Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Holy poo poo this game rules.

It really reminds me of the older, really deep RPGs from the olden days. :corsair:

The most recent game it reminds me of is Morrowind: I am so stoked to finally be in a game where the NPCs are playing the same game as I am. It feels like the took the background sim and stats-interactions from a game like CK2 or Rimworld and shoved it into a Witcher/Skyrim action-rpg. I am even digging the lovely UI and the random, bizarre animations: the kind of rough corners that say "we spent all our time on the simulation."

I think I am still pretty early in: finally started learning to read when I made it to Uhzhitz trying to solve a murder. I'll be interested to see how reactive the quests are, there have been a few times where I think an NPC may have survived or had a different outcome if I hadn't spent so much time courting the Mill Wench.
:grin:

I love how difficult combat feels, how helpless you are at the start, and how I feel like I am getting better with actual practice and combat. The lockpicking minigame is a fun new take, though I totally get how some people wouldn't like it. Best QOL improvement I would like to see at this point is a cursor dot for directing strikes: kind of difficult for me to get the hang of it with the mouse. Seems like it would be much more intuitive with a gamepad but gently caress that noise. :pcgaming:

Anywho, life as a peasant is dope as gently caress and I am having a great time exploring a really well-crafted world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

precision posted:

Click R3 to cycle targets.

agree with all of this, it makes me feel like Ultima 7 did

edit: simple piece of advice that helped me with lockpicking: there's a hidden sort of time limit, when the videos say "keep moving the stick" they mean it; if you go too slow, even if you stay in the sweet spot 100% of the time, the pick still breaks.

Also, with lockpicking on PC: circle-spiral the pick around to find the center of the golden spot. The g-spot ( :heysexy: ) is actually pretty large, and being at the center helps when it starts wobbling around at the end of the turn.

Also the reading mini game: holy gently caress that is so clever! :eng101:

I hope enough people buy this that we get a new area or Prague or another game: gently caress it, don't care! :homebrew:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Major Isoor posted:

By the way, can someone explain combos to me? I've been holding off on getting any combos (I use a longsword and mace, if that impacts which ones I should get) since the game doesn't seem to explain performing them, anywhere.
Like, am I meant to perform all the clicks for slashes/stabs rapidly, or should I be waiting until each blow lands (or is blocked) before performing the next?

beggar posted:

You want to execute the next input when the previous strike lands. The windows are kind of funny though and I feel like I am attempting the stab-left-low right combo more than I am actually landing it and getting the different animation

Yeah, just got combos and Do Not Understand. I fought with Sir Bernard for 20 minutes and only (accidentally) performed one combo before the training scenario just ended. Guess Sir B got tired of my bullshit. Every time I would screw up, he'd start to talk but is always interrupted by my second blow.

Do I strike at the clang when the weapon connects? I see the next direction arrow flash, but do I click at the flash or the clang? I've never seen a third flash...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Holy poo poo: just scouted the bandit camp north of Talmberg for Sir Radzig, and hot drat that was tough poo poo! I almost caved and got the unlimited save mod, but managed to complete without turning to the dark side.

There was about an hour of me trying to get a sentry by himself so I could knock him out and steal his uniform, where I would either fail the takedown and get murdered or another guard would wander by and catch me. Finally getting it done was worth a Schnapps!

The atmosphere on this quest was amazing: the lighting and sound design are top notch! Sneaking around at night, in the rain, avoiding the torchlight was tense and gave me some good Theif flashbacks! Pro tip: when approaching a guard a night, always sneak up from the line of his shadow.

Also, died at least 6 times trying to run away through the woods on horseback. Another pro tip: have your torch out when riding at night.

Did get my first real bug: I managed to sneak into the camp, passed all of the speech checks, then poisoned the food and burned the arrows without being seen, which is perfect completion afaik, and when I got on my horse to ride out my dude just looked straight up into the sky and began spinning in place. Had a reload, which lost not only about a half hour's worth of work, but about six-tries worth of luck. Considering the horror stories: I'll be counting my blessings and buying a lottery ticket.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

:aaaaa:
I forgot to comment on this earlier, but hot drat! That is loving amazing! I heard they used satellite imagery to build the terrain, and I have to say this feels more like a ~real place~ than any other game I've played. The landscape of Witcher 3 is beautiful and stark, but the landscape in KC:D puts the former Gold Standard almost to shame. It was mentioned in one of the reviews of the game, but their attention to detail and the many nods to realism have made the gritty reality of 1403 Bohemia feel more fantastical than any fantasy game.

Charlz Guybon posted:

They sold 500,000 copies in the first two days, so a sequel seems assured.

I have visited the Castle of Prague and it is awesome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Castle

It's too bad the Sedlec Ossary isn't all skeleton'd up yet, but maybe they could fudge the dates on that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

Yeah, the city was walled in, so it creates a tight playzone for a DLC, and Prague Castle itself was abandoned during the Hussite Rebellions (spoiler alert for anyone who goes drinking with the priest in Uzhitz: they can totally burn a university professor at the stake), so there is certainly an interesting story to tell there. Pretty sure the Pope even declared a Crusade against the locals, so there's all sorts of fun to be had!

Also, :lol: at the last few pages:

Knobb Manwich posted:

If you're seriously saying "game mustn't be buggy because I personally haven't experienced a bug" you should probably stop. Maybe offer a prayer of thanks or buy a lottery ticket. My favourite trivial bug so far was stealth killing a sleeping guy, getting discovered and having to running away and fight the pursuers for a few minutes. Then I came back, went to loot the dead guy and found another dude sleeping on the body.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Idk what you want to hear but I haven’t had any bugs/graphical glitches. I even went toward a bush and started hump jumping into it trying to get stuck. I’ve been murdering randoms and seeing if I get weird Criminal tags but nope. The only thing I’ve noticed which may have been related to a bug is getting horrible rep in Rattay after killing some wayfarers out in the woods where there was nobody else around. But I was also robbing the gently caress out of everything at the start. And I accidentally tried to pickpocket the sword merchant right to his face and got chased out of town, I was like over an hour from my last save so I just waited around for them to forget.

MiddleOne posted:

You're an idiot. It is completely possible both for you to have a bug-free experience and for others to not have one.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I was just teasing that autist that got mad about me saying the bugs aren’t that bad. Also, those are minimal requirements dummy. As in “here’s what you have to have in order to have the bottom of the barrel experience playing this game.” Look at the recommended hw.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Hi, I have a plenty modern processor and a 1070 and I've still run into plenty of bugs that have nothing to do with performance. For example, I purchased permanent access to an inn room outside of Rattay and now the door to the room simply doesn't function anymore. Similarly, I've run into situations where the NPC scripting just starts to break down - for example, if I attempted to non-lethally solve the "witches" quest in Uzhitz, the encounter scripting would just break and you'd get stuck.

Similarly, plenty of people have pointed out that collision detection on stairs is pretty hosed. I've gotten Henry stuck in plenty of places just trying to move around normally.

None of that has poo poo to do with your build. I like the game but let's not pretend that it's surprising that a small-studio produced a super-buggy open world game. It's a tough thing to do.

I made this for the E:D thread but I guess we should have it here, too.

Charlz Guybon posted:

A 19 year old that's been training to be a blacksmith since he turned 12 or whatever should not be noodly armed. Guy should be pretty drat muscular, especially in the upper body.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My Henry has been slacking off in the tavern that whole time

I think in both cases he would looks more like this, which is, at the very least, noodly armed (singular):

The Lone Badger posted:

Is sparring/training locked out until I finish the Ginger quest?

Pretty sure you can do it any time after the first session with Bernard, you just have to ask. Be warned: he will teleport you back to Rattay to do this.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Soarer posted:

So I'm riding along the road and just as it's getting dark I end up passing a camp. I figure I'll stop for the night and pull over. In the camp there is a chest so I check it out. Turns out it's loaded!

... so I guess I'm pretty set now...

Also it says "steal" but none of it is actually marked stolen after I took it.

Word on the street is that is an end game chest that is supposed to be locked until you finish the main quest.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
How do I rent a room? Do you have to do some quest first or have a certain rep level? None of the Innkeepers I've spoken to have any dialogue options for renting, just "About Rattay," trade, and End Dialogue. :confused:

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Throughout the mission the Captain yells at you if you do anything without letting him know first. If you do keep reporting back to him he’ll send a guard with you to the dying bandt and his friend in the woods. And if you find the two guys hunting ginger, run away and and report back, you can ask him for a hand and he’ll teleport you, himself and three Rattray Guards to their camp and shred them himself. Bernard is a beast.

Is that the group of dudes who jump you after talking to Timmy's sister at the windmill? I tried to fight all 4 of them, first time I drew my sword because I didn't notice they were just using fists. Me pulling the sword got all of them to draw and I was promptly murdered. Next time I tried boxing and was beaten unconscious multiple times before they ran off and I got a journal entry saying, essentially, that they beat Henry senseless but he didn't give up the goods.

beefart posted:

I have a love hate relationship with this game. Like, the combat is infuriating and extremely satisfying in equal measure, and I can live with frame rate lockups in Rattay every 2 seconds because the rest of the game world is goddamn beautiful.

I’m sure people have talked about this to death in the last 50 pages, but what the hell is with that bathhouse sequence in Rattay? Did Czechs really bathe fully clothed in the 1400s? I mean, considering that there’s a quest later where you get shitfaced with a debauched priest and get your gently caress on like 5 feet from and his lady, it’s just goofy that you bathe in shirt and pants.

Pretty sure that's just an easy way to avoid nudity, but knowing the Middle Ages, that kind of modesty wouldn't totally surprise me.

SeaWolf posted:

Trip Report:

So i went hunting east of Uzice to work on my bow skillz and killed a couple bucks and hares... but after i cooked them all outside town to avoid the poaching penalty and went back in to the trader and grocers and I still had plenty of meat to go back to Talmberk on a gallop to sell the rest.. or so I thought. The poor rear end 'trader' had practically no groschen on him so I said gently caress it, let's ride back to Rataje on the most direct path possible before nightfall. Can't fast travel because I've overloaded poor Pebbles and I'm still overloaded myself so we're gallopping all the way towards the marker. OOPS!!!! I forgot I finished the bandit quests for Cpt. Bernard and I'm on the bandit camps for Robard... and I ride right into the patrol for the camp I'm supposed to eliminate for him.

loving Cumans unhorse me when I ride right into them without even realizing it. Their archer fires an arrow into poor Pebbles and I'm thrown from the saddle! poo poo... got to drop all the cooked meat I'm carrying. That's a good 500 groshcen right there!! It's 3 of them and that archer against me. They keep outflanking me and I know I'm not going to win with a stab here and there against each one of them even in my brand new brigandier armor from the noble wayfaring knight I rematched and defeated for his armor!

I turn tail and run. I have enough stamina to call Pebbles back to me and ride enough away to corner one of the Cumans. I shoot a few arrows in haste at him, missing each shot. He unhorses me again when he sprints up to me striking me 3 times knocking my stamina to nothing.
Kurva!!! I circle him preparing to block; out of breath waiting for the strike that takes me down. But I'm armored, I can take his lovely slashes against my plate and mail. He kicks me to the ground and I get up, parry his strike and stab at his head. He falters and I see my opportunity to strike. I slash at his unprotected shoulder and stab into his back when he cowers and covers the strike. I slay the heathen as he writhes on the ground and narrowly dodge and arrow from his archer compatriot who has finally managed to catch up to me.
The sky opens up, rain and lightning as if The Lord was angry with the events transpiring around me. I sprint towards him, bleeding and hurt and slash at him with all my might. In a blind rage just slashing and stabbing until he falls... until well after he falls. But in my raging sprint he's managed to lodge an arrow past my mail into my neck, I can no longer see to my right. I wheel to around to my left just as another member of the patrol falls on me and I flee as fast as I can along the road, back towards the town as fast as I can. No time to call Pebbles, I must flee on my own, my health failing me, I stumble onto the outskirts of the village just as dusk settles and I am saved by the townsmen who come rushing to my aid to take on this fully armored Cuman heathen while I gather myself and pummel him with attacks while the townspeople bludgeon him. I make my final strike and slay the whorechild. Success!! This bastard was the leader of the camp, who refused to give up the chase and paid dearly with his life. I call Pebbles over, tired and hurt. I mount the saddle and saunter slowly towards the gates of Rataje where I stumble into a bed, hurt and bleeding. Victory is mine!!! And a save... Jesus be praised O_O

edit: OK now I'm loving annoyed. I didn't get to save, I'm 'still in combat' according to the game even though I've ridden to the inn at the glade... couldn't do poo poo and then gallopped to neuhof and then back to rattay and I'm still 'in combat' so i can't loving save and now I've fallen into the moat and am completely stuck. I am really pissed that this epic battle and all my skilling up is going to be for nothing if i have to reload my last save from 2 hours ago. this is REALLY loving annoying.

edit2: aaaaand the game just crashed. That loving sucks. Worst game breaking bug EVAR. And I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't have anything to do with this. Jesus be praised.
I haven't been this pissed off at a game in a very, very long time. Not even Bethesda bugginess is this much of a dick punch

That story was awesome with a :smith: ending.

precision posted:

I would pay money for a pack of alternate intro videos. On a base PS4 it plays the entire thing every time.

Luckily all the other loading times are nice and short, if this version had the 3 second black screen for conversations that people have mentioned it'd drive me sideways. It's only 1 second or less for me.

Eww, that sucks, but it may be the loading time. On PC, with my SSD, I can skip the intro movie after ~3 seconds and go straight to the main menu screen.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tei posted:

Weird poo poo:

Everyone in Ratay pretend to knows me and salute me "Hey Henry!", is all "hello henry", "hey henry". It make me feel weird, I like to have a low profile, and I am not stranger to steal people property. Having everyone to know me by name make it harder.

I wonder why people is so happy to know me. All I did was that one hunt with the local rear end in a top hat noble, and helped some people get a job.

To put that another way: you saved the little lordling and future governor, as an unskilled whelp, and got everyone jobs, helping the refugee problem. Some pretty hero-level poo poo for a peasant and newcomer, the whole town would be buzzing.
:black101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Holy crap, you guys: you cook the poached meat UNDER the pot and make it legal. Every trader is rekt of grosh and the peasants will feast for days!

I'm rich, bitch! :homebrew:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mondian posted:

Starting to regret that time training with Bernard. Really hard to subdue people and bring them in for police quests when you're almost guaranteed to one-shot them off your first riposte.

Get a bat, instead! :eng101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

taels posted:

Kingdom come: chiggity czech yo'self before you wreck yo'self

Hahaha! mods please change tia

HORMELCHILI posted:

two questions:
is there a way to lock onto a fleeing enemy from horseback so i can club the back of his head with a spiked mace?

how do i stop/kill the bandits that surrender before they start sprinting away from me? im tired of the guy with the key getting away and being unable to loot the bandit camp chest

Hit them more/faster. Alternatively, take the Sir Gregor method and ride them down! :black101:

muscles like this! posted:

Where the hell does Hans go in the hunting main story quest? I have the search area but he doesn't seem to be around.

Also I ran into a weird bug doing the quest where you patrol Rattay where you play dice with Nightingale. If I won it wouldn't advance the story and he would just sit there. I tried to let him win but he sucks at the game and would just constantly bust. I ended up just quitting the game and that let it go forward.

That sucks, I beat him with no issues. If quitting worked I'd just run with that. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

taels posted:

I left for the woods, with my bow and three arrows.
I have claimed my first two kills...

A doe my first conquest

Laying out sacrifice for my foul moon god of the hump

As I leave with my 76 virginsvenison I see a greater more ferocious beast!

360 nighttime noscope

IM A MAN NOW

edit: gently caress im an idiot damaged by years of stuffs and things, the whole point of this was to ask how i can best make bank off this 162 venison since it's going to take me literal hours to walk home with.

COOK IT AND SELL THAT poo poo, BRUH! :c00lbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

taels posted:

I cooked the hare and venison, but I all I got was "cooked hair meet, cooked venison". Do you need the appropriate perks to get more than that when cooking raw meat>?

Go to any cooking pot, look at the fire underneath it, and you should get a Cook Food option. Cooking it makes it legal again and you can sell it to any merchant that will buy it.

Tumble posted:

How's the gore? Is this game bloody as gently caress?

Definitely worthy of the M-rating. Blood coats armor and clothing, there are scenes depicting murders or other slayings, but there isn't any active dismemberment by the player as far as I have seen. You can't go around chopping limbs and heads off.

Anybody: is there a combo tutorial online? I cannot figure this out. I've tried clicking before the strike, just after the strike, at the moment the strike is audible, but nothing will get me a combo. What is the specific moment to press the slash button again? Do I have to hold the button down? Do I have to press two buttons simultaneously like a reposte? I've tried the training event with Bernard dozens of times, and after 20 or so attempts it just completes the objective when I hit him once, never having completed a combo. I still haven't learned how to combo.
:smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

This is a pretty basic question but are you making sure to change where you're aiming?

Trying to, yes, but the game seems to automatically choose the next swing if you press the attack button quickly enough. I see the direction arrow flash for the next attack in the combo, I try to move the mouse in that direction and press attack when my weapon clangs from the strike. I have only purchased short sword combo perks, and am using a short sword and shield.

In the training event you get a long sword, and it's supposed to be upper swing, upper right, then a lower swing. If I wait until the clang, the game has me do an uppercut for the second swing, instead of down from the upper right. So I'll attack from straight up to start the combo, but then another attack press makes me swing from below.

When are you supposed to press the attack button the second and third time? When the game flashes the next direction arrow (before the strike), exactly when the weapon connects (when it clangs), or after that? Because I have tried all three and it doesn't matter whether I change the attack direction or let the game do it: my second strike is never both 1) from the correct direction and 2) at the correct time to be a combo. My stats still say I have only done 1 combo, despite completing the training event a few dozen times.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mondian posted:

For most of history a knight was just an armored fighting man, it wasn't until much later it became an honorary title that distinguished you as not a peer, but at least not a filthy commoner. Even then I don't believe it came with land though. Also, all the people calling you a knight are peasants, they don't know any better anyway

I think during this period knights were almost exclusively from the nobility, with a few highly skilled peasants thrown in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight#Knightly_culture_in_the_Middle_Ages

quote:

The institution of knights was already well-established by the 10th century. While the knight was essentially a title denoting a military office, the term could also be used for positions of higher nobility such as landholders. The higher nobles grant the vassals their portions of land (fiefs) in return for their loyalty, protection, and service. The nobles also provided their knights with necessities, such as lodging, food, armour, weapons, horses, and money. The knight generally held his lands by military tenure which was measured through military service that usually lasted 40 days a year. The military service was the quid pro quo for each knight's fief. Vassals and lords could maintain any number of knights, although knights with more military experience were those most sought after. Thus, all petty nobles intending to become prosperous knights needed a great deal of military experience. A knight fighting under another's banner was called a knight bachelor while a knight fighting under his own banner was a knight banneret.

A knight had to be born of nobility – typically sons of knights or lords. In some cases commoners could also be knighted as a reward for extraordinary military service. Children of the nobility were cared for by noble foster-mothers in castles until they reached age seven.

Knobb Manwich posted:

general combat video, pretty helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNlk6i2aK3c

Another guy on combos specifically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyv2Q1ozuis

Press the attack button just after the blow hits/is blocked. The dot in the middle of the attack directions also flashes white at that time.

Oh neat, it's just insanely hard. :sweatdrop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I don't think you have to do a specific combo for it to work. I was just choosing random directions and it was working. I guess it's easier to do on a controller/console because the direction stuff just stays on screen.

Yeah, finally got a couple off. It's just insanely hard and the game gives you ZERO feedback on when you do it successfully versus when it fails. But I bashed ol' Cap'n B(ee's nutz) with my shield twice instead of swinging from lower right, so I guess it worked! :woop:

Anyone know how to get to the scribe in Rattay? He's in a private tower above the Bailiff, maybe he comes down later in the game?

Also, for anyone who hasn't checked out the Apothecary next to the Parish in Rattay: do so right now. He's got some pretty neat :catdrugs:.

And just to bring this up again: drat the sense of place and attention to detail is amazing!

The visual leap they did with the tech over their competitors reminds me of coming out of the dungeon in Oblivion for the first time: they really outdid the shrubbery in this game. Once again, the use of real landscape has been put to great effect, certainly the world is emptier than Witcher's Velen or any Bethsoft game, but KC:D feels so much more real because of it, to me. The way the roads naturally follow the easiest grade, and not necessarily the most direct route, feels organic and lived-in. Watching the NPCs shop or hunt to fulfill their needs and keep the economy going reminds me of Radiant AI's debut. These guys definitely did their homework on open-world RPGs and tried to salvage the best ideas while cleaving to their idea of realism-influenced gameplay. I'm glad they didn't go overboard with it, realism should never out-prioritize fun, but I think they found a good balance of tedium-as-gameplay for what essentially boils down to Peasantry Simulator.

Also, Shadow Demon Eyes crack me up every time: :laugh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:coolfish:

Just did the quest Baptism of Fire, where you have to raid the bandit camp and kill Runt. I had a lot of fun with this quest and the lead up, a lot of people have said it was really difficult, so I put it off much longer than I wanted to from the pressure in the story, but I'm glad I did. Here are my Henry's stats right after the battle, I was almost to level 10 before:

All things considered, I had a lot of fun with the quest!

In the lead up to it, I apparently did a really great job of scouting. The game gives you the ~mission accomplished~ objective and sends you back to Robard/Radzig after you scout 2 or 3 locations, but there are 7 or 8 in total. Then to you can sneak into the base and get another one or two, in addition to the bonus objectives of poisoning the food and burning the arrows. If you spot them all, you give an extremely detailed report to Radzig of the camp and it's surroundings.

Since I had told Radzig after the scouting mission that there were too many bandits to count, the dialogue option with the greatest number, Lord Pornstache called up all the banners, left minimal guards on the cities, and we cleared the place out pretty easily. I also dosed up on a bunch of potions, pretty much everything combat related the Rattay Apothecary had in stock.

I had a pretty great time looting dead Cumans behind the main line of battle, pretty sure I am walking away with a 5-10k in dosh gosche in slightly-soiled battleware. Make sure and grab all you can, since you can't get any after the fight with Runt.

10/10 - Would Stab Cumans Again :black101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Perestroika posted:

You don't have to do that, blocking is omnidirectional. Just slam the block button when the attack winds up and don't worry about your own weapon orientation.

That kind of works with a shield, but in order to block effectively, especially with just a weapon, you have to block from the corresponding attack position to get maximum deflection.

The Lone Badger posted:

...Really? Because my tutors have spoken at length about the direction of attacks, necessity of being unexpected, etc.

This is good advice.

precision posted:

:siren: save your perk points :siren:

don't take a poo poo perk because there's nothing else available, there are some levels you'll want to take two perks, especially in Agility

This is also good advice.

I think I finished the questline with the Mill Wench. Or I guess I did, there haven't been any dialogue options besides the usual NPC stuff since we banged. I actually found most of the romance pretty cute and heartwarming, if cliched. That's why the abrupt end was such a shock.

Anywho, here's the money shot:

The Lone Badger posted:

I am bad at fighting. The timing on an enemy attack is just long enough for me to hit the block button, but certainly not long enough for me to read their attack, move the mouse/stick, then press the block button. Especially when they're making a chain of attacks.

Yeah, it's hard because both Henry and you, the player, have to :turianass: git gud. :turianass:

Also combos are def broken, the timing requirements on them is too precise to accurately recreate, imo, I just get lucky sometimes. I say this because perfect blocks are fine:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Knobb Manwich posted:

Combos are fine though. Just go to Bernard, do the combo training, but don't do the combo he wants you to do, do any other. You get like five minutes to whale on him before he calls time. Do this until you understand the timing and can remember the combo. When you learned one, go away, then come back in an hour or two and do another.

I really like this combat system. Against a skilled enemy it's trading perfect blocks back and forth until finally one hit gets through, then trying to convert that to a combo for max damage. Or get them in a cinch which is a much easier way to make an opening for a combo.

Yeah, that screen shot is after ~2 hours with Cap'n B. I can perfect block just fine, but combos are nigh impossible for me. They need to loosen the timings or provide better cues, otherwise one of the most interesting parts of sword-fighting just dies on the vine for me.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do golden spurs give you more control than regular ones?

Also drinking with the priest is the greatest thing.

Yes.

Also Yes.

Neurosis posted:

Yeah every comment I've seen about Theresa has been about how abrupt the ending was ] and that was my complaint too. I thought it was fairly well done albeit slightly saccharine. I liked what we saw of Theresa and wish she's been integrated into more of the game. You know if you don't save her at the start she kills all three of those Cumans

Yeah, she slits their throats like a loving badass. I felt so guilty I saved scummed 10 hours to go back and poke a Cuman.

After sleeping on it, this is the biggest disappointment so far. I would have really expected a lot more reactivity from this quest and characterization of Theresa. But, nope, whether or not she gets raped by a mercenary army in front of her dead parents or whether you distract the Cumans and save her so she can run away has no effect on her storyline. No matter what, she's just bangtail. I went back because I thought it would have an effect on the outcome, that maybe Henry would end up marrying his hometown sweetheart, but it seems the roundest females characters will be one-knight-stands. :heysexy:

Kind of expect to bang Divish's wife at some point, now... :smith:

Perestroika posted:

Ah yeah, that might make a difference. I've been rolling with a shield from the word go, because sabres and axes are life.

Anyhow, I've gotten up to the stealth section in the "Nest of Vipers" quest (where you scout out the bandit camp) and whoever designed that part can get hosed. "Alright, for this part we'll make the area you want to sneak into a long, narrow corridor with only one entrance at either end. It's chock-full with enemies that don't appear to need to sleep, particularly near the objects you're supposed to interact with. You can go the extra mile and get a Cuman disguise, but that will only give you a grace period of like two seconds tops."

I think this is an amazing quest and you should try exploring the entire lay of the camp before attempting infiltration. My Henry has a pretty high speech, so if you choose the right dialogue options you can pass at least 3 checks before you get caught on the fouth. It's extremely challenging, but totally worth it when pulled off. Took me 3 schnapps and ~5 or 6 hours of attempts to fully complete.

Ulio posted:

So whats the opinion of this now that people have gotten a few hours in it? Worth the jank?

Ulio posted:

Ya it does seem to have good word of mouth from those who have played even with the jank. It definitely seems to have many simulation/heavy role play elements which has put some people off. I am just worried if it is really buggy or just janky animations. Each time I look at it I get more interested.

In this reviewer's humble opinion, this poo poo is dat Skyrim-killer. It's got bugs to be sure, but the ones I have encountered have been of the "that's odd and/or funny" variety, rather than the game-breaking kind. There was one time where I lost control and had to reload a save which was very inconvenient, but life goes on.

In truth, most of the issues seem to be related to the GPU that's installed. :thejoke:

Alchenar posted:

I think it makes a lot more sense when you notice they're promoting the fact that they have devs from the original Operation Flashpoint on board.

:fry:
drat, I got did get that same sense of space from this game, and the feeling that the NPCs are doing things without my help or input. Thanks for putting the puzzle piece into place. :sun:

It's one of those things that there's wiggle room in the historical record on to the point that "is it accurate?" is almost asking the wrong question. Bohemia was on a major trade route; there was trade with African and Asia; there are all sorts of historical incidents throughout European history where hired mercenaries from almost anywhere ended up somewhere in Europe. There have been items inscribed with muslim phrases found in viking graves and viking graffitti in Africa. So on, so forth.

There's enough there that if the guy *wanted* to he could include a few people of color characters, maybe traders or even allied mercenaries, etc. Instead the overall game does have a kinda "raised eyebrow" dynamic where all the good people are white and all the bad people are scary and foreign.

Yeah, I'm actually glad they didn't go that route because it likely would have been satanic, dark moosleems in Sigi's army and we'd get that ominous, arabic musical-flourish when they show the evil, foreign darkmen coming to rape our white women...

Alchenar posted:

On the sexism stuff I think it would be fair to note that other Eastern European RPG Game Dev CD Projekt went from literal sex collector cards in their first game to having female empowerment be a core plot theme in their third.

Polite but firm disapproval can achieve a lot, particularly when dealing with people from a society that's trying to be Western but has a lot of conservative baggage it has to work through.

...But, like you say, they are from Eastern Europe and it is still :airquote: culturally :airquote: the 1990s there, so I'm hopeful.

Zigmidge posted:

Do you fickle nerds apply this kind of scrutiny of consumption to your music, movies and television too? How do you enjoy anything on this terrible earth full of inequality and exploitation?

Discussing things in an internet discussion forum? Well clutch my pearls! :huh:

Inevitablelongshot posted:

I find the npc dialogue when you accidentally brush past them to be a bit jarring and immersion breaking.

"Thank you Henry, you done me a great service, I will be forever in your debt"
(npc walks into player)
"Get out of my faaking way"

I really liked the guy who ran into me, while I was on my horse standing still, and screamed "FUCKER! You almost killed me!"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Coldforge posted:

I'm pretty sure the merchants in this game eventually "sell" anything you've sold to them, at their full value, and that's how you get them to increase their money pool.

If you've been selling a bunch of crap to one vendor over several days, eventually they'll go from a 500g to 12,000g pool based on the profit they're making, is my rough guess as to how seems to work.

Definitely, I've seen the NPCs shopping at merchants so there is some kind of macro-economy at work. My wonder is whether there is a finite amount of grosh in the gameworld, or if the game spawns it for NPCs as well as Henry. It would be funny if you could steal all of the money and collapse the economy sending everything into anarchy. A few scripted characters like Hans Capon walking around obliviously while the Peasantry goes Full Purge Mode... :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Clanpot Shake posted:

How do you start with the dialog infiltration path? I snuck in the side door and the guys were nothing but hostile. Tried dressing as a Cuman and they kinda followed me for a minute talking at me in Hungarian (but not in dialog) and then figured out the ruse. My speech is through the roof so I'd like to give this a go. I'm guessing they still lose their poo poo when you burn the arrows?
Stuffing is broken as gently caress. My noise value goes up when I remove my chainmail coif.

Here was my take:
I came up the road from Talmburg, until I saw the camp and the two dudes guarding the bridge. Got off my horse a good ways away, and started making my way around the camp clockwise. Went up to the moat, got the comment for that, then followed the moat on the inward side. Came up to the bridge, got the comment for that, and murdered the guard who was at the campfire there: dumped his body in the moat. Continued following the moat around clockwise, got the comment for the sneaky path. Continued around the outside, clockwise, got the comment about the archers in the tower.

At this point it was night time and raining, in my game, and I came back around to what I think was the first bridge I came to. In any event, it was guarded by a Cuman, with constant patrols. This took a lot of tries and a bit of luck to get right: I waited until the guard was alone and approached him from behind, in his shadow, then did a takedown. I then quickly carried him back into the woods, away from the patrols, and pulled out my sword and killed him while he was still unconscious (hold F with weapon drawn for mercy kill). Stole all of his equipment, which included a full mask.

This next part also took multiple attempts: after getting the disguise, I ran into the camp. First check I did the speech option and passed. Ran into the big open field, got the comment for that, then into the Cuman camp, near the church for another comment. There is a tent just past the seated cuman on the left with a chest in it. Lockpicked that and grabbed the poison inside.
Second dialogue check is the valor option where you ignore him. I ran over to the cooking pot, dropped in the poison (make sure no one is watching), then called my horse over.
Third dialogue check is the strength option where you grunt. Pull out your torch if it is night time (it will be impossible to see without the torch during your escape). Set the arrows next to the cooking pot on fire and hopped onto the horse and bolted.

Used 3 schnapps: one at the first approach, one at the end of my outside scouting, before attempting the takedown on the guard, and a third after I finally got him into the woods and murdered unnoticed.

precision posted:

Time passes while you're in the menu btw. Just found that out the hard way. Use the actual pause screen to pause

Yes, I found this out the hard way when, during the escape mentioned in the spoiler above, I tried to take my full-mask helmet off so I could see better at night, in the rain, and the guy chasing me caught up and murdered me while in inventory.

Here's how to win any fist fight:

1) Back up into high ground, so that you have high ground and they're below you

2) right click fast punches into their head until you're exhausted

3) Back up again until your stamina bar refreshes

4) Goto 1

Anything past that you'll learn from Bernard in Rattay and don't need to understand till then.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
And where the gently caress is this buried treasure. I found two or three different "Kill Room Cabins" in the woods before finally finding what MUST be the cabin on the map, but NO loving TREASURE!
:cry:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Futuresight posted:

The one I think you're talking about (XII I think) the treasure is in a hard locked chest in the house the map points to.

:downsgun:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Futuresight posted:

The one I think you're talking about (XII I think) the treasure is in a hard locked chest in the house the map points to.

I literally spent 20 minutes wandering around outside that cabin with a spade, looking for the buried treasure. I knew the chest was there the entire time I was doing this. I am the medieval equivalent of the beach bum with a metal detector...
:eng99:

Frog Act posted:

Trying to hunt rabbits with that crappy bow and practicing clubs with Bernard have to be two of the most frustrating game experiences I've ever had. The bow feels extremely difficult to use with any kind of precision, even when you try to track the arrowhead with your eyes instead of focusing on the target and stuff.

I don't get to buy games at full price often so I requested a refund, made up some stuff about crashes and performance issues to hopefully get them to waive the time limit. I don't hate the game and if they deny it I'll keep trying but I have to say I've found a lot of this frustrating which is weird because I love mount and blade, Dark Souls, etc.

The arrow goes more or less where the crosshair is, the crosshair just disappears. You can reactivate it with the console.

Without resorting to that, remember that you are not supposed to hold the draw. If you don't adjust the aim, your bow will naturally be back at the original spot exactly when the draw is finished, if you release right then: it flies where you originally aimed. After the draw, when you hold (especially if your skills are low) it will sway left and right, not vertically...keep this in mind and just wait for the sway to hit the center again and release.

You can always cancel the shot and reset if you lose your timing or position.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Scherloch posted:

I really like it when they're like "you did this" and you go "no I loving didn't" and they go "ok, checks out", then you go "you did it, admit it!" and they just go "yeah, I did it". Like, if they did it and were trying to cover their rear end, why the gently caress would they let themselves be convinced you didn't do it? Were Bohemian peasants that loving dumb?

I think most people were that dumb prior to public education, and it probably did not help the nobility's sense of superiority that everyone who wasn't a noble was less-than-elementary-school stupid. The scribe's elation if you correctly identify the moral of the golden goose story feels ~super~ authentic for the period to me...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fentry posted:

So I just ran into a fun bug where if I go into the cobbler's in Sasau I can't leave the room due to lovely clipping around the door

Similar story, but not caused by a bug:

Was exploring the upper castle in Rattay, found an unlocked door, so I opened it and cautiously walked through...

...And I wasn't trespassing! Phew! It was a large balcony/rampart, overlooking the northern river and mill, quite a lovely view. As I admired it, a guard walked by. "Good morning, Henry!"

I looked out over the river for a moment more, when I heard the sound...

*SNICK*

:sweatdrop:
Oh dear. The door I just came through is now shut. I walk up to it and sure enough, the guard locked it behind him. "Lockpick (Very Hard)" the game tempts, knowing full well my lockpicking skill is only at level 3.

I look out over the northern ramparts...it's a long drop, fifty feet or more...never gonna survive that. Look over the northwestern ramparts...this part is inside the castle wall, but still a good thirty-five or forty feet down. Also a no go.
:shrug:
Welp, I tried, so I hit "M" and pulled up the map, clicked on the closest fast travel and hit the trusty "E" button.

"You Cannot Fast Travel from this Location."

Oh dear. I run back to the door and hit it with my fists...nothing. I pull out my sword but the game won't let me swing it. That's okay, I back up and pull out my bow and drill three arrows into the door: surely somebody heard that! :smug:

Nothing. I look in panic at my load screen: it's been more than an hour since my last autosave. I could burn a schnapps up here, but that doesn't get me off the balcony. Suddenly, the option to lockpick disappears from my screen.

"HEY! Move it!" I am sprinting as fast as I can through the door, but the guard is trying to push through me on his patrol route, taking up the whole door frame.
"HEY! Watch it!" He turns around on the spot and the door slams in my face, locked again behind him.

To make a long story even longer, it was about 10 minutes before another guard came through on patrol and I was able to rush through the door in front of him while he was exiting on his patrol route (I didn't try to get through on his entry again).

Moridin920 posted:

After a bunch of trial and error I present my optimal strategy:

Cooperate with them and just tell them where Timmy is, they'll give you groschen for it. 3 of them will leave to go deal with him, and leave 1 guy behind to watch you. They say join us if you want or meet up with us later.

Wait a moment, kill that one dude. He's not expecting it so you can blast him real quick. Grab your horse, get after the other 3. They're just running on foot and are marked on the map, so you should have no issue. They are still friendly to you, so what you can do is run up behind the last one, tackle him (gank him with your sword), run up behind the next one, repeat, do it to the last guy.

If you're quick you should be able to get them all right around the last dude hits the main part of the village Timmy's farm is near. Forgot the name (Merhojed?)

It's a bit game-y since I feel like lol that the guy in front doesn't notice his buddies dying off like it's a horror movie but whatever.

Apparently you can also just go back to Cap'n Bees before heading to deal with the dudes waiting for Ginger and he'll send a posse with you to clean house.

Coldforge posted:

Yep, this is pretty much what I ended up going with after playing a good while. Almost to the end of the main quest, and when fighting groups of high level enemies, trying to finesse combat is just pointless.

They designed a combat system that's only good when you're in the training arena.

I dunno, it doesn't seem unrealistic that ~knightly training~ one-on-one combat would be a much different affair from the chaos of a melee in battle, which was probably just lots of dudes stabbing each other in the back and sides while the dude they were stabbing tried to fight someone else.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Pretty sure you can't dual wield at all because in real life it's a pretty bad idea.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

re: theresa:

https://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/theresa-and-a-lost-opportunity/42981/22?u=hieronymousalloy

basically it looks like Theresa was partially cut content they plan on fleshing out later.

Didn't have time to read that yet, but it feels like that one got left on the vine or she was the female protagonist and banging the other one was the bookend of the "coming of age" segment at the beginning. I'd be happy to see her plot line get fleshed out. I thought for sure the version I didn't save was going to turn into an assassin or something: chick seemed bad as gently caress! Slit three dudes throats with a shrug...

kidkissinger posted:

They don't have infinite stamina I don't think. I took that bull-rush perk that drains enemy stamina if you Sprint into them in heavy armor and it almost always gives me an opening where they can't block and I crack their head open with my mace.

They do not have infinite stamina, but perfect blocks and repostes cost 0 stamina so it's possible to just chain those back and forth with no one ever losing any stamina or taking any damage...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

They'd be dumb as hell to not go full bioware and sell like fifteen new DLC's at this point. They even have the ready-made excuse of "hey, small studio, first game."

I'm having to remind myself that this is Witcher 1 for them, not Witcher 3.

Yeah, I am really hoping that with all of the other homework they did, they studied up on how CDPR built a fan-base that got them to true AAA-status. KC:D - Enhanced Edition as a free update in 6-8 months, with all of the stuff they left unfinished, some quest polish/additions, some new weapons, and if they want to really hit it out of the park: a minority cast member inserted into a new supporting role with his own interesting questline, would be amazing. Certainly there are bugs to smash now, but a big balance/overhaul/polish DLC released gratis would go a long way to guaranteeing my pre-order next game.

Still want a $30-45 Prague DLC, too. :homebrew:

Coldforge posted:

Quick follow up to my earlier post: once you hit “Needle in a haystack” in the main quest line, stop. Every single quest from that point forward has multiple game breaking bugs that will require you to reload multiple times and/or scream in frustration as something stupid happens.

Definitely milk the open world and do side quests. All the fun is there (and it is great fun, for the most part).

What is your graphics card, because you are having some serious issues, my man... :unsmith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Kind of hilarious glitch: if you take your roe deer meat and kidneys to the cooking fire outside the Huntsman's house in Rattay, and cook the meat, and then the kidneys one by one, the game for some reason swaps them in inventory. So put 56 meat and 2 kidneys in and you get 2 meat and 56 kidneys out, which makes each roe deer worth ~600g.

:homebrew:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

accipter posted:

Is there anyway to train weapons with taking damage to armor?

Train with practice weapons.

Tercio posted:

this game looks like medieval red dead

Rockstar has a tighter gameplay loop...the emphasis is on the RPG: think of the Skyrim mods that make you an NPC.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

hakimashou posted:

Has anyone modded in some p90s or whatever since its cryengine so we can stargate these medieval fucks.

There's a bow that shoots swords... :shrug:

MiddleOne posted:

Maybe now Bethesda will finally stop making bad open-world games and instead actually try this time around?

They won't

Yeah, I wonder if Bethsoft will rework some ideas for TES6 and un-dumb-down the mechanics to the level of TES3 or at least 4?

They won't

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I like how when Nightingale yells at the beggar for begging in the wrong place, he says "it's not like the rules aren't clear, beggars belong at the church" and there are two churches and the beggar is at the wrong one.

I mean, he also then chastises two dudes for drinking on the job, so that they don't see him immediately spend the next 5 hours playing dice and drinking in the tavern...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I can't even find that in urban dictionary why are you taunting us white folk

someone needs to visit d&d more often and get woke :chaostrump:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Holy crap! That German Knight, Ulrich, is tough as nails! Barely survived the fight, a little surprised I didn't bleed to death during the conversation after the melee...
:sweatdrop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

Archery is pretty overpowered in this game because a lot of the named characters have open helms for artistic reasons, and you can just shoot them in the face. It's kind of disappointing because they don't seem capable of blocking arrows ever, even if they have a shield?

You're not supposed to have a crosshair, which balances it quite nicely.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I think it would be preferable if Henry's arm we're centered so that the knuckle was the point of aim and you sighted down the arrow as.with real worldarchery. As it is the visual aim point is way off from actual aim point and it's.messed.up.

Yeah, that's the thing that took me the longest to get over and why it took so long for me to ~get~ archery. I just assumed it worked like that and thought my Henry just sucked and couldn't shoot where he was aiming. Eventually I just realized it was poorly designed and the arrows all went to the center of the screen.

Unzip and Attack posted:

So Highborn v Lowborn, any opinions on this?

High Born: you don't need the speech buff with yokels.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

High Born: you don't need the speech buff with yokels.

Related to this, as a Henry who bathes and does laundry regularly (no charisma buff, thank you), I am constantly disgusted talking to all of these filthy peasants. FFS, dude, there is a trough right outside your house. At least rub your face off.
:grin:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Jolarix posted:

How far am I through the main plot? I just met Ulrich the Knight, who was investigating the counterfeit coins.

As far as I am!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Lone Badger posted:

Are there any towns with weaponsmiths and armoursmiths other than Rattay and Sasau?
Also, where can I buy a shitload of books?

Books seem to be randomly doled out to relevant traders: weaponsmiths have sword books, innkeepers have books about drinking, etc. The scribe in Uzhitz had the most books I've seen so far.

hakimashou posted:

I spent a good hour reloading trying to kill a Cuman in the "Run!" thing after the tutorial, and managed to choke out one of the rapist ones exactly once, come back and steal his poo poo, then have my driver crash while riding to tamberg. Every other time i tried to choke one out he would flip it around on me. And all the regular Cuman duders would mob on me and kill me, even if i was on horseback.

I wanted my Hun playthrough to be only cuman poo poo ever but i will have to wait to find a random cuman later on.

This is where I wish they had gone full MW and let you kill any NPC and just give you a "you broke the main quest, would you like to continue?" prompt. Then you can roleplay your way into Sigi's army!

Frog Act posted:

So uh I got boar meat for the Sassau butcher (took me like 40 arrows too because I'm terrible) and suddenly he's disappeared. I googled it and the only thing I could find was an unfinished wiki entry for the butcher where someone else commented saying they had the same problem. Anyone figured out a way around this? or the nightingale in the cages quest? I'd really like to turn them in

its a shame that like, a not insignificant percentage of sidequests suffer from bugs that render them useless

I think if you saved or rested after getting the last cage you cannot complete the quest.