Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yes, 15 km is his best distance, but I think the competition is toughest there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Goddammit Harvey so close

Yet so far

Truly the Canadian way

(He finished 8th for goons who missed it)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Great to see Silver-Stina finally get her promotion to gold, particularly after failing in the 2017 champs. I think those are the first tears I've seen from her as well. Also fantastic that Klæbo managed to deliver on the massive expectations. He's got his gold and the pressure is off. Although the team sprint and relay are probably going to make him much more nervous.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

How Klæbo developed his running uphill technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaus-kt7qII

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Having to do quarters, semis, the finals of the sprint in like a 70 minute period seems like a lot.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 13, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Having to do quarters, semis, the finals of the sprint in like a 70 minute period seems like a lot.

Yes, and a no holds barred qualifier two hours before that. It's called a sprint, but there's a big endurance and recovery element. This is also the case in team sprint where they do three legs each on the fly, twice if you make it to the finals.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ola posted:

I laughed.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Ola posted:

I talk like this... only even more heavily accented.
Klæbo is super likable though. Much more fun to root for him than Northug or Sundby.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Women's 10 km interval start / time trial soon! In about 8 hours at least, perfect timing for me as I can go to bed and wake up to a nice breakfast and a great race. I really like interval starts because like alpine, different people get to put their mark on the race and sit in the leader's chair, someone who ends up 15th can still put on a good show, whereas in a mass start they are just ignored. I'd say Charlotte Kalla is the big favourite along with the Norwegians, but I'm not sure about their it's going to be very tight in the top. Pärmäkoski, Diggins, Stadlober and a great Swedish talent, Ebba Andersson.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, what a race. Ragnhild Haga beat Kalla solidly in her second ever olympic race. And unless they pull out the 1/100s, there's two bronze medallists, Bjørgen and Pärmäkoski.

I feel bad for Diggins :911: She dug deep as always, missed a medal by 3.3 seconds.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ola posted:

Wow, what a race. Ragnhild Haga beat Kalla solidly in her second ever olympic race. And unless they pull out the 1/100s, there's two bronze medallists, Bjørgen and Pärmäkoski.

I feel bad for Diggins :911: She dug deep as always, missed a medal by 3.3 seconds.

At the same time, a very impressive performance from Diggins because ending up merely 3,3 seconds behind these people is not easy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Getting an olympic gold brings a shitload of notifications!

Nice piece of fish posted:

At the same time, a very impressive performance from Diggins because ending up merely 3,3 seconds behind these people is not easy.

True. She's still a bit more of a sprinter than a distance racer. If it was a 5 km it would have been a different story, perhaps. The team sprint is a great chance for that American medal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

By the way, NY Times has had three (!!!) articles about cross-country in quick order.

quote:

What Cross-Country Skiing Reveals About the Human Condition

Cross-country skiing is the least glamorous, least pyrotechnic, least watchable of the major Olympic sports. It is notoriously, almost inhumanly, exhausting — a brutally sustained nonthrill. Its longest races drag on for more than two hours. Even the sport’s greatest champions, over the course of an event, average speeds that would be legal in a school zone. In the racers’ slowest patches, struggling up terrible hills, schoolchildren could probably outrun them. Cross-country skiing is where the elegant majesty of winter sports goes to die an excruciatingly drawn-out death.

So why would anyone do it? And why on earth would we ever watch?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/31/magazine/winter-olympics-cross-country-skiing.html

quote:

The Ski Pole That Norway Will Never Forget

It seems an unlikely event to be emblazoned in a nation’s collective memory. But if you’re from Norway, and you’re over 50, you almost certainly have a vivid recollection of this:

A man named Oddvar Bra is skiing the final segment of the men’s 4x10-kilometer cross-country relay at the 1982 world championships in Oslo. Surging up a hill, he passes and sideswipes the only person ahead of him, Alexander Savyalov of the Soviet Union.

Immediately, Bra realizes that the impact has had a terrible consequence. His right pole has snapped in two.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/sports/olympics/oddvar-bra.html

Great bit about a surprisingly massive cultural phenomenon. If you think it seems too ridiculous, I can vouch for NYT describing it accurately.

quote:

Tough Job: Norway’s Ski Wax Chief Is Only Noticed When He Fails

Nystad, 47, oversees a group of 30 wax techs, as they’re known. Their job is to divine the right combination of wax, skis and snow at a given race — a puzzle with thousands of possible solutions. Get it right and a carbon fiber ski becomes a killer mode of nonmotorized, alpine transportation. Athletes glide faster down hills and cover ground more efficiently through the rest of the course. Get it wrong and the same athletes will feel like they are trekking through mud.

The failure will not go unnoticed.

“If we screw up we’re on the front page of every newspaper in Norway,” he said. “We become idiots, overnight.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/sports/olympics/cross-country-norway-wax-tech.html

Also quite crazy, also accurate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks like Super-Dario can take his 3rd in a row!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hat trick baby

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Hooray for Pita Taufatofua! Didn't fall, not last.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Jethro posted:

Hooray for Pita Taufatofua! Didn't fall, not last.

He also waited for the guy in last and cheered for him as he crossed. :3:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

He presumably put on a jacket and pants to sit through the opening ceremony. I wonder if that was uncomfortable considering the oil he was wearing.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this relay is nuts

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Didn't watch it, was actually skiing myself for once. Gutted that the Americans didn't do better, this was a big thing for them. Astrid almost collapsed and said she has to rely on course practice because she couldn't see. Ingvild threw up after her leg. Starting the 4th next to Stina Nilsson is usually a recipe for at best second place. But Marit put in her magnum opus and outsprinted the current Olympic sprint champion.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can't believe WADA hasn't busted Bjorgen. Has to be the dirtiest athlete in skiing history.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

African AIDS cum posted:

Can't believe WADA hasn't busted Bjorgen. Has to be the dirtiest athlete in skiing history.

This is an impressively stupid post.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

This is an impressively stupid post.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yes? What would you expect an olympic level athlete who's literally the best in the world to look like? Because I would expect an olympic level athlete to look like that. But maybe you don't know very much about the sport.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Yes? What would you expect an olympic level athlete who's literally the best in the world to look like? Because I would expect an olympic level athlete to look like that. But maybe you don't know very much about the sport.

You cannot be serious

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of muscles, there's something about this pic of Dario, the suit, the pose, the colors, etc, that makes me want to have it on the wall.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes Kikkan Randall came so close so many times.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finally :911:

Missed it live, but saw the replay now. Diggins has had trouble in mass starts before, she would be in a good position but get trampled or pushed or lose balance, then struggle to come back from it, but now all that mass start experience has paid off and she had little difficulty coping with a stumble in the uphill, getting Stinas pole in the face before the final turn, etc etc. Takes Stina on the outside, then just sprints her down. Amazing perfomance, amazing skier, history made with first ever US gold in XC, first women's medal and first team event medal.

I think the popularity of the US team was well illustrated by the whole field doing a hug-a-thon in the finish area.

Ola fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 21, 2018

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
That hug-a-thon in the finish area was so heartwarming :3:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I went to middle school with Kikkan, and she was an A+ nice person back then in addition to being also a Very Fast Person. Could not be happier for her.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Iivo Niskanen is one of skiing's old school workhorses, very glad for him to get a gold. What a workout that was. Don't think I've seen anyone get it as hard as Poltoranin got it at the end. He lost like 4 minutes in the last 15 minutes. A very old school 50 km as well with huge time differences.

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009

Ola posted:

Iivo Niskanen is one of skiing's old school workhorses, very glad for him to get a gold. What a workout that was. Don't think I've seen anyone get it as hard as Poltoranin got it at the end. He lost like 4 minutes in the last 15 minutes. A very old school 50 km as well with huge time differences.

He’s amazing! It was also weird how easy that looked for him compared to others. Even skiing alone he gained a huge gap to Sundby, Cologna and the rest.

Feels great to finally get gold... 5 medals for Finland now

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't know anything about cross-country skiing but I do know the names Niskanen, Sundby, Cologna, and Heikkinen from the last couple Olympics so I'm glad one of them won. :shobon:

Watching the replay now, is there a reason you wouldn't just use the running motion instead of keeping your feet still and driving with your upper body? Seems like the running motion is biomechanically more efficient.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 24, 2018

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know anything about cross-country skiing but I do know the names Niskanen, Sundby, Cologna, and Heikkinen from the last couple Olympics so I'm glad one of them won. :shobon:

Watching the replay now, is there a reason you wouldn't just use the running motion instead of keeping your feet still and driving with your upper body? Seems like the running motion is biomechanically more efficient.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

quote:

But why is double-poling so much faster and more effective? To answer that question we need to take a look at our physiology. When a skier is double-poling, he or she uses smaller muscles than in regular skiing, be it skating or classic. Thus the amount of lactic acid produced in total in one’s body muscles generally becomes far less than when using bigger muscles such as thighs. That also means that a skier can maintain a high heart rate for a longer period. However, using legs is an important factor in double-poling as well, but the movement is more static than in diagonal striding or even in skating. Also, in high speed and on steep hills double poling can produce more lactic acid than diagonal striding, which explains why double-poling on steep hills is not as fast and effective as diagonal striding.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Good question! To add to the previous post, ski techniques are like gears. In classic style, the diagonal pole/kick motion is second gear, you use it for uphills. For a gentler incline you use 3rd gear, kick double pole (left foot, both poles, right foot, both poles, ), once it's completely flat or slightly downhill, you use 4th gear, only the poles. 2nd gear might be more energy efficient, but once the speed goes up, you can't get a proper kick. Think of sitting on a bike and propelling yourself by kicking the ground backwards. Once the speed gets high enough, you can barely manage a little scoot with each foot. Oh and 1st gear is herringbone - walking on edged skis in a v for very steep uphills.

They used to use the diagonal technique in a lot more terrain, but they're simply too fast now. They've also figured out than on a quite flat course, it's actually faster to have no kick wax, i.e. the sticky stuff in the middle of the ski which sticks to the snow and enables a kick. So they just have smooth skis and double pole all the way. In the Vasaloppet race in Sweden, that's 90 km of only double poling with a winning time around 3h50s, which is just a ridiculous physical achievement.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So double poling is better for flat/neutral terrain because it's faster and it allows you to go for longer? So you could cover more distance double poling for 1 hour than diagonal? And since double poling produces less lactic acid, you could (hypothetically) double pole for like 10 hours vs diagonal when you might have to stop after 8?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

So double poling is better for flat/neutral terrain because it's faster and it allows you to go for longer? So you could cover more distance double poling for 1 hour than diagonal? And since double poling produces less lactic acid, you could (hypothetically) double pole for like 10 hours vs diagonal when you might have to stop after 8?

I'm not exactly sure about that lactic acid thing, but in flat terrain, the double poler would beat the diagonal skier because of a higher max speed. You also have better glide without kick wax. But if you were to ski for huge distances, you'd probably want to spread the load on as many muscle groups as possible. A recreational skier might propel himself in a very energy saving way that looks like diagonal, but is actually more like walking with skis on your feet and maybe adding a bit of glide. Diagonal is a lot harder to master than one might think.

As for muscle groups, double poling isn't just the arms. If you double pole using only your triceps, you get stiff arms after a short while. The core crunch does the biggest job, back muscles and leg extension also does a big job recovering back up after the crunch. It's a pretty nice way of propelling yourself when you have great glide and the terrain is easy, and it does feel like you use the whole body.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Marit has a 44 second lead half way in the 30 km, if she takes this gold she becomes the winningest winter Olympian of all time.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Holy poo poo Stadlober! :(

Ingvild and Stina fighting for medals now.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fancyclown posted:

Holy poo poo Stadlober! :(

Ingvild and Stina fighting for medals now.

Noooo! What a punch to the gut that must be. Lost a silver, then still has a third of the race left.

• Locked thread