Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
computers are hard to use

you can do things to make them better to use for people who aren't 100% dedicated and physically prepared to compute hard though

like instead of using pictures of text, just use text

don't use javascript

think about what hand motions people have to make to use your thing and how or why someone might find them difficult

accessibility isn't just for people with handicaps, it's for people who are busy or tired or on poo poo wifi too

computing should be better for everyone and accessibility is an important part of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i make all my stuff intentionally hard to use because the visually impaired are notoriously difficult to deal with via customer support and i just dont feel like dealing with that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
last year i had to use a webapp i made over elinks over mosh because i was in a place with really bad internet and i'm glad i was too lazy to make it not work in elinks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I was gently dissuaded from working on accessibility in an app by a former manager, because while he acknowledged that it was the right thing to do, it wasn't going to get me promoted.

He was, of course, right, but it still sucks.

On the plus side, I said discover how laughably far ahead iOS is for built in accessibility compared to Android :(

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

last year i had to use a webapp i made over elinks over mosh because i was in a place with really bad internet and i'm glad i was too lazy to make it not work in elinks

this is actually sort of the route i got to wondering whether screen readers had gotten better or not, i was pondering what it would take to implement lynx/links for the modern web. starting with e.g. blink and trying to figure out what is actually important on the page and what can actually be projected down into the terminal, while making it possible to actually explore the entire page from the initial summarizing view

which lead me to wonder whether
1) screenreaders do a lot of that work these days, figuring out and condensing down the most important parts in some intelligent way; or;
2) actually those with impaired sight do not really need it figured out too much, having seen people use assistive technologies in the past i do know that they by way of practice (as is obvious in retrospect) get very quick and efficient in their use of what the software can do; or;
3) a lot of the modern web has gotten shittier for these use-cases (though it was pointed out that it also coincides with the disappearance of flash, so win some lose some).

just surfing onto theverge.com i noted that the tab (and dom) order is such that your first nodes are the facebook, twitter, rss, register/login, search links, only then categories, the categories being hovers which reveal (already populated) divs for a menu which are very far from the categories themselves in the dom. one can compare to arstechnica which is free of hovers, and starts with the actually useful header parts, and the hamburger menu populates a child div on click (which ought to be far more workable), but on the other hand i have no idea how one would tell that the hamburger menu is indeed a menu without the visual, or deep analysis

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the ios screen reader handles yospos pretty decently, i turned it on out of curiosity after the discussion in secfucks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wish your posts were inaccessible, op

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

far as i'm aware screen reader software is still the norm. on that note as far as i'm aware braille is v rarely used by blind people, and i'm only aware of one actual case of those braille computer interfaces being used. that could just be older people with partial sight loss skewing the stats though

windows has been making good advances on colour blindness though, there's built-in filters now for win10 (winkey+ctrl+c)

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
How accessible is the use of emoji? Ignoring the fact they can look dramatically different between different platforms.

On SA I can't really see what they're supposed to be unless I enlarge the font size. I usually mistake them for smilies, hover the mouse over them and then notice there's no alt-text.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Braille was developed for officers to exchange information in the dark without having to speak and possibly reveal their position

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Stick Insect posted:

How accessible is the use of emoji? Ignoring the fact they can look dramatically different between different platforms.

On SA I can't really see what they're supposed to be unless I enlarge the font size. I usually mistake them for smilies, hover the mouse over them and then notice there's no alt-text.

have to imagine that a screen reader can just read the unicode description of an emoji and all is good. on that theme though, the increasing popularity of icons being replaced by a random letter together with a custom .eot font which replaces it with the appropriate pictogram. not that image icons were much better, but i suspect people managed an alt on those a bit more often

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

those are bad outside of accessibility as it encourages loading remote fonts

i can't say i'm terribly fond of looking at web interfaces that are just squares because the person who designed put no thought into the font not loading

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

windows has been making good advances on colour blindness though, there's built-in filters now for win10 (winkey+ctrl+c)

I wish I had this update :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

images of text are the scourge of accessibility. i wonder if someone will make OCR'ing sick memes a thing

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
GOod idea, let me just waste significant work time to make life easier for (up to) 0.01% of users.
Companies are full of worthless people with no drive, skill, or self awareness. Those are the people the accessibility team can take on. Meanwhile, the important people can continue being productive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
I've been on accessibility calls before, and its just fat women and old women narcissistically talking about their loving cats. They get no work done, yet they offer the illusiion of working. Everyone looks down upon these people. Do not be part of that crowd if you want to move up in the company.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Accessibility is easy, just make all the fonts and buttons overly large and hot dog stand everything.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

wish your posts were inaccessible, op

aria-hidden="you"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

images of text are the scourge of accessibility. i wonder if someone will make OCR'ing sick memes a thing

lol

i tried to OCR a share z0ne post once and that's why i've transcribed 2278 share z0ne posts by hand

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

idk if this counts, but just take anyone who has ever designed a low contrast interface and fire them into the sun

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I HAVE GOUT posted:

I've been on accessibility calls before, and its just fat women and old women narcissistically talking about their loving cats. They get no work done, yet they offer the illusiion of working. Everyone looks down upon these people. Do not be part of that crowd if you want to move up in the company.

cool toxic workplace, I guess you’ve never presented to a colorblind ceo. a lot of this poo poo isn’t hard and much of it doesn’t even need that much consideration, I don’t know why you gotta be a pos about it

anyways for maps http://colorbrewer2.org/ is useful

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I recently hooked mutt up with w3m to generate text versions of HTML emails and it's doing a seriously decent job there. New text browser of choice.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I HAVE GOUT posted:

I wish you would find the log out button more accessible

holy poo poo what a bad take

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

I HAVE GOUT posted:

GOod idea, let me just waste significant work time to make life easier for (up to) 0.01% of users.
Companies are full of worthless people with no drive, skill, or self awareness. Those are the people the accessibility team can take on. Meanwhile, the important people can continue being productive.

i haven't posted in yospos in like months and i'm here right now to tell you how loving stupid every sentence of your post is

please source your quotes

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i work for a goverment institution, so our clusterfuck of websites ~must~ be ADA compliant. they get audited for it and everything

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I HAVE GOUT posted:

so when did you start on your company's accessibility team?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Midjack posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

I HAVE GOUT posted:

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Have you tried sucking yourself off

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah, an unironic "gently caress people with disabilites" post. i think that deserves a ban actually

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

chain probe imo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Midjack posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anyone who cant use a computer has a wonderful gift. how dare you try and take that from them.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

my bitter bi rival posted:

anyone who cant use a computer has a wonderful gift. how dare you try and take that from them.

hey, misery loves company, pal.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

i tried to OCR a share z0ne post once and that's why i've transcribed 2278 share z0ne posts by hand

fyi https://dasearch.zone/

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

i work for a goverment institution, so our clusterfuck of websites ~must~ be ADA compliant. they get audited for it and everything

same for larger businesses. theres been several rulings recently in favor of employees at companies with inaccessible software, so its becoming a hot thing to fix. not a bad time to be a decent dev and not an rear end in a top hat

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Agile Vector posted:

not a bad time to be a decent dev

gently caress.

Agile Vector posted:

and not an rear end in a top hat

gently caress!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

many devs ive seen be apathetic towards accessibility are often also very lazy/lovely devs.

although ive never actually seen someone be actively hostile towards accessibility until this thread lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

NICE!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Last Chance posted:

many devs ive seen be apathetic towards accessibility are often also very lazy/lovely devs.

although ive never actually seen someone be actively hostile towards accessibility until this thread lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i get insanely mad about user-hostile software and even just user-apathetic software that i see people i work with producing its like drat idiot just put 10% more thought or effort into the thing you're doing and save us all from misery of working with the thing you're making

like i know you're a software developer making software for other developers but you still shouldn't be antagonistic to them!!!

• Locked thread