Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TraderStav
May 19, 2006
At least that dreadful man has gone. For now.

Problem description: I built my son a light-weight gaming computer a little over two years ago. I re-used an old HTPC case that I now realize likely had some very bad venting issues and caused a failure =somewhere= in the machine. Rather than build a brand new one I picked up a good deal on an Optiplex 7010 and pulled the video card and hard drives from the old machine. When I attempt to boot from the hard drives (after removing the factory Dell hard drive) I get a POST error that there isn't any bootable drives. I figured at first that the drives got toasted and moved on. After setting up Windows with the factory Dell hard drive I toss the primary hard drive into an external case and it boots just perfectly and I can see everything (but obviously cannot seem to access the personal user folders).

What seems to be the issue here? Why would it work as a secondary drive but not as a bootable one, when nothing seemingly has changed?

Attempted fixes: Other than mounting it as an external secondary drive, nothing.

Recent changes: See above description

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs: Dell Optiplex 7010, Seagate 160GB 7200RPM HD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Giving a gentle bump for day crew. Any insights? Can't fathom why it'd lose being bootable and still have all of its data.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fiddled around in BIOS and found a solution. Disabled smart boot. Then enabled legacy mode instead of UEFI and it fired right up. There was one other option in boot settings that allowed me to enable legacy but cannot recall it right now.