Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It was. That's the point.

Ruby is a master at doing incredibly stupid stuff because he cares a lot about the people close to him, and Sapphire even moreso, but also never takes into consideration what they think or feel. This is a consistent thing, even in ORAS Ruby is still just as bad about it.

I mean I get that was the point, but the entire sequence was just...Nothing about it was like "ah, this is an interesting turn of events" for me, the conceit just fell flat. Especially when everything goes to poo poo, we just undo it all (also dumb!) instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

There must have been a better way to end the RS Arc than surprise Celebi. Like come on, what's even the point of that? It really boggles the mind, cause it's such a sharp twist that it nearly breaks the story's neck.

Also the romance between Ruby and Sapphire went nowhere, mainly cause of Ruby being an aloof prick, which infuriates the shipper in me that I try to suppress at every moment.

You'd have to really try to gently caress up a rental facility and boy did they give it a go!

Fun Fact: originally, before thinking of the RR storyline, the villains were just going to show up in battle agency like how cynthia, wally, etc show up in the battle tree.
dodged that bullet

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Let's finish this up
Brandon & the Battle Pyramid

Brandon was the final brain Ash went against and also, as you'd figure his toughest. Brandon's anime personality is being very stern, doesn't get frazzled, always yelling NOOO, and he's kinda judgmental. His introduction is dressing down the kids for trespassing on the ruins of PokeLantis (yeah...), telling them to leave, for example. And considers Ash an impatient child. Which to be fair he is considering he rushses off in the ruins and gets possessed by the king of PokeLantis who trapped his dark soul in a pokeball after ho-oh destroys his kingdom. But hey whom among us haven't unleashed an ancient evil or two in our times.
Oh also he's an archaeologist(/tomb raider), which I think is a cute way of representing the pyramid's exploration aspects. He's going through the ruins of PokeLantis to discover and document it, then oops Ash got possessed so he has to fix this mess with a battle.

The writers clearly saw that Brandon was the only Brain who had nothing but legendaries in both his teams so he gets to use all 3 Regi. And boy does Ash just not deal well with these things. Regirock tanks everything Sceptile throws at it despite the dirty tricks employed (going for the legs, burying him in ceiling rubble, hiding behind the referree) and then gets it in one blow with lock on - hyper beam.

But that was just a weird evil spirit. So after saving him (with help from Pikachu), he gives Ash another dressing down (fair) and tells him to not be an arrogant prick next time.

Several episodes later Ash tries again, but not before another ruin where Brandon find the location of a sealed chamber and still gives Ash some poo poo about the whole "was so arrogant you got possessed by an evil king" thing. Brandon uses a Registeel this time in a 1 v 1 against his Torkoal and just totally no sells everything except for this one time where Torkoal gets paralyzed and...passes that paralysis through Registeel? In return he does the equally weird thing of using sandstorm to make a sand tornado to pick up torkoal's heat wave???? There's no GIFs of the amount of spinning that goes on in this battle which is a shame, but it all ends thanks to lock on -> zap cannon.

Brandon does finally acknowledge that Ash improved and he'll happily face him again after another ruin trip. There's actually this whole mini-arc where they stick around the same area, the cast figures what they're going to do next and Ash tries to figure out how to get around lock on and settles on bringing in bulbasaur, squirtle & charizard. After some training there's no way they can lose!

Brandon comes back with his newly captured Regice, agrees to a 4v4 battle, and starts off by getting rid of Charizard with his...Dusclops. Shoutout to Ash forgetting Dusclops is a ghost type, trying to use Seismic Toss, causing the power up theme music to cut out and Dusclops to get the win. I think the writers figured going against all 3 Regi would probably be a bit much, so it's Dusclops, Ninjask, Solrock & Regice. It bleeds into another 2-episode battle and is pretty solid, they do a good job of showing Brandon's experience. Positioning, move combos, turning the arena into an ice rink, it's pretty varied. "Gathering the Gang of Four" and "Pace - the Final Frontier" if you're interested.
If you're wondering how Ash gets around lock on...he doesn't. Regice doesn't have it. Ice Beam, Blizzard, Focus Punch & Rest (no chesto berry though). This entire string of episodes had a big uptick in quality but the set up & follow through still leaves some desire. There's an interesting implication that Ash only beat Regice since it was so new: it was taking more hits and had ot heal off its damage, and might be why it didnt have a lock on combo. Ash also knocks Regice out in one Volt Tackle after a successful Rest which...

Brandon Ash and accepts loss with ease and he's happy that Ash improved so much. He doesn't even yell NOOO a single time, where as he did it like 6 times each other time.

But despite having 4 episodes all about him + several filler about preparing for him, Brandon's not done. He has the three Regi which means he gets to show up in Sinnoh!

Brandon is here to deal with waking up & capturing this absolute unit. Which doesn't go very well, because Regigigas wakes up, takes control of his Pokemon and causes everyone to go berserk and go on an unstoppable rampage out of the temple and into Snowpoint. We get to see Brandon in actual distress over his friends and has to do the whole "remember who you are" shtick. Its the only time we get to see him like this and it's fun to see it being done to 3 robots who have no faces to show actual emotion.

but also

He gets an entire episode where he trashes Ash's biggest rival, Paul. Before Paul came to Sinnoh, he followed his brother around and saw him lose hard to Brandon despite beating the rest of the Frontier. Unlike Ash, he let the loss go and went to be a Pokemon Breeder. But Paul resents the whole thing, loses his cool and that causes him to lose the battle as well. It's the only time we see Paul act like that, otherwise he's just kind of a cool headed jerk.
This was also a 6 vs 6 battle and Brandon only used his legends. Paul didn't KO a single one.

A lot of people think Brandon might be Paul's father due to their close resemblance, but it's never stated.

As for the Pyramid itself, its a giant, glassy pyramid THAT'S ALSO AN AIRSHIP? The four corner extend outwards and allow for giant turbines to take flight so it can move all over as needed. We even get to see the inside of it several times: there's the battle arena in the upper part of the pyramid, the tip of it opens into a sky light, the under portions are where regirock & steel hang out to handle intruders and there's a pilot are near the top as well.
Presumably Brandon lives in here and I believe keeps all the stuff he finds on display. By far the most realized of the actual facilities in this entire thing.

rannum fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 30, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Now for stuff I'm probably gonna change: I won't be putting videos in my Pokemon SSLPs anymore, it just didn't seem worth it. Sure, they didn't take particularly long to make and it's nice to have them, but with how little views they get and how they've got no commentary or any real spark in them just isn't interesting to me. Also, the next LP will help me a lot with this, but I think I need to show off battles more. There were A LOT of trainers in this game, nearly 500 before we even reached the Battle Frontier and I feel like I'm not showing off the fun stuff, just the trainer text, which doesn't seem that interesting. This was especially apparent in the FRLG stuff, where I barely showed our old team doing anything. It made me wonder why I was bringing them back to just show off trainer text, it just seemed a little pointless, but I did make those images quite a few months ago. Also the Victory Road update was pretty short and I could've given it more by showing off more battling. But is that something you're interested in seeing? Do you not care? Please let me know.

I think a little more battling pics to help spice up an update would be fine. But at the same time don't force yourself to show like..every thunderbolt or EVERY trainer battle in full detail.
Though this wont really be a problem in the gamecube games since there's less overall trainer battles and also the structure of the game(s) make it so there's more going on turn to turn. Colosseum in particular I remember having most of its trainers pull something on me, even if they didnt have a shadow pokemon.

Very looking forward to those LPs by the way, I have a big soft spot for them. And to an extent, they'll pair nicely with that Reborn LP OFS is doing.

quote:

Finally, please tell me of any kind of critique you have of how I write my commentary, how I present things, the image size and all that, I'm really getting into the swing of this stuff, but I want to make sure I don't fall into the trap of doing whatever I fancy and getting too up my own arse. Is my commentary getting too over the top? Too annoying? Too wacky or HEE-LARIOUS? Do you care about the Japanese side of things? Am I too descriptive in my mechanic talks? Not descriptive enough? I'm always interested in how you guys like my stuff!

Finally, a big thanks to all those who submitted ideas and Pokemon for the LP, especially to Onmi and rannum for their anime/manga write ups and to Explopyro for diving deeper into some mechanics than I ever would. Cheers to everyone for reading, watching, partaking and discussing, this has been great fun. Now, on to Orre!
I think your current style is just fine. Just enough mix of informative, summarizing, jokes and such. I also like how you handle battle facilities, in general.

And thank you for such a nice LP!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have a broken b tag here, namely, the b tag of the title is not closed. Great summaries though, I left the anime by the beginning of the Battle Frontier so this is all new to me.

Ah, thanks, fixed. And glad you enjoyed them, it was fun going back and watching the episodes for these.
I was kind of ragging on the anime throughout, and while the BF saga in particular is a lot of missed opportunity I found the battles fairly enjoyable and May's contests were generally better here than in the hoenn saga proper. The last 10 or so episodes in particular are all pretty great and that carried over into the DP series through pretty much its entire 3 or 4 year run.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So Pikachu can sometimes use electric attacks on Ground-types, but Seismic Toss still doesn't work on Ghosts.

Alright. :v:
In fairness to the original series, "aim for the horn" was a cute way of getting around things at a time where abilities wasn't around. And the Onix was covered in water. And the donphan was.....w-well anyway the anime usually tries to stick closer to how typing works as time goes on.

Instead it tries to go for other, sometimes nonsensical interactions like what happened in Torkoal vs Registeel. They're still doing that, for that matter; the Valerie battle in XY Ash has Hawlucha literally break Trick Room apart.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kurieg posted:

So let's talk about Wish Chansey. It was a special Chansey that knew Wish and Sweet Scent and was only available in Fire Red and Leaf Green.

And by "Available" i mean "Was only distributed at the New York City Pokemon center for roughly 17 days" Also you had to get lucky enough to get a Chansey, there were a bunch of other pokemon(that also knew Wish) that you could get instead out of your mystery egg.

Why is this important?

Because there is no legitimate way for Chansey to know Wish outside of this event. And since it was a promotion for FR/LG games you could move tutor Seismic Toss onto the Chansey, which it also could not(at the time) learn any other way.

And then come generation 5 they changed Wish so that it heals for 50% of the user's hit points rather than the recipients and Oh yeah doesn't Blissy have the highest hit point total in the game?

There were definitely more Wishtoss Blisseys roaming around on the wifi than there were people who actually went to the NYC Pokemon center.

It did in generation 1!
I think stuff like this is why gen 6 started having the "native" symbol on Pokemon. It cleans up all the old weird super limited events.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I'm glad we've had the anime and manga stuff, since I'd forgotten how whack some of it was. Especially the anime, the BF arc was cool, but man did it waste potential. Should've just kept the series in Hoenn, going to Kanto for it was pretty darn pointless for the most part.

Lets Go Eevee/Pikachu will probably force Ash back to Kanto (I think he did say he wanted to try the league again...) so maybe we'll get the fanservice the BF arc probably should have provided.

Like, the Battle Arena is right next to Saffron City. And the BA is a fighting dojo. And they just did nothing with this! There were a few episodes *in* Saffron and one was a contest and the other was a ramen pasta battle.
The Battle Pyramid's second & third matches are in & near the Indigo Plataeu, but you see nothing of the anime's league arenas or olympic village or what have you
I'm firmly in the "please leave kanto alone" camp these days but if you're going to go there anyway, roll out that fanservice.

Outside of Pallet/Viridian/Pewter/Cerulean chunk of Kanto the only other reference was inexpliacbly

The top of this skyscraper in the filler town of Hophophop Town is referenced in an entirely different unnamed filler town in BF (featuring a...scizor who doodles on pokemon's faces)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Isn't that the skyscraper where Team Rocket try to kidnap a Hypno?

I only remember it for this exchange:

"Why didn't we do this earlier?"
"We had to fill out the half-hour."

Yes, it's a bunch of high class socialites who have trouble sleeping so they use Hypno & Drowzee to get to sleep. After one of their drowzee evolved, the (mumblemumbledreamwavesmumble) react with children in the city and make them think they';re Pokemon and run away.

None of this is mentioned or referenced in the BF episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I will say I kind of wish you had detailed the leader rematches a bit more here & in HGSS. Some of the teams are pretty interesting. I can't blame you for not detailing all of them, though. I mean HGSS had 16 of the things.
Like Bugsy brings out a Shedinja. Lt Surge devotes a team slot to a Pachirisu & that's fantastic.. Brock...keeps his Onix still, because he's gota theme dang it.
Roxanne basically turns into Brock 3.0: she gets Kabutops, Omastar, an Onix (that becomes a steelix), evolves his Graveler.
Or how the early leaders take like 3 of their 4 matches to get up to post-game levels. Roxanne's first is with unevovled pokemon at level 35
All the Emerald leader rematches are also double battles. I mean that was shown in your screenshots, but I find it notable because that's something they never did again.

Course that doesn't really matter moving forward since the only other game with proper rematches is...Platinum.

• Locked thread