Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As is the custom, here is the place for Americans to whine about NBC, as we're one of the few countries who do not have a large state broadcaster outbidding private commercial networks for this event in the public's interest. That means constant commercials and having to listen to 600 hours of Bugler's Dream; as well John Williams's themes for the 1984/1996 Olympics, which NBC can't stop using because they sound like Star Wars and remind us of those times when the Olympics were held in America (and terrified the poo poo out of everyone).

In case you forgot, since NBC got absorbed by the very same cable companies that are struggling to keep pay TV relevant, they've since established their own cable sports network ala ESPN and will be putting most of the overflow and niche sports over there. Which at least keeps them off CNBC and MSNBC as much as it used to be. That gives them more time to dedicate to Donald Trump, which probably produces more ratings than the Olympics do these days.

The streaming service is much better than it was when it debuted ten years ago in Beijing, but as much of the content is broadcast on cable networks the entire service requires a login with a cable/satellite partner whose buying their basic cable channels. So if you're one of those so-called millennials with your weird 'free-to-air terrestrial signals' breaking the tradition of paying for TV channels, you get Not Bob Costas and prepackaged highlights in primetime, and nothing else.

As the actual live events are largely happening at 3 in the morning in the west coast, I didn't bother buying a VPN to watch some other country's streams this year. But I do have to say as someone who has a participating cable login that the site telling you exactly what streaming events are up when is worse than it was even in 2008. I can only look day by day at a list of either all events or one event at a time. There is no programming grid for streams, just for TV broadcasts. It's terribly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
We're stuck watching NBC's programing at work because of the servers we use, but on the bright side we get American Netflix.

McStabby fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 9, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
no VPN purchase required: I installed setupVPN in chrome, set it to canada, and enjoyed watching CBC broadcasts last night. feels pretty good??

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I don't understand why I can't just throw 20 bucks at someone and get an ondemand stream of all the events. They all get recorded, ostensibly, and there's got to be some sort of commentary (or pay some clown to do it).

Frustrating that the only time they do most of these sports you can't even watch em. I'll even let you poo poo all over Martin Luther King's memory to try to sell trucks in the downtime between bobsled runs.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Getting Bode Miller and Johnny Mosley to provide commentary for the skiing events was a pretty rad move on NBC's part.

Giving skiing like 10 minutes of coverage sprinkled throughout an hour of figure skating was not.

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

Minrad posted:

no VPN purchase required: I installed setupVPN in chrome, set it to canada, and enjoyed watching CBC broadcasts last night. feels pretty good??

Thanks for this.

I finally stopped bitching and took the three seconds to install the above.

Now watching live curling on my big screen with chromecast.

The Canadian announcers are so soothing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is this the thread for the NBC broadcast of the opening ceremony? The intro montage showed The Troops and how Korea is scary.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is this the thread for the NBC broadcast of the opening ceremony? The intro montage showed The Troops and how Korea is scary.

Yeah I think this is the thread. I like how the one skier's sob story was "I wasn't the best, but now I am!"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Mike Pence brought Otto Warmbier's dad. Cool.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

They're broadcasting the opening ceremony 14 hours after it already happened and they still can't just show the loving ceremony, I don't care about these interviews, nbc why

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Mike Pence brought Otto Warmbier's dad. Cool.

Lots of good memories for him here.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

NBC broadcast it live with no commentary or cuts this morning, the vod for taht might still exist somewhere on their site. namaste to anyone who has to deal with NBC commentary, even CBC's drove me to go back to NBC's zero commentary stream lol

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
What's it going to take for one of the other networks to put together a winning bid, short of their news department finding the IOC president on the piss tape?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
the IOC is horribly corrupt and the olympics themselves are devastating to the local community so having the broadcast be an unbearable hell seems fitting, tbqh

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I was excited to watch on demand sports via Xfinity until nope, can't fast forward

what the gently caress Comcast/nbc

I don't think I'll ever get as good of coverage as the BBC's a few years ago just using a browser plugin . its so stupid to pay for this poo poo and I'm gonna cancel this stupid cable package

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
luv living in Germany and watching everything for free on public tv and streams, without commercials.

For the comedy option you can also watch it for free on Eurosport, who do show commercials, and have worse production values.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It's pretty rad paying for a stream that's 1/3 commercials.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Internet Wizard posted:

It's pretty rad paying for a stream that's 1/3 commercials.

Cast the Canadian stream spell.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

I love you, CBC. I love you, CBET.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I hate NBC's coverage so much. If there aren't any Americans competing they do not give a gently caress.

And it's even worse with the Olympics on the other side of the planet because it's impossible to find archives of events that aren't DA GOLD ZONE which cuts out a ton of content.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
maybe sometime by the time we're old the ioc will deem it worthy to just pump the world feeds out through a live stream / vod platform and you can select a commentary track to overlay like how they do with dotatv or whatever

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smythe posted:

maybe sometime by the time we're old the ioc will deem it worthy to just pump the world feeds out through a live stream / vod platform and you can select a commentary track to overlay like how they do with dotatv or whatever

is dotatv a sports channel?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

oliwan posted:

is dotatv a sports channel?

its an art channel

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Hi NBC I want to watch the Biathalon from this morning but you redirect everything

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/biathlon-womens-sprint

gently caress off, I wanna watch people ski and shoot.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I found an archive of the ski jump, slopestyle and luge from this morning so that's good.

NBC has cut out something like half the luge competitors though and only put in the ones with good ~*storylines*~ so that's bad.

gently caress you NBC I wanna see people sled :mad:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Virigoth posted:

Cast the Canadian stream spell.

I've been doing that for a lot of stuff but the Canadian streams don't have Johnny Mosley being super excited about life.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Internet Wizard posted:

I've been doing that for a lot of stuff but the Canadian streams don't have Johnny Mosley being super excited about life.

I'll give you that. He was pretty excited.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

axeil posted:

I found an archive of the ski jump, slopestyle and luge from this morning so that's good.

NBC has cut out something like half the luge competitors though and only put in the ones with good ~*storylines*~ so that's bad.

gently caress you NBC I wanna see people sled :mad:

Get a VPN as directed and click this poo poo right here
https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/sport=lg/full-schedule.html?intcmp=sr-overview

All the luge. All of it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
nbc is real bad op

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

My buddy has the wav files for those john williams themes. He got them from his friend who works in sports production

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Smythe posted:

I swear I had access to this 2 years ago for Rio via nbc, but now im thinking it was a live feed only with no vod which is effectively worthless. I can't even do a replay of the Americans curling win right now

Anyone setup their Kodi to help with this? It's insane I have the full nbc sports package and can't see anything on replay. Two years ago it was just the great ioc feed and that's gone

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting messages from my wife last night discussing her desire to murder the NBC commentary team and for all the human interest stories was pretty funny. I remember last time for Rio just getting a one month VPN and using BBC mostly. Luckily they had a commentary free and not switching away every five seconds version up this morning.

The NBC Roku and iOS app isn’t horrible...if you look at it as a way to watch things after that occur and make no attempt to pursue live stuff with anything more then random chance.

Once good things are the ads are part of the video file so you can just FF them.

Seriously though what is the best VPN country CBC or BBC?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

im gonna present this in gif format because it is literally that easy to setup and you have no excuse to keep watching NBC

setupvpn: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/setupvpn-lifetime-free-vp/oofgbpoabipfcfjapgnbbjjaenockbdp?hl=en-US

cbc's olympics schedule: https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/

https://i.imgur.com/ID1dlMd.mp4

i left out account creation but it's literally just punch in email then punch in the password they email you.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I bought sling for one month just for the olympics, and then it turns out they only have NBC and NBC sports, which is only like half of what they are broadcasting. Luckily, it still lets me use the NBC app, but it is super buggy on AppleTV. I bumped the remote and I went from halfway through a biathlon event to the very beginning, with no way to fast forward.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Misogynice Job! posted:

My buddy has the wav files for those john williams themes. He got them from his friend who works in sports production

CBC theme FTW:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL00C7B57EA3D445AE

Though they started reorchestrating it in 2004, and as of 2018 they've managed to suck ALL the oomph out of it... -_-

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

I bought sling for one month just for the olympics, and then it turns out they only have NBC and NBC sports, which is only like half of what they are broadcasting. Luckily, it still lets me use the NBC app, but it is super buggy on AppleTV. I bumped the remote and I went from halfway through a biathlon event to the very beginning, with no way to fast forward.

i tried slingtv and it is a unbelievable piece of junk. i used a slingbox for years back in the day with an ir blaster on my parents cable box too so i really understand the lovely set top box experience. youtube tv has the same offerings as sling and is probably also terrible but idk if anything can be as bad. i gave up on those linear replacement services and just use my rabbit ears and the usual complement of ott services.

derail, soz.

anyways u can use a vpn and cbc or bbc or w/e i guess that counts as files since ur not paying a license for it :filez: ? ?? ?? criminals itt. smdh

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Smythe posted:

i tried slingtv and it is a unbelievable piece of junk. i used a slingbox for years back in the day with an ir blaster on my parents cable box too so i really understand the lovely set top box experience. youtube tv has the same offerings as sling and is probably also terrible but idk if anything can be as bad. i gave up on those linear replacement services and just use my rabbit ears and the usual complement of ott services.

derail, soz.

anyways u can use a vpn and cbc or bbc or w/e i guess that counts as files since ur not paying a license for it :filez: ? ?? ?? criminals itt. smdh

Sling on the roku and Amazon tv are pretty good but that's, like, just my opinion man :shrug:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AsInHowe posted:

I love you, CBC. I love you, CBET.

I grew up in one of the red spots on the map, we got CBC on cable because we could theoretically get it over the air with a big antenna

the cable company started shutting off CBC during the olympics, in I think 2002

gently caress NBC and gently caress cable

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

NBC is broadcasting some snowboarding event on a 20 minute delay, so as the final round was on TV, people are getting tweets spoiling the winner

Bang up job, NBC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

shyduck posted:

NBC is broadcasting some snowboarding event on a 20 minute delay, so as the final round was on TV, people are getting tweets spoiling the winner

Bang up job, NBC

my listings say it was supposed to be live on nbcsn

the men's downhill was postponed and i guess they needed something else to fill time

whatever, continue the narrative

• Locked thread