Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

eschaton posted:

that doesn’t sound like hypertext document markup to me, are you sure they’re not misusing the technology to do something other than document presentation?

if you need an application you should write an application, not try to pretend web pages are an application

not sure if you're trolling or not, but here's my web access screed:

frontend web dev is the easiest way to learn basic coding, so that combined with the orgy of html, css, and js that makes the modern www is a catastrophe for accessibility. the problems arise out of ignorance, not spite

html headers, form input, text, buttons, etc. - the fundamentals - have built-in accessibility, but since everything's play-doh when you're writing from scratch, you can get away with creating elements that do things they weren't originally meant to do

so for instance agile vector described an image that does what a button is supposed to do. if you were doing things correctly, you would use a <button> tag, the browser would recognize it for what it is, and accessibility software could interpret it. however, it's possible to make an image that's styled to look just like a button, then create a click event to make it do the exact same function, but the comptuer has no way of interpreting that. it treats it as just another image, which to the blind is meaningless except for any alternative information that is given.

the same goes for headers. if you wrap some words with <h1> it declares that this bit of text is a title of a section and is larger and more important than others. you could get the same visual effect by using say <span style="font-size:30px;">, but for a person using a screen reader it's just another part of the document that is no more important than the rest.

it almost always happens because a lot of people aren't aware that html elements have significant roles beyond how a web page is presented visually, but they're able to shim just about anything anywhere and make it work if you click on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think its more that accessibility is only an afterthought in html and then to add javascript on top of that is totally counter to accessibility so theres no way to do it right without ignoring 99.9999% of "modern" web "development"

its not ignorance so much as its very bad tools

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho i guess you could say using html/js/css at all is a sign of ignorance

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

theres no way to do it right without ignoring 99.9999% of "modern" web "development"

but, could there be a downside??

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://blog.emojipedia.org/apple-proposes-new-accessibility-emojis/

quote:

In a submission to the Unicode Consortium today, Apple has proposed a suite of new “accessibility emojis”.

New emojis proposed include a guide dog, hearing aid, prosthetic limbs, as well as people using canes and different types of wheelchairs.
https://twitter.com/tdoyle_/status/728002864593829888

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

apple leading the way as usual

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
That tweet speaks to my soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!