Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pokemon. It was early enough for a reboot, right?

After a rocky start with Ruby and Sapphire not connecting with previous games and FireRed and LeafGreen remaking old games into slightly less old games (but still old) with new mechanics, Emerald is the enhanced version, following Crystal and Yellow before it. As far as third versions go, it's the third worst, after Yellow and Crystal, so it's fine as things go, but by itself it's a pretty nice game.

Hoenn is a beautiful region, the Pokemon are weird and interesting and the villain teams are dumb, so it's definitely a crazy mix. There's a lot packed into this one game and while some of it is... hrm, varied, it makes a super good package. Like with previous games, I'll be covering it in its entirety, god help me, and diving into all the super cool mechanics and related stuff I can find.

I'll assume you've read my Yellow and Crystal LPs, but it's not a huge deal if not, Emerald is separate enough from them that you shouldn't get lost, though I will not be covering anything that's appeared in those games and that includes Pokemon and moves. Also you should read my Pokemon Conquest LP, but only cause I'm really happy how it turned out.

SPOILERS ARE A-OK! We know how these games go, let's travel through a tropical paradise and stop some dumb eco-terrorists before facing the Champion Steven, er, Wally, no, WALLACE.

Updates
01: Welcome to the World of Advancements!
02: Catch-a-thon 2004
03: Rocking Up To Rustboro
04: Matching Up
05: Dewford Island
06: Seeing Slateport
07: Moving on to Mauville
08: Training to Wahahahah!
09: Rock SMASHING
10: Ash Me Outside
11: Meteoring Team Magma
12: Hot Battles With Desert
13: Washing Over Daddy
14: Glittering Waves
15: Forward to Fortree
16: Tree Flight
17: Sights of Lilycove City
18: Something Strange in this Mountain Place
19: Eight Floors of Evil Hideouts
F1: Unprecedented Island Adventure (FRLG)
20: Fuelling Failure
21: That's a Lotta Water
22: "As if nothing had happened..."
F2: Hot and Cold (FRLG)
23: Currently Eight
24: To Be A Master
25: Awaken My Masters
F3: Access All Areas (FRLG)
26: Victory Times the Charm
27: End of the Elite
28: Hopefully the Final Frontier...
29: The Battle Factory
30: Going Post
F4: Rocketing Through Six (FRLG)
RX: Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs
31: The Battle Pike and Battle Palace
32: Trainer Tower and Trainer Hill
33: The Battle Dome and Battle Pyramid
F5: That's a Wrap (FRLG)
34: The Battle Arena and Battle Tower
35: Final Unprecedented Island Adventure

Side Notes
01: Release Overview (From Part 1)
02: Catching Stuff Maybe Less Glitchy This Time? (From Part 2)
03: How Overhauled Pokemon Tick (Part 1) (From Part 3)
04: How Overhauled Pokemon Tick (Part 2 - PID) (From Part 4)
05: Mauville's Sights: Old guys and Gambling (From Part 7)
06: Holding Out for Held Items (From Part 14)
07: Lilycove's Sights: Young women and Decorations (From Part 17)
08: Wireless Communication (From Part 20)
09: The Ridiculous Rabbit Hole of the e-Reader (Part 1: Overview) (From Part 21)
10: Pokeblocked (From Part 24)
11: Competent Contest Challenger (By Explopyro)
12: The Ridiculous Rabbit Hole of the e-Reader (Part 2: Endless Battles) (From Part 32)
13: Holding Out for Other Held Items (From FRLG Part 5)
14: Glitzer Popping (From Part 35)

Mini Notes
01: Pickup (From Part 1)
02: Berry Crush (From Part 6)
03: Ash Collecting (From Part 10)
04: Shedinja (From Part 14)
05: Evolution Event 1 (From Part 14)
06: Castform (From Part 15)
07: Evolution Event 2 (From Part 17)
08: Escape Factor 0 (From Part 18)
09: Evolution Event 3 (From Part 19)
10: Evolution Event 4 (From Part 21)
11: Evolution Event 5 (From Part 26)
12: Look at Altering Cave and Laugh (From Part 30)
13: Evolution Event 6 (From Part 30)
14: Evolution Event Final (From Part 32)

Onmi's Adventures Asides
Ruby and Sapphire
Team Aqua and Team Magma
Winona and Wallace
Norman
Wally and Emerald
Steven
Dumb Ruby and Sapphire

rannum's Frontier Brain Anime Asides
Factory Head Noland
Pike Queen Lucy and Palace Maven Spenser
Arena Tycoon Greta, Dome Ace Tucker and Salon Maiden Anabel
Pyramid King Brandon

Videos
Opening and Intro (From Part 1)
VS Leader Roxanne (From Part 3)
VS Leader Brawly (From Part 5)
VS Leader Wattson (From Part 8)
VS Leader Flannery (From Part 12)
VS Leader Norman (From Part 13)
VS Leader Winona (From Part 16)
VS Leaders Tate & Liza (From Part 20)
Rayquaza Fixes Everything (From Part 22)
VS Leader Juan (From Part 23)
VS Elite Four Sidney (From Part 27)
VS Elite Four Phoebe (From Part 27)
VS Elite Four Glacia (From Part 27)
VS Elite Four Drake (From Part 27)
VS Champion Wallace and Credits (From Part 27)

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 1: Welcome to the World of Advancements!

:siren: Opening and Intro :siren:

Middle-aged Man Lecture probably wasn't the best travel entertainment, but at least it gave me light to see. I need some sunlight.

Littleroot Town

Well, this is LITTLEROOT TOWN. How do you like it? This is our new home? It has a quaint feel, but it seems to be an easy place to live, don't you think? And you get your own room, YUKI! Let's go inside.

Going from no bedrooms to one, that's quite the upgrade.

This is so convenient! YUKI, your room is upstairs. Go check it out, dear! DAD bought you a new clock to mark our move here. Don't forget to set it!

Evenin'.

So it's a bit of a different start than we're used to, but welcome to Pokemon Emerald! This game is great, I'm super excited to LP this, so let's get time rolling and start our adventure.

Late night recordings are best recordings.

Good! Everything's put away neatly! They finished moving everything in downstairs, too. POKEMON movers are so convenient! Oh, you should make sure that everything's all there on your desk.

Definitely can't forget this. Where were you in Crystal?

Man, someone's rich.

Oh... it's over. I think DAD was on, but we missed him. Too bad. Oh, yes. One of DAD's friends lives in town. PROF.BIRCH is his name. He lives right next door, so you should go over and introduce yourself.

Littleroot Town/Mishiro Town: A town that can't be shaded any hue.
From little and root, where the beginnings of plants grow, and mi (not yet) or mi (three) and shiro (white). Since the town's slogans are more similar this gen, I'll be rolling it into one line unless there's a big difference.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Been here five minutes and I already have property. Right, what've we got?

Got a Bag with lots of pockets and a nice empty Trainer Card that needs filling. Should be a good time.

Oh, you're YUKI, our new next-door neighbor! Hi! We have a daughter about the same age as you. Our daughter was excited about making a new friend. Our daughter is upstairs, I think.

Gonna break into your room and read your email. It better be saucy.

Aww. Well, at least there's an item on the floor to cheer me up.

May Encounter Brendan Encounter

Oh, you're YUKI. So your move was today. Um... I'm MAY. Glad to meet you! I... I have this dream of becoming friends with POKEMON all over the world. I... I heard about you, YUKI, from my dad, PROF.BIRCH. I was hoping that you would be nice, YUKI, and that we could be friends.

Oh, no! I forgot! I was supposed to go help Dad catch some wild POKEMON! YUKI, I'll catch you later!

Littleroot Town

Well she seemed nice. There's a few differences between Brendan and May, I just wanted to do something different and choose the guy, no real preference otherwise. Though May's encounter theme is better than Brendan's, so I'll just be linking hers in future.

Sup, Max.

Yet again we're playing hunt the professor.

Still good, circa 2004.

The PROF's away on fieldwork. Ergo, he isn't here. Oh, let me explain what fieldwork is. It is to study things in the natural environment, like fields and mountains, instead of a laboratory. The PROF isn't one for doing desk work. He's the type of person who would rather go outside and experience thing than read about them here.

Alright, I guess I'll go walk around the grass, I guess. So you might have noticed I'm using overworld sprites for some characters and battle sprites for others. I wanted to do something different and I'll only use the overworld sprites when there's no corresponding battle sprite, or it's an important character with no artwork. Saves me having to crop a sprite and make it larger. There will be times I'll need the battle sprite though, later down the line.

I want to go see what's going on, but I don't have any POKEMON... Can you go see what's happening for me?

Help!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Nah.

I was kidding! Take a joke!

So instead of linking to the analysis and halting the update in its tracks while I write about 251 Pokemon in misery, I'm just gonna cover the new Hoenn Pokemon and only give a small summary just below the big info graphic, since they're easy enough to figure out. Also any Side Notes I'll be doing will only be about mechanics, since I don't feel like I have too much to talk about regarding the anime and whatever.

Right, so, Treecko. It's really good for this game and Sapphire, where there's a lot of Water types around. But it doesn't get too many moves to work with. Still, Grass STAB is pretty nice for most of the game, only struggling in the middle somewhat. It's a cool gecko friend and there's never a wrong choice for starters, especially in this gen.

Torchic has a bit of a rough start due to the Rock Gym start, but when it evolves, hoo boy it starts to wreck pretty easily. Fire and Fighting, while the start of a horrible trend, are pretty great and it works especially well in Ruby, where you can smash those Fire and, uh, Steel types, at the end. Shame no one really chose it in the remake cause they used it in their first playthrough of XY.

No matter which you choose, the starters' Ability of Overgrow, Blaze or Torrent do the same thing. At 33% health, all Grass/Fire/Water moves will be boosted by 50%, meaning they hit super hard combined with STAB. It's a risky idea to stay at that amount, but it's a super good way of getting out of a jam.

So we've gone with Venusaur and Typhlosion. Guess who's turn it is? Not that it's a real arm twister, Mudkip is bloody lovely and I liek very much. Right, let's never reference that meme again. Useful in whatever game you're playing, Water and Ground and a beautiful combo and it'll become a great HM slave, if nothing else. But still, I would've happily taken anyone, all good choices, but my heart belongs to this mud fish.

Wild Pokemon Battle

God the colours, the advances from the last gen, THE MUSIC. I love these games. I'll go over new Pokemon when we can actually catch them. For now, let's just beat it up.

I'll also only be covering new moves introduces in Gen 3, since I've gone over previous moves twice already in previous LPs. What can I say, if I'm gonna keep these main game LPs up, I gotta streamline, while keeping it fresh.

First battle goes like you'd expect. Though I do hope I'm not going too fast for some people. I am assuming you've read my and Yellow and Crystal LPs. So don't get left behind! (It's not a huge deal if you haven't, I just think they're cool)

You saved me. Thanks a lot! Oh? Hi, you're YUKI! This is not the place to chat, so come by my POKEMON LAB later, okay?

Professor Birch's Lab

I've heard that you don't have your own POKEMON yet. But the way you battled earlier, you pulled it off with aplomb! I guess you have your father's blood in your veins after all! Oh, yes. As thanks for rescuing me, I'd like you to have the POKEMON you used earlier.

Oh we have the perfect nickname for you, chosen by the people at the end of the Conquest thread (oh yeah, you should definitely read my Conquest LP, I'm super happy with it), though originally suggested by asymmetrical.

A new region to conquer? Hehehehe... mwahahahahahaha!

...?

"an extremely good TRAINER."

My kid, MAY, is also studying POKEMON while helping me out. YUKI, don't you think it might be a good idea to go see MAY?

Oh go on then, she is my only friend in this region right now.

MAY? Gone home, I think. Or maybe that kid's scrabbling around in tall grass again somewhere... If you or your POKEMON get tired, you should get some rest at home.

Littleroot Town

Let us see how Nobunaga fares.

Modest nature??? Also wow that Speed :eyepoop: There's a fair amount to unpack here, but I'll properly go into it over the next few updates. The two biggest things are Natures, which usually raise one stat by 10% and lower another by 10%. In this instance, my Special Attack is higher, while my Attack is lower. Bit annoying, but hey, I'll happily take it. Abilties, meanwhile, is a power every Pokemon has depending on its species. There's a lot of them and I'll go over them as we see them.

Half of the family just doesn't stay still.

Route 101

Time for adventure! And wild encounters!

Just walking through the grass...

...and then not encounter anything? I feel cheated.

I need some experience for my babby warlord!

Alright, let's move on to the next town.

Oldale Town/Kotoki Town: Where things start off scarce.
A combination of old and dale, and a combination of ko (old) and toki time. Or literally means koto ki (unusual tree).

Pokemon Center

First stop should always be the Pokemon Center.

Surprise, surprise, they haven't changed.

Oldale Town

Sure, I'm incredibly trusting.

We sell a variety of goods including POKE BALLS for catching POKEMON. Here, I'd like you to have this as a promotional item.

"in certain situations."

Ah, gimme that free poo poo. I could definitely use some Pokeballs.

That guy outside is lyyyyyyyiiiiiinnnnnnnggggg

I just discovered the footprints of a rare POKEMON! Wait until I finish sketching them, okay?

Route 103

Ah here's where we need to go.

Ugh, water.

Ooh, it's a cute doggy.

The doggo didn't do much, but hey, first level. It's nice to have all it there in one image in the end like that. Makes my life easier.

It's gonna be a bit until we get some STAB, but this is an alright move for the moment.

May Encounter

Oh, hi, YUKI! ...oh, I see, my dad gave you a Pokemon as a gift. Since we're here, let's have a quick battle! I'll give you a taste of what being a TRAINER is like.

Rival Battle

Peep that tune, hot drat. Oh yeah, this game also has animated sprites, though not as complex as the ones in Crystal. I ain't giffing them, so enjoy that brief glance. As per usual, our rival has the starter that's strong against ours. This is totally not a problem later. *shudder*

Early battles really aren't that entertaining to cover in an LP. Save me. Well I might as well talk about their names, or something. Anything, really. Brendan's name is from brave, as that's what yūki means. Shame I couldn't use ū in my name, but oh well. May is a spring month, as haruka means spring flower.

Nice nice nice, we'll need Nobunaga nice and strong for the future.

You might be able to befriend any kind of POKEMON easily. Well, it's time to head back to the LAB.

Nice straight shot, uh, straight down.

Phew, that was a journey, but we made it back.

Professor Birch's Lab

MAY's been helping with my research for a long time. MAY has an extensive history as a TRAINER already. Here, YUKI, I ordered this for my research, but I think you should have this POKEDEX.

"of any POKEMON you meet or catch."

My kid, MAY, goes everywhere with it. Whenever my kid catches a rare POKEMON and records its data in the POKEDEX, why, MAY looks for me while I'm out doing fieldwork, and show me.

Oh, wow, YUKI! You got a POKEDEX, too! That's great! Just like me! I've got something for you, too!

I'm going to look all over the place because I want different POKEMON. If I find any cute POKEMON, I'll catch them with POKE BALLS! I wonder where I should look for POKEMON next?

Countless POKEMON await you! Argh, I'm getting the itch to get out and do fieldwork again!

Littleroot Town

Oh hi MOM

You're your father's child, all right. You look good together with POKEMON! Here, honey! If you're going out on an adventure, wear these RUNNING SHOES. They'll put a zip in your step!

"Press the B Button while wearing these RUNNING SHOES to run extra-fast! Slip on these RUNNING SHOES and race in the great outdoors!" ...to think that you have your very own POKEMON now... your father will be overjoyed. But please be careful. If anything happens, you can come home. Go on, go get them, honey!

I think Gen 3 MOM has more lines than Gen 1 and 2 MOMS combined. Anyway...

The Pokedex is pretty neat, everything's on one image, which is much easier for me. It also has a few more features.

The area tab can be helpful, as well as being able to jump to the top and bottom as the game goes on.

There's even searching! Yeah I never use it either.

Since we haven't healed since the May fight, might as well while we're here. Who knows when we'll be back home again?

WOWZA, look at this running speed. I have missed this so much.

Route 101

OKAY, with Pokeballs and a healed Nobunaga, let's catch some Pokemon!

Huh, didn't expect to find the rarest thing so quickly. Well it's good cause Zigzagoon is a great utility mon, able to learn all kinds of field moves and has a cool ability in Pickup. I'll talk about abilities after the Pokemon, since quite a few of them have something cool to them. Anyway, Zigzagoon is trash, just use it for items and we'll be keeping it in the party for a while. I advise you do the same.

Now a lot of abilities were actually changed in Emerald, either given little tweaks, or having a field effect. After every battle, a Pokemon with Pickup has a 10% chance of getting an item from a pool that's determined by its level, even if it didn't participate or if it's fainted. Here is a more detailed look into Pickup and how good it is for the various Gen 3 games. Don't worry, I won't have so much to talk about in regards to other abilities.

Oh good, the crits are starting. Catching stuff is easy enough, get their health low and throw some balls.

The good ol' 1, 2, 3. Wurmple, surprise surprise, is good to begin with (well, Beautifly anyway) and then falls behind as the game goes on. It'll teach you the wonders of evolution, but one of its final forms that you've got your heart set on might not happen, since its evolution is basically random, but something I'll go over later.

Shield Dust prevents additional effects from attacks from occurring, like Sheer Force for the enemy, but no power boost. It has no effect on status moves, but it makes a Pokemon basically immune to Freeze, since that's only an additional effect.

Nice going there guy. We can head out onto Route 102, but let's go back to Route 103 and catch a couple more Pokemon.

The last of the first Pokemon you can encounter. It's bad. Pure Dark is pretty neat, but that's still a special type, so the Poochy line doesn't really gain anything from it. Also its moveset is rubbish, but it wouldn't really help it anyway. Oh well, still cute as hell!

Run Away lets the Pokemon escape from wild battles no matter what. It doesn't do anything in trainer battles, or with switching to another Pokemon. So, uh, it's pretty bad. I guess it's good to have when you've ran out of Repels.

One last Pokemon to find.

This one ain't too bad, even if it's everywhere. If you need a Water type, a Flying type, or both, then it'll do that just fine. Though you will be relying on its Water attacks more. Still, it has some good matchups coming up and it'll be just fine, if not amazing.

Keen Eye prevents accuracy drops, but abilties that reduce accuracy ignore Keen Eye. While at the front of the party, it has a 50% chance of stopping wild Pokemon that are 5 or more levels below the user from appearing. It's not too amazing, but it'll come up a few times, so I guess it can't be that bad. Accuracy drops fuckin suck.

Oldale Town

Not a bad haul for the very start. If you're wondering if I'm going to complete the Hoenn Pokedex... what do you think? I won't be doing the National Pokedex legit though, gently caress that.

Oh hey, what's this feature?

Ahhhhhhhh, I've missed this so so much. The storage system overhaul was desperately needed and it's pretty great.

Quick stop by the Mart to restock on Balls. Gonna need plenty for the next few areas.

With the Apricorn Balls being practically non-existent in these games, we've got some more Pokeballs that don't really replace them.

When you buy basic Pokeballs ten at a time, you'll get a Premier Ball. What does it do? Nothing. It's a Pokeball, but it looks pretty. I'll need it for next update.

Speaking of which, next time, we'll be going on a little catching spree as we head to Route 102 and beyond.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 9, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes #01: Release Overview

After the absolutely ridiculous success of the first two generations, money and fan expectations were expecting a new entry in the series. While Pokemon gave the Gameboy life, it was succeeded by the GBA, so Pokemon moved onto the new system and all the technological advancements that came with it. There's a lot here that's improved from previous games, but a huge amount of it was behind the scenes, so it made the games completely incompatible with previous ones.

So when Ruby and Sapphire came out in November 2002, only 200 Pokemon out of 386 could be obtained and those you've obtained in previous games can't be moved forward. It sucked and coupled with the lack of the day/night changes and real distance from the previous regions and characters, the new generation didn't start on the right foot. What was there was super good, but it wasn't perfect.

Thankfully, this was alleviated somewhat on January 2004 when FireRed and LeafGreen, remakes of the original Red and Green, were released, with updates to Kanto, making loads of Pokemon available again, including a chunk of Johto mons, and sticking to the original games pretty closely, for better or for worse. It also introduced the Wireless Adapter, which was a pretty neat device. There was also the e-Reader, in 2002, but it didn't sell well, so by the remakes it had been discontinued in America.

Surrounding the release of Gen 3, Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness for the Gamecube were released on November 2003 and August 2005, respectively, allowing people to obtain the missing Johto Pokemon much easier and focusing on sweet rear end Double Battles. It could connect to the Gen 3 games and made getting certain rare mons a breeze, as well as letting you play on the big screen.

Finally, Emerald was released in September 2004, an enhanced version of Ruby and Sapphire, having more changes to the original story than Crystal and Yellow before it, but still not a huge amount to justify it. Still, at least it was a 3 year gap compared to 1. So yeah, those are the dates, on with the show!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Gen 3 was before the Physical Special split, right? So your Nobunaga will be good at half his final typing's STAB moves with that Nature.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Gen 3 was my life during the few years after Ruby/Sapphire's release, I played these so much and still have very fond memories of them. Nintendo was rather experimental in their GBA and GC years, and I feel like it really shows in Gen 3 with stuff like e-Reader support or the entire concept behind Pokémon Colosseum and XD. And I loved every bit of it. Looking forward to reliving all of that!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I remember people being real angry about Fire Red and Leaf Green being ways to get people to pay Nintendo more money just to catch 'em all (because those were gen 3 compatible).

It turns out to have been true, sorta...

The virtual console allows you to extract pokemon from the virtual console versions of Gen 1 and send them to modern games, showing that with enough effort, Nintendo could've found a way to make Gen 1/2 compatible with Gen 3 back then. But they didn't. They remade the games instead.

But it's a bit too long ago to still be pissed about that.

The funny thing is, because every game changes what moves every pokemon learns naturally, the virtual console releases allow people to have pokemon with moves they could ONLY have in gen 1 in modern games now. It expended the competitive pokemon scene a bit by 'allowing' moves that have been illegal on the latest gen ever since the release of Ruby and Sapphire.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Crosspeice posted:

Shield Dust prevents additional effects from attacks from occurring, like a Life Orb for the enemy, but no power boost.

Are you thinking of the ability Sheer Force, not Life Orb? Life Orbs drain HP, not get rid of additional effects, though I see why you'd get that wrong - the two tend to be used together to get rid of the nastier effects of the latter.

On a slightly less nitpick-y note, it's interesting to see the differences in names between Japanese and English.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Time for trumpets
parp parp parp parp parp parp parp

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
There's a youtube channel that's used the original sound module to recreate the songs in good quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FKSyHYNCY

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Time for trumpets
parp parp parp parp parp parp parp

things I unironically like: the RSE music.

Sinnoh was more fun to explore but RSE had the better music and puzzles.

e: What if trumpets, but too much? Let's Play Pokemon Emerald

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Emerald. I have a lot to say about this game, and it is all undeniably positive. I love Emerald with all my heart. I love Hoenn with all my heart.

I remember a lot of people were mad about Ruby/Sapphire. I wasn't. It was the first time I actually tried to get info on the games before they came out (I was a child back then, the anime was my info for the previous two gens!) and I remember just falling in love immediately with what I saw was coming. I found a Pokemon that became my favourite, and kept being my favourite to this day, to the point that half my namesake is that Pokemon('s ability/part of its name).

And even so, I didn't use it in OR because I had already used it in Y. You are right in that one, Crosspeice.

Emerald is a massive upgrade over RS too, uniting both stories and just fixing a lot in general, it's a wonderful game and I wish it had been updated for the current standards. Instead we got ORAS that ignored Emerald completely for reasons I will never understand, or I may understand but never agree with. It was a terrible decision, but I will remain positive because I love Emerald!

It was such a gigantic change for a child, seeing how the blocky, badly-coloured Gameboy Color graphics of Crystal turned into the beautiful Hoenn, how a lot of things were now actually shown to you as proper sprites instead of just text, everything was an incredible change, technology is amazing! Even the box became far less of a pain to use!

I just love Emerald to bits. It's not my favourite anymore, but it's definitely up there. I can't wait to see you show it in all its glory as you did with the previous two generations, and I'll follow it and point out all those things that made Hoenn so dear to me, as much as I can.

I'll also point out that you made Oldale far scarier than it actually is, "Oldale Town/Kotoki Town: Where things start off scare." should be scarce instead.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I have several thousand hours sunk into RSE. (they were released when I was a lonely young teenager, ok?) This gen has some of my favorite starter designs, and a lot of the new Pokemon are really cool. I'm really happy to see someone visiting it again.

Leraika posted:

things I unironically like: the RSE music.

Sinnoh was more fun to explore but RSE had the better music and puzzles.

e: What if trumpets, but too much? Let's Play Pokemon Emerald

Same, I really like this gen's music.

Also, what the hell is going on with the oldale slogan? "Oldale Town/Kotoki Town: Where things start off scare."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Solumin posted:

I have several thousand hours sunk into RSE. (they were released when I was a lonely young teenager, ok?) This gen has some of my favorite starter designs, and a lot of the new Pokemon are really cool. I'm really happy to see someone visiting it again.

Same, I really like this gen's music.

Also, what the hell is going on with the oldale slogan? "Oldale Town/Kotoki Town: Where things start off scare."

Crosspeice typoed that one. It is "Where things start off scarce".

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Abilities are cool, but I kind of wish they had made them less powerful and allowed them to stack. It doesn't make any sense that some snakes can shed their skin and some can look intimidating when they're all the same animal with the same capabilities.

Plus that Psychic/Steel thing from Platinum would have to be completely redone and we would all benefit from that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sapphire was my introduction to the series, so Gen 3 has a dear place in my heart. Steven is the true Champion though. :argh:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

I remember people being real angry about Fire Red and Leaf Green being ways to get people to pay Nintendo more money just to catch 'em all (because those were gen 3 compatible).

It turns out to have been true, sorta...

The virtual console allows you to extract pokemon from the virtual console versions of Gen 1 and send them to modern games, showing that with enough effort, Nintendo could've found a way to make Gen 1/2 compatible with Gen 3 back then. But they didn't. They remade the games instead.

But it's a bit too long ago to still be pissed about that.
It wasn't any less silly at the time. Even if they solved the technical challenge of getting a Game Boy game plugged into a GBA plugged into a Gamecube to talk to a Gamecube game to talk to a GBA game, you'd still have to buy a Gamecube and Pokemon Colosseum or whatever game they put that feature in, and people would have just been pissed off about that instead.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 10, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Emerald is very very good and the best of the gen 3 games by a mile. I love Hoenn, even if it does have its assorted flaws (w a t e r r o u t e s), so much. I think it has some of the best land routes in the series. Emerald has great tilesets too. And the trumpets! I really liked ORAS more than some other people but the only thing it really needed from me....was more gratuitous blaring trumpets.
It's kind of hialrious how this & FRLG came out in the same year. Between that and how long it took DP to come out and how...rough DP was you get the feeling there was some weird development troubles going on behind the scenes.

You glossed over it but, man, it cannot be overstated how much better the PC is starting now. No saving between boxes, instant switching around, able to grab and move multiple pokemon at once, item moving, a lovely visual overhaul and it's great. One of many reasons it's much easier to go back to gen 3 than gens 1 & 2.

I hope when we start getting around to actually catching them all you go into more detail about the nonsense that is getting the national dex in gen 3. Your release overview kind of touches on it, the way they split up pokemon is terrible and even using the gamecube games still leaves dumb holes in everything. IT's a very involved process here more than most other gens .

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

There's a youtube channel that's used the original sound module to recreate the songs in good quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FKSyHYNCY

These are insanely good, everyone should check them out.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

When the games were new, my mother bought me a clear pink GBA and a copy of Sapphire. They were the first games console and game that was my own, not just something borrowed from my older siblings.

So yeah, I love Gen 3 and have probably logged a scary amount of time in them, up to this day. Even with ORAS existing and also being quite good, the GBA games are extremely nostalgic for me.

Torchic is the best starter though. :colbert:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Soup du Jour posted:

These are insanely good, everyone should check them out.

Agreed, the horns sound so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQPnzIr2oTY

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The original horns are the best and I refuse to budge on that. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlVV44BA968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxzwzSY4IXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEx6QiWTEo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

hopeandjoy posted:

Torchic is the best starter though. :colbert:

Yes, yes it is. This is good taste, right here.

Blaziken will probably never stop being my favourite Pokemon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All the starters this generation were pretty solid, in my opinion. Torchic's hard to replace, though, while IIRC this is where Barboach/Whishcash first appeared and they can do Mudkip's job.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey now, I didn't have a choice in starter, you want me to break a pattern? I'm glad everyone's looking forward to the LP, I'm only to Petalburg Woods and I'm having a blast right now. The music, the Pokemon, the graphics, ah it's all so good. Also cheers for being a better proofreader then I will ever be.

Bring on the trumpets!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Moving up to something approximating an actual sound chip must have been like paradise for the composers. Paradise and Gabriel's horn.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Torchic is really good but I personally love Treecko a lot.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I remember choosing Torchic solely thanks to the anime showing Blaziken as a teaser for Gen 3.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Hoenn. The generation that turned me off to Pokemon for a while. All the new content that got added for these games just overwhelmed me and I gave up on the series until I peeked at Platinum and got back onboard. That said, I am very much Team Torchic for life. Once that little ball of adorable gets going, sweet merciful Arceus does it utterly wreck poo poo left and right. I do agree that the Fire/Fighting dual type for starters wore out its welcome really fast. Three generations in a row with that typing for starters definitely created fatigue, even if picking Chimchar in Diamond/Pearl was the only way to get a legit Fire type outside of Ponyta (what the gently caress was GameFreak thinking for those two games? :psyduck:).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I generally picked Torchic. Grass types are meh and you can salvage good water types elsewhere

Fire types are always stupid rare.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
To this day, RSE is the only set of games in the mainline series that I haven't beaten. Every time I played them, I usually lost interest around the 6th gym. I only became a Hoenn champion when I beat Alpha Sapphire and abusing repels when I needed to go into the ocean routes.

Edit: Picked Mudkip on the GBA games since I pretty much picked water starters until Gen 6, and wound up going with Treecko in Alpha Sapphire because of its Mega evolution.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Verant posted:

and abusing repels when I needed to go into the ocean routes.
I honestly don't understand how anyone gets through a Pokemon game without spamming repels most of the time. The games are easy enough without grinding wild Pokemon, and the encounter rate is high enough that I'm pretty sure you'd spend several more hours on the game just dealing with them. Gen 7 making it easy to get through most routes without having to go through tall grass was a blessing.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I generally picked Torchic. Grass types are meh and you can salvage good water types elsewhere

Fire types are always stupid rare.
I almost never pick the water starter in any Pokémon game for this reason. In every game, there are like dozens of viable water types to choose from...but the fire and grass types are consistently some combination of rare / mediocre / not available till really late game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Sapphire was my introduction to the series, so Gen 3 has a dear place in my heart.

Ah, kids these days.

Lemme tell you, when I was young, Gen 1 was all we had, and we ENJOYED that pixelated monochrome mess. :colbert:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

I almost never pick the water starter in any Pokémon game for this reason. In every game, there are like dozens of viable water types to choose from...but the fire and grass types are consistently some combination of rare / mediocre / not available till really late game.

Unless you're playing Gen V. Where there were a LOT of Grass types.
But picking the Grass type starter is the real Hard Mode for that gen.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Glazius posted:

Moving up to something approximating an actual sound chip must have been like paradise for the composers. Paradise and Gabriel's horn.

The opposite, actually! While the Game Boy does have a dedicated sound chip, it's all done in software on the GBA.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice to get in on the ground floor in this. I read the yellow and Crystal lps and enjoyed them a bunch. I couldn't really get into your conquest lp, but maybe I'll give it another try. Gen 1 and 3 were the only ones I've played to any real extent, so I'm looking forward to this.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Am I the only one who loves Torchic but hates its evos? :ohdear: I'm team mudkip allllllll the way.

And I always use a Poochyena, even though it is legitimately not a good or strong pokemon, because it's just so. drat. cute!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aesclepia posted:

Am I the only one who loves Torchic but hates its evos? :ohdear: I'm team mudkip allllllll the way.

Blaziken is great and I'll accept no insults towards it.

Combusken is an awful middle stage but teenage years tend to do that to people and I'm glad Torchic grows into an upstanding adult and a proper member of its community (said community being ubers now, Speed Boost too good).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Blaziken is great and I'll accept no insults towards it.

Combusken is an awful middle stage but teenage years tend to do that to people and I'm glad Torchic grows into an upstanding adult and a proper member of its community (said community being ubers now, Speed Boost too good).

Same.

...I also have a lot of nostalgia for Blaze, the female Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken who was the first starter I chose in Sapphire though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Tooting my horn to the next page.

• Locked thread