Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax
Wait, even if it was uphill when you landed you would still go backwards (towards the car?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

immortal anime posted:

Wait, even if it was uphill when you landed you would still go backwards (towards the car?)
Are you going North or South at the time?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

immortal anime posted:

Right, but a car will always be faster than a human. It's like the old paradox of what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead? It tries to set you up into thinking they weigh the same, but lead has more density. Now apply this same thinking to a human vs a car, and the car will always be faster--but we're getting off track. I think that the human would still roll in the direction opposite of the car if they jumped. No one has shown me physical proof otherwise.

That’s not a paradox. Weight and density aren’t the same thing. A pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else, because the measure of the pound is defined. There will just be a greater volume of feathers to equal the weight of one pound versus a pound of lead.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Emptyquote this post if you support re-permabanning the OP

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wife's right. While it might seem to you that you move backwards, an observer outside of your frame of reference would still see your position change according to car's velocity.

It's kind of like jumping in a downwards elevator (try that at home!)

Re: uphill. You probably won't be able to roll uphill, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't be slammed at 70MPH into the hill, upon which your broken body will roll down if its steep enough.

Jumping upwards out of falling elevator/hot air balloon is also not going to save you from the impact unless you're strapped to a rocket or something.

Colonel Cancer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 12, 2018

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you have an elevator in your house OP

Khorne
May 1, 2002
You're never moving at all. Every object, including the world, is moving around you.

Your wife is driving 10MPH forward and the earth is moving 70MPH backward. When the car disappears, you'd remain motionless. Unfortunately, the earth is still moving backward and would feed you pavement at 70MPH.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

immortal anime posted:

This is nonsense.

Sorry about that!
HTH means "Hope This Helps" and comes from what the kids these days call intarwebs slang.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

immortal anime posted:

I guess we can never really know, because there's no way to safely test it.

No. We can never know because with cars you can only know either their speed or their location, but never both due to the Walter White uncertainty principle. If you walk off the back of a car you'll knock the local Higgs field out of it's current metastable state into it's true lowest energy state, and the resulting vacuum decay would overwrite all matter in the existing universe.

It's why most localities have outlawed ghostriding the whip.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if you jump from a plane without a parachute but then jump really fast just as you hit the ground

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dolphin posted:

What if you jump from a plane without a parachute but then jump really fast just as you hit the ground

It's called "Base Jumping", duh.

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wife's right. While it might seem to you that you move backwards, an observer outside of your frame of reference would still see your position change according to car's velocity.

It's kind of like jumping in a downwards elevator (try that at home!)

Re: uphill. You probably won't be able to roll uphill, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't be slammed at 70MPH into the hill, upon which your broken body will roll down if its steep enough.

Jumping upwards out of falling elevator/hot air balloon is also not going to save you from the impact unless you're strapped to a rocket or something.

Thank you. This is actually starting to make sense. I have another physics problem, but a lot of the people in this thread are being mean and I'm kind of too scared to ask it now. Again, thank you.

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax

Super Grocery Kart posted:

That’s not a paradox. Weight and density aren’t the same thing. A pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else, because the measure of the pound is defined. There will just be a greater volume of feathers to equal the weight of one pound versus a pound of lead.

You've given me a lot to think about. Pound of feathers = MORE, but because more density in lead = less. Thank you.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

immortal anime posted:

Thank you. This is actually starting to make sense. I have another physics problem, but a lot of the people in this thread are being mean and I'm kind of too scared to ask it now. Again, thank you.
There are no stupid questions

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

immortal anime posted:

If it's of the same caliber, you might be able to find an easy online resource. It's about highschool physics/physics 101 level stuff.

If it's got to do with any kind of movement, always remember that rapid acceleration is what's bad for your health. It's not falling that kills you, just the sudden stop at the end.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

immortal anime posted:

You've given me a lot to think about. Pound of feathers = MORE, but because more density in lead = less. Thank you.

Actually it's more because lead would be a troy pound which is smaller than a pound of feathers.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Ben franklin wasnt afraid of no god damned lightning and thats why we have electricity, because of that brave man. You know what you need to do.

immortal anime
Oct 21, 2017

by Lowtax
Bonus Problem: Basically I was thinking about how a bullet can slice through anything, like wood and steel. Then I was thinking about how karate masters can chop through wood without being injured. I think, like the bullet, it has to do with speed-therefore, if I went fast enough, we can just say "speed x" could I travel through a wooden barn without being hurt? Or even faster, maybe a brick wall? How fast do I need to go to be able to break through things, basically. See what I'm getting at?

e:in addition, i understand maybe my skin would tear open or something--but maybe if i wore an injury proof latex suit or whatever--but maybe i dont need to if I'm going fast enough

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Only one way to find out, chief

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

immortal anime posted:

Bonus Problem: Basically I was thinking about how a bullet can slice through anything, like wood and steel. Then I was thinking about how karate masters can chop through wood without being injured. I think, like the bullet, it has to do with speed-therefore, if I went fast enough, we can just say "speed x" could I travel through a wooden barn without being hurt? Or even faster, maybe a brick wall? How fast do I need to go to be able to break through things, basically. See what I'm getting at?

e:in addition, i understand maybe my skin would tear open or something--but maybe if i wore an injury proof latex suit or whatever--but maybe i dont need to if I'm going fast enough
the math is complicated, but i think if we stuffed you into a cannon and shot you at the wall at point blank range it would do the trick

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
Since we are answering physics questions, I've got another question: If you would put a swimming pool on the moon, would you be swimming faster or slower?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Only one way to find out, chief
experimentation really is the only way in these scenarios. like how do you see if a full grown man is strong enough to stop a lathe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PzPfzLeDa0

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
This is similar to the old problem of what happens when a car drives up a ramp attached to the back of a moving truck (like the scene from Knight Rider). Say the truck is moving at 50 mph and the car is moving at 55 mph: does the car simply creep up the ramp at 5 mph, or do its spinning wheels catch onto the ramp and launch it forward?

The former is what's correct. Mythbusters showed this a few years ago.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
sorry op I don't do 'maths'

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

immortal anime posted:

Bonus Problem: Basically I was thinking about how a bullet can slice through anything, like wood and steel.

This is an easy one. You can do it with a bicycle on an 11 degree incline. The trick is to ride into the brick wall nude and covered in baby oil to minimize wind resistance and also minimize friction while passing through the wall. Make sure your mom takes video.

Ha, I meant wife!

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
He actually thinks he's "trolling" GBS.
Echo chamber getting boring, eh?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

your dick problems have nothing to do with physics, look up biomechanics

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this is the cloverfield paradox all over again

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

if OP jerked off with his autonomous severed arm, would he still feel it in his hand?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Spinster posted:

He actually thinks he's "trolling" GBS.
Echo chamber getting boring, eh?

I blame the KenM thread, but its not going to stop my Canadian sensibilities.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

if OP jerked off with his autonomous severed arm, would he still feel it in his hand?

Yes, this is called phantom limb syndrome.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

MrOzzy posted:

Since we are answering physics questions, I've got another question: If you would put a swimming pool on the moon, would you be swimming faster or slower?

Trick question I'm not on the moon

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Aschlafly posted:

This is similar to the old problem of what happens when a car drives up a ramp attached to the back of a moving truck (like the scene from Knight Rider). Say the truck is moving at 50 mph and the car is moving at 55 mph: does the car simply creep up the ramp at 5 mph, or do its spinning wheels catch onto the ramp and launch it forward?

The former is what's correct. Mythbusters showed this a few years ago.
For this one, just imagine it in terms of momentum and the answer is super obvious. Specifically, imagine one or the other going 0mph and this interaction happening. From there you can extrapolate to what happens at 55 and 50.

My previous post was 100% serious, too. Reference frames and things like lorentz transformations are super cool and useful.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 12, 2018

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

If you wanna see some real poo poo while going 80 down the highway drop a golfball out the window. Wew lad

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sorry that the education system failed you guys so badly jfc

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you move backwards at the correct angle you can clip through the bottom of the car and fall to the next level

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New physics problem: if one car is traveling Northeast at 5mph, and another is traveling Southwest at 23mph what time do they collide and are there any survives

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
your retarded

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Emptyquote this post if you support re-permabanning the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Weed Dad