Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The original horns are the best and I refuse to budge on that. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlVV44BA968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxzwzSY4IXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEx6QiWTEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Verant posted:

and abusing repels when I needed to go into the ocean routes.
I honestly don't understand how anyone gets through a Pokemon game without spamming repels most of the time. The games are easy enough without grinding wild Pokemon, and the encounter rate is high enough that I'm pretty sure you'd spend several more hours on the game just dealing with them. Gen 7 making it easy to get through most routes without having to go through tall grass was a blessing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Name Zigzagoon FreeSample(s), because that's clearly what all those items are, right? :downs:

Name Ralts after Ranmaru to continue the Conquest jokes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Crosspeice posted:

I do love me the manga and it is something everyone should read at one point or another. My favourite is the DP arc, though the SM arc is shaping up pretty nicely.
:yeah:

Some of the later gen arcs suffered a bit from losing magazine space(where they're originally published before going off to volumes), causing a few rushed storylines and BW2 to still be going two gens after the games came out. But SM seems like it's hit a good stride.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Diglett dig, diglett dig, trio trio sees all.

KQLBHJHQqJLNVkW

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Name vote:

Quantum Toast posted:

Aaron, if it's male. Female... I don't know, Erin?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like I've seen more Multi-Battles in these last two updates than I have in all of ORAS.
Gamefreak generally seems kind of hesitant to have too many non-single battles in the games. RSE got several because they were the shiny new feature, Colloseum(and I think XD?) were 100% double battles, and it's all been downhill since then.

It's extra weird because double battles have been the offical tournament format for ages.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm glad darkness is basically gone in recent gens, because it was always the most boring HM(and later TM) mechanic. Doesn't open up new areas, not involved in puzzles. Just a binary "do you feel like bumbling through here blind? y/n" check.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tactless Ogre posted:

I love me some Aggron myself, but there is no greater irony/sick sense of humor greater than Gamefreak's. Give a pokemon an amazing defensive stat and make it weak against two of the most common physical attributes in the game. You've got a physically defensive steel wall that can't take a punch to the face.
That's basically Gamefreak's modus operandi with the rock type, too. Most of them are statted as slow and defensive, when the Rock type has a shitload of weaknesses & generally does better when statted as a fast glass cannon.

Of course they're going for what stats logically feel right(rocks are slow and tough) instead of what actually works well with the type, but still.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Even Gen 4 was better because the physical/special split helped a lot of dudes whose stats didn't cooperate with their types and movesets. The Dark and Ghost types were particularly hilarious because Dark used to be special and Ghost used to be physical, but after the split almost every Dark move was physical and almost every Ghost move was special.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

I appreciate the desire to incentivize people for connecting to each others' games, but it is kind of sad for people playing so much later in a game's lifetime.
It's honestly a bit worse in the games released with WFC, because they were the first time a lot of people could use any multiplayer stuff at all. Remember, Gen 3 was still in the "you need a link cable or wireless dongle and a friend physically present in the same room" era. So stuff like berry crush and the record mixing guys were things a lot of players wouldn't see even when the games were recently released.

WFC shutting down stung a lot more for Gens 4 and 5, because the multiplayer features got to be more widely and creatively(ranging from stuff like the Coil Loop/Magnemite Coil to people figuring out how to basically hack the GTS to give you any Pokemon you wanted) used.

Of course, the other post-Wifi pain is when Gamefreak makes things local wireless only for no apparent reason. :v: They've gotten better about that since Gen 6, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Blaze Dragon posted:

Absolutely nothing of importance was lost with the Game Corner's removal from the series. Voltorb Flip was horrendous but it could've been saved by merely letting you buy coins, which it didn't, so it sucked even more.

Removing it all was for the best, really, now you can just get those items and Pokemon without needing to curse your luck or waste exceedingly high amounts of money.
I'd argue that they've been replaced in spirit by postgame battle facilities, which make you slowly grind out BP for hold items/TMs/sometimes other stuff. They still involve a lot of cursing your luck, but at least you don't have to pay money to use them. :v:

On that note, I miss them giving you goals other than BP prizes(and having more to do than generic Battle Tower-alikes) - but we'll get to that once we get to the Battle Frontier 100 updates from now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Voltorb Flip's main problem was that you couldn't buy coins.

I never played the Game Corner games unless I was really bored - I just bought all the coins I needed for the prizes. Voltorb Flip made getting any prizes at all take ages in comparison.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Nimbus. :bandwagon:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I just loving realized
Route 113 is snowman from Earthbound.

WHAT THE gently caress
Great, I'm never going to unhear that. :mad:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

I'm going to enjoy my write up on Team Magma, but the quick summation of 'how' they get around the Admins... not really being the Admins from earlier in the manga, is they claim that the Admin names are actually more 'titles' than the person's real name. Also, the lack of official art for the Admins meant RS got uh... interesting
The other interesting part is how they handled the bosses' personalities.

Specifically, they wound up giving them the opposite personalities they'd have in ORAS, with RSE arc Maxie being a hotblooded wild guy and RSE arc Archie being a cool composed guy. The plot got weird when it was time to explain why they were totally different personalities from before.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
USUM follows the third game tradition of being basically the same thing, only with a lot more side content and postgame stuff to do. It also speeds things up in a few places, notable during the intro and the pre-credits plot wrapup.

It just left a sour taste in some people's mouths because the stuff people were most hyped for(Rainbow Rocket, Ultra Space rides) was all postgame & it changed the motivations of the main villain enough to miss the point of her character in SM.

e: Also if we're talking Maxie's ORAS design, let's not forget that Archie got turned into even more of a pirate somehow.

Just rolling around with an anchor necklace, nbd.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 8, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:allears:

Maxie's plan makes slightly more sense in a 'wtf were you expecting' context(more land means less crowding and humanity can develop more and we all live happily ever after), but it's still pretty stupid. "Let's make this random inland volcano erupt, that'll make more land! Also let's throw rocket fuel in it just to make sure! :downs:'

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's not a gimmick though, that's just bad use of the game's characters.
I thought the joke was supposed to be they only had like 5 people because it was so expensive to join.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I don't have any recollection of getting an amulet coin from MOM after Norman's gym. :psyduck:

Then again, it'd be easy to miss if you never went back to see her, since she doesn't have any side functions like GSC mom did.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

Also, god, the stone situation in this game. YOu mentioned it a few times but i just want to underline they made it impossible to get more than one moon stone in ruby & emerald. One single stone! ONE. WHY
And it's not like Sapphire (or FRLG, for that matter) are much better because then you have to deal with solely stealing things off Lunatone (Clefairy) which is a terrible mechanic! not helped that at absolute most, in a late game portion of meteor falls, you can only run tino them 35% of the time. Most of the other times its 10-25% with the rest being Zubats.
Despite all the things Gamefreak's improved over the years, they're consistently allergic to making evolution items easy to get more of.

It's probably a good thing they haven't introduced many stone or trade item evos in the past few gens.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Thadius posted:

It probably sees that 'Oh, the Dragon type kills things pretty dead.' Or maybe it thinks that the stat boosting move has a power value when it clearly doesn't. It might think it's going for the OHKO when the reality is it's only boosting its stats. Who knows? They certainly improved it in later generations. Pokemon don't use moves that have no effect if they can avoid it...If they don't know it doesn't have an effect. A Psychic won't use Psychic moves on a Dark type unless it's their last move, but if a Pokemon has Clear Body, the CPU will spend all day trying to lower their stats.
They introduced an extra flavor of that fun in Gen 5, because the AI has no clue how to handle a disguised Zorua.

Disguise it as something weak to Psychic and the AI will keep using Psychic moves over and over and over, despite them doing nothing each time.

Kikas posted:

Route 120 is the ultimate Hoenn track with all those trumpets. I am also pretty mad about you getting to play so many double battles in this, in the remakes there's like a third of them? The hell is wrong with you, Gamefreak.
I find it kind of weird how much they've veered away from having many in-game double/triple/rotation/etc battles, seeing as doubles is the usual official tournament format. Nevermind how many moves/abilities/etc are worthless outside of doubles.

The same reason they do it in tournaments(faster battles) would make sense for in-game scrub trainers, too. Instead they've apparently to speed things up by making sure nobody(not even rivals/team bosses/etc) gets anywhere near a full team of Pokemon until the very end of the game. :sigh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Vigoroth's pretty Cool, I guess.

-Focus Energy
-Brick Break (Combos with Focus Energy)
-Reversal
-Solar Beam

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Crosspeice posted:

Also, I'm not accepting any of the submissions, cause no one's nicknamed their Pokemon! Come on people, it's the most important part of the whole process! Keep submitting stuff, especially for Pelipper!
This is why you need to be super specific when telling people how to submit stuff. :colbert:

Haifisch posted:

Vigoroth's pretty Cool, I guess.

Nickname: Sunny

-Focus Energy
-Brick Break (Combos with Focus Energy)
-Reversal
-Solar Beam

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

wait what
Did Crystal even track where you caught a pokemon?
Yes. IIRC, there was even one NPC somewhere(I think Cianwood?) that would tell you.

This is going off fuzzy memories, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Krampus

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
GF sticking too rigidly to the originals even when it made for a less fun game happened in HGSS too(same lovely level curve, same lovely pokemon distribution, same lovely gym leader teams. They even added not-trainers to Jasmine's gym just to taunt you). :shrug:

That said, the main problems with DP were the lack of fire types(probably not getting fixed in the inevitable remakes) and the slow battle/surf speed(definitely getting fixed), so it shouldn't be that bad.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It doesn't help that they added some insulting-even-for-Pokemon levels of tutorializing(the teachy TV, I vaguely remember the first battle getting an active tutorial showing you exactly what to select, etc) and let Pokemon like Golbat try to evolve but fail, because gently caress you that's not in the original RBYdex.

And the one new area they added to Kanto was thoroughly unexciting, almost like they were terrified of making it RSE-quality and highlighting just how simplistic Kanto is compared to the regions they were capable of making on the GBA.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Say what you want about the idiocy of Team Magma's plans (even if Team Aqua's is dumber),
I dunno, trying to erupt a volcano by throwing rocket fuel in it is pretty loving dumb.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, I'll give Emerald props for having more of a plot, but removing the Legendary battle and making them postgame or optional or whatever is really lame.
To be fair this was before having a Big Plot Legendary Fight was standard. And this was also before box legendaries got boosted catch rates, so it avoided interrupting the plot with half an hour of "GET IN THE loving BALL."

Especially since there's a certain postgame trick you could use to never have to deal with that nonsense again(and keep it that way until they stopped letting you transfer items between gens), if you were wise enough to save your Master Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Explopyro posted:

The story in this game is so weird. I appreciate what they were trying to do, and I think it's better than R/S in quite a few ways, but this is such an anticlimactic scene: one moment everyone is panicking over the world ending, but the contingency plan of getting a dragon to yell at the monsters solves everything, it's all over everyone go home now. They tried to make a dramatic cutscene and music, but I don't think that salvages the fact that this is literally a plot solved by waking up a dragon so it can yell.

Now let's talk about one of those weird video game tropes I really don't like: breaking immersion to give the player story information through menu options. There is literally no way for the player character to have heard of the Sky Pillar before this (this is literally the first instance of that text in the game as far as I know), so having them say it comes completely out of nowhere, and ends up breaking the story. Characters should have reasons for doing things! (I'd never seen the text for choosing the other options though, thanks for showing that! Those responses just smack of :effort: ) I kind of get why they do this, if they can't think of a better way to convey the information, but surely that should be an indication that the story/scenario planning needs some work still?
If Emerald was released now there'd definitely be a huge build-up to the legend of Groudon/Kyogre and how Rayquaza is the only one who can calm them, with the Sky Pillar brought up around the time Groudon awakens. And instead of having to guess where it is, Steven or someone would bring it up and direct you there.

Although compared to previous gens at the time, I remember 2005 me being impressed at what we got. Gamefreak gets way better at storytelling each gen, even if they stumble a few times along the way. Even going from Gen 1's "You're stopping Team Rocket because you happen to come across them doing evil things, and are forced to fight them to progress. That's it, that's the entire 'plot'." to Gen 2's "Team Rocket's :qq:ing about Giovanni going missing, and you have a few barebones story reasons nudging you to stop them." was an obvious difference. Gen 3's far from perfect but it's still leaps and bounds ahead of both of those. And Gen 4's leagues ahead of Gen 3.

• Locked thread