major trade centre of the HRE, it wouldn't make sense for a merchant from North Africa or Turkey to travel all the way inland when they can sell their goods at a port or another trading centre much earlier since travelling on land is very slow and travelling far inland would mean that they would take much longer to travel back, giving them a lower profit rate while increasing the risk.
The big question is it really worth the development resources to capture a statistically insignificant population?
Even if you want it, I doubt most of the playerbase would care enough to pay extra.

What was your thesis on?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

xXWehrabooXx posted:

But is it really?
It's set in the middle of buttfuck nowhere in Bohemia in the 1400s. Yes, there are traders of color; no, there aren't many of them, especially in middle of buttfuck nowhere. Even though Bohemia is a major trade centre of the HRE, it wouldn't make sense for a merchant from North Africa or Turkey to travel all the way inland when they can sell their goods at a port or another trading centre much earlier since travelling on land is very slow and travelling far inland would mean that they would take much longer to travel back, giving them a lower profit rate while increasing the risk.
The big question is it really worth the development resources to capture a statistically insignificant population?
Even if you want it, I doubt most of the playerbase would care enough to pay extra.

drat. I didn't realize making a black npc took up more development resources than making a white npc

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

xXWehrabooXx posted:

wtf what do you mean that other people don't want to pay for things I want to pay for?

Ya you donít want development dollars going towards minority textures. Got it. Rofl.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Scott Forstall posted:

Im a few hours in and enjoying it. Matching most others, itís jank but Iím having fun. It could use some patches and mods. For my $40, Iím satisfied

Where did you find it for 40

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

game is real bad and lags every 20 seconds for at least 2 seconds gg

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

how do you wrestle and throw

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

charms posted:

This game is the living proof that leftism isn't conductive to good games. Look at Mass Effect: Andromeda. Look at Wolfenstein: The New Colossus. The games were so poo poo even SJWs dropped them. No one in their right mind defends them. Meanwhile, this game, made for the honest conservative gamer, despite some flaws it has, is selling like hot cakes. We are in the middle of a paradigm shift. This is no longer the industry for spoiled little SJWs. It took three years, but we finally won. I know we're going through a harsh liberal media raid right now pretending this game is bad, but stay strong, they're just desperate because they realize this is their last stand.

Anita Sarkeesian will be a penniless slut sucking dicks for meals within the year.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

The penis is built for sword fighting if you know what I mean

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's little cool things you notice, like I was travelling through a forest, noticed a broken down cart on the side, found a bandit camp 50/60 yards from the road, killed two bandits and the other one shouted about 'sound the alarm'. Turns out there was another camp further up the hill.

Once you get quiet/silent shoes it does make sneaking up and knifing people a lot easier.

Do you want higher or lower number on the shoes for sound

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

What are the stat requirements on weapons for? It seems like I can still use them.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

How do I figure out the horses' names. All it says when I inspect the horse is "horse." This makes buying them a roll of the dice.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is the good poo poo, added it to my guide here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=1305878776

Watch this dudeís series of videos if you are struggling with the gameís combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6KPdpdDkQ

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

You will only struggle if you are relying on your good armor to win fights. If you are getting countered and opened up over and over you need to rethink your strategy.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

FYI if you are having trouble with combos you don't need to input all the directions. Just start the combo in the correct direction and press stab or slash at the right timings. The game will automatically input the correct directions.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

So I guess my game bugged out and won't let me save anymore. I really don't want to lose 2 hours of progress. Guess I'm just keeping the game open until I beat it or I lose interest.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Oops nevermind I guess the game crashed and decided I have to replay that bullshit pestilence thing again

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Major Isoor posted:

That being said, there is actually a bug that prevents you from saving more than ~300 times. You need to load your save, go into your Windows profile, delete all the saves from the KCD folder, then alt+tab back in and save again, which will put you back to save #1.

There's no way I have 300 saves. It's like save 60. It wouldn't save after any quest, sleep, or let me even use a potion.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

wizard on a water slide posted:

Games definitely have a tendency to overuse/overpower it, but there were historically and are still various two-weapon styles of martial arts, and a long tradition in European fencing in particular of exactly what that guy was asking if you could do (mainhand sword, offhand dagger)

It should be a risky option for players who wanna live dangerously and show off

You can have a sword in one hand and a shield in the other. Which is the main form of dual wielding in this time

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Can I not buy warhose jenda or any horses from that seller after the pestilence quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

How do I get Matthias up? Or does he just lay here the rest of the game and I canít buy a horse from him?

«2 »