Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder

qirex posted:

we once had a pitch meeting with an agency to help with designing our framework and when we asked about accessibility in their working practice they just sort of stopped and stared for 30 seconds

even the agency we did hire was producing wireframes with like light grey on white indicators and stuff and I think the in-house framework team redid every bit of it

clients are the worst and agencies are the worst and that's why the last 15 years of my career have been in-house

plz take me with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ImmovableSquid posted:

plz take me with you
just find a huge evil company and apply to it, that's what I did

not that working for a giant bank is the best environment but at least everything isn't constant on fire/muppet arms status, it's just as screwed up but at a much more manageable pace

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder

qirex posted:

not that working for a giant bank is the best environment but at least everything isn't constant on fire/muppet arms status, it's just as screwed up but at a much more manageable pace

If I didn't think now would be the worst time to be the newest guy at another company, I would. Maybe in a year...or four depending on the economy

FUUUCK

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ImmovableSquid posted:

If I didn't think now would be the worst time to be the newest guy at another company, I would.

on the plus side, it’d be your chance to start wearing a cape to work since people wouldn’t really know what to expect from you.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

I can completely sympathize with you on this cause that is pretty much my experience too

but hey it’s better than working as sandwich artist and delivery guy in idaho and barely scrapping by

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

MononcQc posted:

usually the first half would need to be in French, and bigger as well!

is this a quebec joke or something

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

redleader posted:

is this a quebec joke or something

If by joke you mean law, yes it is a Quebec joke.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am not sure what is even the point driven at here, obviously there is no money to be made in making your product being accessible, and i don't think anyone is really interesting in claiming that. the typical software developer having embraced all they do being without any value except to make them money is also not really surprising

the thread is likely a lot better off being about; what can technology in fact do for people with various handicaps *without* going into how trying to actually do them would be throwing away our destiny as randian supermen in a very handicap-free gulch somewhere

i think the core point of the OP was that really good design has accessibility baked in already to a large extent,

of course the average javascript does not get paid for that level of thinking and the volatility and speed of change in the web stack also means that it is difficult to get any industry standard to stick; also average the design ideas guy will piss, poo poo and moan at the restriction of his creative freedoms, but this situation is not entirely unlike how fancy pantsy architects need a crew of structural engineers to tell them that some things just aren't possible

also the thing with disabilities seems to be that it's not a very small minority after all, because a lot of people seem to have mild mental or physical things going on that do not outright restrict them from doing things, but merely make them slower or more sluggish - an accessible design could improve the productivity of these people. like with screen readers - i would use the poo poo out of something that could just read me the news while biking to work each morning, but this kind of software does not seem to be developed because a) duh just listen to the radio, b) reading a screen is good enough for most and c) it's not worth catering to the small market of blind people

as a really dumb example of accessible design benefiting me, an able-bodied person, is the following life hack: it is much easier to walk on the street staring at your phone constantly if you stick to the tactile paving bit

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

big corp train, toot toot. other plus is everything is usual either in house dev and old, or vendor and bad so theres a never ending list of apps to make 1) usable without a shitload of training and 2) accessible without a shitload of lawsuits so my work is literally never done and the talent pool for my skillset is fairly small so theres always demand for my work

its all layers of acceptable evil, like im not making cigarettes more accessible to children or something and most of what i do is so our employees resolve customer issues faster so its technically helping several people in their daily lives

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
how about making stuff accessible for people with ADHD? no videos or moving elements allowed

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

atomicthumbs posted:

how about making stuff accessible for people with ADHD? no videos or moving elements allowed

But then they'll just move on to a different site!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

atomicthumbs posted:

wcag 2 standards say no more than 5 seconds without a pause control and no more than 3 quick flashes to reduce the risk of seizures and slower than 3 a second when there is flashing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

geocities would literally kill people basically

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

atomicthumbs posted:

Most of the time, you can solve this yourself.

ToggleAnimatedGifs for Firefox was great for reducing distractions as you're trying to read something, but it no longer works. Useful bonus feature was restarting a long animated gif on demand.

I haven't found a proper replacement.

Reader mode is another way to reduce distracting elements.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
somebody needs to invent a digital fidget cube/busy box thingy.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
You mean a mouse and keyboard?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

like little radio buttons and sliders and stuff.

but they can't actually do anything.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

pls don't trivialize this innovative idea.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

like little radio buttons and sliders and stuff.

but they can't actually do anything.

windows 3.1 had one

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

windows 3.1 had one

cool cool

adhd goon just use windows 3.1

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stick Insect posted:

You mean a mouse and keyboard?

i constantly highlight and unhighlight text as i read it and it drives some of my coworkers nuts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

i constantly highlight and unhighlight text as i read it and it drives some of my coworkers nuts

doing user testing this behavior is pretty common, that and causal clicking and random mousing. its neat to ask what folks were thinking of when they were doing it and they look baffled since its an unconscious behavior. also fun to see how it clutters heat tracking for clicks

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

But then they'll just move on to a different site!

don't worry, I'm sure I'll be back

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
accessibility is great and for Apple platforms making a native UI accessible is both very easy and makes it easy to write tests against too

instead of having to write tests that click at specific positions and compare bitmaps and such bullshit, using the accessibility infrastructure for testing means you can locate controls by containment (same as VoiceOver, full keyboard navigation, and other assistive technologies) and ask the OS to invoke them for you and get you their new state

and you can easily make controls use language independent accessibility identifiers, too, so you can run the same set of tests against a UI no matter what language and region the user is in—even one with a very different layout like right-to-left

if your organization’s not taking accessibility seriously it’s not just loving over its users, it’s loving over itself

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Gonna make a bot that contributes aria attr updates to open source repos, but its all wrong information and doesnt line up. But theyll merge the PR’s anyways because they dont care enough about the disabled to test that it works.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Gonna make a bot that contributes aria attr updates to open source repos, but its all wrong information and doesnt line up. But theyll merge the PR’s anyways because they dont care enough about the disabled to test that it works.

your a dipshit

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/how-blind-players-succeed-at-sports-video-games-theyve-never-seen/

ars coverage of a GDC presentation by EA on accessibility

sports games make sense, but folks are playing Need For Speed games without the use of the screen. good read

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Speaking of accessibility! Today work sent out an email about a stress workshop. The email was sent with one regular line of text and then a big picture of uselessness, and then all the details were part of the picture. I instantly thought how terrible that was.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

JawnV6 posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/how-blind-players-succeed-at-sports-video-games-theyve-never-seen/

ars coverage of a GDC presentation by EA on accessibility

sports games make sense, but folks are playing Need For Speed games without the use of the screen. good read

Neat stuff. Thanks!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gonna see if i can convince work to license a copy of jaws instead of nvda for testing because i want something pricier than an adobe creative suite bundle

also the devs i helped the other day had the most user hostile site. unique ids arent just for screen readers :shepface:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Speaking of accessibility! Today work sent out an email about a stress workshop. The email was sent with one regular line of text and then a big picture of uselessness, and then all the details were part of the picture. I instantly thought how terrible that was.

reply with just the text

Section 508

and CC your HR department

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

aria-labelledby="myballs"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Agile Vector posted:

aria-labelledby="myballs"

No matter how accessible you make them, dude, no one wants your balls.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

is that some web thing?

the web is already accessible, because it presents the hierarchical structure of the document you’re reading and allows easy labeling of form fields

for applications the operating system typically provides some baseline functionality for its native toolkit, which developers can leverage for exposing their native UI to accessibility tools more gracefully

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

eschaton posted:

is that some web thing?

the web is already accessible, because it presents the hierarchical structure of the document you’re reading and allows easy labeling of form fields

lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i keep forgetting i want to try yospos using a screen reader sometime

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

i keep forgetting i want to try yospos using a screen reader sometime

i think theres a few yosposters that have limited vision and do use a screen reader, so id be curious how well it works. itd be nice to fix anything glaring

eschaton posted:

is that some web thing?

i mean, maybe if web devs werent lazy assholes

i just today preemptively caught one of our devs mapping clicks to an image to act like a button, in a way that wont gain focus, so keyboard only users and screen reader users cant reach the control. also it was unlabeled so it is invisible to screen readers because i can almost bet good money they didnt add alt text to the image

at best itll announce an image as it reads content but wont announce any functionality, also this control manages page flow so its important if youd like to use the app to any real degree

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

for those curious, the free screen reader nv access (nvda) is available for windows: https://www.nvaccess.org

i prefer the microsoft speech engine but everyone has their preferences

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i mean, maybe if web devs werent lazy assholes

i just today preemptively caught one of our devs mapping clicks to an image to act like a button, in a way that wont gain focus, so keyboard only users and screen reader users cant reach the control.

that doesn’t sound like hypertext document markup to me, are you sure they’re not misusing the technology to do something other than document presentation?

if you need an application you should write an application, not try to pretend web pages are an application

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

eschaton posted:

that doesn’t sound like hypertext document markup to me, are you sure they’re not misusing the technology to do something other than document presentation?

if you need an application you should write an application, not try to pretend web pages are an application

ship has looong sailed on that one, pal

• Locked thread