Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cross-country skiing is transporting yourself on skis to the finish line asap. That much is obvious. Think of it as biathlon, but without the elements that make it interesting. Norwegians are deeply passionate about this, for reasons I as a Norwegian don't really understand. Our skiers cry when they win, cry when they lose, and cry when they are ok happy with a bronze. I'm skiing this weekend, I expect to shed a few tears when we take a break. "I was just so...nice :cry:"

Like swimming has four, xc skiing has two regulated styles. Short version:

Freestyle: Propel yourself how you want. Like everyone chooses to crawl in freestyle swimming, everyone chooses to skate in freestyle. It's quite similar to ice skating. There are certain sub-techniques, such as offset for going uphill. The techniques are tricky to master, and as soon as you get tired your efficiency starts to go down, which means you get more tired, etc.

Classic: Your skis can't move in a skating motion, but back and forth. A single ski skate is allowed in turns where no tracks are cut. Kick wax under the middle of the skis means the can push off in a straight line. Requires good skis and good technique.

There are also only two forms of facial hair allowed in classic:

1. Bjørn Dæhlie baby smooth:

(making your snot and slime stick to the smooth skin is a sign of skill)

2. Juha Mieto wild bush:

(as worn by Thomas Wassberg, the more slime and ice the better)

Well coiffured, stylish facial hair à la les frères Fourcade is not permitted in classic, only in freestyle.

Things to watch:

Can...
...the clever fox Alex Harvey follow up his 50k world champs gold and win the 30k?
...Dario Cologna maintain his shape from the world cup and take an individual gold for his 3rd consecutive olympics?
...Martin Johnsrud Sundby finally win his 1st championship gold?
...Marit Bjørgen win her 873rd championship gold?
...any Russians start?
...anyone beat Klæbo?
...the Americans take the their first medal since 1976 or their first gold ever?

Wikipedia posted:

Competition schedule

The following is the competition schedule for all twelve events.

All times are (UTC+9).
Date Time Event
10 February 16:15-17:20 Women's Skiathlon
11 February 15:15-17:10 Men's Skiathlon
13 February 17:30-18:45 Men's & Women's Individual Sprint Qualification classical
13 February 20:00-22:00 Women's & Women's Individual Sprint Finals classical
15 February 15:30-17:15 Women's 10 km freestyle
16 February 15:00-16:50 Men's 15 km freestyle
17 February 18:30-19:45 Women's 4 x 5 km relay
18 February 15:15-17:10 Men's 4 x 10 km relay
21 February 17:00-18:30 Women's Team Sprint freestyle
21 February 19:00-20:20 Men's Team Sprint freestyle
24 February 14:00-17:05 Men's 50 km mass start classical
25 February 15:15-17:20 Women's 30 km mass start classical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VraVelzlAL0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

OP doesn't contain breakdown of acceptable facial hair styles for Women's event, please fix

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Go Alex Harvey! (Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Canada ever medaled in this event?)

get the gently caress in

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

tote up a bags posted:

OP doesn't contain breakdown of acceptable facial hair styles for Women's event, please fix

Mustaches are not permitted without therapeutic use exemptions.

stab posted:

Go Alex Harvey! (Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Canada ever medaled in this event?)

get the gently caress in

The men haven't, but the women have. In 2002 they got a pursuit gold and in 2006 they got a gold in the sprint and silver in team sprint.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Id CROSS the COUNTRY to get in bed with some of those lady skiiers I tell you what :q::q::q:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Ola posted:

Mustaches are not permitted without therapeutic use exemptions.

The men haven't, but the women have. In 2002 they got a pursuit gold and in 2006 they got a gold in the sprint and silver in team sprint.

thanks for that- the Canadian way reigns again (women for some reason own the gently caress out of the men in medal hauls)

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
I’m hyped for the women’s skiathlon :sweden: Go Kalla! :holy:

Also put a bet in on Diggins finishing top 3. :911:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 10, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fancyclown posted:

I’m hyped for the women’s skiathlon :sweden: Go Kalla! :holy:

Also put a bet in on Diggins finishing top 3. :911:

Both likely outcomes. They both need to hang on in the classic part, since their strength is in skating. So I think the Norwegians will try to set a hard pace from the start.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Ola posted:

Both likely outcomes. They both need to hang on in the classic part, since their strength is in skating. So I think the Norwegians will try to set a hard pace from the start.

Yes, Ingvild and Marit will go hard.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Women’s Skiathlon is the first event with a medal given, so I’m watching it before/while I fall asleep.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Good looking course this year

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Marit had a huge glide advantage in the long downhill, but she didn't attack. About to change skis now with a gathered field, which is not playing to the Norwegians' strength.

e: actually it did stretch out quite a bit

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Diggins stopping for water hosed her placement quite a bit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

3 Swedes, 3 Norwegians, Pärmäkoski, Diggins and Stadlober in a group out on the skate part. All bets are off! We'll see if anyone tries to attack in the uphill, but this has a certain scent of sprint finish.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kalla looks like she's spending zero energy, but keeping the pace low has put sprinters like von Siebenthal and Nilsson in contention. Ingvild looks a bit weak right now, Diggins is well placed. Good show by Ebba Andersson.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Really impressed by Ebba. :sweden: Great race!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Huge move by Kalla. I think she's got this.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
:yotj: Go Charlotte!!!!!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, that’s the race.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
She was just waiting to actually start racing...and when she did? Done.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Holy poo poo Ebba is keeping close to Marit. So good.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Woooohoooooo Charlotte!!!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fantastic race by Charlotte, played it very cool. Also cool to see Ebba do so well in her first ever olympic race, that wasn't far off the podium. She'll be a big contender in the 10k.

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009
Nice for Pärmäkoski to medal in the first event. She had said prior to the games that a personal medal is her goal. It was her first.

Also it feels like a good start to the competitions when there are also non-Norwegians on the podium.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, I was going to say it was finally her time for some good results, but she did get a medal in the world champs and just got a world cup win, so she's a regular on the podium. Now she has reached her goal and can attack with nothing to lose. Watch out for her in the 10k and the classic sprint.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought Dario was the favorite today, but Emil Iversen has an interesting point. The wind makes it hard to break away from the field, which is an advantage for sprinters like Klæbo. Let's find out!

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
RIP Russians

E: and Kruger

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
This skiathlon reminds me a little bit of bike racing (my favorite sport). Are there similar tactics? Is drafting a thing? Are there breakaways where people work together to make gaps on the field? I know there is a lot of xc/cycling crossover. I just went and did it (xc skiing) for the first time recently and the effort reminded me a lot of riding a bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drat! When a ski pokes out of you bib, something has gone wrong.

I think Hegstad Krüger will catch the field again. In 2002, Frode Estil broke his pole and ski and lost 45 seconds to lead straight out of the gate, but ended up with a silver.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Huge stretch in the field already. And a bit strange to see a race with basically no spectators. I guess we need a European Olympics soon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watching the skiathlon and I feel like I'm seeing a lot of skate action in the classic segment.

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009
Ugh Niskanen did all the work in the classical and is trailing now. Looks badly like it might end up like the WC skiathlon in Lillehammer this year where Norway took the whole drat top 4

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Holy poo poo Krueger!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Watching the skiathlon and I feel like I'm seeing a lot of skate action in the classic segment.

They're allowed to skate in corners where there aren't cut tracks, and they can make one or two skating motions when changing tracks, but they can be sanctioned by changing tracks too much in order to gain an advantage.

Incredible comeback of Hegstad Krüger!

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Krüger goin ham

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Holy poo poo he did it!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Unbefuckinglievable. There's going to be some crying now.

e: did Sundby cough up some blood there?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Was hoping for some post finish line collapses, guess I need to wait for the 50km.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

e: Norwegian tactics were to keep the speed down if one Norwegian was in the lead, until the leader had enough of a gap

Josh Lyman posted:

Was hoping for some post finish line collapses, guess I need to wait for the 50km.

The 15 km interval start is worse. No tactics or slow periods, just full speed all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ola posted:

e: Norwegian tactics were to keep the speed down if one Norwegian was in the lead, until the leader had enough of a gap

The 15 km interval start is worse. No tactics or slow periods, just full speed all the way.

Isn't 15 km Krüger's best event? :getin:

Also, that was insane. Completely.

I watched the race on eurosport where the commentator was some australian dingus. I'm glad he got to watch skiing for the first time because jesus he was totally clueless. I was laughing my rear end off as he was commenting on the terrible conditions (look at that scary snow, there's wind!). Fantastic.

• Locked thread