Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a debate happened without putin and sobchak threw water on some nationalist goon

https://www.rt.com/politics/420078-presidential-debate-zhirinovsky-sobchak/

grudinin got mad and walked out, cementing his status as best candidate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy0CM-093tk&t=2370s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

a debate happened without putin and sobchak threw water on some nationalist goon

https://www.rt.com/politics/420078-presidential-debate-zhirinovsky-sobchak/

grudinin got mad and walked out, cementing his status as best candidate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy0CM-093tk&t=2370s

man, i had forgotton what a piece of poo poo zhirinovskii is. his opening statement was him complaining about the time that they chose to film the debate at, because it was too late and he would have to return late and might be assassinated from being out at 1 am.

also, goddamn is sobchak neoliberal. she is openly calling for more privatization to remove government inefficiencies

i'm surprised you didn't go for Suraikin, the candidate pushing for "10 stalinist blows against capitalism" (the guy with the kalashnikov tie pin)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

GoluboiOgon posted:

man, i had forgotton what a piece of poo poo zhirinovskii is. his opening statement was him complaining about the time that they chose to film the debate at, because it was too late and he would have to return late and might be assassinated from being out at 1 am.

also, goddamn is sobchak neoliberal. she is openly calling for more privatization to remove government inefficiencies

i'm surprised you didn't go for Suraikin, the candidate pushing for "10 stalinist blows against capitalism" (the guy with the kalashnikov tie pin)

i'm quietly pulling for communists of russia and kprf to merge after zyuganov leaves the first secretary post

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the fact that she hasn't been found dead in an alley is the biggest evidence of her corruption

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
russia what is you doing baby

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If you're taking the her run is a Kremlin plan angle her being neoliberal makes perfect sense, Russians hate anything that reminds them of the 90s situation.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

aphid_licker posted:

If you're taking the her run is a Kremlin plan angle her being neoliberal makes perfect sense, Russians hate anything that reminds them of the 90s situation.

She's been touring American academia and policy wonk gigs. They love neoliberal economics, especially when they are promoted by a rich woman in a pantsuit. I think this is an attempt to peel western support from Navalny.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GoluboiOgon posted:

She's been touring American academia and policy wonk gigs. They love neoliberal economics, especially when they are promoted by a rich woman in a pantsuit. I think this is an attempt to peel western support from Navalny.
loving lollll

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

GoluboiOgon posted:

Could also be to give the perception that she cares more about the US than she does about Russia.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I thought the Kremlin fake candidate was Zhirinovski since his gimmick always was to propose something psychotic like retaking Constantinople for the Orthodoxes so Putin looks like a moderate sane nationalist

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Putin's playing 4D Tetris by not actually secretly backing anybody, everyone just sucks major rear end

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

I thought the Kremlin fake candidate was Zhirinovski since his gimmick always was to propose something psychotic like retaking Constantinople for the Orthodoxes so Putin looks like a moderate sane nationalist

putin is a sane moderate nationalist in the context of russia.

https://www.salon.com/2017/04/02/dictator-vs-democrat-not-quite-russian-opposition-leader-alexey-navalny-is-no-progressive-hero/

quote:

Navalny has been a co-organizer of the “Russian March” — an annual parade that uses slogans like “Russia for the Russians” and “Stop feeding the Caucasus”. He was expelled from one of the country’s liberal parties (Yabloko) for essentially damaging their brand. One of his former colleagues in that party has claimed that Navalny repeatedly used racial slurs.

In a bizarre video, Navalny appeared to compare people from the Caucasus to “cockroaches” that need to be exterminated. While cockroaches can be killed with a slipper, he says, for humans he “recommends a pistol.” Navalny supporters claim it’s all just a joke.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
From what I can glean from Navalny's politics, he basically is an ethno-nationalist who doesn't like the Russian system because it's a multi-national federation and not a proper European-style nation-state where there is a relationship between the state and the ethnos.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol holy poo poo

I always assumed he was a technocratic liberal or something. Turns out he's a piece of poo poo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there was a Daily Show correspondent bit where Jason Jones went to russia during the sochi olympics, and he talked to a guy who's perceived as one of the people in the country to the left of putin, or at least is perceived that way. he was a big fan of guns. i bring that up because i think the guy he talked to was Navalny

the gist of that segment was that russian politics is a wet dream for the american right

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

She's over 30 but hasn't turned into a babushka yet?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Frijolero posted:

Putin's playing 4D Tetris by not actually secretly backing anybody, everyone just sucks major rear end

Getting the russian population to a spot where they'd consider voting for someone more pleasant that Putin is a multidecade social engineering project. I've been following the establishment responses to Russia's tentative #metoo movement on meduza.io/en and the poo poo you can apparently say is just INSANE. Some frog-looking motherfucker just straight went oi man if you can't molest all these journalist ladies I'll take some off you lmao. They have a really grim life outlook / overton window.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero posted:

Lol holy poo poo

I always assumed he was a technocratic liberal or something. Turns out he's a piece of poo poo.
The catch is that he can be a technocratic liberal who wants to privatize everything and an ethno-nationalist.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Getting the russian population to a spot where they'd consider voting for someone more pleasant that Putin is a multidecade social engineering project. I've been following the establishment responses to Russia's tentative #metoo movement on meduza.io/en and the poo poo you can apparently say is just INSANE. Some frog-looking motherfucker just straight went oi man if you can't molest all these journalist ladies I'll take some off you lmao. They have a really grim life outlook / overton window.
i'm not surprised that establishment figures are against this. the duma legalized beating your wife, after all

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
so, ksenya sobchak won a grand total of 1.65% of the vote, as compared to vladimir putin's 76%.

she still managed to beat the yabloka party candidate (who got 1% of the vote), a much older liberal party. so i guess being a rich heiress will get you that far.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
that Nukemap link should be posted ontop of every page itt btw

you know the one that tells you whether or not your city is likely to get hit

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
has this person made a music video ?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

etalian posted:

She's over 30 but hasn't turned into a babushka yet?

this was settled back in LF ffs

the secret to eternal hotness is "don't be poor" and its true internationally

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

айм уид хэр! :ussr::ussr::ussr:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Congratulations to Comrade Putin for winning the People's Election

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so when putin's second six-year term is up, he's going to go back to being the prime minister with all the power while medvedev returns to being the figurehead president, right?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I've read several estimates by CIA analysts that say Jeff Bezos ain't even close to being the richest man alive. Sure he's worth like 90 billion or whatever. The richest man alive is Vladimir Putin. He might actually be the world's first and only trillionaire. Why the gently caress would he want to do anything after 2024? He could buy all of Siberia and just ride a loving bear around or whatever he gets off to.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I've read several estimates by CIA analysts that say Jeff Bezos ain't even close to being the richest man alive. Sure he's worth like 90 billion or whatever. The richest man alive is Vladimir Putin. He might actually be the world's first and only trillionaire. Why the gently caress would he want to do anything after 2024? He could buy all of Siberia and just ride a loving bear around or whatever he gets off to.
that would make sense because all the privately wealthy people work for political power in Russia, and not the other way around in most countries. but i don't think putin is interested in riding off into the sunset with money with his ill-gotten gains. as a wise man once said, "it's good to be the king"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

From what I can glean from Navalny's politics, he basically is an ethno-nationalist who doesn't like the Russian system because it's a multi-national federation and not a proper European-style nation-state where there is a relationship between the state and the ethnos.

navalny is putinism minus the corruption and build a wall to stop the dirty browns coming in from former soviet central asia

also:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

if putin loses power there's very good chance someone knocks him off

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

aphid_licker posted:

the kremlin basically controls every single opposition party to some degree and they literally engineer it so every faction in the country (the communists,liberals,fascists) has someone they could vote for but they also make sure that said someone is some mixture of incompetent/annoying/stupid/insane that Putin is infinitely preferable, it's kinda like us reality tv show like survivor or apprentice where everything gets scripted and omarosa gets dragged out to be the one everyone hates

navalyn actually started out as one of the "reality show actors" that is russian electoral politics, but then he stumbled on some genuinely appealing platforms like a muslim ban and increased public spending and attacking putinist era corruption so ofc he can't be allowed to run because while he prob won't win if he loses 55-45 vs Putin that makes putin look weak and the perception of weakness translates into actual politically weakness in a big hurry in russia

Typo has issued a correction as of 01:14 on Mar 22, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

"feeding the Caucasian" btw means russian transfer payments or what de facto amount to bribes paid out to chechen strongmen like Ramzan Kadyrov to keep the region quiet

I understand the resentment because even if you take out the racial component you still get the "Chechnya exports dead russian conscripts while we pay them tribute" which is major cuckage to the avg russian, toss some anti-brown racism on top of that and boom you got really appealing platform

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Imagine if someone in the US proposed cutting military spending in half and giving actual wages to people instead lmao. The Russian ethnonationalist is more left wing than the US Dems

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I've read several estimates by CIA analysts

:thunk:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Typo posted:

"feeding the Caucasian" btw means russian transfer payments or what de facto amount to bribes paid out to chechen strongmen like Ramzan Kadyrov to keep the region quiet

I understand the resentment because even if you take out the racial component you still get the "Chechnya exports dead russian conscripts while we pay them tribute" which is major cuckage to the avg russian, toss some anti-brown racism on top of that and boom you got really appealing platform

Chechens on average look pretty darn white to me, or is it more by comparison to the average Russian they don't?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Grape posted:

Chechens on average look pretty darn white to me, or is it more by comparison to the average Russian they don't?
they are literally caucasian, but they're also muslims and Mother Russia can't have any more of that

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol

this is some stupid rear end poo poo

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/jakebackpack/status/976495809494749185

good rear end post

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Willie Tomg posted:

this was settled back in LF ffs

the secret to eternal hotness is "don't be poor" and its true internationally

you misspelled moisturize, hon :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the "putin is the richest man on earth" line is the dumbest poo poo imaginable

• Locked thread