Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

MagusofStars posted:

I almost never pick the water starter in any Pokémon game for this reason. In every game, there are like dozens of viable water types to choose from...but the fire and grass types are consistently some combination of rare / mediocre / not available till really late game.

Unless you're playing Gen V. Where there were a LOT of Grass types.
But picking the Grass type starter is the real Hard Mode for that gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Crosspeice posted:

It's alright, I only found out last year.

Yeah cause who even USES select ever? Aside from "dedicated bike button". It's a shame we're not gonna see Lotad for a while, cause Ludicolo is great and he really saved my rear end more then once in my X playthrough, where you can get him fairly early. Gets great coverage, can pick up Ice Beam and stuff like Focus Blast or Giga Impact. Love my dancing sombrero pineapple duck.

Ranmaru and Freesample let's go.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

War Greymon

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Having played ORAS extensively and enjoying all the small improvements to movement (like the switchable on-the-fly bike), I gotta say:

gently caress THESE TWO ROCKS

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

I maintain my opinion on the matter that Wonder Trade is the new Game Corner and it's actually better. The post-game battle facilities are something else entirely.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

BTW, with abilities added to the game I figured you'd include them in the black-background Pokemon cards, especially since Pokemon can have one of 2 of these.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

I don't remember Gym Leaders being particularly special in the RS manga, so maybe start with theam Aqua/Magma cause they do a lot in that plot. Especially Magma.

Also, when we're talking about Archie/Maxie, I have to post this:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 8, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

At least ORAS understood that Magma/Aqua grunts are shite and gave us that whole Horde battle with them 3/4th into the game. Cause beating 5 trainers would be tedious, so here they are all at once.
Shame Crosspiece will have to deal with them 2 at a time.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Those Horde battles were actually a really cool way to deal with Rocket Grunt (Regional edition). I mean they all have like one or two shitmons so just dunk on them all at the same time right? I wish Sun/Moon did that with the Team Skull punks.

It's a bit different, cause SM has you battling 4 or 5 punks over and over again, that's why their teams don't change much.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Kurieg posted:

Norman gets a very rude trick in ORAS, even more rude than Facade.

Retaliate.

a BP 70 move that doubles to 140 if your pokemon fainted in the previous turn. Also Slaking can always attack the turn he comes in.

Norman has two Slakings in ORAS.

It does gently caress you up, but the 3D animation for Retaliate is so goddamn amazing it makes up for it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Radio Free Kobold posted:

So you charge the guy, chop him in half, and cherry blossoms blow in the wind? That's samurai as hell :allears:

The way people were first introduced to it was also cool as hell, cause in XY, it's one of the more standard moves you'll see on Honedge (or Doublade) who's a loving sword. It looks exactly like you think it does.

Now, with Slaking being a bigass sloth, it looks like loving punches you in half, which is bad rear end in it's own way.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

This would have been an excellent place for No Guard Fissure Machamps if they existed back in Gen III.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Glazius posted:

I like how this game switches up its double battles. You've got some pincer attacks but also just some pairs hanging out.

Which is another thing that got shafted in the remakes for some stupid reason :v:

Haifisch posted:

Despite all the things Gamefreak's improved over the years, they're consistently allergic to making evolution items easy to get more of.

It's probably a good thing they haven't introduced many stone or trade item evos in the past few gens.
I have spent 7 real world days upgrading and farming my Poke Pelagio in Sun so I could get a Dusk Stone for my Mismagius. That being said, the animation for "INTO THE MINES YOU GO" when you make Pokemon explore the caves for items makes me laugh every time.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Ou, we'll get to submit our ideas for that other area as well? Nice, time to cook up some really niche 'mons.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

I vote for Hetty.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Route 120 is the ultimate Hoenn track with all those trumpets. I am also pretty mad about you getting to play so many double battles in this, in the remakes there's like a third of them? The hell is wrong with you, Gamefreak.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

quote:

Got an item by this, uh, thing? What is this anyway?

Like the doctor said to my wife: it's a buoy! :downsrim:
It looks like it's supposed to be one of the buoys/markers that are placed on the far end of a pier or breakwaters at the port entrance. They guide ships into the port and are color coded so you don't gently caress it up. When going along a water route, the red one should be on your right and the green one on your left, but basically if you're between them it's all fine.

Funny enough, the intention here could be to indicate that this is a dangerous place for ships - that's what the yellow color indicates. Although it should be in the water if that's the case - a yellow buoy of any kind means basically "don't go between this and the land", so I guess what's in the image above is technically correct if useless for navigation. If there were two of those this would make a bit more sense but hey, will the kids ever notice?

HOWEVER, in ORAS they did step up their game and turned this into a full fledged Lighthouse, so maybe this was they intention from the start, with the yellow ball being a comically oversized lightbulb. Lighthouses don't have to be actual buildings anymore irl, so maybe that's what they were going for but didn't really translate well for a GBA game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Ibblebibble posted:

I've always wanted to do a mono-poison run myself.

I would think that Gen V would be a good place to start, just cause you can get Scolipede.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

OgretailFood posted:

Just change the game corner for a wrestling arena and move that thing to Pastoria

You mean the Battle Royale arena, with a special guest appearance from none other than the Masked Royal!

Haifisch posted:

That said, the main problems with DP were the lack of fire types(probably not getting fixed in the inevitable remakes) and the slow battle/surf speed(definitely getting fixed), so it shouldn't be that bad.

I just hope they stick to Rental Pokemon and fix the Sinnoh problem of too many drat HMs.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Blaze Dragon posted:

And hey, it's cool to see the Crosspeice OG team back, though you know, this is Gen 3, why haven't you evolved that Seadra? :v:

Cause you need the National Pokedex for that :v: Which means, like Crosspiece mentioned, getting 60 Pokemon, finding Lostelle and becoming Champion.

Man the Sevii Islands felt so cool when I got to this point in the Pokemon Adventures manga, but after I've actually played them it's been a one long disappointing fart.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

I vote for a big, Winding Blue Cave Base on Route 120

And obviously, Note Blocks for decroations! GAFG BAFG would be a nice pattern to put them in I think.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Just noticed that the overworld sprite for Registeel doesn't have the correct dot pattern. Huh.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

I mean the cruelty of Archie and Maxie isn't much compared to a what Cyrus was planning, plus Cyrus is a loving LUNATIC in the DPPt arc, but that's a discussion for the next LP.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Porygon2 (Grafix) @Leftovers
255 SpA 255 Speed 4 HP
Trace, Modest (not shiny)
Hyper Beam
Tri Attack
Recover
Substitute

Battle Pyramid + Battle Pike

Kikas fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 4, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Crosspeice posted:

Only one Pokemon will be chosen, unless we get less than 15 people submitting. Also please state which EV stats you'll be using as well as which set you'll be entering, or I'll just overlook it, Kikas!

Also if you don't mention if you want a Pokemon as shiny, I'll just coin flip on whether it is.

Okay, decided on one and fixed the EV spreads, I shouldn't post right before going to bed :v:

Porygon2 (Grafix) @Leftovers
255 SpA 255 Speed 4 HP
Trace, Modest (not shiny)
Hyper Beam
Tri Attack
Recover
Substitute

Battle Pyramid + Battle Pike. Set 2.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Solumin posted:

Holy poo poo. Who is writing Pokemon Special, and can they please get some therapy? I know that series tends to be darker than the games, but it sounds like the RS arc goes way too far.

Beating the poo poo out of your son and telling him you're doing it because you love him is practically a cliche of child abuse. And apparently it's all because of the thing with the Salamence, which honestly sounds like a gaping plot hope. Ruby almost defeated the Salamence, which is impressive, but no one else was able to stop it? If this had happened before the move, Ruby was still a child and barely a Trainer at all. Why would Norman even need to take the blame? Shouldn't they be glad a child was able to defend themselves against a rampaging dragon?

Reading that post has left me feeling sick.

You're gonna love the next arc Gen VI as a whole.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

rannum posted:

roaming pokemon were almost tolerable in DPt and that's because the poketch tracked their current location.
Except even then this is offset by Cresselia & Mesprit needing to train up a wobuffet and platinum having 5 roaming pokemon. And all three of the legendary birds knew roost because gently caress you!
I mean gen 4 is the gen that introduced a metric shitton of legendaries which still haunt my dreams when I think about completing any kind of Pokedex, so it gets no free pass when talking about legends.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Phew, Grafix pulled through. I was worried I doomed you to lose after I've seen the second Porygon2 set posted after me cause it seemed just so much better. Also I have a question, if your Pokémon uses a two turn move in the Pallace, like Fly or Hyper Beam, does the game still roll for attack on the second turn?

Plus, don't Sand Stream and that one ability that causes hail seem a bit OP in the Palace?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Grafix hacked the RNG for you so you could win :yayclod:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

And then Deoxys sends Green's parents (which she spent her entire life tracking) into a void as she watches but can't warn them, which breaks her mind and puts her in a coma.

Pokemon manga is pretty extreme at parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Another LP put to bed, and what a great one it was. I really missed out on a lot of stuff in this gen having only played ORAS, not the originals, so thanks for showing that off. I'm also 2/2 for my Pokemon actually being useful in your attemps at Battle Something, so that's cool :v: I acutally enjoy you skipping battles in favor of the trainer text - somehow I am a huge sucker for this and in a SSLP it's hard to keep Pokemon battling interesting when half of 500 trainers use like 25 Pokemon (or something like 10 total if you're Team Magma/Aqua). I think your formula is very good, with Side Notes and stuff I feel like I get the ultimate complete Pokemon experience. Especially with the regional stuff and whatnot, it's so great to have someone explain it in a manner that's comprehensible and a light read that isn't "let's copy Bulbapedia word for word".

Can't wait for the games I keep hearing good stuff about but never played cause getting a Gamecube in my country is still a pain in the rear end - I think Nintendo literally didn't have an official distributor around here on GC launch :v: On that note I will be missing videos of the battles, cause I haven't seen the games in action yet, but it's your decision.

• Locked thread