Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Demon's Souls is a 2009 action RPG developed by FromSoftware, known for having previously developed... hold on a moment *looks at Wikipedia* King's Field and Armored Core, among other titles. It was a project that went through much developmental turmoil, ultimately forming a product with so much potential that Sony's head of product development remarked "This is crap. This is an unbelievably bad game." and the company did not bother to release it in the West. But then it got picked up by Atlus, word of mouth spread, and here we are nearly a decade later with four sequels that people won't shut the gently caress up about. So let's go back to where it all started (please ignore FromSoftware's previous 20 years of game development) and see just what got the ball rolling.

This is going to be a comprehensive playthrough showing off all of the game's content. For those in the know, yes that includes character tendency, world tendency, and even... pure bladestone. I'll be showing off as much of the online interactions as I can, and if anyone wants to try and invade or be summoned by me I'll be posting when I'm recording here. Note that you have to have the NA version of the game because multiplayer is region-locked and that's the game version I have. Also, the PSN version is 50% off for the rest of the month.

In addition to comprehensively covering the game I also want to incorporate viewer participation. Demon's Souls is fairly open in its progression and provides a wide variety of equipment with which to slay demons, and while I could just show off "the best" items and progress through how I typically do, I think it would be more fun to leave it up to viewer choice. So each update will include a strawpoll asking where to go next, and what to use there.

I'll be updating frequently. Kind of don't have a choice given how close the servers are to shutting down.

Watch the attract movie first!

Genocyber fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2018 around 22:35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

I so happy hear to be on the ground floor. I loved your Bloodborne lp since you actually took time to explain everything.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

Unleash the Elements.

I'll be glad to see how the world tendency works out, I never saw any of that stuff at all.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Oh hell yeah. Best thing I've seen pop up on my Youtube subs page in a long time. Really looking forward to this.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LordGugs posted:

I so happy hear to be on the ground floor. I loved your Bloodborne lp since you actually took time to explain everything.

That's what I aim for!

tithin posted:

I'll be glad to see how the world tendency works out, I never saw any of that stuff at all.

Not surprised, it's very poorly thought out.

RVT posted:

Oh hell yeah. Best thing I've seen pop up on my Youtube subs page in a long time. Really looking forward to this.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

...It shone as if its guts and skin, its bones were phosphorus. As if it were all cold and bright rock. A firefly, a death mask, a wooden skull.
A fegkarion. A moon elemental.

DeS is a game I keep wanting to play precisely because it's this oddball experimental experience compared to its successors. Unfortunately I tend to stick to the PC for my gaming and Sony loves being a butt about porting older stuff it owns rights for, so instead I have to stick with living vicariously with LPs like this.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Nice, I've been on a real DeS kick lately and this will be rad.

Crane Fist
Jun 5, 2012

I can end a conversation
real quick

I'm the one piece of poo poo who voted for barbarian

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

If your character cannot move nimbly in armor, she needs more training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI

Anyway, before 28:th will be tough. If you make it, the phasing will be really rapid.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

DeS is a game I keep wanting to play precisely because it's this oddball experimental experience compared to its successors. Unfortunately I tend to stick to the PC for my gaming and Sony loves being a butt about porting older stuff it owns rights for, so instead I have to stick with living vicariously with LPs like this.

I forget who but someone (might have been matthewmatosis) made a pretty good video discussing just that. How Demon's Souls, unfettered unlike the following games, was a lot more free to do weird poo poo.

Crane Fist posted:

I'm the one piece of poo poo who voted for barbarian

Nah, you cool. Now the people who voted Royalty on the other hand...

Crystalgate posted:

If your character cannot move nimbly in armor, she needs more training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI

Anyway, before 28:th will be tough. If you make it, the phasing will be really rapid.

That's a really cool video!

And yeah the servers'll probably shutdown before I finish, but I hope to at least show off some of the multi stuff before then.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DeS is the one game in the series I've never been able to make much progress in. I dunno what it is, but I always hit a wall in every area and I can never make any further progress. I think the game just hates me, personally.

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011
Boy, I sure wish I hadn't been such an asshole to third-party voters, because now I'm too busy getting fucked up the ass by Trump to do shitty Let's Plays anymore.

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

IMO there's a definite route that you should do first to make things a lot easier. Shrine of Storms 1 has a lot of good equipment and Tower of Latria 1 is a decent way to make progress if you're magey (Homing Soul Arrow 420erryday gently caress haters).
The big issue is that there's a definite grinding aspect to this game, and it can take some time before you can get a proper build going. Also the equipment limit, carry weight and item degradation are all stupid mechanics that make the first run a needless chore (and frankly a big reason why mages own in this game).

But yeah, if you find yourself kicking it, chances are you need to pick up a toy in those stages.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

DeS is the one game in the series I've never been able to make much progress in. I dunno what it is, but I always hit a wall in every area and I can never make any further progress. I think the game just hates me, personally.

Nah, I can assure that you DeS hates everyone. It's just a matter of taking the pain.

SSNeoman posted:

IMO there's a definite route that you should do first to make things a lot easier. Shrine of Storms 1 has a lot of good equipment and Tower of Latria 1 is a decent way to make progress if you're magey (Homing Soul Arrow 420erryday gently caress haters).
The big issue is that there's a definite grinding aspect to this game, and it can take some time before you can get a proper build going. Also the equipment limit, carry weight and item degradation are all stupid mechanics that make the first run a needless chore (and frankly a big reason why mages own in this game).

But yeah, if you find yourself kicking it, chances are you need to pick up a toy in those stages.

One downside to the game's design is all the unnecessary mechanics going on. You can't get rid of them without removing the game's odd charm, imo, but they make this probably the hardest game in the series to approach. If you go in with a bit of knowledge, even just what you've learned from future games, it's not that bad.

KieranWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

One downside to the game's design is all the unnecessary mechanics going on. You can't get rid of them without removing the game's odd charm, imo, but they make this probably the hardest game in the series to approach. If you go in with a bit of knowledge, even just what you've learned from future games, it's not that bad.

That's good advice. I actually started the series with DkS, then came back and played DeS post-DS2 after a friend gave me a copy. Wound up loving it to death, even with its weird mechanics (although I did hit a wall with the Valley of Defilement at first--that place sucks no matter how many times they reuse it ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Genocyber posted:

I always thought Demon's was easiest, and I played the games as they came out. World tendency and item burden can be frustrating, and the upgrade system is sort of a mess, but there's enough upgrade materials just floating around Stonefang to upgrade the dragon longsword to +4, and that's more than enough to beat the game with.