Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
game in moderation, or find urself in perpetual masturbation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Plenty of sexy milf night elves on wow

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FZNPxmTB4o

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

everytime you want to play a video game, say "no". and then do something else. like pushups.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

everytime you want to play a video game, say "no". and then do something else. like pushups.

If I wanted to exercise I'd play wii fit 🙄

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Haven't tried to give it up, simply because 99% of most games these days are so goddamn stupid that I only play maybe one a year at this point.

I actually finished a game the other day, the first time I've finished a game in something like a decade.

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
^bro, I too have completed Deep Space Waifu and was much proud

mr_gay_sex_fan fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 12, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

Also I'm getting dumber and modern games are getting too complicated for my early 30s rear end. Everything seems to require so much cognitive investment. I have not managed to beat XCOM 2 on normal difficulty after a 100 hours.

But just the same, I play a lot, and want to move on. Has anybody here successfully quit gaming?
I'm in my early 30s and have the opposite problem. Games are too easy and simple. You're stuck in a walled garden built by some guys that put no effort into building something with any mental depth.

There are some cool exceptions, but most games that would be exceptions tend to devolve into a million pieces of specialized knowledge or spreadsheets. Neither one of those is fun. Skill based games tend to lose their luster once you hit severe diminishing returns on time invested vs mastery gained, but even those are a super rare breed of game now.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 12, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Khorne posted:

I'm in my early 30s and have the opposite problem. Games are too easy and simple. You're stuck in a walled garden that put no effort into building something with any mental depth.

A good game that requires thought and doesn't just have straight progression and map markers pointing out exactly what to do is divinity original sin

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If you're having trouble beating XCOM 2 try using more snipers

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

1redflag posted:

Dude, if $50 a week is blowing your budget all I can do is lol

E. VVVV drat dude, that's either a great price or you smoke some lovely weed

$200 a month is a pretty good chunk of change, man.

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

I'm in my early 30s and have the opposite problem. Games are too easy and simple. You're stuck in a walled garden built by some guys that put no effort into building something with any mental depth.

There are some cool exceptions, but most games that would be exceptions tend to devolve into a million pieces of specialized knowledge or spreadsheets. Neither one of those is fun. Skill based games tend to lose their luster once you hit severe diminishing returns on time invested vs mastery gained, but even those are a super rare breed of game now.

It was actually Starcraft 2 (very skill based) that drew me into modern gaming -- I discovered it in late 2010 and must have put 1.5k hours into it over the years, but you're right, I've slowly given it up. It's quite possible that my engagement with Starcraft 2 might just be the height of gaming for me.

Recently started playing pubg.

In fact, that's all I did today: Play pubg.

I'm so alone

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Illegal state and a quarter oz is 25 bucks :shrug:

Do you live in sunnyvale? Those are stupidly and almost unbelievably cheap prices for weed.

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
me getting hilariously outsmarted in pubg

(i'm the other guy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQXFp0lhjY

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I actually finished a game the other day, the first time I've finished a game in something like a decade.

I haven't finished a game aside from GTA san andreas since I was a kid, and I didn't finish that until close to 700 hours played. I'd always give up during the flight training or the RC plane missions and just blow things up until I got bored enough to start a new guy.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

It was actually Starcraft 2 (very skill based) that drew me into modern gaming -- I discovered it in late 2010 and must have put 1.5k hours into it over the years, but you're right, I've slowly given it up. It's quite possible that my engagement with Starcraft 2 might just be the height of gaming for me.

I'm so alone
SC2 is cool and good. Definitely a high skill ceiling there.

I haven't had time to start pubg, but I liked h1z1. It was the most fun I had playing video games in a long, long time even if the netcode and bugs made no drat sense. It honestly reminded me of playing counter-strike for the first time in the early '00s.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
well, at least you're not into anime I guess

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Khorne posted:

SC2 is cool and good. Definitely a high skill ceiling there.

I wish I could like SC2, but it has the problem a lot of games that old have - most people who are still playing it now tend to be really good and have been playing for years. Several years ago I could at least get to platinum league but I tried last year and felt lucky to even get to silver.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
All of my consoles have become expensive netflix streaming boxes

Woden
May 6, 2006
I can't remember the last game I finished, maybe the first of the new Shadowruns? lovely characters just kill RPGs for me, like I don't want to go on your quest to find out how your brother died Pillars of Eternity dude, and I know I'll have to do that to get the best ending or w/e so I just stop playing.

Down to 1-2 hours a week of online Street Fighter a week, gotta be in the mood for it though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Do you live in sunnyvale? Those are stupidly and almost unbelievably cheap prices for weed.

The south. Green with seeds but not brick

E: loud is 10/gram tho

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 12, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

1redflag posted:

Dude, if $50 a week is blowing your budget all I can do is lol

E. VVVV drat dude, that's either a great price or you smoke some lovely weed

The lovely Mexican brick is 70/oz

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

I'm so alone

Hey man I want to get back into StarCraft 2, but haven't played since WoL so am lost as for the 1v1 stuff that goes on. Maybe instead of quitting gaming you just need to teach me how to play StarCraft ladder again

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I also quit video games a couple years ago. It's good, frees up time for things that matter more.

I wasted way too much of my life on video games. And even I'm not close to the MMO / Moba / CS guys with entire years worth of playtime. Like gently caress, that's not a hobby, that's a prison sentence.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I mostly play stuff in VR and Nintendo games now.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I taunt the homeless and power wash stop signs in my spare time op. You could say real life is like a video game.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
It took a few hundred hours but I finally have a good gyro steering steam controller config for assetto corsa. I can drive sports cars I'll never be able to afford on laser scanned Italian racetracks I'll never visit on a budget!

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I can only handle really simple games like breath of the wild and shadow of the colossus everything else just loses me almost immediately

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Kuato posted:

My hands hurt all the time from gaming and jerking it. I want to quit both but literally can’t stop touching myself and playing video games!

Bayonetta has a "one handed mode" so I think you can combine activities and be more efficient!

Khorne posted:

My friend laments that games like Fallout and Skyrim don't have character sheets where you assign points and stuff anymore. He basically wants them to be digital D&D sheets and I'm like "but nobody wants to stare at a character sheet every level and wonder if they're gonna gimp their character because they dunno how things interact or work" (hi Dark Souls)

Skypie fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 12, 2018

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Skypie posted:

Bayonetta has a "one handed mode" so I think you can combine activities and be more efficient!

My friend laments that games like Fallout and Skyrim don't have character sheets where you assign points and stuff anymore. He basically wants them to be digital D&D sheets and I'm like "but nobody wants to stare at a character sheet every level and wonder if they're gonna gimp their character because they dunno how things interact or work" (hi Dark Souls)

Some people actually like using their brains to find out how things work instead of just being told it.. dingus!

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Perhaps you could start playing visual novels instead OP?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Own your addiction, slap a Gamer Life sticker on your car and be done with it.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

lol but seriously I posted:

did u go to AA for weed?

no but i can see how itd come across like that. what i meant is being stoned is unpleasant for me, but every once in a while i trick myself into thinking its fun and waste some money and time on being stoned - analogous to the other persons hearthstone experience. additionally, a skill i learned in AA is good for not tricking yourself into believing something unfun will be fun.

Ocean Book fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 12, 2018

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I play video games for a couple of hours a night, but not much more than that. It's nice and fun, and I can use GTA online to decompress and kill poo poo talking teenagers. I'm still a healthy active adult male too.

I plan on playing a lot more as I get older. When I'm 80, I'm gonna be playing some hyper-immersive space sim in VR, and griefing poo poo head kids who try and gank lower level players. I fly in, wreck their poo poo and fly off cackling like a crazed old man. Retirement is gonna loving rule.

Also, if you have kids who play video games, you can find common ground with them and actually have real conversations instead of one word replies to all of your questions.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Rad-daddio posted:

I play video games for a couple of hours a night, but not much more than that. It's nice and fun, and I can use GTA online to decompress and kill poo poo talking teenagers. I'm still a healthy active adult male too.

I plan on playing a lot more as I get older. When I'm 80, I'm gonna be playing some hyper-immersive space sim in VR, and griefing poo poo head kids who try and gank lower level players. I fly in, wreck their poo poo and fly off cackling like a crazed old man. Retirement is gonna loving rule.

Also, if you have kids who play video games, you can find common ground with them and actually have real conversations instead of one word replies to all of your questions.

When you’re 80 you’ll be too senile and your reflexes will be too slow to able to play video games.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Dennis System posted:

When you’re 80 you’ll be too senile and your reflexes will be too slow to able to play video games.

Counterpoint: I played csgo awhile back with a dude in his late 70s. He played just fine. Also, when I'm 80 it'll probably be like today's equivalent of being 55 thanks to advances in medicine.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Dennis System posted:

This is why Bioware is still in business, right?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
im pressin f but im paying DISRESPECT to the op:coolfish:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
fyi you are existing within a video game simulation

there is no escape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Rad-daddio posted:

Counterpoint: I played csgo awhile back with a dude in his late 70s. He played just fine. Also, when I'm 80 it'll probably be like today's equivalent of being 55 thanks to advances in medicine.

yeah, I saw something with a retired dude in his late 60s playing PUBG and he was pretty good. Having super high reflexes only matters for pro players.

• Locked thread