Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
This show is somehow still watchable despite being literal CIA propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Family Court and Franny subplot goes away......show improves drastically.

Huh.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't that General Yakushin guy hosed now for attacking his own people

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah, I mean, obviously $300 million is a lot of money, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how he gets out of this one alive, or at the very least a free man. I think we're just supposed to infer that he's at his breaking point and the fact that he has all this money set aside for him and his family in USD suggests that he wasn't optimistic about his future in Russia to begin with.

Gonz posted:

Family Court and Franny subplot goes away......show improves drastically.

Huh.

Exponentially. I was throwing some pretty heavy shade toward the show for a few weeks there but this was one of those amazing episodes that reminds me why I still watch.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
holy poo poo, what a drat good episode.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Awesome but wish this sort of episode had happened a little bit earlier in the season. At least it should be a good season finale though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The new VP had better be Jeff Bridges.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Well this is fun! Pretty amazing episode. Only I already thought episode 10 was gonna be the finale, so I figured 11 was gonna be the finale. So is this 12 or 13 episodes? :v:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Good episode that shows why Homeland has always been worth sticking with through some pretty big troughs. I just wish it was easier to actually root for....someone. I just don't really care for any of the factions, and I don't think that's deliberate. I don't understand why Carrie and Saul are so desperate to help a president they hated at the start of the season. As mentioned, I think the U-turns made in the writing to try and keep up with the real world are pretty evident.

My instinct has me rooting for Oleg TBH.......

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Junkenstein posted:

Good episode that shows why Homeland has always been worth sticking with through some pretty big troughs. I just wish it was easier to actually root for....someone. I just don't really care for any of the factions, and I don't think that's deliberate. I don't understand why Carrie and Saul are so desperate to help a president they hated at the start of the season. As mentioned, I think the U-turns made in the writing to try and keep up with the real world are pretty evident.

My instinct has me rooting for Oleg TBH.......

I'm rooting for the Russians considering this show is literal CIA propaganda (producers work with them, etc).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't see how. All the people that work for the CIA/FBI/NSA get chewed up and spit out. One of the characters complained about how Dante told her how a crazy blonde lady apparently droned hundreds of innocent people in Afghanistan and then the CIA promoted her.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't see how. All the people that work for the CIA/FBI/NSA get chewed up and spit out. One of the characters complained about how Dante told her how a crazy blonde lady apparently droned hundreds of innocent people in Afghanistan and then the CIA promoted her.

The core message of this show is indisputably CIA = good, doofus.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Except for all the parts that show how they suck

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Are you retarded?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Dar Adal just led a coup against the American government. It's definitely a mixed bag.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Dar Adal just led a coup against the American government. It's definitely a mixed bag.

I mean a significant portion of the public would probably be supportive of a CIA-led coup at this point in time.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Now that was a solid episode. Hilarious how quickly the quality picked up once Franny went back to her home planet.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Homeland would be really good if it just stuck to the cool CIA stuff. That's what last episode was and it was really good. Carrie not having a kid and not dealing with her sister and other crap. Just hire her back to the CIA next season and make it a good version of 24.

With that said, I fully expect them to start next season with Carrie carrying Dante's child and working as a professor at a community college.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Great episode of spycraft and political intrigue.

Niwrad posted:

Homeland would be really good if it just stuck to the cool CIA stuff. That's what last episode was and it was really good. Carrie not having a kid and not dealing with her sister and other crap. Just hire her back to the CIA next season and make it a good version of 24.

With that said, I fully expect them to start next season with Carrie carrying Dante's child and working as a professor at a community college.

Blindspot is closer to 24 than Homeland, if that's the type of show you want.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

Blindspot is closer to 24 than Homeland, if that's the type of show you want.

Quantico is coming back so there'll be that....

Does anyone else watch Designated Survivor? They're basically running the same plot lines this season right down to the 25th Amendment poo poo.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
This finale sucked rear end

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Good Will Hrunting posted:

This finale sucked rear end

The writers of this show don't know what they've been doing since season 5

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which is the season where Senator Tracy Letts is all like "What the loving gently caress? loving gently caress gently caress gently caress" because that one owns.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Next season is just Carrie’s subconscious being explored by Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Lopez.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I thought that was a great finale.

Wondering which direction they will go for the final season though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I thought that finale was one of the best episodes they've ever done. Really powerful stuff.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It was alright. Liked the Russia stuff but never got into any of the President crap. Just felt like they didn't know how to portray the character. She went from fascist authoritarian to sympathetic patriot awfully quick.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Was anyone else screaming "TAKE OFF THE WIG!" at their tv?
Just me? Ok then.

It's gonna take a lot of electroshock therapy to get Carrie Warmbier back on track.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Final scene next season is Carrie's sister and daughter saying goodbye to her forever as she gets locked in a padded room

Calling it now

That or Carrie gets enough of her wits back to realize how bad off she is and kill herself

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Final season will be about a new informant with an extensive knowledge of US intelligence operations sending intel back to the Kremlin and successfully conducting numerous large scale terror ops on US soil. Meanwhile, Saul is elected president and makes finding the mole and their terror cells his first priority. The finale is Saul figuring out it's Carrie, who's been acting as Saul's national security advisor while clandestinely conducting Russian black ops with her team of soviet supersoldiers. She has become impervious to any meds and twice as dangerous. Now Saul has to decide whether or not to launch a nuke at the city which she and her army of mercenaries have taken over.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Carrie's brain gets hooked up to the Dead Hand system and Saul has to talk her down using cunning logic traps.

Carrie snaps out of it when Franny shows up and shoots her in the kneecap.

Origami Dali posted:

Meanwhile, Saul is elected president and makes finding the mole and their terror cells his first priority.

President Saul's VP is Wallace Shawn.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 30, 2018

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Simone Martin and President Keene have competing book tours - WHO WILL TOP THE NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER LIST?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm okay with Carrie becoming Brody 2.0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Simone Martin and President Keene have competing book tours - WHO WILL TOP THE NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER LIST?

Now I need to see Keane signing copies of her book in the patio furniture section of a CostCo in Des Moines, Iowa.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So the story arc of the Alex Jones guy ended up being a wet fart

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I guess that was an adequate finale. I couldn't help but laugh a bit at Brain-fried Carrie in the last scene, but maybe that's what's to be expected from a bi-polar person off their meds stuck in a Russian prison for 3 months so maybe I should be a bit more sympathetic.

I'm glad Keane resigned (even though that decision and her monologue felt very obviously like the writers getting up on a soapbox). Her character was tough to watch week-in and week-out, and any continuation of her presidency would have likely involved either a rehash of the Vindictive President plotline, or a contrived, out-of-character mea culpa. This was probably the best way to sidestep those outcomes.

JaySB posted:

That would be pretty amazing.

Mu Zeta posted:

So the story arc of the Alex Jones guy ended up being a wet fart

It killed a lot of time, but I mean it did also segue kinda nicely into Yevegny and his network.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 1, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vernacular posted:

I'm glad Keane resigned (even though that decision and her monologue felt very obviously like the writers getting up on a soapbox).

Oh yeah, absolutely. I loved it though, and there's enough character stuff woven through it that I ended up enjoying it on that level too.I found it quite moving tbh.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JaySB posted:

Yeah that would be so good for the final season. Not sure they will do it though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JaySB posted:

Quantico is coming back so there'll be that....

Does anyone else watch Designated Survivor? They're basically running the same plot lines this season right down to the 25th Amendment poo poo.

I thought that got canceled...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Final scene is Carrie wearing a bomb vest in the same bunker as the end of season one and a Brodie hallucination sets off the bomb finally fulfilling his mission. :911:

• Locked thread