Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Here's an update, cause why not.

Finally, we will be getting a new teammate pretty soon, so what do you call a cotton birb?

Also suggest a nickname for Slugma and Nincada, since we'll be using them for a few things, might as well, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also unfortunately, Compound Eyes is only a 1.5x multiplier to the chances of a Pokemon holding an item, not +50%.

Tested on poor Spinda, meaning it's a 7.5% chance instead of a 55% chance. Rip getting some super important items without hacking. So, uh, we'll be getting them that way.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Votes so far!

Nimbus: 8
blue bird: 3
Creampuff: 2
Birb Hat: 1
Reginald: 1
Skye: 1

Kyuubey: 3
Slugmom: 2
EZ Hatch: 1

YEEEAARRT!: 1
Locust: 1

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, voting has been closed! Lots of voting, super nice to see.

Nimbus for Swablu, Slugmom for Slugma (by 1 vote) and YEEEAARRT! for Nincada, winning with just two votes. Mental.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 10: Ash Me Outside

Route 112

"I'm somewhat decent!"

Uh, what? Well, uh, welcome back to Emerald, let's reach the next town already.

Nobunaga up to level 26 there.

Are you busy right now? I was thinking that maybe we can have a rematch right now... but it's all right if you're busy.

I like the way you battle. It has a certain flair to it.

We'll grab the Rawst and Pecha berries and then head back onto Route 111 to run immediately headfirst into a Cooltrainer ♂. Don't you just hate when that happens?

There is much to be learned from your training style. I request a rematch if it behooves you. POKEMON and TRAINERS learn much through battling. What's important is to never give up even if you lose.

I'm thinking about making my own room here using a POKEMON move. I know! I'll give you this TM. Will you use it to make your own room?

Use SECRET POWER in front of the tree. Some vines should get free and drop down, so you can climb the tree. You'll find a lot of space for putting your favorite things. It'll be your own secret room... a SECRET BASE! You should make one, too. Another thing, you don't always have to make your SECRET BASE in a tree. Try using SECRET POWER on rock walls that have small indents in them. I'm going to look for other places, too. Okay, bye!

Secret Power is an interesting move, like Nature Power, but remains a Normal move with 70BP, 20PP and 100% accuracy that has a 30% chance of causing a secondary effect, depending on the terrain, listed here, which is pretty nice, but like Nature Power, it's not dependable and it's a weaker Body Slam in competitive. It also has the field effect of creating a Secret Base, but we haven't explored the region much, nor got anything to really use in our base, so we'll save it for later.

Yeah sure, we could use this. We haven't gone that far, but why not.

If you'd like, rest up here. That's a fine idea! You should do that. That's right. Take your time and rest up!

Do do do do dooooo

You should take another rest here. That's a fine idea. You should do that. Is that so? You don't need to be shy about it.

I don't get why they ask you again, it's confused me since I was a kid.

Oh hey it's our interview.

"And 'GO EASY'...

Uh sure, random choice is definitely significant.

Making use of the Mach Bike, oh yeah.

"as yourself."

Is, uh, that all that's up here?

Guess so. Neat.

And they gave me lots of BERRIES, too. Here you go! You can have it!

I'm going to try really hard and make BERRIES in different colors. I hope you try hard, too!

We've got Razz and Oran berries. You guessed it, Razz berries don't do anything.

"I have to ask you for an engagement."

At least take me on a date first!

Ah, there's the nice early Psychic for Ranmaru, just what I needed.

I wish I could become friends with more strong people like you! I thought I was raising my POKEMON diligently, but, oh no, there is still much to be done.

We're all set, play that funky music, white boy!

Route 113

Aw yeah, that's the stu-

Imma turn 360 degrees and walk right out of using this thing. That's a fun gimmick with its stats, but it does not make it usable in the slightest, even though it has the wide movepool Normal types usually get. So yeah, let's talk about its spot gimmick instead. Like I've discussed when going over the PID, Spinda has four spots that appear on its face and ears, though the x and y co-ordinates can land outside the sprite. There's a lot of different combinations and some can look pretty dumb but yeah, that's the only interesting thing about this mon, aside from looking cute.

Own Tempo prevents the Pokemon from being confused, including self-inflicted confusion, making moves like Thrash and Outrage much better.

Trap trap trap trap. A very interesting Pokemon that only isn't that great because it evolves! Hear me out, its Attack will never get any better and it'll gain special STAB when it evolves, but its Special Attack will never be as good to compensate. When it evolves into Vibrava, its Attack will actually go down a fair bit to boost its other stats and its level up moves are pretty bad, since the best STAB will be, uh, Sand Tomb, while it continues to learn Dark moves. I guess you could teach it Dig, which is ugh, but other physical attacks will take it super far due to its amazing Attack (Rock Tomb does more damage lol). When it's fully evolved with STAB Earthquake, then it'll do great, but right now it's in a bit of an awkward stage.

Arena Trap prevents a grounded foe from fleeing or switching out, which is super great, though useless against the roamers of RSE and not using your Master Ball on the roamers of FRLG is a super bad idea. Still, it's a great way to set up, or to remove a problem so it can't switch out. It also boosts the encounter rate by 100%.

The volcanic ash blocks the sun, so it doesn't get very warm. That's good for me--I can't stand the heat!

Seriously though, this route is great, unlike anything we've seen in the series, with great music, hidden items aplenty and being able to see what grass patches you've walked through. A good place all around.

You spun and what did you win? A slow tank with a lot of weaknesses? Well shoot. It's not the end of the world, immunities to Electric and Ground and pretty nice and your attacking stats aren't horrendous later on, so the early Psybeam helps, though you'll have no Ground STAB aside from Mud Slap (what a surprise). You could always explode if you can't get your way. Still, you're supposed to stall out foes and that's not great in single player, but you get all the tools you need, Cosmic Power, both screens, Toxic, etc. And STAB Earthquake is never bad. It's just hard to justify using TMs on.

Hey kid, you wanna go fast? No, like really, really, REALLY fast? There's only one Pokemon faster than Ninjask in the entire game and one turn of Speed Boost will change that, so yeah, it's fast. Shame it can't really do anything about that, since it has an awful typing and STAB options. Still, Aerial Ace and, uh, Fury Cutter from that Attack will hurt. You can get Silver Wind through breeding at least and can even use Shadow Ball! Maybe passing Swords Dance and Speed Boosts might be preferable, since it'll fall over pretty drat easily and it's better to help something else rip through the enemy instead of trying (and failing) to do it yourself.

Speed Boost increases the Pokemon's Speed by one stage at the end of the turn. With Protect, this is guaranteed +1 in every battle, making you the fastest Pokemon in the game, period.

I'll use my ninjitsu on you... "VOLCANIC ASH SWIRL CLOAK!" ...what? It's already over?

Why are there three guys in this enclosed area?

Aren't you just the coolest? Humph!

You know what's crummy about hiding? It's lonely if no one comes along.

I ought to hide under the ashes, too.

The haul was worth it, it usually is.

"my dear NUMEL."

Here, slide under my parasol. Let me register you in my POKENAV. You're very good at this. I must say I'm impressed!

(TIA) Both of us, we collect ashes. We battle POKEMON, too.

(TIA) We couldn't win... It's boring, so I'm getting some more ashes. We have a lot of ashes! I think enough for a WHITE FLUTE!

I want to collect ash too, but I've only got 30 spaces in my bag...

That's some good poo poo right there.

I must refine the art of concealment. I bid thee farewell.

I'm specially gifted, huff-puff. I make glass out of volcanic ash and make items, huff-puff. Go collect ashes with this, huff-puff.

And it will fill up with the volcanic ash, huff-puff. Once you think you've collected a good amount, come see me, huff-puff.

I think this is the only hidden TM in the entire series, but don't quote me on that, you monster. We'll go over the glass items when we've finished the route.

Get it? Ashes and eyelashes? Okay, that was bad, sorry...

That's a sneaky item right there. Let's go collect some ash!

Oh yeah, steel birb is a 5% encounter. Bit annoying, but hey.

Oh! You've got a lot of ashes, huff-puff!

The glass items are pretty cool, if super frustrating to get. After collecting a certain amount of ash, you can buy various flutes, or even decorations. Here is where I'll go into further detail, but it is quite the grind if you want the good stuff (well, decorations).

A BLUE FLUTE it is, then, huff-puff! Okay! I'll make it for you, huff-puff. Just wait a little while, huff-puff. ... Ah, I've finished your BLUE FLUTE. Take it, huff-puff.

I dunno why the most useful flute is the cheapest, but hey, now we don't have to worry about Sleep for the rest of the game and it'll save those Full Heals.

Here's a basic birb that hits pretty hard with Normal and Flying moves and, well, that's about it. You can give it Steel Wing and Fly and it'll do you just fine, if nothing that'll blow you away. Shame the best Flying move you'll learn is Aerial Ace, but Brave Bird didn't exist yet and Return will make up for it, so yeah, that was easy!

A... what? I don't know what to say when I get beaten so easily...

Losing burns me up... I'm just going to sleep right here! Zzz!

Fallarbor Town

Fallarbor Town/Hajitsuge Town: A farm community with small gardens.
From fall (or autumn to the rest of the civilised world) and arbor (tree), and hajiro (chestnut brown) and tsuge (Japanese boxwood).

So that means you use the POKEMON Storage System I developed. How I arrived at that conclusion is a simple deductive process. You spoke to me because you wanted to access something on this PC. Oh, I'm sorry. I'm LANETTE. Honestly, I'm glad to meet you--it's great you're using the Storage System. If you could, please visit me at home. My house is on ROUTE 114.

So there's not much in Fallarbor Town, most of this update will be covering the final Battle Tent. Still, there's not nothing here.

Ah, Great, Super and Super, just what I like to see.

"TEAM MAGMA."

Sounds like a safe and good idea.

Ah, finally, finally, we have the Move Tutor.

"teach POKEMON these moves."

I can teach a move to a POKEMON of yours if you'd like. I'll do if for a HEART SCALE. I'm collecting those now.

FINALLY, you can teach your Pokemon previous level up moves (that doesn't involve fuckin Stadium 2), which is huge for certain Pokemon that just miss out on moves when they evolve, or had forgotten by the time you caught them. The Heart Scale cost is negligible, since we've got a few already and you can farm them very easily later. Still, there's only a few reasons to use this guy, but forgetting moves for HMs becomes a lot easier now.

Route 114

We'll tackle the Battle Tent at the end of the update, but there's something super important we need to get on Route 114, so let's go!

He loves digging holes, too... he dug this hole by himself... You can have this, so you can DIG holes, just like my big brother...

Man remember when Dig had 100BP? Well it's poo poo now, but some Ground types might not have a choice...

Do you want a FOSSIL? But the FOSSILS around these parts all belong to me... none for you... If you can't bear to go without a FOSSIL, look in a desert where there are boulders and sand that may hide FOSSILS...

This slimy guy ain't a bad option when it comes to Hoenn Water types, since its attacking stats are split for its STABs. It gets alright starting moves in Water Gun and Magnitude (if a bit unreliable), but it will need Surf and Earthquake soon enough. Thankfully if you hold off evolution for 1 level, you'll get Earthquake, which is a huge boon. Otherwise Ice Beam and Rock Tomb will have to do, but until you get to that point of evolution, it's gonna be a little rough. Still, you can't catch it until after Surf anyway, so it'll be all ready for you as soon as you get it. Nice!

This time I'll do it! I always think that, so I can't walk away from fishing or POKEMON.

Have we not seen Mud Sport yet? Oh man, it's a 15PP Ground move that reduces the base power of Electric moves by 50% on both sides until the user switches out. Uh, 6 Pokemon learn this that aren't already immune to Electric moves, so this move is pathetic at best.

Neat

Gonna ignore everything else and get our fourth team member! It's about time.

It'll be perfect. Swablu is cute as all heck, but pretty drat hard to use. It'll never have amazing attacking stats and will take some time to evolve, but it's not completely awful, mainly cause of its evolution. It really doesn't learn anything for moves, only having Peck until level 31 with Take Down. Still, it will become a special attacker later on and get an alright move then, as well as a really expanded TM movepool, but it might not be the best option for all those TM moves, since its stats are kinda low. Also being a special tank is a little difficult when you become 4x weak to Ice, but such is life.

Alright, its at the highest level it can be and gives us some much needed gender diversity, so hopefully it's pretty good.

Thanks to Kemix for the nickname Nimbus, good choice. A Naive nature is +Speed, -Sp.Def, which is, uh, not the best, but screw it, I'll take it. Also, this movepool needs fixing.

Much better, some coverage and an actual STAB move to work with. Sure, Secret Power ain't great, but it'll do for now. Right, we'll see how she fares next update, but for now, we've got a Battle Tent to conquer.

Battle Tent

But, you see, what I'm looking for are people with... how should I say this? Someone bursting with the desire and the drive to win. If there were a TRAINER like that, I'd immediately... whoops! Never mind! Keep working at it! Instead of wasting your time with the likes of me, why not make a challenge?

Now, do you wish to take the challenge of a Set KO Tourney? Very well, now select your three POKEMON, please. I shall now guide you to the BATTLE TENT.

So what's different this time around? Well not too much seems different at first, but there are a few key things we'll go over in a moment.

Alright, good start.

Pfft, using these rubbish non-attacking moves. What's the point of Pokemon if you don't just attack all the time at every second?

Oh no! I've been foiled by a non-attacking move! How could I have not seen this coming???

Still nearly one shot it with that attack, hilarious. One thing you'll notice is you can't choose what Pokemon to send out next, the order you chose at the start of the challenge is the order they'll come out.

No contest, these three are way too strong for these tents. Just like I planned.

Right now this Set KO Tourney just has a load of extra text boxes cause I'm ending the battles so quickly. Uh, just like I planned.

Hey now, I'm sure you've got some cool Pokemon.

You know what actually, gently caress you.

I can't believe you made this a 2HKO instead of an OHKO, I'm upset at the seconds of time wasted. Seconds!!!

Man Pinchu is too good. Also the enemy is like super bad.

Last trainer! Will we see what this tent is all about?

Even when I specifically try and draw this battle out (uh, as much as I can with a CB Trapinch), I still nearly sweep through a team anyway, christ.

In commemoration of your 3-win streak, we present you with this prize.

Eh, that's an alright prize. Anyway, let's go back in and actually show off what this place is about.

Finally, we can reach the end of the third turn in a battle. Sheesh.

Judgment: 4 to 2! The winner is YUKI's PINCHU!

There we go. At the end of the 3rd turn, both Pokemon are graded in 3 categories. Mind is offensive style, one point for an attack that deals damage is chosen, excluding Fake Out, which deducts one point, or the countering moves and Bide, which award no points. One point is deducted if Protect, Detect or Endure are chosen. The highest scoring Pokemon gains two points in the overall judging. Skill is accuracy, one point if an attack lands and two deducted if the move misses, unless it was by Protect, Detect, Endure, or Fake Out, in which case it doesn't. It contributes two points overall. Body is the HP remaining at the end of the round compared to where it was at the start of the judging, not the total HP the Pokemon can have. The better ratio wins two points and ties for any of the three categories win one point. If there's an overall point tie, both Pokemon faint.

With that, uh, fun diversion out of the way, next time we'll be heading to Meteor Falls to see about this Team Magma. I'm sure they're not crazy weirdos.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 6, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Considering Lanette has artwork (if TCG and manga artwork), wouldn't it be better to use that than the Aroma Girl sprite? I mean...she doesn't look like that, at all. It's misleading.

Yeah, if she had actual artwork I'd use that instead (man I can't wait for when all characters actually get artwork to use), but it's between choosing using the small overworld sprite that I'd need to grab, or use the trainer sprite that uses that overworld sprite... you're drat right I'm gonna pick the lazy option!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I just loving realized
Route 113 is snowman from Earthbound.

WHAT THE gently caress

Eh, it sounds kinda similar, but I wouldn't have made that slight connection until you mentioned it, since I don't think they're all that similar.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I think you used span as the past tense of spin when referring to Spinda. It's spun.

Whoops, I thought I did put spun. Fixed!

Also I did try and fit abilities someone on the graphic, but it just looked a bit tacked on. Maybe I could've put them inbetween the sprites and the name notes, but ah well, something to think about for next time, I suppose.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 11: Meteoring Team Magma

Route 114

Right, let's properly go through Route 114.

Since Nimbus has 10 levels to gain and the opponent's trainers Pokemon refuse to go higher than the third rival battle for some confusing reason despite being nearly by the fourth Gym Leader, we'll be seeing her a lot. Level curves before Gen 4 just fuckin suck.

Nimbus will do just fine with Secret Power, if not being a crazy strong move. I also thought we'd just seen Water Sport, hence the second Mud Sport screenshot. Water Sport has 15PP and reduces the base power of Fire moves by 50% while the user is in battle. Only 3 Pokemon learn this move that already don't resist Fire moves and only one of those is actually weak to Fire moves (Masquerain of course). Do NOT mistake this move for Water Spout, an actually amazing move.

I don't want a POKEMON that's just cute. I adore cute ones that have a quirk or two!

Okay! I'll just fish me a bigger one!

So, bring on your POKEMON!

I think I'll try my luck at landing a big one at METEOR FALLS. There has to be something in there. I just know it.

At least the trainers being so weak means Nimbus can just beat them with little problems. Seriously, it's gonna be a couple updates before she catches up with everyone else. Also spoilers, there's no unique Pokemon to fish up in Meteor Falls, a miss opportunity I feel.

Oh, no! I just had a tasty meal. I'm getting drowsy...

Secret passage behind the house.

Ooh, handy. Persim berries cure confusion, which is useful for self confusion moves, or just to ignore that awful status.

Ahahahaha, good one. That's very funny. Haha... you dick.

I'm sorry everything is so cluttered... When I get engrossed in research, things end up this way... This is embarrassing... please keep this a secret in exchange for this.

You should organize your BOXES so you can tell which POKEMON are in them.

I'm not doing a Living Dex, so no thanks. You get a Seedot Doll in Ruby.

It has a lot of user-friendly features that make it fun and useful, too. It makes me proud that I played a part in its development. Here's hoping that you'll continue research in Storage Systems. From BILL.

(TYRA) Well, sure. I'm in the mood for it. I'll teach you a little about POKEMON.

"taught me!"

(TYRA) What an amazing battle style! I was teaching my junior IVY about Pokemon.

Man so many battles still. Good for catching up since I know my team was getting overlevelled, but getting a fourth and then fifth team member usually balances that out quite nicely.

Way too strong! I think it's great that I can go camping with my POKEMON.

A big body that's all lumpy and hard, enormous horns, and vicious fangs... Ufufufufu... I wish I had a Pokemon like that...

I can't wait for Wargreymon to evolve into a Pokemon like that.

Nimbus is gonna need all the help it can get. If I don't use an EV drink, then I'm saving it for later. Let's catch some cool Pokemon in this route!

Good to get the evolutions, kappa.

While Sing is really not the best move to catch Pokemon with, might as well use it while we've got it. As you'd expect, Nuzleaf is a 1% encounter.

What else is there... er, what's that hissing noise?

Sssssssssssso you want to use this sssssssssssnake? That's a good idea, those are some nice high, balanced attacking stats, if making it a bit fragile. However, it'll need some TM help, as, while it learns some STAB (crazy I know), both Poison Tail and Poison Fang kinda do the same thing and have the same strength. At least Sludge Bomb ain't too far and there are some crazy moves you can learn, like Flamethrower, Giga Drain and Earthquake, as well as Crunch at level 28. Still, is it the best choice for those TMs? With those stats? Yeah, actually, you can't go that wrong with this sssssssssserpent.

Well poo poo. Poison Tail has 50BP, 25PP and 100% accuracy that has a higher crit ratio and a 10% chance of poisoning the opponent. Bit annoying, but it'll pale in comparison to Sludge Bomb.

Nest Balls: still super good.

Holy poo poo this thing is good. Good Attack, good Speed and blows its rival out of the water by, one, already knowing SWORDS DANCE and, two, learning Slash very quickly. That'd be pretty good by itself, but it can also Quick Attack to pick off weakened foes, learns Brick Break, Shadow Ball and Aerial Ace and also has a large special movepool it can't use. It hits hard and that's all you need it to do, even if it'll fall over pretty easily.

Immunity prevents the Pokemon from being poisoned. Super nice, prevents Toxic stalling and gives it a nice edge against Seviper.

Considering I never found a Geodude in Granite Cave (10% on the first floor only, I gave up after 20 mins), I'm annoyed I haven't found one through rock smashing either. Like how rare is this drat rock???

Thanks for dousing my fire! You set my spirit on fire. Let's register each other! You really do have to be careful with any sort of fire in a forest. Don't underestimate the power of fire.

The mountains are unforgiving... In the winter, mountains turn deadly with blizzards and avalanches.

Oh, I see. That's good to know. Some POKEMON change so much when they evolve, it's startling!

You're supposed to shout "yodelayhihoo" since it doesn't echo here!

Everyone join in! YODELAYHIHOO!

When I was a wee tyke, I believed there was someone copying me and shouting back, "Yodelayhihoo."

Meteor Falls

Mmm, that's the good stuff. Hope there's nothing to ruin it.

Team Magma Encounter

Heh? I don't know who you are, but if you get in the way of TEAM MAGMA, don't expect any mercy!

Team Aqua Encounter

You're badly mistaken if you think you can have your way with the world!

Heh, it doesn't matter! We've got the METEORITE, so off to MT. CHIMNEY we go! Hehehe! Be seeing you, you TEAM AQUA dingbats!

Ah, so your name is YUKI. At the time, I thought you were one of TEAM MAGMA's goons. Humph... you're one odd kid. TEAM MAGMA is a dangerous group of total fanatics. They engage in destruction, claiming to expand the land mass. They are the rivals to us, the sea-loving TEAM AQUA!

There's no telling what TEAM MAGMA will do at MT.CHIMNEY! YUKI, you should keep an eye out for TEAM MAGMA, too. Farewell!

Meteor Falls

TEAM MAGMA asked me to guide them to METEOR FALLS... But they tricked me. They even took my METEORITE away... and then another similar bunch, TEAM AQUA showed up. After that... I don't understand any of it. But that TEAM MAGMA... what are they going to do with that METEORITE at MT.CHIMNEY?

Ah, very precious as we'll soon see. So yeah, Team Magma, Team Aqua, sounds interesting. Or dumb as hell, either or. Let's catch some Pokemon!

What a curious creature that actually gets STAB right from the get go, wow! Sure, it can't really make use of its Psychic STAB, but it gets Rock Throw and will even learn Rock Slide later on. Now that's something a lot of other Rock types can't claim... fuckin GF. It learns a few Fire and Grass moves with its sun theme, though it obviously can't use them. At least it gets Earthquake and Shadow Ball, but it's not that great, due to a load of weaknesses, though it can take a physical hit or two.

Rolling in items, man.

Unique to Sapphire. If Solrock can only use its Rock STAB, here's Lunatone only able to use its Psychic STAB. It also gets some nice early moves, but instead of Rock Slide, it gets Psychic, which I feel is a much better tradeoff. The only fun move it learns that is moon related is Ice Beam, which, hey, is a drat good move. Aside from that though, it just has a load of physical moves, so it has the same problems as Solrock who has too many special moves. At least it also gets Calm Mind, so it could do something, but it really doesn't get any coverage. Still, not the worst choice.

Route 115

With those two obtained, it's back to Route 115, how crazy.

I've been teaching my POKEMON karate. It looks like they'll get better than me. I'm excited about that.

More scales.

The sand acts as a cushion to reduce impact and prevent injury. This is the perfect place to train.

It felt like we hadn't registered anyone in a while and bam, there's two next to each other. Bluk berries do nothing!

Two levels up there, but I didn't screenshot Nimbus's stats for whatever reason. Hey maybe it'll learn something good?

Incorrect. Well, it could be more defensive, but I don't care about that for single player.

A powerful piggy. Spoink is an alright Psychic type, being pretty strong and bulky on the special side, like a pig is(?), but it has the same problem as Ralts in that it learns very little in coverage, only getting Shock Wave overall. It gets Psybeam for a while, which is nice, but its Attack is way too low to bother with, so don't bother with it and use status moves instead... I guess??? Still, Psychics are still cool and it's super cute, so go for it.

I was meditating with my POKEMON. But this pleace isn't very peaceful...

I have this rare POKEMON. It's enough to keep my satisfied.

Alright, we're done in this area for now. Yes, there's STILL more to Route 115 we'll get to in just a little bit.

Oh hey I finally got around to remembering these items are a thing. Woo.

Off we go back to Mt. Chimney.

Hippity hoppity. There's only like 4 times in the entire game you need to get the Acro Bike and you don't even technically need it for what's coming up, but it makes my life a little easier.

The Magma boys are gone, so up we go.

Cable Car

It's all out war up here.

Mt. Chimney

Perhaps... the truth is somewhere in the middle.

See for yourself what the fanatics of TEAM MAGMA are up to! They're trying to inject the stolen METOERITE's power into the volcano! Doing something like that will cause the volcano's eruption!

Nothing up this side, so the one we need to stop is on the left.

Like, if that thing's power made more land, there'd be more places to live. Everyone'd be happy!

I'm going to build it on hardened lava!

VS Team Magma

Not only do we have to deal with water weirdos, now ground weirdos enter the picture!

A kid like you, you ought to be splashing about in the waves!

Our BOSS says, "It will make everyone happy." But why does everyone keep getting in our way?

But you're too late! I've already delivered the METEORITE from METEOR FALLS to the BOSS!

Now you might be wondering why I'm not using official artwork of the Team Magma Admin Tabitha... well there isn't any for any of the admins, though they do have unique sprites. I'm not gonna use the remake artwork since they're pretty different characters. As in, they have a character. The teams are so much better in the remakes.

Even though I've lost, if our leader awakens that thing... BOSS, hurry! Give it the METEORITE's energy! Hehehe...

Cheers, Freesample, we might need it up ahead. While Tabitha had 4 weak and uninteresting Pokemon, who knows what the boss has.

"activity will instantly intensify...

Its energy will grow deep inside the crater and... fufufu...

"affairs."

It must be you he meant. Humph! So you're thinking of interfering with us, TEAM MAGMA? Now you listen. Long ago, living things used the land to live and grow. That is why land is all important! It is the cradle of all! That is why TEAM MAGMA is dedicated to the expansion of the land mass. It is for further advancement of humankind and POKEMON! And for that, we need the power of what sleeps within this mountain... Oh! There was no need for you to learn that much. But, no matter! I'll teach you the consequences of meddling in our grand design!

VS Leader Maxie

Why IS Dark special anyway? Well Mightyena might be a good boy, it's also not that... good. Sure, its Attack will do it just fine, but you're not getting any STAB and you've got a while until you have a better move than, uh, Tackle. Sure it can learn the good stuff, Return, Iron Tail, Shadow Ball, but notice how I'm listing these attacks for a good number of Pokemon that have no other options. You can only pick one after all, but Strength is a fine move until then. Its other stats are just mediocre so it's not gonna be wowing you anytime soon.

I, uh, don't think Nimbus is gonna do well here, so let's just switch. Also godDAMN this music.

Alright, off to a great start.

Yeah screw this. A Dark type can match up quite well to a Steel type if it dodges every fuckin hit.

Now see this is something Nimbus can fight no problem.

Now with two humps you're still really slow and weak to Water and Ground, but you've got great attacking stats. Getting Rock Slide upon evolving really helps and Earthquake isn't that far away. You've still got a while of using Ember before getting Eruption, but drat is it good, though Overheat might do you until then. Being able to make use of both your STABs and hitting hard with both Rock Slide and Return is pretty nice, but you'll get outsped all the time and the later parts of the game are gonna be a major problem, so beware.

Man this thing hurts.

Stop healing!!!

Wow that one turn confusion sure was helpful. Bleh.

Please stop being faster than everything and just die, thanks.

Mt. Chimney

But, enough. I will back off this time. But don't think that this is the last you've seen of TEAM MAGMA. Fufufu... Even without the METEORITE, if we obtain that ORB... Fufufu...

But... you... whose side are you on? Ah, it doesn't matter. We will remain vigilant and keep up our pursuit of TEAM MAGMA. YUKI, we shall meet again!

Alright, all the crazies have gone, so let's make sure the world doesn't end just yet.

Try one. It's just ¥200. Thank you, dear!

Lava Cookies are like Full Heals except much better cause they're like a third of the price. We will be stocking up on these, oh yes.

Jagged Pass

Now this is what I've always wanted in a mountain. This jagged bumpiness... it rocks my soul!

Yes, I did lose at POKEMON... but, when it comes to the love of the mountains, I have you beat.

Neat. Jagged Pass is one way street unless you have the Acro Bike, but there's not much use for it otherwise. There is one new Pokemon to find though.

Bounced its way into my heart... but not on the team, we've got a little while before member five.

What I am doing in a place like this? What business is it of yours?

Okay, oh-kay! I admit it--you're strong! Don't worry about me. Go wherever you want!

How completely not suspicious.

Will you ever be back in this area? If you do return, I'd like a rematch. Did you know? Some people cleverly ride their bicycles up this horribly bumpy pass.

You might think we'll have to make a few passes down this place since there's a lot of ledges. But nope! If you actually know where everything is, you can do it in one pass AND not need the Acro Bike. Crazy.

Hmm... what went wrong? What is that odd rock protrusion a little up the hill from here?

I feel like I'm falling apart... My bicycle bounced around so much, my rear end's sore...

See, if you know where this Great Ball is (like I, uh, totally did), then you don't even need the Acro Bike. Still crazy.

Can you register me in your POKENAV? If I had an ACRO BIKE, I'd be able to jump ledges.

That was the Jagged Pass and now this is Route 112.

That was Route 112 and now this is Lavaridge Town. Next update is gonna be quite hot, in more ways than one.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Beautiful.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I am glad of these maxie/archie jokes and hope they continue well into the LP where the story gets dumber and dumber

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 12: Hot Battles with Desert

Can you feel the heat? Shall we explore Lavaridge Town?

Actually, let's head back up to Mt. Chimney instead.

Mt. Chimney

"I'm sure I'm going to win!"

When you reach Lavaridge, trainers appear on the volcano and we definitely want to fight them. Might as well get all the exp we can. These extra trainers don't appear in ORAS because it requires effort, making me very confused the first time I played that game.

I'll have to take another dip in the hot springs. Want to join me? Just joking!

"I only do a little sightseeing..."

I want to get in some battles and buy COOKIES as souvenirs.

"Right now I'm feeling strong!"

Even old people can't escape their pets getting beat up.

Thank you, child. It was fun, as if I were battling my own grandchild. Please, come see me again for a rematch. Well, well, I've lost. I can't call myself an EXPERT now, can I?

Ooh, that was a scorching-hot match! The heat of MT. CHIMNEY warms me up, baby!

Oh, you're a real firebrand, too! I like little fireballs like you. Let me register you in my POKENAV. I think I need a dip in LAVARIDGE HOT SPRING with the locals!

Right, where were we?

Lavaridge Town

Lavaridge Town: POKEMON CENTER HOT SPRINGS An excellent place for relaxing!
Fuen Town: Pokésen, onsen, an excellent place.

From lava and ridge, a usual land formation created by volcanoes, and fu (cauldron) and en (hot or flame).

Holy poo poo I can buy Revives, it's a miracle.

But that doesn't seem to be enough... I've heard it would be best if it were kept together with POKEMON and carried about. You are a TRAINER, yes? And your POKEMON radiate vitality. So what say you? Will you take this EGG to hatch? Good! I hope you'll walk plenty with this here EGG!

Or at least that's how the rumor goes.

How cold. How hot. Surely this is the town of contrasts. It won't take too long to hatch the Egg, though I'll be keeping Slugma in the box for now since I, uh, kinda forgot. Oh well.

Herbal medicine is pretty nifty. Well, Revival Herbs are amazing endgame items that we'll get at that point, but right now they're way too expensive.

That's rather commendable. I like you! Take this!

It also does wonders when held by a POKEMON. It intensifies the power of FIRE-type moves.

Usually I'd sell the Charcoal for mad cash, but there's only the one and money's not that tight in this game, so I don't need to this time.

"folks of this town."

What do you say, young one? Would you agree to it if I were to offer to teach the move MIMIC? Fwofwo! And so I shall! Let me see the POKEMON you wish me to teach.

Could you execute it to perfection as well as me...?

There are good tutor moves in this game, I promise. There's just a lot of crap before that first. That's it for the town, so it's Gym time!

Pokemon Gym

Her passion for POKEMON burns stronger and hotter than a volcano. Don't get too close to her--you'll burn! Hose her down with water and then go for it!

Like most Gyms, the layout has slightly changed so there's a lot more holes to fall through.

Where holes don't match up is where trainers lurk!

...don't even think about trying it!

That's a dead end, so let's head this way.

Two is the sand is worth a Taillow in the bush. Am I getting that right?

I stay here because I became a fan of FLANNERY's power. Hehehehe.

The way the battling spirit burns within you, you may stand a chance against our LEADER.

What's this way?

A dead end.

Neat.

I have been bamboozled.

As a standard Normal type, Kecleon ain't that bad, it's got good Attack, weirdly good Sp.Def, but really cannot take physical hits. And it will, because it's super slow. It will eventually get Slash, but its moves before then are pretty rubbish, especially when it gets Faint Attack and Psybeam, which is better than those who would get STAB from that. It also has a vast TM movepool, which is always nice, and can learn Ancientpower through level up, which is also weird. Just give it the best physical attacks and go from there, it'll be alright.

Now Color Change makes Kecleon even more interesting, changing its type to whatever attack it last took. Compared to Protean, it's garbage since it's not dependable in the slightest, but can give you some STAB, or resistances if you're lucky. This does make it tricky to use your Normal moves, but could give your weak special moves some kick to them if you happen to become that type. Again, don't rely on it, it's just frustrating more than anything.

The temperature of magma is 392 degrees. Your POKEMON beat me, so they should easily survive in magma.

Being buried in hot sand promotes circulation. It's effective for healing pain in your joints.

It's always weird just fighting one trainer after a couple of double battles. Like I'm just missing something...

If you spend too much time buried in hot sand, it tuckers you out...

"wouldn't you?"

But you should know that maintaining your willpower is an important ability for all TRAINERS.

Your skill is real... but our LEADER FLANNERY is strong. If you don't watch yourself, you'll be burned seriously.

Man there's a lot of trainers around.

Like seriously every room there's something. However, we're actually done.

Now there's 3 holes to choose from, but only one actually leads to the leader. So which one?

It's this one, let's go!

I have been entrusted with the... no, wait. I am FLANNERY, and I'm the GYM LEADER here! Uh... dare not underestimate me, though I have been LEADER only a short time! With skills inherited from my grandfather, I shall, uh... demonstrate the hot moves we have honed on this land!

VS Gym Leader :siren: VS Leader Flannery :siren:

Flannery/Asuna: One with a fiery passion that burns!
From, uh, flame. Thanks, Bulbapedia. As well as asunaro (Thujopsis, a conifer), suna (sand) and sunayu (sand bath).

With Secret Power, Nimbus has this no problem. Though a sun boosted Overheat would probably annihilate me. Thankfully it's not going for it!

Bit annoying, but Flannery is a bit dangerous, so I'm glad she's using this early.

Let's keep it going Wargreymon.

Wait isn't the sun still up?

poo poo. Wouldn't have this problem in RS where the second Slugma had Flamethrower. Overheat has 140BP, 5PP and 90% accuracy and lowers the user's Special Attack by two stages. It also made contact in this gen for... some reason. It's a pretty drat good nuke, but the stat drop is pretty nasty if you don't switch out.

My physical attacks laugh at your screen. But please don't roast me, even at -2 it would really hurt.

Like the last Gym, Nobunaga could tear through this easily because the Water starters are just too good, so it'll just deal with Camerupt, who's pretty nasty, and just be on its way.

Alright, now for the ace Pokemon.

We're gonna need some setup here.

Because of that. Without the Sp.Def boost, or the lack of sun, we would've been annihilated. But at least it's a lot weaker now, right?

The White Herb will revert one stat drop in battle, so it gets a second big nuke to work with. If you have to sacrifice a few Pokemon to lower this thing's stats, you should, since you just got Revives and eventually Overheat will do super weak damage.

This helps a lot, but barring a crit we'll be able to survive all the Overheats in the world right now.

Ah. poo poo. This could be a pretty big problem. And no flute to cure it.

Alright, this might be risky, but if we break through one more time, we win.

Ranmaru is super good.

I tried too hard to be someone I'm not. I have to do things my natural way. If I don't, my POKEMON will be confused. Thanks for teaching me that. For that, you deserve this.

"trades from other people, will obey you completely."

And, it lets POKEMON use the HM move STRENGTH outside of battle. This is a token of my appreciation. Don't be shy about taking it!

That move inflicts serious damage on the opponent. But it also sharply cuts the SP.ATK of the POKEMON using it. It might not be suitable for longer battles. Your power reminds me of someone... Oh! I know! You battle like NORMAN, the GYM LEADER of PETALBURG.

Man, are we halfway through the Gyms already? Seems a little nuts.

May Encounter

Oh? While I visited the hot springs, you got the LAVARIDGE GYM BADGE. You must have collected good POKEMON... no, I believe you raised some. I guess it would be okay for you to have this.

"desert near ROUTE 111."

But, wow, YUKI... challenging GYMS... You're trying hard because you don't want to lose to me, I bet! YUKI, I think I should challenge your dad in PETALBURG GYM. See you again!

I guess we're heading to Petalburg next, but there's a few things we can do before then. Don't wanna do two Gyms in one update!

Fiery Path

Now that we can learn Strength there's, well, only one new area we can explore. But hey, it's something.

Neat. Could be a good move for later to get past some really bulky stuff, but we'll leave it for now.

Some real tough puzzles there. What's our reward?

Ooh very nice. Only one Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex requires a Fire Stone, so it'll be very helpful.

Why yes, that is a 2% encounter. How lucky for me. I wonder if I'll find anything rarer in this LP?

We'll also stop off at Mauville to swap bikes before we head to the desert. Won't be needing the Acro Bike for a little while.

Route 111 Desert

Mmm yeah that's the good stuff. However, there's something missing here, so let's go back to Route 112 for the moment.

There we go. When you enter Route 111, there's a random chance the Mirage Tower will spawn. I think it's 50/50, but I dunno really. I wish the other Mirage area in this game was like that...

Mirage Tower

Here's what we need the Mach Bike for, to get over these cracks. However, before we do that...

Might as well get the Pokemon in here since they're more common than in the desert.

Okay, now I can put the repels on.

Oh yeah, you'll also need Rock Smash. This is why I just put HMs on my team, it's just less hassle.

At the top we have a choice of two fossils, but can only pick the one. Hmm, which one?

Sure, why not.

Rip. Now let's explore the desert.

Route 111 Desert

You can always find a TRAINER, so I can enjoy a battle here, too!

As you'd expect, every battle takes place under endless Sandstorm, as well as a fair few trainers using the Sand Veil having Sandshrew line. It's not annoying in the slightest, honest!

When you're battling in the sandstorm, watch out for your POKEMON's HP. It can faint if you don't keep an eye on it!

"Right now, nobody can beat me!"

Oh hey Nimbus has nearly caught up with the team. Knew it would happen eventually.

I'm going to be a real hero one day. I'm going to work harder and make me and my POKEMON stronger.

Shall we catch some of the Pokemon around here?

No? Okay, let's fight another trainer first.

The GO-GOGGLES make it possible to get through sandstorms. That makes me happy!

There we go. That area is where you would find the fossils in RS and where you find them in the remakes. Guess Mirage Tower was just too complicated to program into the 3DS.

I came up short... If they can find fossils in the desert, it must have been a sea before.

The power of rocks.

"I am to be challenged?"

As if Sand Veil Sandshrew wasn't bad enough...

But, for some reason, I sure do like POKENAVS. For thirty years I have searched for ancient ruins! No, wait, was that forty years? Which was it now?

Oh! Your strength! It is shrouded in mystery! This desert hoards mysteries in its shifting sands!

Tch! I thought a sandwich would be enough of a bribe... My SANDSHREW loves eating my sandwiches.

I also have no idea why there are so many people coming here for a picnic. Is that what you do in deserts?

In a sandstorm like this, I can't set the places for a picnic even with my GO-GOGGLES on...

Guess GF forgot to make a cave at the end here, drat that time crunch. Well anyway, we're all done with the desert for now, but there is one thing missing...

Oh hey there, that's some high attack stats at the cost of literally anything else. Well at least it'll have the movepool to... oh, Absorb and Pin Missile until level 29. Well poo poo. Okay, it'll get Faint Attack, which is great for its upcoming evolution, but like all Grass types, it gets poo poo for moves until you give it Giga Drain or it eventually learns Needle Arm super late. It has a pretty drat shallow movepool that doesn't learn all that many TMs, but at least you'll have Focus Punch and Return, I guess. However, special coverage is dire, aside from STAB. Even then, nothing's higher than 60BP. Good typing, but bad moves to go with it.

I don't think I've gone over Sand Veil, I don't keep track of this stuff. Okay, so, during a sandstorm, it reduces the enemy's accuracy of attacks by 4/5 and the user takes no damage from Sandstorm, which admittedly only covers the Cacnea line right now. It also reduces the encounter rate in sandstorm areas by 50% when first.

Fallabor Town

There's a few things to do before going back to Petalburg and we'll be going the long way to Rustboro for one reason.

That METEORITE from METEOR FALLS... it's never going to be mine now... Oh! Hah? That item... could it be? Is it the METEORITE that TEAM MAGMA took from METEOR FALLS? Please, may I have it? I'm not asking for it for free. How about in exchange for this TM?

"Please use it!"

Oh, I can't believe it. This is really, really great! This is really going to help my research!

Good poo poo. The Return TM is a great Normal move for the myriad of physical Pokemon that get poo poo for coverage because GF is bad at video games. I could give it to Nimbus, but her happiness ain't that high, so Secret Power does more damage still. Also she won't need it.

Rustboro City

I can with my newly developed FOSSIL REGENERATOR. Excellent! Let's do this right away.

But it has one drawback--it takes a long time to work. So, uh... how about you go for a stroll and look around for a while?

You're gonna make me walk outside then back in? Bah, I say, bah!

The fossil was an ancient POKEMON. LILEEP, it was!

So you might see a theme of Grass types being fine, but having weak move options, or Rock types having very little to work with due to insidious designers, so what happens when you combine them? Well guess what, it's poo poo... to level up. Lileep doesn't even get STAB until level 48 and even then it's Ancientpower, so it will absolutely need the Grass TMs, otherwise it cannot use its mediocre Sp.Atk at all. It can learn Sludge Bomb and Earthquake, sure, but c'mon, don't you wanna use its higher stat? Well it doesn't matter when it evolves, thankfully, with equal attacking stats, and it has a great typing to cover its weaknesses, as well as good defenses. It won't do a lot of damage, but it will be a real pain to take down.

Suction Cups prevents the user from being forced out, making Cradily very good at sticking around without having to set up. This doesn't effect it being switched out, or from fleeing with its own attacks. It also makes fishing bites occur more often, which is useful even if I forget to make use of it.

Rock and Bug, another terrible combination for level up movepools. It doesn't even learn Silver Wind, the, heh, BEST Bug move, only getting Fury Cutter. At least it'll learn Ancientpower before it evolves, but you'll have to deal with Water Gun and Metal Claw until then. It has great Attack, so Rock Tomb, Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Return, they're all good options, as well as Earthquake and Iron Tail later on, but boy getting past that otherwise is a tough one. Again, a fine type combination covering its weaknesses and its high Defense means it'll stick around, but these two fossils are really TMs or bust. And no Rock Slide until the end game, or breeding. Hilarious.

Battle Armor protects the user from critical hits. Yeah, it's alright.

Route 104

Nearly back. That girl looks new.

It made me so happy, I went overboard shopping. I don't need this WHITE HERB anymore. Would you take it, please?

It made me so happy, I went overboard shopping. Where should I put them?

After beating Flannery, we can buy some plants for our Secret Base. Later. We do not have the money for this right now.

We're here. So next time, it's time to face DAD NORMAN.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's all go to the next page!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cause we just keep getting so close and yet so far.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And let's get some snacks!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 13: Washing Over Daddy

Pokemon Gym

Whoops! The doors in this room are already open, so don't attack me! The TRAINERS of PETALBURG GYM use all kinds of items. The door at the left leads to the SPEED ROOM. The door at the right leads to the ACCURACY ROOM. The room's name will be on the door, so choose carefully. Once you've chosen the door... well, hey, go for it!

Sounds like one hell of a Gym puzzle. Welcome back to Emerald, it's daddy beating time! Now, Jim Gui's dialogue is from RS where the various trainers did use items to boost their Pokemon. However, that's changed now in Emerald, though they still use items.

Now Pokemon just use moves, so expect a lot of setup sweepers in this Gym. It's a much more natural change that I like a lot and gives a Normal Gym a pretty interesting spin. Shame it never happened again because Game Freak.

Unfortunately, all the items have been replaced by 1 Hyper Potion that every Trainer has. Bit annoying.

At the left is the CONFUSION ROOM. The right door leads to the DEFENSE ROOM.

There are 9 rooms in this Gym laid out in a diamond shape. We'll be going through the left side first.

This is a nasty strategy, Teeter Dance has 20PP and 100% accuracy and confuses all adjacent Pokemon, making it the Confuse Ray for double battles. Pretty nasty when combined with Focus Punch, but at least it's only a Spinda. Still, it's a pretty cool strat!

That doesn't sound friendly.

Holy poo poo that is super unfriendly!

I'll admit though that Wargreymon laughs at anything this Gym will try to do, so I won't use him until the end. I'm having fun with this Gym, so I won't go for the easy option.

Go on through! The GYM LEADER, your father, is waiting!

We've still got 4 more rooms left, so let's back up and go to the right side.

...did... did I get Skitty's stats instead? Doesn't look like it, Delcatty simply gets +20 to Skitty's already low stats. Which is like super bad. This Pokemon is super bad. It can use every TM under the sun like a good Normal type, but it's just so outclassed by literally everything that it's so hard to recommend. It's also a stone evolution, so it has to get moves from either being a Skitty (which you want to evolve asap because of how bad it is), or from TMs, which would work so much better on any other Pokemon. Cats are my favourite animals man, so it's sucks to see GF do me dirty like this. I'm sad now.

Yes, everyone has a Hyper Potion. Delcatty can learn a lot of moves, so it has all the guaranteed hit ones, which is a bit annoying, but nothing amazing.

The left is the DEFENSE ROOM, and the right is the RECOVERY ROOM. Your POKEMON's ATTACK power will be on trial either way.

Can you imagine how awful that must feel? I'll show you exactly how that feels!

Ow. Buddy, I know exactly how it feels.

Normally this would enrage me to no end, but, well, this is the Recovery Room and the sheer amount of ways it has to heal health is kinda hilarious.

I lost because my own efforts weren't enough. Go on! The ONE-HIT KO ROOM is next.

Alright, what kinda crazy monstrosity will I have to break through?

Ehhhhh, that's not too bad actually. It's fair enough, since no Normal type can learn Iron Defense, Acid Armor, or Barrier in Gen 3, so it's a nice breather compared to the others.

Stop that.

Now, go on! The left door goes to the STRENGTH ROOM. The right door opens to the ONE-HIT KO ROOM. Both of them have TRAINERS who are skilled at offense.

What awaits us in the final room?

I know, suffering through Slakoth was a bit rough, but the reward is absolutely worth it. Vigoroth is really fast and really strong and has a spammable move in Uproar. It will take a bit of time before you get Slash, but you shouldn't have many problems getting to that point, you'll get Strength quickly enough. It'll get the other cool physical moves like Brick Break and Shadow Ball and Earthquake and eventually Return, but for now, it's just a hard hitting Normal type. And what else do you need really? At least you're free from Truant... FOR NOW! Mwahahahaha!

Vital Spirit prevents the user from being afflicted by sleep, Yawn, or Rest. When first, it increases the chance of encountering higher-leveled Pokemon by 50%.

Well poo poo.

Look, sometimes the Wargreymon button needs to be pressed. It's an emergency.

And, I sense the same glow coming from you as your father. I hope that you'll stage a terrific battle with your father!

Here we, here we, here we loving go!

YUKI... I'm so happy that I can have a real battle with my own child. But, a battle is a battle! I will do everything in my power as a GYM LEADER to win. YUKI, you'd better give it your best shot, too!

VS Gym Leader :siren: VS DAD NORMAN :siren:

Norman/Senri: A man in pursuit of power!
Norman is very normal, wouldn't you say? Also from senryō, an Asian herb, and senri, 1000 li (Chinese mile, 1 is 500m).

That is not what I wanted to immediately happen. Facade has 70BP, 20PP and 100% accuracy that gets its power doubled to 140 when the Pokemon is posioned, paralyzed or burned. So don't do what I just did. However, the attack drop from Burn still applies, so it'll even out to 70 again.

Let's get rid of this drat thing. Fun fact: a trainer's Spinda will always have the same pattern, due to having set PIDs.

I might be in trouble here. Save me Wargreymon!

Holy poo poo look at those amazing stats. Absolutely astounding. Oh wait you've got Truant back, lol. HOWEVER, it's a testament to how good Slaking is that Truant really isn't that big a deal. Sure, it's a complete detriment in multiplayer, but very easy to work around in single player. One of those ways is Hyper Beam, an incredibly strong attack that has its charging turn while you're not doing anything anyway. You can also switch if you just obliterate the opponent and if not, you can survive a few physical hits with your massive HP and soften it up with your other attacks. Your Sp.Atk ain't too bad either, so you'll be just fine with whatever you face against. Sure, missing a turn is almost like your Attack is halved, but it just shows how good Slaking is when that's not really a big deal.

Ow. Kinda. While Wargreymon can wall Norman all day long, he actually can't do a huge amount, so I'm gonna soften Slaking up so our other team members (well, Nobunaga) have an easier time. Just need to proc the Rock Smash drops.

As you can tell, it took a while to get just one. Ugh.

A quick way to pain town is to status this thing, though you might get lucky with timely paralysis. Honestly, if I didn't have the absolute defense monster, Norman would easily rip through my team. He also has Faint Attack for Ghost types, but nothing really for Rock or Steel types.

Twas expected. Now with lowered stats, Nobunaga can easily take down Slaking, even when it gets healed to full.

...wait why didn't you heal?

Oh well, let's actually give Wargreymon a proper battle where he's not just softening something up.

There's the healing item! Well whatever, Wargreymon still has this.

It did take a while though, but it's not like Vigoroth could do much. Now, on to a real powerful player.

Oh, uh, okay, guess not then. I was expecting Linoone to use Belly Drum, so even if Nobunaga couldn't outspeed it, Ranmaru would be able to and finish it off.

It can't even kill me properly to let Ranmaru take the prize. Fine, whatever, I'll just use Nobunaga again. Sheesh.

I can't believe it. YUKI... I lost to YUKI? But, rules are rules! Here, take this.

Pokemon Gym

POKEMON that know the HM move SURF will be able to travel over water. This is my gift to you. YUKI, I'm sure you can use it correctly.

It doubles the power of moves if the POKEMON is poisoned, paralyzed, or burned. It might be able to turn a bad situation into an advantage. As the GYM LEADER, I can't express how upset I am... But as a father, it makes me both happy and a little sad. It's odd...

Please come with me. I have something I want you to have. NORMAN, you don't mind, do you? Let me borrow your YUKI for a minute or two.

We owe it all to you! When WALLY left town, you helped him catch a POKEMON, right? I think that made WALLY really happy. Actually, not just WALLY. It made me, his father, happy too. Happy that he's gained such a great friend as you. This isn't a bribe or anything, but I'd really like you to have this.

Oh baby, it has been too long. With Surf, we can do A LOT. Like, nearly two updates worth of stuff. Well, some of it we could do earlier, but it's so much more convenient to do it now.

This also gives Nobunaga a much needed power boost, as he was getting a bit stale recently. That's gonna change real soon. Also I didn't feel like going through the doors to talk to DAD again.

YUKI, you should go visit your mother every so often. I'm going to stay here and redouble my training. It would bother me as a TRAINER to not avenge my loss to you, YUKI!

Already there's some good stuff we can get. Now you might think to head straight to Route 104 and Surf south and we'll do that... later. There's some other things we need to do first.

Don't push yourself too hard, dear. You can always come home. Go for it, honey!

Compared to Gen 2, this Amulet Coin is super early. I love it!

Now we head to Mauville City.

Getting there. Our team is a little bit out of sync cause of the Gym.

Also Nimbus is eternally catching up.

Oh, I understand where you're coming from now. If I had a POKEMON that trusty, I'd want to SURF on it, too!

I'm a poor swimmer so I was practicing... sorry for almost crashing into you.

Trick House

Did someone say TRICK HOUSE?

Thankfully it's not a smashing challenge, instead it's a door puzzle! No come back it's fun, honest...

It's full of doors here! It's too small and dark in here! Help!

Iron Tail will be a real strong move for Wargreymon, but alas, it's very inaccurate.

I don't get it. How did I lose? I don't get it. How many traps are in this house? You may be the one to solve that.

We only need to press one switch to get to the scroll, so that's nice.

You... you're awful! I know I'm weak! And, I have no sense of direction!

Ugh, mail.

Now for the door. How are we gonna solve this puzzle?

Again, it's pretty drat simple.

Neat. But we got two badges, so back in we go!

Guy's getting sneaky now, but the lack of a reflection is in itself, a reflection. Actually that doesn't make any sense.

Strength puzzles! Joy!

Even though I lost, I still like battling the best! Wouldn't you agree? You would go anywhere if TRAINERS were there.

Ugh, mail.

Use my head? To, like, push the boulders? Cause I'm not smart enough for these puzzles.

Really frying the noggin here. Let's get outta here.

Hey your mushroom turned into a punching kangaroo dinosaur...? Well okay then. See, you can't really use half of your STAB, but you can absolutely use your monstrous Attack, especially when you get Sky Uppercut. There's also Sludge Bomb, Iron Tail and, uh, Headbutt? The lack of Earthquake kinda sucks, but anything you hit physically will take a lot of damage. Your other stats aren't that amazing and being weak to a lot of things is not fun. But when you hit really hard, does it matter? Actually, missing out on Spore unless you wait until 54 to evolve is pretty drat painful. But oh well, it's not like it's an amazing move or anything.

I'm getting there!!!

Alright, now let's continue on.

If you want to use a strong Water type, now's the time, since you can just Surf on a Zigzagoon until you get something better.

Boy, I wonder what Wattson's up to?

Fine! I've decided! I need a favor, YUKI! MAUVILLE CITY has an underground sector called NEW MAUVILLE. YUKI, I'd like you to go there and switch off the GENERATOR. The GENERATOR has been running a bit haywire. It's getting unsafe. Here, this is the KEY to get into NEW MAUVILLE.

The entrance to NEW MAUVILLE is just a short SURF away from Route 110. That's it, then, you have my trust! Wahahahaha!

Route 118

We'll go do that in just a sec, but there's something important here.

Hmm! We're of identical minds! Hmm! Take this GOOD ROD!

Ah good. There's some cool Pokemon we can fish up with this, so might as well get it now. Also what we get from the New Mauville quest will be very helpful for what's coming up.

Since we're on this beach, might as well beat up some trainers.

I couldn't win by training POKEMON while I fished... was I doing things in half measures?

Oh hey, it's these two! Also I stopped recording for a day and so the Sitrus trees died. I really need to stop doing that.

Now timid boy got a lot more forward in its loudness. You'll still have to rely on Uproar until you get Stomp... if Strength didn't exist. Also, with each evolution, Hyper Voice gets further and further away, but it's not a huge deal. You can still go purely physical, or mixed, pick and choose from all these TMs. Seriously, just do whatever, but it does come with the caveat of being a slow, frail, mixed attacker. That's never fun, but you'll have enough oomph in your attacks to hopefully not care about it. Hopefully.

(GABBY) Remember? That's the quote you gave us as the battle clincher last time. I never, ever forget stuff like that! Anyway, what do you think? Do you want to be interviewed again?

Gabby and Ty are like the first trainers that just travel around to be battled again. And they remember what you said last time. It's fun, if nothing particularly interesting. We'll see them again.

We better get something good from this rod!

Eh... well, if you want a quick Gyarados, then here you go. We can just fish them up later.

Lots of different fish can now be found and we must get them all.

There's also just a load of cool items to get, such as by the Winstrate's House, if you couldn't tell.

Also more to fish up. Thankfully there's nothing for us north of Lavaridge, so we won't need to bother going back up there for now.

Alright, New Mauville time!

New Mauville

Looks a bit run down. Let's press that button, I mean, Who Wouldn't?

And another one, let's push that!

So pushing the coloured switch opens that colour door. There's also items on the buttons, I wonder why?

There's four new Pokemon we can find here and HOLY MOLEY this is a 1% encounter. I was pretty drat surprised to see this.

I think that's the luckiest I'll get in this LP. Yep. Nothing crazy will happen soon, no sir. Haha.

Bzzt

I have been bamboozled.

Time to move on. You don't need to find a single Voltorb to move on in this place.

But dammit I just can't help it!

Let's finish up here.

...we're doing this now? Well, okay.

So while I wondered why Azurill exists, Wynaut is a pretty interesting Baby, not only usable by itself, but also expands on Wobbuffet's extremely shallow movepool. The addition of Shadow Tag also brings the whole thing together and makes both these Pokemon very potent. While Splash is useless and Charm is kinda useful, Encore is something that makes this evolution line really work, easing prediction and letting enemies get countered much more consistently. This is great... for multiplayer. Do not use this in single player, it's fun for a bit, but then it gets pretty boring. Still, this is what Baby Pokemon are used for, to get some sweet stuff for their much more usable evolutions.

Shadow Tag is such an amazing ability that plays into the Wobbuffet line's strengths, preventing opponents from switching, unless through a move, or Run Away or a Smoke Ball. However, a Pokemon with Shadow Tag can be trapped by Shadow Tag, creating a hilarious endless battle with two Wobbuffet with Leftovers.

Very nice. Only one Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex requires this, which makes my life much easier and less hacky. Only very slightly, still plenty of hack.

So what was this powering if it's fine to just switch off no problem?

This is my thanks--a TM containing THUNDERBOLT! Go on, you've earned it!

It pleases me to no end to see the young step up and take charge!

Ranmaru really needed this upgrade. Curse ORAS for making that quest postgame... Anyway, next time, it's surfing time, all around west Hoenn.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think Facade is more dangerous than Retaliate since the latter is only a one trick pony that can be wasted on a HM slave... if the AI even goes for it. At least you can control when you status something. The second I clicked Secret Power I went, poo poo, is it gonna proc? And then it did and I nearly got wrecked.

It is hilarious seeing a Slaking use Retaliate, though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wait, did you wind up doing the OHKO room?

Yup, it's the one before the leader. Strength was the Swords Dance Zangoose, OHKO was the Focus Energy Vigoroth.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 14: Glittering Waves

Route 115

Welcome back. Fishing still sucks, but there's more to catch with it.

Like smiley whale.

Did you know there's a secret area on Route 115?

Lots of trainers, of course. I think we can get a double battle if we line this up right...

poo poo. I headed down too late, but oh well.

Ranmaru's got a much needed power boost. But you know what he needs?

Another power boost! Crazy how Ranmaru has become fully evolved while Wargreymon has yet to evolve once.

Your psychic nuke dancer has fully evolved and yeah, that is one hell of a Sp.Atk. Shame it only has two moves to really use it on. Seriously, Ranmaru has his moveset finished until literally the end of the game, since I didn't bother with Kirlia's Magical Leaf. If you don't give it Thunderbolt, it'll be completely useless against Dark types, so thankfully the Sandile line doesn't exist yet. Also thankfully it learned Psychic earlier, instead of being at level 60 like Dream Eater is. That would've been super rough. So yeah, Gardevoir only does like two things, taking and dishing special damage, but it does those two things REALLY WELL.

If you insist mate.

So long as they seek power, I will grow strong with them!

That wasn't a Machop mate.

Ew, herbal medicine. I'll only bother with Revival Herbs, since the other medicines are just worse versions of the regular items. Sure, they're cheaper, but no need to lower happiness unless I have to.

"Let me keep you company!"

Let's have a nice single battle with this old man.

NANI?

Isn't it weird this Pokemon's cry is literally "Hariyama" when that's not its Japanese name? Well anyway, Vital Throw is gonna hit really hard with that Attack cause the move it learns on evolution is, uh, Smellingsalt. Yeah, I forget that's a move too. Brick Break is still a while off, so pick the best physical moves and go from there. Don't get cocky with that high HP though, its defenses really drag them down, it just means it takes longer for the HP bar to go down. Also give it Rock Tomb so it can hit levitating Ghosts. the Baltoy line fucks you up though.

lolling at my physical wall getting OHKOed by a Fighting move.

Hmm... a loss this thorough has been a distant memory. If you would allow it, I wish for another opportunity to do battle. There is no such thing as a born genius. It all depends on effort! That is what I believe...

But my POKEMON were ultra, weren't they?

Is the way to the grass blocked off?

Nah, there's a gap on the left there, see?

Calm down you two.

Oh, well. I think I will TELEPORT home.

I rarely meet anyone who's better than me... I get it now! You're a GYM LEADER, aren't you?

Ooh, good poo poo. Kelpsy Berries do nothing... in RS! In Emerald a few berries got changed and can lower a Pokemon's EVs of a certain stat by 10 while increasing a Pokemon's friendship. In the Kelpsy's case, it lowers the Attack EV.

Mach Bike is love, Mach Bike is life. Now please stop dying easily, Wargreymon.

This is the first time we've encountered grass on this route. For a good reason, there's some unique Pokemon here!

In RS you got no indication at all that the Jigglypuff line was in the Hoenn Dex, since, unlike in Emerald, no trainers used Wigglytuff.

There is also a birb.

Well now that we have both recipients of the Moon Stone, what are we gonna use it on?

The Hoenn denizen of course. And there we go. Since Lunatone is Sapphire only, we cannot get anymore Moon Stones for the rest of the game. Today's Side Notes are all about held items and it's a fun one, like always.

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, there's some Pokemon we should evolve, specifically ones we won't be encountering either for a long time or, well, ever. Linky thing here, including the writeups of the new stuff!

I did forget what level Spoink evolved at, so we'll wait on it for now and do Abra instead. I didn't notice it was holding this, I don't check every Pokemon I catch. Very useful, since we can't get this item otherwise, but more details in the Side Notes (what a coincidence!)

We will, however, go over Shedinja in a Mini Notes, since it's a special case.

Oh yeah, I hacked in another Moon Stone, so we don't need to think about that item for the rest of the LP! Yay! But what about Igglybuff? Well, Ditto isn't in the Hoenn Dex, so it looks like we'll need to do breeding the old-fashioned way, as much as I don't want to. However, if you remember the big breeding write up I did last LP *cough cough*, then I either need to get another Pokemon of the same species with a different gender (nah), or a Pokemon of the opposite gender but same Egg group. The second one is more likely, but, uh, requires the Pokemon I want to breed to be female.

So now that Wigglytuff is female, let's get breeding. We'll check in next update.

Alright, let's finally head to Route 105, we've done everything that we can for now.

Though hey, since the encounter rate of this area is pretty high, we can get a Pelipper at a 5% rate on the water, so why not go for it. Saves me evolving it later.

Nope, that's a Wingull.

That is also a Wingull. C'mon, how rare is a 5% encounter? Shouldn't be that hard to find one.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

So yeah, that was a shiny. See, I use the emulator speedup when I don't see the silhouette I want, so it wasn't until it sparkled that I saw I had a fuckin shiny Wingull. Now I hope you don't think this is all an act, sure I can hack in shinies whenever I drat please, but because I can do that and manipulate the game to my will, I don't feel like I need to feign surprise when I come across an honest to god actual random shiny. And of course it had to be the poster child of Hoenn.

So yeah, we'll get a Pelipper this way. He's gonna be a Contest star, but we'll figure out the details when we get to that point.

Some people hate this line for being everywhere, but they shouldn't, cause it's pretty great. It can spam Surf all day, which is very appreciated in this game, as well as getting a good Flying move in Wing Attack. As in good for Flying, obviously it's a crap move, but whatever. Add in Ice Beam and... wait this line can learn Shock Wave? How have I just noticed it, that's amazing. Anyway, it'll be good for HMs and it can dish out some damage, so overall it's a good birb. Also, with Protect and Toxic is laughs in Slaking's face, but it won't do much aside from that.

Okay I think this is the last mon we need to fish for this update. Oh god Feebas is next.

Hey, hey! Why the hell are there TWO physical Water/Dark types in this gen? I think GF are loving idiots. Anyway, like Carvanha, Corphish will get an alright Sp.Atk to work with instead of its amazing Attack, but hey what else is new? Also its move levels got changed ever so slightly in FRLG for... some reason? ANYWAY, early Bubblebeam is pretty nice and then you get... Knock Off. Not even Bite, but you will learn Crunch... at level 43. For fucks sake. Okay, it can learn a fair few TMs to at least abuse its Attack, Sludge Bomb, Aerial Ace, Rock Tomb, all the good stuff. It even learns Swords Dance so you can pretend you've got better STAB without using it. Just another mixed messaging mon, the split seriously cannot come soon enough.

Surfing

"It's so peaceful..."

At least this track is good, cause we're gonna be hearing it A LOT. Also Swimmers. So many Swimmers.

Now here's the dealio, there's a lot of water routes in this game. There's also a lot of Swimmers and various trainers with Water Pokemon. Now I could show you every single trainer as we go from one to the other with LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE HAPPENING. But that's not too interesting for me, or you. So guess what, we're gonna be skipping over a fair few of them. Thankfully, there are some interesting things along the way which we'll go over in full.

Like sandy islands. We'll take it. The trainers are still uninteresting though, but we will be seeing a couple of new Pokemon here and there. Just a couple.

Begone, Tackle.

There are also some really obvious Emerald trainers around that I might go over, depends how I'm feeling.

I lost because I battled at sea. Yeah, for me, the sky is a much better match than the sea.

Yes... I am no good at battling... Huh? I'm so weak, but you're willing to register me in your POKENAV? I'm sure there are many secrets to be discovered in the world's seas. I mean to find them all!

Neat, sea booty.

You see why I got the Thunderbolt TM? It's SO GOOD.

Second giant rock, as interesting as the first.

I'm never skipping over important advice. Stay safe, kids.

You had your turn and you missed it.

We're back on Dewford Island, which has some super important stuff for us.

Granite Cave

Let's explore up here.

Smooth as silk.

Did you guys want a second hidden Everstone? No? Okay then.

What other exciting things has this cave got for us?

Oh yeah, rock smashing. :sigh:

It allows me to finally get a Geodude. Seriously, I couldn't find one when I first got here and then every rock I smashed didn't give one either. Well whatever, got one now.

We can also find Nosepass here at a 30% rate. This is terrible because you have to go up and down ladders to refresh them. I'm surprised I found one so quickly, since I wasn't looking forward to this.

To the town hall!

Hunh? You're telling me that you don't know about SLUDGE BOMB? That's outright pitiful. I'll give you one.

But POKEMON with the move "ALONE GROUP" are in, too.

Sludge Bomb is a fantastic physical attack that, uh, none of our team can learn. Nice. The saying changed too, I like it.

Surfing

Back to it on Route 107.

Hmm, have I forgotten to show something off? Well the answer is always yes, somehow.

Oh yeah, now that we've beaten daddy, trainers with a symbol by their name are ready to be rematched. I won't bother, since there's PLENTY of exp to go around. I wish my next team member wasn't so far away, as we're gonna get overlevelled, which is never fun.

(LISA) We challenge you as a sister and brother!

(LISA) Awesome. You're in a different class of tough. Do you have any friends who would go to the beach with you?

(RAY) My sister gave me my POKEMON. I raised it, and now it's my important partner!

Nobunaga needed Take Down, but Nimbus doesn't, since Secret Power is fine for now.

Hey guys there's a lot of Swimmers in this game.

Sounds spooky, let's go!

Abandoned Ship

How is every music track so good? It boggles the mind. Let's explore all that's here, a lot of cabins, a lot of items and a lot of trainers.

Not just curious, but also strong... You're such a tough TRAINER! Let me register you as a memento! The man next door... he says he's just sightseeing, but I don't know about that.

Oh, you're not my mom. I'm in trouble with my mom, so I ran. Keep it a secret where I am!

Down into the deck! Or whatever it is, I don't really know ship areas.

We need to get in here asap.

"How about a quick battle?"

Hello there wonderful ball child. While those are not stats you want to be lugging around until level 32, you'll at least have the moves for it. Ice Ball can get wildly out of control (though Defense Curl is FRLG for... some reason) and Aurora Beam is not far away. Basically, any Ice move that's not Ice Beam is in Spheal's moveset, which is pretty rad. Only Water Gun for the other STAB, but, uh, Surf. And that's it, no other special moves aside from STAB, but you can learn Iron Tail and Earthquake, even now, so that's pretty cool. Stats will become more impressive later on, but it's setting up for something pretty cool here. The fair few weaknesses aren't great, but that's some good STAB.

The ship's bottom has sunk into the depths. If a POKEMON knew how to go underwater, we might make some progress...

Ugh, diving. Dive Balls are pretty neat, giving a 3.5x boost to Pokemon found underwater. Gonna be a while before we can use it though.

Whoa, you overwhelmed me! It's not easy throwing POKE BALLS while hanging on to an inner tube!

These ambushes are pretty mean. Oh well, exp.

Walking around barefoot in this ship is kinda gross.

In a cabin somewhere on board, I saw something sparkle.

"But we discovered a TRAINER instead!"

(DAN) While searching for treasures, we discovered a TRAINER!

Oh hey it's that good move. Tail Glow has 20PP and raises Special Attack by 2 stages, which is amazing. While Illumise was supposed to be the special attacker of the two, this single move makes Volbeat better than her in every way.

(KIRA) Where could the treasures be? I've already decided what I'm buying when we find the treasures!

(DAN) We couldn't win even though we worked together... We can't find any treasures... I wonder if someone got them already?

Alright, what else is there?

Hmm, bummer dude.

Yoink!

Yessssssssssssssss

Now Nobunaga is much better, which is great, cause this is another item GF put postgame in ORAS. Yuck.

Surfing

Back to the water.

Here we go, level 32 for Wargreymon.

Ugh.

I love quadruped dinos, so Lairon is my 3rd favourite Pokemon. That stat boost is real nice, becoming a defensive monster and really being able to smack things around. Shame its movepool sucks, but we have all the important stuff for it already. The only move it'll learn before it evolves again is Protect, which is eh, so just keep hitting things with Rock Tomb and Iron Tail, it's the best you got for now. Otherwise, uh, yeah, just keep being awesome and stay away from like every Water, Fighting and Ground move ever.

Shouting is good for me! It uplifts me!

Since I'm at sea like this, I wouldn't mind putting on a pink, frilly swimsuit...

Alright, our team is shaping up, so let's get going.

Nearly finished with this surfing adventure. In the Abandoned Ship, we could've found a Tentacruel in the water with a 1% chance. gently caress that.

I'm cool even in defeat, hey? For a guy as macho as me, a port is the perfect setting! I guess I'll head for SLATEPORT.

This dude just lost one... This dude thinks you're a big one. No, you're a big-one-to-be!

Last bit of item hoovering.

Same. We're back on the mainland now and there's just a couple more things to do next time before we finally head to east Hoenn.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 06: Holding Out for Held Items

Since we've come across a few examples, let's talk about all the different held items Pokemon have. Now, there's no trading from previous generations and no wacky percentages, just a 5%, 50% or 100% chance a Pokemon will be holding an item when you catch it. There's two different tables for RSE and FRLG and it'll include Pokemon that can't be found in the wild in that game, but are programmed with items anyway. Gen 2 did that on occasion.

Also the ability Compoundeyes is rad, boosting each category by 50% of its value, so we have a 7.5%, 75% and, well, 100% chance of a Pokemon holding an item. If it can hold an item, of course. So without further ado, let's go over the RSE list for Pokemon you can catch in those games, going in National Dex order. You don't want to? Too bad! Here we go!!!

First up is Pikachu, with a 5% chance of holding a Light Ball, or a 50% chance of an Oran Berry. Immediately that's something to talk about as the Light Ball can only be obtained this way. There are also items that can only be obtained by rematching trainers over and over, but we'll go over those in another Side Notes, if you were curious. The Light Ball doubles Pikachu's Special Attack and, when held by either parent in Emerald, allows Pichu to know the move Volt Tackle when it hatches. This is the only way to know this move.

Sandshrew has a 5% chance of having a Quick Claw, Vulpix have a 100% chance of holding a Rawst Berry, Abra have a 5% chance of holding a Twistedspoon, the only way to obtain this item (lucky me!), Geodude and Graveler have a 5% chance of holding an Everstone, which we already have two of, Magnemite and Magneton have a 5% chance of holding a Metal Coat, which you can only find this way, have no need for in Hoenn and two can be found in FRLG anyway, so there's no need. Doduo and Dodrio have a 5% chance of holding a Sharp Beak, which cannot be obtained otherwise, Grimer has a 5% chance of holding a Nugget and Koffing has a 5% chance of holding a Smoke Ball, which we already have.

Horsea has a 5% chance of holding a Dragon Scale, which is annnoying as you can only find it on it and wild Bagon, whereas you get two in FRLG. Staryu has a 5% chance of holding a Star Piece and a 50% chance of holding Stardust. Both can be found in and around. Ditto has a 5% chance of holding Metal Powder, which doubles its Defense stat and cannot be obtained otherwise. Oh no, whatever will we do. Mew has a 100% chance of holding a Lum Berry. Neat! Chinchou has a 5% chance of holding a Yellow Shard, which can be traded for a Thunderstone. We only need one for the Hoenn Dex, which we already have, and you can find two shards normally, so you don't need to get searching, even if you wanted to then get a Jolteon. Girafarig have a 5% chance of holding a Pecha Berry and Shuckle have a 100% chance of holding an Oran Berry.

Corsola have a 5% chance of holding a Red Shard, which can be traded for a Fire Stone. You only need one for the Hoenn Dex, which we have and the remaining two, if you want to evolve past that, can be found underwater, so you have no need to search for these. Miltank have a 100% chance of holding Moomoo Milk and I'm super salty about this. Ho-oh has a 100% chance of holding a Sacred Ash and can only be obtained in Emerald, so you have to trade to get it in RS and there's a second one you can obtain on Navel Rock, as well as temporarily in the Battle Pyramid. Poochyena and Mightyena have a 5% chance of holding a Pecha Berry, while Zigzagoon has a 5% chance of holding an Oran Berry. Linoone have a 5% chance of holding a Sitrus Berry and a 50% chance of holding an Oran Berry.

Whismur and Loudred have a 5% chance of holding a Chesto Berry and Hariyama have a 5% chance of holding a King's Rock, which can be found later, have no use for the Hoenn Dex and two can be found in FRLG anyway. Skitty have a 5% chance of holding a Leppa Berry, while Aron and Lairon have a 5% chance of holding a Hard Stone, which we already have. Roselia have a 5% chance of holding a Poison Barb, which cannot be obtained otherwise. Gulpin has a 5% chance of holding a Big Pearl, which are only good to sell and can be found plenty otherwise. Numel have a 5% chance of holding a Rawst Berry, while Spinda has a 5% chance of holding a Chesto Berry.

Trapinch have a 5% chance of holding a Soft Sand, which we already have and Cacnea have a 5% chance of holding a Poison Barb, so at least they can be found in Emerald. Lunatone have a 5% chance of holding a Moon Stone, while Solrock have a 5% chance of holding a Sun Stone. As we've already seen, you need two Moon Stones for the Hoenn Dex and in Emerald and Ruby, you can only get one, period. And if you want to complete the National Dex, you'll need to obtain 3 more. The Sun Stone, meanwhile, is only needed once in the Hoenn Dex, you get one later on and only need another one to complete the National Dex, so you can do that in Ruby and Emerald, but not in Sapphire. It's pretty dumb, but oh well, hacking gives no fucks.

Castform have a 100% chance of holding a Mystic Water, which can't be obtained otherwise, Kecleon have a 5% chance of holding a Pecha Berry, Shuppet, Banette, Duskull and Dusclops have a 5% chance of holding a Spell Tag, which cannot be obtained otherwise. Clamperl have a 5% chance of holding a Blue Shard, which become Water Stones. We need two for the Hoenn Dex and we can get four overall from shards and stones, so you need to find one more shard to complete the National Dex. Relicanth have a 5% chance of holding a Green Shard, which become Leaf Stones. Again, we need two for the Hoenn Dex and can find three stones overall, but to complete the National, you will need to find one more shard. Luvdisc have a 50% chance of holding a Heart Scale, so it becomes easier to grind with Compoundeyes. Finally, Bagon have a 5% chance of holding a Dragon Scale. As a final gently caress you, Jirachi has a 100% chance of holding a Star Piece. Hilarious.

Now for the Pokemon that can't be obtained normally in RSE, but do have items they wouldn't have if they could be found in FRLG. Let's go!

Sandslash has a 5% chance of holding a Quick Claw, whereas it has a 5% chance of a Soft Sand in FRLG. Cleffa, Clefairy and Clefable have a 50% chance of holding a Leppa Berry, whereas their 5% chance of a Moon Stone is retained in FRLG. Similarly, Vulpix and Ninetales have a 50% chance of a Rawst Berry in FRLG, probably to keep berries rarer. Poliwhirl, Poliwrath and Politoed have a 5% chance of holding a King's Rock, same with Slowpoke, Slowbro and Slowking. Mr. Mime has a 5% chance of holding a Leppa Berry, while Smoochum and Jynx have a 100% chance of holding an Aspear Berry and Magby and Magmar have a 100% chance of holding a Rawst Berry. Guess Elekid and Electabuzz wasn't good enough for a Cheri Berry.

Snorlax has a 100% chance of holding Leftovers, instead of a 100% chance of a Chesto Berry in FRLG, while Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite have a 5% chance of holding a Dragon Scale, instead of Dragonair and Dragonite having a 5% chance of holding a Dragon Fang. Pichu has a 5% chance of holding an Oran Berry and Sneasel has a 5% chance of holding a Quick Claw. And that's it. Wasn't that fun kids? It better be, cause who knows when the next Side Notes will be?

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 16, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I like HMs (well, Defog and Flash can rot in hell), but I might be biased since my favourite region is Sinnoh.

We'll be deciding on Pelipper's nickname when we also decide what it's contest category and moves will be, so that's at least 5 updates away. Probably.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

It looks like the two name explanations are switched here.

Oh yeah, they are. Oh well.

magikid posted:

So do you have like some kind of agenda or

lmao, I was thinking I was using it a bit too often, but it's too hard to stop, I'm sorry.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Glad you're enjoying the LP! And I'm glad to contribute towards Lowtax's eventual forum upgrades. Any day now. Just around the corner.

Anyway, yeah, I'm looking forward to contests a lot too (much more than the... other thread submission area) since I've barely played them as I didn't see the need to. I'll be looking forward to diving into them completely, but we're just a little bit away from it still, so it can wait for now.

I'd love some rock candy right now, though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 15: Forward to Fortree

Slateport City

We're back in Slateport and here to peruse the black market. What've you got?

Oh yeah that's the good stuff. There's two more locations to buy some sweet Secret Base stuff and then we'll start thinking of where we want our Base. Of course I'm gonna go into ridiculous detail about this mechanic. When don't I?

Since we can't head out east this way (I am dreading these three routes so much holy poo poo), looks like we're heading to Route 118.

Your POKEMON had an EGG! We don't know how it got there, but your POKEMON had it. You do want it, yes?

Looks like I can breed correctly after years of solely using Ditto. Thankfully we only need to do this two more times.

By going left to right along this line, you can easily do 300 steps each time without interruptions. Add in Slugmom and...

We very quickly hatch a little baby! Good job team, we'll do some more breeding later, but we really need to get out of this area, we've been here long enough.

Route 118 East

Have you met many kinds of POKEMON since I last saw you? There are many, many kinds of POKEMON in this wide world of ours. If you wanted to raise only your favorites, that's fine. Perhaps you find it more fun to raise all sorts of POKEMON. As a TRAIER of POKEMON, what do you think? Of course, it's not any of my business. It would be nice if we were to meet again somewhere.

I could've put this music in when we first got here, as the music is different depending on which side of the route you're on, but the adventurous tune fits so much better for when we're actually heading up to the next city.

At least these have finally grown. However our team doesn't really need 30HP recovery anymore... not that I really use berries all that much.

They did take flight... If they'd get stronger, they'd be able to fly more freely...

There's gonna be a lot of cool new Pokemon and trainers, so buckle up everyone, it's gonna be quite the journey.

Urgh... I crashed... You've got great POKEMON. I'll have to train mine better.

Oh hey this Linoone also has Pickup. Well since we've got it until the next Pokemon Center, might as well milk some items! Since it's above level 20, we'll get some different items than Freesample, so we should definitely level Freesample before too long.

I wish I had the opportunity to say doggo as much as I say birb.

What's on this route? New Pokemon to find in the grass? Haha, I wish, that would make things more interesting coming up.

You know, I forgot how many physical Dark types there are in this game. Holy moley. Absol works despite its typing due to its massive Attack and getting Swords Dance relatively early, though because it's super frail, it makes it difficult to actually set up. When it does get going though, oh baby, it has a good enough physical movepool (through TMs) to actually do some damage, with Shadow Ball, Aerial Ace and eventually Slash at level 36. That's about it though, it has a large special movepool, like most Pokemon with low Sp.Atk, but it does just fine, despite not getting to use STAB.

Pressure increases the PP cost of opponent's moves by 1, even if the move misses or hits an immunity. Very useful to stall out some Pokemon and is an ability usually found on legendaries. It also increases the chance of finding a higher-leveled Pokemon by 50%.

They say that you can't judge a person by their appearance. But often, their looks don't lie...

Don't tell my brother I lost. You have to keep it a secret!

Ooh, it's raining, that's cool.

The BERRY MASTER's garden is filled with uplifting fragrances.

That's some good booty right here. Pomeg Berries raise friendship and lower HP EVs, Grepa Berries do the same, except lower Sp.Def EVs, and Qualot Berries lower Def EVs. There's a bit more to the Pomeg Berry that we'll go over much later. Oh yes we will, ehehehehehe.

I dream of filling the world with beautiful flowers, so I raise BERRIES and hand them out to everyone. You're deserving of one!

Why by stingy? Take another!

Be sure to visit the PRETTY PETAL flower shop near RUSTBORO. Let flowers fill the world!

Two daily berries, just like that. He gives two out of a possible of ten berries, which another character later on can also give out. The Tamato Berry increases happiness and lowers Speed EVs.

He makes me proud, that he does. Incidentally, child, have you heard a good saying lately?

I want you to have this.

Our four grandchildren should become more accomplished than my husband. Joy never goes out of my life!

The Berry Master's wife is even more important. There are 5 phrases to give her that correspond to the last 5 berries in the game (that you can get normally) and can't be found anywhere else. GREAT BATTLE is the only phrase we can do right now, as we don't have the right words for the other phrases obtaining just yet. The Spelon Berry does... nothing! But it's really rare.

(YUKI) Okay! We're beating the TRAINER's POKEMON!

(MIU) TRAINER, your POKEMON are strong because you are friends.

(YUKI) Uh-oh, we lost. Why are you so strong? We've never lost before.

Interestingly, that girl is called Yuki in the Japanese versions too, but remember that Brendan's name is actually Yūki, but that would've been annoying to keep typing out and all that.

Alright, onto Route 119, where there's more rain and tall grass that you can't ride your bike through. Oh yeah, we've switched over to the Acro Bike again and we might actually use it this time!

There's even lightning on occasion! Now it's even harder to tell what's going on, hell yeah SSLPs.

But if you win, I lose... I can't MIMIC you winning the match. That's just impossible... it's burning me up...

Whoop, that was a great match! We're the MIMIC CIRCLE! I hope you enjoyed our performance.

I guess I should talk about them, the Mimic Circle copy your movements, but they're not all mirrored, so you might get surprised when someone turns right when you turn up, or something. I don't really follow their movements. This will be an important mechanic later, so look out for it!

What's so good about mimicry? Fufufu... you'll never understand...

Hey, let's get a new Pokemon.

BANANA DINOSAUR. That's it, what else do I need to say? Okay, it doesn't have the greatest stats, but can be an alright mixed attacker, which helps due to its mixed STABs, but really it's just a super useful HM user. Like most Grass and Flying users, it has gently caress all for STAB and has to manage with, uh, Gust and Magical Leaf unless you give it some TMs... which doesn't make it much better. At least it gets Earthquake, Body Slam, Giga Drain, Cut, Fly, Flash, Rock Smash... NO, it's not a HM slave! It's a good dinosaur that can do some good damage if you take the time to raise it. But it's also really slow and weak to a lot of moves, so maybe it's better as a utility mon.

Lot of nice items around. Back to the circle.

Until you go away somewhere, we'll keep on mimicking your every move.

I wish we'd never met... I want to MIMIC you some more. Can you hurry up and move?

Alright, we can move on from the crap circle.

I don't wanna know what's going on in that house, so let's go over to this Fisherman.

Yeah, yeah, don't remind me I have to catch one of these drat things. Look, I'll do it next update, okay? Well, when you finally find one of these drat things, it's basically Magikarp, so it's poo poo. Though unlike Magikarp, it can learn TM and Egg moves, meaning it isn't stuck with Tackle until it evolves. Oh yeah I have to evolve this fuckin thing too. poo poo. We'll have to wait a bit longer in Emerald to get a Milotic, but it's a hassle getting it in RS by this point anyway, so it's good to wait. Feel free to evolve it whenever, unless you want to keep Flail for whatever reason. Anyway, yeah, don't use it, evolve it when you get to Lilycove.

Go for a SURF on my POKEMON... then fish off its back... it's an indescribably luxuriant moment!

Good little pocket over here.

Some more berries and... could it be? A use for the Acro Bike?

It's a christmas miracle. Not only can we hop up rocks, we can hop along these weird bridge things.

It's only for that Calcium though.

Do you have a POKENAV? It's a must-have tool for any TRAINER. Oh, you do have one! Let's register each other, then! You're traveling light but you have everything you need. You're on top of things mentally and physically, too.

This is quite the wild path we're on, I love it, the wild feeling of Hoenn is great.

I hope you'll give me a rematch without mocking my lack of knowledge. To break away from civilization and awaken the wild spirit within! That's our vision.

Still a lot of trainers in these wilds, but having rain around for Nobunaga is super nice.

Oh, but... that's not fair. You're asking if my parasol is heavy? Your BAG is filled with more junk than I ever carry around.

We lacked potential... Ever since I was a little kid, I always admired BIRD POKEMON...

I mean, you are right that my bag is full of junk, but it still hurts.

"Let's have a good one!"

Let's have a nice single battle with this guy who could really work on his phrasing.

NANI?

You're pretty amazing! Hohoho! Hohoho! I'll try emulating the pep of kid TRAINERS like you!

You're surprisingly good! My surprise attack ended in failure...

A fair few bird nuts around here. No problem now that we have Ice Beam.

Down and out! My bird POKEMON made my dreams of flying come true!

This journey seems a bit straightforward so far. What's there to do around here?

Cheers familiar looking guys, Weather Institute it is!

Weather Institute Takeover

See you guys in 8 hours!

Oh, no... I'll catch an earful for losing to a kid... I should just take a nap in bed...

There's just a bunch of uninteresting grunts around, so let's skip to the main attraction.

You're either absolutely fearless, simply ignorant, or both! You're so cute, you're disgusting! I'll put you down, kiddy!

It's our first Aqua Admin, not particularly dangerous though.

Like not at all. Okay maybe our team is getting a bit overlevelled cause of where our last two members are. Whoops!

It's bad enough to have TEAM MAGMA blunder about, but now there's you! What makes you want to sniff around in our business, anyway?

They appear to be headed for MT. PYRE!

What?! We can't waste any more time here! We have to hurry to MT. PYRE, too! Ahahahaha! TEAM MAGMA, just you wait!

There's plenty of them in the INSTITUTE--go ahead and take it. I've been researching for many years, but it's ridiculous to think that humans can freely change the weather.

Castform is a pretty interesting Pokemon and, like Shedinja, has enough to discuss that it's over here.

Route 119

With that mild distraction out of the way, it's time to move on. Let's go river surfing!

Man isn't it great not having to think about finding Feebas for the moment? Though like that waterfall, eventually I'll have to deal with it and go over them.

Neat, now we can evolve Nuzleaf. Later. When we see its evolution. Alright, back to our journey.

May Encounter

How much stronger have you gotten? Let me check for you! Ready with your POKEMON? Of course you are! Go!

Rival Battle

It's been a while, but now it's time for our fourth rival battle. This Slugma is the rain is the perfect metaphor for how these rival battles will be going forward.

Were you expecting anything else?

How rude. Fake Out has 40BP, 10PP, 100% accuracy and +1 priority to flinch the opponent, but can only be used on the turn the user is sent out. In this gen only, it does not trigger contact related effects.

This Grovyle is pretty dangerous, but we are way too strong for this point in the game, so Nimbus has this. Leaf Blade has 70BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy, as well as a increased crit chance. It's one of the best Grass moves in the game and a huge boon for the Treecko line. That's how sad the Grass type is right now.

Man Nimbus needs something soon, or she'll be having a rough time.

But I had absolutely nothing to worry about! Keep it up! And, here! I have a present for you.

"already visited."

But, to use FLY, you have to get the GYM BADGE from FORTREE CITY. That's important, so don't forget. You should FLY home and visit LITTLEROOT for a change. I bet your mom's worried about you, YUKI. Well, let's meet again somewhere!

Route 119

You just beat that TRAINER, didn't you? It was pretty obvious that you did. The kid looked really upset with a face all red from anger. I sure seem to run into you often. Are you off to FORTREE GYM next? I expect that you'll do well at the GYM. Well, I'll be seeing you!

Scott enjoying that we're a stone cold destroyer of friendships. We'll give Fly to Nimbus soon enough, but right now it's as strong as Peck over two turns and we can't use it until the next badge anyway.

Cheers, Freesample, for the free sample.

"It's our time to shine, whoa, yeah!"
"I emerge to challenge you!"

That totally looks like a hidden item alcove.

You showed me who's the boss! We'll have to take the loss, oh, no! Hit me with another power chord! Leave me alone! Your win you have to atone!

I admit defeat! Those defeated in battle withdraw quietly back into the shadows. That, too, is destiny...

Aw man, there must be something good here, guarded by two trainers AND an invisible object!

To hide a tree, use a forest! To hide a POKEMON, use a POKEMON! There is no deep, hidden meaning to that.

Well that was an adventure getting here. Next time, it seems like quite the city is explorable to us, a good reward.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So as you're gonna see next update, our team is going to be crushing everything nearby because we've had four team members for quite a while and they're getting too ahead of the curve. Thankfully, to fix this, it is time for our fifth team member to hopefully suck up all the exp and let the rest of the team get back in line with everyone else. Hopefully. If not our final team member isn't hugely far.

Anyway, what do you call a discarded hand puppe- did it just move? I could've sworn it just moved. Ah, I'm sure it's fine and it doesn't hate us in the slightest.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, voting is closed, with Calbrena winning with 7 votes! Cheers everyone, nice spread of names this time around.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 16: Tree Flight

Fortree City

It's the city of Fortree, where the houses are trees and the people are probably trees too.

Fortree City/Hiwamaki City: The treetop city that frolics with nature.
From fort and tree, or fortress, and hiwa (light yellow-green) and maki (yew plum pine).

I'm glad we're finally in good item territory, always good to stock up for the various roads ahead.

Treeeeeeeeeeehouses!!!

"I'll do anything for it!"

...Uh... did you hear that? My shout from the bottom of my heart? Having heard that, you will trade your VOLBEAT for my PLUSLE, won't you?

Eh, I guess. If you lucked out and found a 2% Volbeat, you can save having to catch a 2% Plusle. I don't really care about such things, so now I have two Plusle.

I'm going to make VOLBEAT super strong from this moment on! I hope you do the same with PLUSLE!

We don't even get an item for it, just some lovely Mail. Oh well, such is life.

Let this old woman see if your hidden power has awoken... I hold a coin in my hand. Now, tell me, have I palmed it in my right hand? Or in the left?

Right, right, left.

Hidden Power is alright if you get the right IVs for coverage. Since I'm running with random Pokemon, the best I've got is 61BP Fire for Nobunaga. I'll pass.

I can teach your POKEMON how to SLEEP TALK instead. Interested? Oh, fine, fine. You want to stay awake with HIDDEN POWER, too...

One day we'll reach the good move tutors. One day...

Can't enter the Gym just yet, but there's still one more hut of interest.

Want some tables and chairs? Even more stuff for our eventual Secret Base.

Route 120

That's all we can do for the moment, so let's see what we can do otherwise. Oh, by the way, click that music link. Do it. NOW.

Ah, finally.

It's a Dragon, we haven't had one of those before (since I never used Kingdra) and it's not too amazing compared to all the other strong Dragons in the game. It has pretty mediocre attacking stats and is instead a relatively speedy tank. Well, it's Sp.Def doesn't protect it from a 4x weakness to Ice and the best Flying move it learns is Aerial Ace. Not too great there. However, it can learn a lot of different special moves, like Fire Blast and Ice Beam, as well as Earthquake and even Dragon Dance, if you wanna sweep somehow. It'll do, but there are others that absolutely blow it away.

"So I shield them with my parasol."

At least Wargreymon evolved when we had Nimbus, but he still needs to evolve once more.

Also since Nimbus doesn't have, or need, Secret Power anyway, she can have the Amulet Coin, while Ranmaru gets the Twistedspoon.

I should've talked to Ty instead, since we've seen what Gabby says when we fight them again.

(TY) Hey, lookie here! I remember you! I'll get this battle all on this here camera!

(TY) You're a natural! Got some prime footage right here!

Uh sure, whatever.

Your POKEMON were stronger... You can be counted on to get better. I'd like to register you in my POKENAV! A POKEMON that grows steadily is one you can count on.

Oh hey it's that stoned guy, whatever his name was.

Now, if I were to use this device on the invisible obstacle... No, no. Rather than describing it, I should just show you. That would be more fun. YUKI, are your POKEMON ready for battle? YUKI, show me your true power as a TRAINER!

What a surprise, the invisible blocks around here were Kecleon. Well hey, might as well catch it.

I wonder how many more of these are around?

I'd like you to have this DEVON SCOPE. Who knows, there may be other concealed POKEMON.

I enjoy seeing POKEMON and TRAINERS who strive together. I think you're doing great. Well, let's meet again somewhere.

Farewell for now, probable Batman.

Now we can get to the delicious items down here.

Thankfully we don't need to fight them and, uh, this whole mechanic is kinda pointless. There's only a few hidden Kecleon around here and only one more, the one in front of the Gym, actually have a point to them. The rest of them are just in random places, so I wonder why we needed to waste the Key Item slot.

Ooh, a secret cave.

Well that was kinda neat, but why is there a random cave here? Well, in regards to the region this, uh, region is based on, this cave is based on the Ama-no-Iwato, where the sun god Amaterasu was forced to by Susano'o, the god of storms. How interesting!

Sup? Let's catch some Pokemon.

We can finally catch dark doggo.

...Kecleon could've been encountered as early as Route 118, but it's only a 1% encounter. I'm kinda scared how randomly lucky I'm getting.

I wonder what Absol is doing in this area to warn us about? Is the Gym Leader evil?

Thankfully we don't have to fight every Kecleon we uncover, but I think only two or so actually flee.

...there's really nothing here? The gently caress?

Well that was fun, off to the Gym!

Pokemon Gym

She's waiting at the back of this GYM, behind the rotating doors. She's waiting for new challengers who are trying to take wing! Okay, go for it!

Turntable puzzles are this Gym's deal. Shouldn't be too bad.

You'd better watch it! Don't get distracted staring at WINONA or you'll go crashing down in a heap!

Since we've found a lot of Flying types so far, the Gym won't really have anything new for us, unfortunately. But that doesn't mean nothing new is gonna happen.

Now with Leaf Blade, this line became much easier to use and it only gets slightly better from here. Before you start thinking of all the cool special moves you'll get to use with that Sp.Atk, it'll only be Dragon Claw. Hey, that's not too bad, but you'll have to go physical the rest of the way. So Earthquake, Brick Break and Aerial Ace seem like the best choices. You won't be learning anything interesting anymore, so stock up with TMs and you'll do just fine. This region has a poo poo ton of Water routes, after all.

FIRE/FIGHTING. With Blaze Kick to actually give you a good Fire move and Slash not far ahead, this chicken will do just fine. However, if you're thinking Sky Uppercut would be useful here, it's not until level 59, so Brick Break will have to do and that's still a bit away. Earthquake and Aerial Ace to close it out and, uh, that's your lot. I know I keep using the same moves over and over again, but you really don't have other options and those are stats you can't ignore, they're great! It does have quite a few weaknesses though, but it's not like there's a load of water areas coming up, right? Hahaha.

Another physically strong starter, with STAB Earthquake to (eventually) abuse and plenty of Water HMs to teach it! Oh yeah that's right, even though it doesn't have the greatest Sp.Atk, it'll be your Surf, Waterfall and Dive user, no room for Earthquake AND Ice Beam on this set, gotta use those HMs! Not that it really needs anything else, its exclusive move of Muddy Water is just a less accurate Surf, big deal. I guess you can give it Iron Tail or Brick Break, but you don't wanna have to lug around a Water Pokemon, right? You'll also find the Earthquake TM well before you actually learn the move itself.

"Do you have the smarts to get to our LEADER?"

You wait a fair while for evolutions and then two come at once. As if we weren't overpowered already...

Pretty easy puzzle to solve, but there's one left.

"I'm plenty good enough for you!"

Plenty of bird brains around. Uh, here in the bird brain Gym. What a surprise.

WINONA, I... I lost! WINONA is cute and she's strong. She's the ultimate LEADER! Blush...

It was too much of a load for me to bear... The world is huge, and there are countless tough TRAINERS. I'm going to keep training and make myself even stronger.

Sure, you beat me all right. But you'd better watch it! Our LEADER WINONA's POKEMON are all business.

Can you solve the puzzle?

Uh yeah, they're not difficult in the slightest. Time for the Leader!

However grueling the battle, we have triumphed with grace... Witness the elegant choreography of BIRD POKEMON and I!

VS Gym Leader :siren: VS Leader Winona :siren:

Winona/Nagi: The bird user taking flight into the world.
From winnow, an air current separating heavier and lighter objects and wind, and from nagi (Asian bayberry, or calm/lull).

Good job guys. I hate that I have to use Iron Tail.

But there we go, Swablu should never be a problem, neither should the Swellow in RS be either. Aside from the newly added Tropius as well, Winona's team doesn't change and features basically all the good Flying types the region has to offer.

She's going straight to her ace, so we should be able to deal with that no problem.

Unless that happens. Man, I could've lived two of those easily if it hadn't crit.

I also don't know why it has an Oran Berry. Oh well, makes my life easier.

Nimbus is here to save the day. Dunno why it's making its Aerial Ace stronger, it knows Dragonbreath.

It seems like the Oran Berry kept it from dying, so, uh, gently caress it completely, actually.

I shouldn't be fancy trying to finish it with Steel Wing as you should never use moves that aren't 100% accurate all the time, but... it just keeps using Dragon Dance. Sure it's a Dragon move, but it's not doing any damage, my dude.

Oh well, let's see what everything else does.

If, you know, I didn't 2 shot it. Perhaps, just maybe perhaps, my team is a bit strong.

So far this Pelipper has done gently caress all. Big strong Nobunaga has this in the bag.

Especially when that happens, yowza.

I, uh, think we're in the clear here. Aerial Ace has 60BP, 20PP and bypasses accuracy checks. Unfortunately for a lot of Flying types that don't learn *snicker* Sky Attack, this is the strongest STAB move they'll get.

"than I..."

In recognition of your prowess, I present to you this GYM BADGE.

Pokemon Gym

"trades, will obey your every command."

You will also be able to use the HM move FLY outside of battle. And this... this is a gift from me.

Its speed... no POKEMON should be able to avoid it. Though I fell to you, I will remaining devoted to BIRD POKEMON.

Well that was Winona. She sure had a charact- er, she sure had strong Poke- er, she was definitely the 6th Gym Leader. Yep.

Fortree City

Your strength... perhaps you really are the TRAINER that I've been searching for. Remember, you have a fan in me. I'll be cheering from the sidelines. Keep up the great work!

With those words of encouragement and our new HM, we're now ready to head off to the next city for another grand adventure!

Alright fine, I'll catch a loving Feebas.

You know, when I actually hook something. Sigh.

Wouldn't it have been so cool if that had just been it? Well, on the entirety of Route 119, there are 6 water tiles that have a 50% chance of fishing up Feebas. You might have noticed there's a lot of water tiles on this route. So many that no one's really counted them. You can use any rod for this and you have to fish in a tile multiple times JUST IN CASE, since it's not a guarantee.

Once you're sure that tile doesn't contain Feebas, just move on to the next one and try again. And again. And again. AND AGAIN. Until you finally fish one up. Once you do that, you can breed them and never bother with it again. The only positive aspect to this garbage system is that whenever the trendy saying in Dewford changes, so too do the Feebas tiles, though they're unrelated aside from that. So, if you find a Feebas tile, you can mix records with a friend and they'll find Feebas in the same tile.

Wow! Look at that! I found one. What. Are. The. Chances. Yeah, I hacked one in (and also learned the codes don't apply to fishing encounters) and there we go, that's how you find a Feebas. As easy as that.

Oh and catching a Feebas in DPP is even worse, so I've got that to look forward to as well! Ah, jk, I'll be hacking it in that time too.

Route 120

Onwards to the next city!

It's raining again.

The move FLY is convenient, don't you think? While the POKEMON is flying, almost no moves can strike it.

If any one of them is missing, the picture of beauty will be ruined.

Oh hey it's that weather thingy I forgot about already.

I think it's awesome you're so strong battling with your favorite POKEMON.

A parasol wouldn't suit you at all. Why, something like this would only get in your way.

"I bet you didn't know where I was!"

Have I mentioned how much I love double battles yet? Cause I do, they're great.

I wonder... should I evolve my POKEMON? They're cute the way they are, though.

Our camouflage cloaks are all handmade.

Ew, it's all wet.

"TRAINER, learn about them."

The special abilities of POKEMON will make battle styles change.

It's a grass maze! How puzzly.

"rough time in critical situations."

Fitness training is in my routine. I always run with my POKEMON.

Man these things are everywhere.

Like I say to everyone that uses healing items in battle: stop that.

To travel wherever your heart desires with POKEMON... that's the joy of being a TRAINER.

Phew, we're out of there.

Nothing down on that shore aside from Secret Base areas. Hrm.

Lost it... ... ... ... ... Do you have a POKENAV...? ... ... ... ... ... ... I'll try harder...

Weird guy, but he's also good, as I'll go over later.

It's an expression of love, isn't it? Yes, yes. You understand what I mean. You should take this.

Yeah it's a little bit rare. This woman will give you a single berry each day, but what it is depends on your last ID number. 0 or 5 gets you a Figy Berry, 1 or 6 is Wiki, 2 or 7 is Mago, 3 or 8 is Aguav and 4 or 9 is Iapapa. All of these berries restore HP by 12.5% when they go under half, but confuses the Pokemon if it doesn't like the flavour, depending on its Nature. This woman is the only way to get Wiki, Mago and Aguav berries, so you better hope you have the right ID number!

Berries here, get your berries here!

Before I looked into Kecleon locations, I had no idea how many there were I didn't know about.

More good poo poo, oh baby!

The creation of new ninja techniques is but a distant dream... Perhaps I ought to apprentice under a ninja sensei.

Are you perhaps searching for ancient ruins that are rumored to possibly exist according to legend?

That giant rock... I would like to believe it may indeed contain ancient ruins. But I see no entrance.

Hey, no sneaking in the back way! Anyway, that's the last Kecleon we can find. Seriously, that was the Devon Scope. What a useful item.

Now it's been around 300 images, so this part should be ending? Well, we're gonna quickly catch something here.

After, uh, literally every previous Ghost being a special user despite the Ghost type itself, it's great to finally find one with high Attack! Hopefully that stays forever. Anyway, all you'll get is Shadow Ball, it doesn't really learn that many moves, especially during level up. Like hey, do you want Faint Attack? Well you might have to, since the TM for Shadow Ball isn't far off, but aside from some cool special moves, you'll be using, uh, Return, for your physical coverage. I sure know how to pick em, don't I? Also holy gently caress this thing is frail, keep it away from Ghost and Dark types. Or just strong attackers in general.

Insomnia prevents the user from falling asleep from moves like Rest, or from Spore and Yawn and such. It's helpful, but nothing too exciting.

Finally, our fifth team member. I wish I could've caught it on Route 123 so the rest of our team didn't go wildly out of control in levels, but hey, I'm sure it'll be fine. Thanks to Solumin for this nickname.

...Timid? Seriously? Goddammit, that's +Spd -Atk, which, uh, isn't great for a physical attacker, I'll be honest. Oh well, it'll have to do, so let's see how Calbrena does next time.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 24, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, shoot, I didn't list what it was, cheers for that.

I'm not bothered about Natures for SP, since I roll with whatever I get and it very rarely comes up (not that I'd ever notice or remember anyway), but there's very few natures that actually work (and even less for mixed attackers), so it always feels like you're not getting the best deal.

Also Solumin, you're totally right that Calcabrina would've fit, I was seeing it as 11 for whatever reason. Whoops!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 21, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah I haven't really thought about it much, but I don't know what I'll do about Mirage Island. Hopefully there's a way to hack it in, or to see the numbers so I can make a Pokemon show it, or just get super lucky and get it legit for the first time in my life.

I think I know which options I'd rather choose.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Explopyro posted:

Crosspiece, someone made a program that'll take care of all of that, if you want to use it:
https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/33817-mirage-island-appearance-rusaem/

It does everything you're looking for - it'll tell you the value, check every pokemon in your save to see if any of them match, and if no match is found it gives you the option to change the save's Mirage Island bytes to match the first pokemon in your party. I've used it and can vouch that it works.

:stare:

That saves a bit of googling when the time comes, thank you!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Not at all, I watch my threads like a hawk, so the fast reply was appreciated, since I've got it all set up and working. Looks like Freesample is gonna explore Mirage Island for us!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 17: Sights of Lilycove City

Route 121

With our new team member, it's time to take her for a test drive and get her up to the rest of the team. When we get to the next Pokemon Center, we'll also give her the Protein I've been stockpiling.

Right, let's start clearing Route 121.

To counteract the strong Shuppet, Duskull is very defensive and slow, which is great when you need to stall something or take little damage but, uh, that's not what single player is for. Those attacking stats are miserable for actually fighting and it's made worse by its movepool, which are mostly support moves. Now that's great as a supportive backbone, but it also means your only attacking moves until you evolve are Astonish and Pursuit. Like wow that's bad. At least it doesn't have an expansive special movepool while being unable to it, as it only really has Ice Beam to abuse, while the rest is the usual physical stuff. Even when it evolves, it won't be packing that much of a (Shadow) punch, so I think it's best to skip, unless you fight your friends.

With Calbrena holding the Exp. Share, she'll be sucking up all the exp, which is just what I want.

I bought too much stuff at the LILYCOVE DEPT. STORE. It's up the road from here. I wish I had a BAG like yours.

MT. PYRE... there is a mysterious power at work there...

I took it easy on you this time! It won't be that way the next time! Maybe I'll go catch more POKEMON at the SAFARI.

Eh, we'll deal with that later. It makes more sense to head straight to Lilycove than Mt. Pyre. We've got enough distractions as it is!

While that cliffside had no hidden item, there's a Zinc just... sitting there. Not that I mind.

(KATE) Together, we're fearless! We'll demonstrate how tough we are!

(KATE) I blew it in front of my junior student partner... When someone's relying on me, I get this urge to look cool in front of them...

We'll visit the Safari Zone next update, since this one is packed enough as it is. We skipped one in Gen 2, but it'll be back in full force bullshit soon enough. We will however put Nimbus back in the PC to restore Dragonbreath PP, cause why not?

I could've fought these two Breeders individually, as they have 6 Pokemon each that's lowered to their first three when you fight them in a double battle... but then I'd miss a double battle and their Pokemon are weak and boring, so I don't care. We missed seeing Zigzagoon, Electrike and Numel from Myles and Marill, Sandshrew and Gulpin from Pat. I'm real beat up about that as you can tell.

They're great, your POKEMON! How do you raise them?

I raise every POKEMON with the same love and care--I don't pick favorites.

You might forget Pikachu is in the Hoenn Dex considering it appears so late and very few trainers use it.

I'm going to a CONTEST in LILYCOVE. My POKEMON should have no problem sweeping the MASTER CLASS.

Honestly, how could you level while Calbrena is stealing all your exp?

Your POKEMON prowess is remarkable. Allow me to register you as a memento. I would like to circle the globe once again with my POKEMON.

Neat, Calbrena needs that.

I think we're getting to the end here, but one last double battle stands in our way.

"Guess what? You're number five!"
"in CONTESTS."

The stakes have literally never been higher.

That's a nice addition. Will-o-Wisp has 15PP and 75% accuracy that burns the opponent. It's alright, but its hit rate is pretty frustrating when you need to Burn something NOW.

Pretty lights. Uh, Nuzleaf is best evolved at 31, otherwise Shiftry will never have Dark STAB, but if you don't wait until 49, you won't get Extrasensory, which is a super good attack because Shiftry's movepool is pretty awful. It does have nice mixed attacking stats so you can begrudgingly use Giga Drain and Faint Attack as its best STAB options and then go with Shadow Ball, Brick Break and Return as other options. No Earthquake though, that would make things too easy! Still, it has a really cool typing it can't use, it doesn't take hits too well and its movepool is rubbish, but hey, its at least perfectly usable. And that's the most you can really ask for... nearly 10 years into the series. Christ.

Okay Calbrena, I need you to calm down just a little bit. Ah, who am I kidding, everyone go crazy!

That was total humiliation! I won't forget you... hand over your POKENAV! I didn't expect to lose this easily... I'll win next time!

I may have to train my gang some more before entering any CONTEST.

Lilycove City

We've reached our destination. There's a lot to go over in this place, it's pretty big, so let's begin in the Pokemon Center. Also the music, goddamn.

Lilycove City/Minamo City: Where the land ends and the sea begins.
From the water plant lily and cove, and minamo (water algae/water's surface).[/i]

If you answer correctly, you can win fabulous prizes! Would you like to take the quiz challenge?

Seems simple enough. Though boo for saying machines aren't pretty.

Congratulations! You've got the quiz right! You've won a prize provided by Lady!

Finally, I can show off my skills as a quizmaster.

"answers your quiz correctly."

But beware, if the person taking the quiz can't get it right, I get to keep the prize!

I guess I could spare one of these.

What could possibly be the answer?

Three Pokemon Center ladies appear in Lilycove City only in Emerald and, like the old guys in Mauville, are determined by your ID number, only do something once and cannot be interacted with further until you mix records with another player. I'll go into more detail in the Side Notes. If you're interested in the prize, then it's simple, just meet me irl and mix records with me... on an emulator. If you can figure all that out, then you deserve that Rare Candy.

Ah finally, it's time to talk about Contests.

Contest Hall

Oh? It appears that you don't have a POKEBLOCK CASE yet. In that case, we need to provide you with this!

Hello! This is the reception counter for POKEMON CONTESTS. Would you like to enter your POKEMON in our CONTESTS?

We'll be going over the entirety of Contests in their own update, but they're a lot of fun and a nice little distraction from the main game. We can also finally make some Pokeblocks with the Berry Blending machines, as well as view past contest winners at the top there. We can also do a four way contest with friends, but I've never done that... don't make me mention having no Pokemon friends in my life again. I can't take the embarrassment!!!

Okay, dear! Let's get started! Let's BERRY BLENDER!

I hope you've been hoarding your berries as this is the best use for them, making Pokeblocks! It's an absolute necessity to create lots of good Pokeblocks to increase your Pokemon's sheen and succeed in contests. There is a lot to go over in the future and it's gonna be a blast!

It's best to blend with three other people, though you can make slightly different Pokeblocks depending on the number of players. The AI will match your type as best they can with alright rarity berries, but it's better to do it with friends. Again, don't have a choice!

I'm just glad this isn't Poffin stirring, just press A when the pointer gets to your side. Try and be as exact as possible, but it becomes much trickier as the device speeds up.

When you mistime your press, the machine will slow down and screw up your timing, so the AI is a bit frustrating to deal with in those cases.

When the bar on top fills up, that's your lot! You get graded on how precise you were, what your max speed was in rotations per minute and the total time. You then get the blended block, which has a lot more to it than you'd think. You can see your best records on a nearby board, but it doesn't really matter.

Lilycove City

The ferry S.S. Tidal is under construction in SLATEPORT CITY. Service is scheduled to begin shortly.

Got an item by this, uh, thing? What is this anyway?

Nearly every building in this city has something interesting to go over, which is always fun!

Huh?! Oh, sorry, sorry! I was snoozing! I came to check out this POKEMON CONTEST thing. I have to admit, it does look quite entertaining, but... Consider me a purist--I prefer battles and tough TRAINERS. But that's just me. YUKI, I hope you'll enjoy everything like the GYM, CONTESTS, BATTLE TENT, the whole works! I think it does take strategy to win a CONTEST. Devising CONTEST strategies is one way of becoming a better TRAINER, I'd say.

The Fan Club doesn't have anything for us just yet, but it's super important.

Overflowing with great merchandise and excitement! A great place to find that something you need!

Looks like the Department Store has a little something before we can go in.

May Encounter

Of course, I've also caught a lot of POKEMON, and I'm raising them properly, too. Actually, I'm more worried if you're raising POKEMON properly, YUKI. I'll battle with you, so you can show me your POKEMON, YUKI. The POKEMON I raised won't be beaten by your POKEMON, YUKI!

Rival Battle

Brendan/Yūki or May/Haruka: Rad Neighbor
From brave, and yūki (bravery). From May, a spring month that references haruka (spring flower).

If the various artwork and team overviews didn't tip you off, this is indeed the final Brendan/May fight in the game. Look at these Pokemon, their levels, their movesets, their unevolved forms. LOOK AT THEM. It's pretty pathetic and really sours me on the rival in this game. Thankfully ORAS gave them another battle after the Champion, their battle music is the one of the best in the series, and May becomes the cutest character ever, so all is forgiven, I guess. I understand why they did it, since we'll have a better rival fight later on, but it sucks that you never see your rival's starter go all the way.

Their starter is now a far cry from the monster it could possibly be by the third fight. Would it have killed them to boost everything by a couple levels? Oh well, we'll have all the starters evolved soon anyway.

Being overleveled doesn't help make my case, but I'll be using Calbrena for most of this fight anyway, so I'm not even gonna bother putting it into a video. Oh well.

Look at this Magcargo-lacking motherfucker. Disappointed!

And you thought Blue's final fight in Gen 1 had bad movesets...

And then there's THIS rear end in a top hat.

But since every Pelipper ever go for Protect on the first turn, it makes it super easy to beat. Yup, our newest team member soloed three of our rival's final Pokemon. She was a bit fragile to take on Grovyle, though.

I remember the battle I had with you, YUKI, on ROUTE 103. That battle helped you becomes this strong, YUKI, didn't it?

May Encounter

I've caught a decent group of POKEMON, and my POKEDEX is coming along, so I'm going home to show my dad. YUKI, what are you going to do? Collect all the GYM BADGES and take the POKEMON LEAGUE challenge? Well, while you're collecting BADGES, YUKI, I'm going to work on my POKEDEX. I'll complete it before you! See you!

Farewell rival of missed potential. It was nice having a supportive rival for a change, but like always, their team just doesn't match up.

Lilycove Department Store

Drat. You can get various prizes depending on how many ID digits match in reverse order. You can get a PP Up, an Exp Share, a Max Revive and a Master Ball for 2, 3, 4 and 5 matches. Nothing too crazy, aside from the Master Ball, but I only ever need the one.

You want nearly every item ever? Well here you go. Very nice time to stock up on all the good stuff.

Third floor has all the various drugs you'd expect. Whatever.

Some nice TMs, but the usual selection you'd expect at the Department Store. We've got TM17 Protect, TM20 Safeguard, TM33 Reflect, TM16 Light Screen, TM38 Fire Blast, TM25 Thunder, TM14 Blizzard and TM15 Hyper Beam.

We need our dragon to breathe fire!

:stare: Ah, here's where a ton of the Secret Base items are. We should get ourselves one of those, one of these days.

I think about how nice it would be if there were more than just one me so I could enjoy all sorts of lives. Of course it's possible. Giggle... I know! Would you be interested in having a POKEMON learn SUBSTITUTE?

I hope you'll get that way, too!

Is... this the first vending machine we've found in the game? I don't remember. Anyway, the rooftop will occasionally have a sale and sell rare Secret Base items you can't get anywhere else. Here's the list, since I dunno if we'll actually see the sale. And there we go, that's every Secret Base item we can obtain in one way or another, bar two, at least. This doesn't include most postgame items, since they're Emerald only and are a pain to obtain.

Art, motherfuckers!

Lilycove Museum

Hmm, yes, exquisite.

Ah, mmm, quite.

Have you viewed our collection of paintings already? Oh? I do believe that you seem to be a POKEMON TRAINER. Have you an interest in paintings, too? Ah, excellent! You do like paintings! Then, may I ask you to come with me?

Here, I don't wish to exhibit works of so-called classical art. Such classical works you can see on our ground floor. I wish to exhibit work that is far different from the classics. Art, after all, is not restricted to old, famous works! This exhibit hall, I wish to fill it woth... modern and vibrant artworks of POKEMON seemingly ready to spring forth into glorious life!

You must encounter lively POKEMON and works of art depicting them. If you were to come across such a painting, may we ask you to obtain the artist's permission to exhibit it here? I wish to fill this exhibit hall with modern and vibrant paintings of POKEMON.

Where on Pokearth could we find some cool paintings? I hope I can fill this exhibit, I've never done it before.

Lilycove City

Much better, we couldn't ignore the Move Deleter! We'll be shuffling a few HMs around here and there, movesets permitting, of course.

And you, a BERRY suits you to a "T"... why should that be so?

It's because you're a TRAINER!

Well that was lucky, we can get the first 11 berries from this guy and he gave us the one we needed and one that's pretty rare!

Neat.

Hunh? What do you want? You're messing up our training, so can you, like, get lost?

Hmm, a fair few pirates around. Well, it's probably none of my business.

I think we're a bit late in for a Pokeball to be hidden.

We're now done with Lilycove for the moment, but might as well drug up our party. We need Fire Blast to be usable, after all. Also, what the hey, let's evolve some more Pokemon, found in the usual location.

Trick House

Let's round off the update with the next Trick House challenge, since we got a new badge and all. While I would do these asap, this one doesn't have any trainers, so catching Calbrena first was more important.

IF YOU ANSWER QUIZZES CORRECTLY, THEN YOU WILL GO TO MECHADOLL 5. THEN YOU CAN OBTAIN THE SECRET CODE.

How good is your trivia? Think you can answer these questions on your first go? Hard mode: answer every question these dolls have.
A

ONE OF THESE POKEMON IS NOT FOUND ON ROUTE 110. WHICH ONE IS IT? ODDISH/POOCHYENA/TAILLOW
C

ONE OF THESE POKEMON IS NOT OF THE WATER TYPE. WHICH ONE IS IT? AZURILL/LOTAD/WINGULL
A

Still not too bad, but it spikes from here.
A

WHICH OF THESE POKEMON DID WALLY BORROW FROM YOUR FATHER? RALTS/ZIGZAGOON/SLAKOTH
B

WHICH OF THESE POKEMON WAS CHASING PROF. BIRCH? POOCHYENA/SHROOMISH/ZIGZAGOON
C

Alright now these can be tricky if you don't remember prices, or fudge your maths. One mark for the right answer, one more if you show your working.
Repel is $350 and a Soda Pop is $300, so $650, while Super Potions are $700, so B.

WHICH COSTS MORE? THREE HABOR MAILS OR ONE BURN HEAL? BURN HEAL/HARBOR MAIL/SAME PRICE
Harbor Mail is $50, so $150 for 3, while Burn Heal is $250, so A.

SELL ONE GREAT BALL AND BUY ONE POTION. HOW MUCH MONEY REMAINS? $60/$55/NOTHING
Great Balls are $600, so sell for $300, while a Potion is $300, so C.

Now this is where it gets bullshit. If you can remember this stuff, well done you weirdo, but I'm always bad at these. Still, one mark for the correct answer, one more mark for counting every category correctly.
Seashore House had 2 male trainers and the Soda Pop seller, so 3, and one female trainer, so A.

IN LAVARIDGE TOWN, WERE THERE MORE ELDERLY MEN OR ELDERLY WOMEN? ELDERLY MEN/ELDERLY LADIES/SAME NUMBER
There are 6 elderly men, compared to 5 elderly women, so A

IN THE TRAINER'S SCOOL, HOW MANY GIRL STUDENTS WERE THERE? NONE/ONE/TWO
B

Phew, once you have the scroll, you don't need to come back to it if you fail. Now for the final Mechadoll.

Like the 4th, this is just a trivia question. Due to this doll's positioning, you can tackle it 3rd to see if you've got a bad question or not. You did them in order in RS and they didn't change the 1st's dialogue to follow this.
B

IN FORTREE CITY, HOW MANY TREE HOUSES WERE THERE? 6/7/8
A

ON CYCLING ROAD, HOW MANY TRIATHLETES WERE THERE? 6/7/8
C

There we go, how did you do? I'm not a fan of this puzzle, since I usually get 3-5 wrong at least once.

Eh, we'll take it. At least the remaining puzzles are more enjoyable.

Next time, we'll be hea-

And next time, we've got the Safari Zone and Mt. Pyre to go to. Oh joy.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 24, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Side Notes 07: Lilycove's Sights: Young women and Decorations

Now that we've seen pretty much every item that can go in our Secret Base, let's go over them, as well as the various decorations we can obtain. Then we'll talk about some weird women in the Lilycove Pokemon Center that only appear in Emerald.

So once you obtain TM43 Secret Power, you can make a Secret Base in a hole in the wall (with red, brown, blue or yellow designs), a tree, or a bush. There's 75 different places and there's 4 different designs for each category, so you can make quite the unique base. From there, you can put in 16 decorations, including boards that you can only get from the Rooftop Sale in order to get over holes in the floor in some designs. And there we go. That's Secret Bases.

And then you mix records. When you do that, your friends' Secret Bases will appear in your game and you can visit them and even interact with them! After beating the game, you're even able to battle them, with the team they had at point of mixing records, meaning infinite experience! It's not exactly quick though, as you can only battle them once a day, resetting at midnight, but battling them is penalty free, though you can't steal their items. Oh well. Your appearance to your friends depends on the last digit of your ID, with 5 classes per gender.

So there's not a huge amount compared to the remake, though the main stuff remains the same, so let's go over the decorations. Now if you have the Trader in your game, then you can send version exclusive decorations to other games one at a time. I'm sure it's something you guys have done all the time. Definitely.

Anyway, we've got 9 chairs, with 8 obtained at Fortree and one costing 6000 ashes. There are 10 cushions and they must be placed on a desk, or mat, kinda defeating the point of them. They can be bought at Lilycove, bar the Smoochum one, which is postgame for 32BP. There are 9 desks and the 7 large ones can hold dolls and cushions. They can be bough for Fortree, except for the 8000 ash one. There are 17 mats overall, with eleven small mats that have special effects when you step on them, and seven large mats that can have 5 dolls or cushions placed on them. All the small mats are obtained in Slateport, with the other three findable in Lilycove. All large mats are found in Lilycove.

All six plants can be bought at the Pretty Petal Flower Shop. Woo. There are 10 posters, which are found at Lilycove, bar the Kiss Poster, which is postgame and 16BP. Ornaments are the leftover decorations that aren't dolls, with the 3 bricks and balloons obtained at Slateport. The bricks are basically desks, but hold one doll or cushion, while the balloon bursts when stepped on. The 3 TVs, 2 Fences and 3 Breakables are available during the Rooftop Sale. The fences can block areas, while the breakables, well, break when walked through or touched. There's also the Tire, the Solid Board, which lets you traverse holes, the Stand and the Slide, all from the Rooftop Sale. The rest of the Ornaments are obtained through other, trickier, means.

Finally, there are 32 dolls obtained in various ways, either from Slateport, Lilycove, or postgame for BP. You can place them on mats and since there's a mat in our bedroom, we can place dolls there too. There are 7 large dolls and 25 small dolls. There are also 3 more dolls that you won't be obtaining anytime soon: the Regi dolls. Those with a Japanese copy of RS that obtained the dolls by the e-Reader card Decoration Present, or by going to official Nintendo events could get those dolls. They can be obtained in other games, but you first need to mix records with a Japanese Emerald, then use that game to mix records with a non-Japanese Emerald and then, if you wish, mix that game with a non-Japanese RS of the same language. As easy as that!

Alright, since we're talking about record mixing, let's go over the Lilycove Ladies. Like with the old guys, they appear depending on your ID number. What are the specific numbers? I dunno, but the Quiz Lady appears when your number ends in 6. Anyway, let's start with the Contest Lady. She'll ask for a specific Pokeblock for her Pokemon and if you pick the right preference then... she thanks you on TV later. And that's it. Literally. That's it. Mixing records does nothing.

The Favor Lady will ask for an item of a certain description and if you get it right, then she'll give you the corresponding vitamin drink for that category. If you get it wrong, then you can try again tomorrow. And that's it, you can do it once and mixing records does nothing. Aren't these women worth your time?

The final lady, the Quiz Lady, is the most fleshed out and asks you a question, giving you a fairly rare item if you get it right. Then, you can select an item from your bag and create a new quiz for your mixing record friend that you've been using in all these instances I've mentioned this mechanic. If they get it right, they get the item you offered up.

I got one of the less rewarding questions, but all of these items can be obtained otherwise, though the berries can be version exclusive depending on which Eon Pokemon is in the game (Durin in Ruby and Watmel in Sapphire). And that's everything. Overall, not that great either, but could be more interesting than the old guy you get in Mauville. Barely.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright everyone, it's :siren: Contest voting time :siren: Pick four Pokemon that will participate in the Master Rank of each category, with their movesets. We also need to nickname our shiny Pelipper and give it a moveset for its category, whatever it may be. There will be some restrictions, of course:

Only Hoenn Pokemon, they're the stars after all.
All moves must be of the category you're entering the Pokemon into.
You must include one combination in your moveset. Here's a list of all the ridiculous options. You're spoilt for choice.
If you're entering for the Beauty Contest, it must know Selfdestruct or Explosion, so Pelipper cannot be entered for Beauty, hilarious though it may be.

There's only four submissions, so first come, first serve!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

...Potions cost 300. How long has it been since you bought one?

Look, you think I'm crazy enough to notice the price of a Potion in the same update? Hell no.

Also, I'm not accepting any of the submissions, cause no one's nicknamed their Pokemon! Come on people, it's the most important part of the whole process! Keep submitting stuff, especially for Pelipper!

Kikas posted:

Like the doctor said to my wife: it's a buoy! :downsrim:

Interesting, I didn't think it would be a lighthouse, since Slateport already has a lighthouse, so why didn't they just use that? Well, whatever.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm, true, my bad, some things just slip my mind until I remember later. I always love nicknames with my submissions, cause I'm a sucker for audience content.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 18: Something Strange in this Mountain Place

It's Safari Zone time, so it's time to use YEEEAARRT! and hopefully get some items while we catch a ridiculous amount of Pokemon.

We'll let you know when your game is over. So, until then, enjoy yourself, please! Off you go on your wild excursion!

Safari Zone

Let's see what we can find. There's a lot of new Pokemon here not found anywhere else and it's gonna be a bit of a hassle to find them. Since we've got YEEEAARRT! upfront, the game acts like we're entering battle with a Pokemon much lower in level.

Like the previous Safari Zone, no Pokemon, 30 Safari Balls, Final Destination. Instead of throwing rocks or bait, now you're moving closer to the Pokemon to (somehow) increase the catch rate and escape rate, or throw a Pokeblock to reduce the escape rate if the Pokemon likes or is indifferent to it.

Like other Safari Zones, the best strategy is to just throw Pokeballs endlessly until you catch it. That's it. Well, there is one other thing you can do with Pokeblocks to make your life so much easier, but in a bit.

Also get used to stuff running from you. Thankfully though, escape is no longer tied to base Speed, it instead starts at an escape factor of 3 and increases or decreases by stages depending on what you do. At the end of the turn, a number between 0 and 99 is generated and if it's less than 5 times the escape factor, then the Pokemon flees. This translates to a starting flee rate of 15% and changing by 5% for each time you increase or decrease the factor by one.

I am burning through these balls right now. So Pokeblock feeders have a range of 5 tiles and attract Pokemon with a nature that prefers that flavor, so a red Pokeblock would be spicy and attract Pokemon with natures that boost Attack. However, it doesn't make them easier to catch unless you use another of the same Pokeblock in battle to decrease its escape factor by 5, though since the factors cannot be negative numbers, it'll be set to 1 if that's the case. Feeders stay active for 100 steps, so you can spin in place to technically make it infinite.

Ah, our first catch. Like previous safaris, Pokemon have catch factor derived from their catch rate, by multiplying the number by (100/1275), rounded down. This gives Wobbuffet the catch factor of 3, as its catch rate is 45. From there, when you throw a Safari Ball, the catch factor is multiplied by (1275/100), rounded down. So this would make Wobbuffet's new catch rate 38, slightly worse than before. However, if we went near Wobbuffet, the catch factor would increase by 3, while the escape factor increases by 4. So, Wobbuffet's new catch rate would become 76 and its chance to flee at the end of each turn 35%. So it's a tricky balance, as going near a Pokemon multiple times has diminishing returns, while the escape factor increase remains constant, so the next one would make its catch rate 102 and its escape chance 55%.

Let's see what else we can find.

Cool

Coooooooool

Ah, there we go. Pikachu starts with a catch factor of 14, so it's much easier to get compared to others. Thankfully only Wobbuffet and two others have a catch rate of 45, so they're the trickiest catches. With a Safari Ball at full health, with the base catch factor, it's an 8% chance each time, so not too bad, I guess?

Pikachu is also the 5% encounter in this area. Oh yeah, the Safari Zone is split into 4 areas that we'll go to, but there's a lot of new Pokemon right from the offset.

I am running low on balls.

poo poo. Girafarig has a catch factor of 4, so it's only slightly easier than the 45 group.

Thankfully we get one last catch off.

Back in we go, still lots to get!

gently caress off with that bollocks. Thank you though.

Area 2 doesn't have much to it, but there's one new Pokemon to obtain.

Come 'ere you! Psyduck is the only Surfing encounter, while fishing only gets us Magikarp or Goldeen with our current rods.

Area 4 is blocked by the muddy slope, so we'll have to come back with the Mach Bike.

Though since we have the Acro Bike, let's go to Area 3. There also aren't that many items in this safari, but what's there is good.

Did you think I forgot about Gloom on Route 121? Well it's a lot more common here and we'll need two for the dex, so this is the best place to catch them. Well, the easier place.

Oh, hello there! Xatu is a 5% encounter and this will save me evolving Natu later.

You're going nowhere! There's some rare Pokemon in this place and I'd rather not have to encounter them more than once.

Very nice, only took a few reloads since she was quite the runner.

Hey there cutie. Did you remember Phanpy was in the Hoenn Dex? A lot of Pokemon in this place aren't used by trainers, so you'll have a fair few gaps in your dex unless you find these guys. This was kinda fixed in Emerald, but not by a huge amount.

Hilarious. One more Pokemon to find in this area.

Ah, right. There's still the 300 step limit in this safari, but you have no way of tracking them, annoyingly.

The next 5% encounter. And there we go, all the Pokemon in Area 3, wasn't so hard when the rare speedy Pokemon don't have a higher chance to run.

Now for the final area.

We're basically done with the Acro Bike for the rest of the game, so we'll be using the Mach Bike for quite a while. Well, it doesn't really make much of a difference later on, as you can probably guess, but this is the better bike to use anyway.

Oh wow! Golduck is a 5% encounter, so to get it immediately is pretty nice.

It's a bit weird how I struggled catching a Girafarig more than most of the rare stuff here. I'm not complaining.

Here's the good poo poo. Is your Grass type without good STAB like always? Well, this isn't that great, but it's SOMETHING.

Oh yeah, Rhyhorn is in the Hoenn Dex too.

Now there are quite a few rare Pokemon in this area, but there's something sneaky you can do with Pokeblocks to make any Pokemon easily yours... as long as you can catch it. I'll go over this bug here.

I didn't bother with this since the strategy revolves around Pokeblocks, so I just threw a million Pokeballs at stuff and hoped for the best. I think it worked out pretty well.

Drat, the only Pokemon we didn't catch in the safari is Dodrio, another 5% encounter, but I'll just evolve Doduo, it's fine.

Holy crap it actually worked! With YEEEAARRT! out front, we boosted Pikachu's chances of holding a Light Ball to 7.5%. I was not expecting to get one, I'll be honest, good job YEEEAARRT!

That's it for the Safari Zone... for now! Mwahaha. Let's move on already.

Mt. Pyre

There's nothing on Route 122, it's kind of a pointless area, but hey, here's spooky mountain.

Have a POKEMON hold that CLEANSE TAG. It will help ward off wild POKEMON.

It doesn't help ward off these beings. The Cleanse Tag reduces encounters by a third. J-Just use a repel.

Magic Coat has 15PP and +4 priority and bounces back most status moves.

Our family has been TRAINERS here since my great-grandmother's time... it is my duty to protect this mountain...

People don't come here often, so I though there'd be rare POKEMON.

I get freaked out every time I see anything move... I shouldn't have come here to train...

(LUKE) Heheh, if I show her how cool I am, she'll fall for me, I know it! I know! I'll cream you and show her how cool I am!

(DEZ) I came here on a dare with my boyfriend. It's really scary, but I'm with my boyfriend. It's okay. I know! I'll get my boyfriend to look cool by beating you!

Uh oh, you gotta survive Freesample!

Good job team.

(LUKE) We'll make it through this dare!

(DEZ) Waaaah! I'm scared! We're lovey-dovey, so we don't care if we lose!

Don't get too excited with Freesample, his items will only change when he gets past level 20.

Not really a combination you see often.

I would like to see your POKEMON when they grow up some more... please, I need to see your POKENAV. POKEMON no longer of this world, POKEMON that are with you now. And the POKEMON that you will meet in the future... they are all to be equally cherished. Please remember that.

This means my training is still not enough... I've got to keep working toward the summit... go, me!

There's a fair few people in this mountain graveyard.

My psychic powers have surely grown several times, but...

I have missed the denizens of crazy places.

I want to see dreadful things... I can't leave... stay... won't you stay with me?

Man Calbrena caught up quick, especially considering this is the best consistent move she's gotten the whole time.

This doll is gonna gently caress you up. With an impressive Attack, a good STAB move in Shadow Ball and then, uh, Return...? Okay, it's pretty simple in what it does since it doesn't have any physical moves to work with, which is what you'd expect from a Pokemon with high Attack. So yeah, you'll have to go with special moves to round things out, with Thunderbolt and Psychic, cause you don't have any other options. Hey didn't I use my Thunderbolt TM? Whoops, but oh well, the fact this Pokemon only learns two notable physical moves is just bad. Thankfully the physical/special split didn't happen yet, so at least it gets Shadow Ball, or it would be hosed. I guess you could go Rain Dance and Thunder, but I don't wanna use those strategies ever again. Oh yeah, this thing is slow and fragile too, so have a good time!

Let's actually get a move for this drat thing already.

The power is ebbing away... Fufufu... I lost the match, but... I have this little ability... Without ever laying my hands on your POKENAV... hiyah! Perhaps the power is from the spirits of POKEMON in fitful sleep here...

Weren't you lost? I had this feeling that a lost TRAINER would be panicked and easy to beat. It's dirty and I won't try it again...

FINALLY. You know how I've mentioned Shadow Ball about 25 times so far in the LP? Well, it's one of the best moves for physical attackers to give them some nice coverage. You have to be real sure that whoever gets this TM deserves it.

Calbrena would be forever handicapped without this move and she won't learn it naturally for another 11 levels. Screw that.

So there weren't any idiots at the top, so I guess we missed where we were supposed to go. On the way back down we get an Incense. They're basically used for breeding to explain why certain Pokemon can have a pre-evolution now and not earlier in the series. They'll get a bit silly. The Lax Incense reduces the opponent's accuracy by 10% and allows Wobbuffet to produce Wynaut eggs.

The ghosts aren't version exclusive, but they can only be found on the higher floors of Mt. Pyre at a 10% rate, so this really is the earliest we can find Duskull. Shuppet is in the same position in Ruby.

The Sea Incense boosts Water moves by... 5%, which is pathetically bad and allows Marill to produce Azurill eggs, which we actually need to do.

Mt. Pyre Exterior

Oh hey there's an outside bit to climb too.

This is a vaguely neat move, Skill Swap has 10PP and swaps the abilities of both the user and the target, only failing with Wonder Guard. The main use is to get rid of Slaking's Truant and clean house. Uh, that's about it.

The only recipient of the Fire Stone, very nice.

This is pretty spooky, but there's some good stuff here.

Finally we can catch this Pokemon as it first appears here, though it's not found in Emerald at all, but shhhhhh.

I smell fools ahead.

If you came earlier, you only would've had to battle the wimpy TEAM MAGMA. But since you arrived now you have to take on us toughies!

You don't know anything! So why are you messing with us?

Well there's only 2 left...

You don't belong to either TEAM, so why would you be here?

"but they wouldn't have you!"

Well, don't think we'll let you join our TEAM AQUA!

We have a great combination going with us members and our leader.

Heh, it doesn't matter! We bought ourselves some time! The BOSS should have snatched what he was after!

Fufufu... now we can bring our ultimate objective to fruition! Okay, TEAM! We're pulling out!

The BLUE ORB and RED ORB must never be separated. They belong together. What are those men trying to do with the two ORBS? Oh, yes. Was it TEAM MAGMA who came and took the BLUE ORB first? Well, in their haste, they left this behind. I couldn't imagine what exactly it could be. I would like you to have it. Perhaps it will be useful in some way.

They must never be apart... I fear something terrible will happen...

The disembodied spirits of POKEMON must find solace here... is it coincidence that you are here...

It happened long, long ago... the world was wracked by a ferocious clash between the POKEMON of the land and the POKEMON of the sea... The POKEMON of the land raised mountains and created continents... The POKEMON of the sea raised huge waves and carved out oceans... their fierce duel raged without end. The world was engulfed in massive infernos and vicious storms. The BLUE ORB and the RED ORB brought an end to the calamity. Light poured from the two ORBS and becalmed the enraged adversaries. The pair, made docile, dove deep into the sea where eventually they disappeared...

It seems like the plot is ramping up, including Emerald exclusive stuff, which is pretty cool. Though I feel like the orbs taken don't match up somehow... oh well, let's catch a weird Pokemon.

Do you want a slower, weaker, more fragile Gardevoir? Congrats, here's a 2% encounter found only in this area that no trainer uses. For a real long time, this Pokemon only learns Confusion, Psywave and a fair smattering of Normal moves, including a pretty early Double Edge for... some reason. Like any special attacker, it can only learn Shock Wave aaaaaaaaand that's it. It'll be late game when it finally gets Psychic through TM and its Attack is way too low to bother with other moves, so hope you get lucky with Hidden Power and don't get knocked out when you're boosting with Calm Mind. There's... nothing else to say. That's always a shame, cause it's cute and I used one in Gen 4. It was alright.

Route 123

We're done with that silly plot stuff, now let's finally explore the rest of Route 123.

I sense it! You and I shall battle again! I can't tell if I'll win, though... Let's see your POKENAV. Being a psychic is about willpower. I thought I wouldn't lose to you...

This secluded area is surprisingly lucrative.

There's only two Castform trainers in the game, each focusing on either Sunny or Rainy form. Poor Snowy form.

Using accessories effectively is the secret behind fashion appeal.

I'm going to ambush a weaker-looking TRAINER next time.

Alright, let's see what's on the rest of this route.

No. Bye.

It always amazes me how many hidden items I've missed over the years.

"Will your POKEMON sleep?"
"I watch them."

The stakes have never been higher.

Hehe, I'm swiping your battling ideas! I think they'll make me better.

MT. PYRE... where the spirits of POKEMON sleep... it must overflow with a power that soothes spirits...

I'm annoyed that grass is only on this side, otherwise I could've caught Calbrena much earlier. It would've been tricky going even longer with Shadow Ball, but it would've been fine.

Yes to great fire, no to healing.

To best even me... your strength is marvellous!

It's weird, important trainers have Oran Berries and Super Potions while these guys have got the proper stuff. I mean, we also faced some rich peeps with Full Restores at the start of the game...

You did your BADGES proud in that match!

We've reached the end, but due to all the ledges around here, the bottom of the route is still to go!

I'm so happy, you can have this! It's a token of our friendship.

If you didn't like the look of Solarbeam, then here's Giga Drain as your best Grass move. I know, it's depressing, isn't it? It's also nice for any special attackers that can learn it, but my team will never be able to learn it or Sludge Bomb, so I'm quite sad about that.

And here I thought these guys were twins.

Get em Calbrena.

The next time, lend your ears to the full tune, will you? You're rock steady. I'd like to write a tune about you.

I gather BIRD POKEMON feathers that scatter during battles. I'm going to make a hat with BIRD POKEMON feathers.

I'm never gonna turn down a free herb. Haha, you just read that as erb, I will never understand that.

Hey now, I'm super happy with Ranmaru, he's a good boy.

I would like to face you again. Is that okay with you? We all have psychic powers. We've just forgotten how to use them.

Contribute to your allowance? Wasn't the prize money enough?

Ahh, another area crossed off the list as fully explored, always a good feeling after so long.

Might as well get some more free berries. The Nomel Berry is a Fire/Ground type that- wait, it just does nothing. And with that terrible joke out of the way, next time, we'll be going to some hideouts and beating up some more terrible jokes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, we've got our 5 contest stars, since I really liked Explopyro's idea for a Cute Pelipper, it decided the other four categories. We'll also have Pigger the Spoink by Level Seven, Sunny the Vigoroth by Haifisch, Gali the Solrock by dungeon cousin and Hariyama by Jade Rider, since Aggron will get enough spotlight on our team.

All that's left is to vote on Pelipper's nickname, since we only had two submissions. If I did this vote again, I'd do everything to do with Pelipper first and then have the final four submissions, so my bad everyone, this was a bit too cluttered. Also a nickname for your Hariyama please, Jade Rider. Cheers everyone! Guess I should go learn the contest meta...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 27, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Agreed, I hope my information is accurate, cause I love diving into the small intricacies of game mechanics, it's just neat. But 99% of the time, I'm just going off what other people have said and going with it as fact, since I'm sure as hell not gonna find out otherwise. Like shortly after I finished my Crystal LP, Bulbapedia updated their happiness page to include loads of details I had no idea about, like Pokemon gaining more happiness if they level up in the same route they're caught in. I've also learned a lot from watching speedruns, as well as RNG breakdowns on stuff like soft resets and slot machine manipulation. So any concrete info I've missed, or are wrong about is always super helpful.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Is this all correct? *shrugs wildly* I just make the LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There's no spoiler policy, so talk about whatever, I know I'm coy about stuff, but it's mainly for when it goes on the archive and people are reading it in bulk. Feel free to talk about whatever whenever.

And it's good to go over this, cause I would've copied it verbatim from Bulbapedia without ever knowing it was wrong. It's really good to know that Nature is the only real factor for Pokeblock liking. Not that it matters since all the contesters have got maxed stats and feel anyway, but that's not a surprise.

Oh yeah, Pelipper's nickname is cutebirb, with 3 votes. Now to actually record the drat thing.

• Locked thread